COVERTED FROM NEWS POST TO ARTICLE AT SHADOW’S REQUEST
Lately, there have been a very large amount of downloads that cause 404 errors. This is not a new error, and in fact has been around since the start, but it seems that many people still do not know about it. Here are a few tips to protect your upload from causing a 404 error:
1. Do not use special characters. Names like “Çóõl Ñêw Päçk.zip” simply will not work.
2. Try to avoid uploading things that contain spaces within the ZIP file name. This does not always result in a 404, but it can cause problems.
3. Make sure the file you upload is actually a .ZIP file. This is not specific to 404 errors, but causes problems anyway. .ZIP files must be created with a compression program such as WinZip. You cannot simply rename the file to have a .zip extension. That will not work.
4. Try to avoid odd characters in your name. Again, this is not specific to 404 errors, but can nonetheless cause problems, both to reader’s eyes and to file paths.
5. Assure that your file is not above two megabytes. If it is, ask an administrator with FTP abilities (Bobby, iCeD, and FQuist being the most active ones) to upload it for you.
If a file is a 404, there is no need to post sixteen reviews all containing the information about the 404. It is simply not necessary. Instead, contact an administrator about it. If there is already a review saying that there is a 404, do not post another one. This simply crowds the page, wastes web space and bandwidth, and is simply a waste of time. If a level does not work on first upload, check to see if any of the above problems exist. If they do, try to do away with these problems before reuploading so the downloads page is not spammed by a hundred non-working levels. Also, administrators are not capable of fixing every bad link. It is up to you to do so instead. Malformed level uploads may be deleted without notification.
Additionally, I must remind everyone that “I’ll review this later” posts are considered spam and are against J2O guidelines. If you will review it, review it. There is no need to post informing people that you will review it later, especially if you never do. Equally as unacceptable are posts that are completely irrelevant to the level. If you wish to talk personally with the author, please contact them via private messages. Both sorts of posts may be deleted without notification.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Jazz2Online © 1999-INFINITY (Site Credits). Jazz Jackrabbit, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Jazz Jackrabbit Advance and all related trademarks and media are ™ and © Epic Games. Lori Jackrabbit is © Dean Dodrill. J2O development powered by Loops of Fury and Chemical Beats.
Original site design by Ovi Demetrian at GotToSeeIt.com. DrJones is the puppet master. Eat your lima beans, Johnny.