PDA

View Full Version : IP address problems

Bongorule
Mar 25, 2001, 02:43 PM
I have a problem Playing JJ2. My IPA is unpingable and I can't ping other people... If someone wants to help me please do so!!!!! I used to be able to play JJ2 on the internet but one day it just didn't work.

~Bongo

=)

Derby
Mar 25, 2001, 02:46 PM
I've spent hours into the nights trying to help this person in the past, to play JJ2. He was playing some time ago in 2000 , but can no longer play due to some mysterious reason. He says that when he joins other servers he always gets eternal "pinging". even worse, he has NO trace of a firewall program on his computer. He has a Windows LT Modem (Windows Lucent Technologies Modem) and strangely, can get better connections than myself. The only problem? He can't ping anyone, no one can ping him. It sounds like a firewall problem, but I guess I can't solve it unless I was at his house. I can't do much from here. Does someone know the solution here?

Bobby aka Dizzy
Mar 25, 2001, 03:35 PM
Hmm...

would you happen to have any strange settings with AOL?

Derby
Mar 25, 2001, 03:47 PM
What strange settings might you have in mind?

The settings seem pretty reasonable, and I haven't seen any "strange" settings in there.

Could I suggest winsock settings? I've tried a lot of things, but to no avail.

Bongorule
Mar 25, 2001, 04:22 PM
No, I don't think I have any weird settings with AOL. Derby and I are really close friends and we've met in person so I have told him all the information possible... So, we still haven't acomplished anything.

~Bongo

Wimster
Mar 27, 2001, 02:36 AM
Perhaps you are missing or have a corrupt dll. Like 'icmp.dll' or 'winsock.dll' in the windows system directory. I'm not even sure if Jazz uses one of them, but what the heck.

Electric Ir
Mar 27, 2001, 04:25 AM
Turn the firewall off if you have one.

~Electric

Bongorule
Mar 27, 2001, 08:05 PM
No, I am psitive I don't have a firewall... But this problem, it's making me so irritated. I hate it... and I don't realize why it was working and then it stoped. The only logical reason seems to be a firewall... but it can't be, it isn't... so, what could it be? I would ask my parents to help, but hey... this problem doesn't concern them, so why buy a new modem? Do you people see my point? I thank you guys for trying to help me out, even if your tip is a workd long... Derby, his tips are hours long, and they are always logical and worth trying but it isn't working!

Anybody with help, please, dish it at me... I want to play this game for all it's worth to its full extent...

~Bongo

Ice M A N
Mar 28, 2001, 04:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, what does your IP address show when using winipcfg, and what does it show at www.whatismyipaddress.com (http://www.whatismyipaddress.com)

(Only tell the first half or so of it, to prevent a "haxor" or someone from getting it)

Wild Angel
Mar 29, 2001, 10:36 PM
Hmmmm, do you happen to be on a network with other computers with firewalls?

Derby
Mar 29, 2001, 10:43 PM
I don't believe he's hooked up to any local networks at all.

I C E Y, his first number is always 172 (obviously enough) and the most common second number he gets is 158. Aside from that, I wouldn't know much about any later connections.

Alberto
Mar 31, 2001, 11:38 AM
Well, i had this problem before with my ISP

it just happened for a few hours

If u have a friend or parent that uses your same ISp check it from there

If not is your computer

Are u using modem/cable/ISDN etc?

Bongorule
Apr 3, 2001, 08:48 PM
I seriously don't know... I have 172. as the first # and 130. as the second... I don't have any firewall programs... There is just this one program, where if I end task it it'll shut down AOL. It is called Rnaapp .

Anybody EVER heard of it...?

Alberto
Apr 4, 2001, 01:35 PM
Yes

Rnaap must be something about the connection, it happens to me too, if I close it with control+alt+del my modem disconnects, I don't think that Rnaap is doing something about your connection

Well

Check if you have 10052 to 10057 TCP and UDP ports open or check it with ports scanner, or telnet your self

Bongorule
Apr 14, 2001, 07:21 PM
Yea, when I close Rnaapp it sometimes closes down AOL. But when I do it other times I can kinda ping other peoples IPA.

I found out that the whole problem may just be with my ISP, AOL. AOL has a lot of problems so I might considor doing something about that...

~Bongo

Lamer
Apr 14, 2001, 10:44 PM
Derby, how about installing a remote administration tool on his computer so that you won't need to go to his house?

But then if the problem is server side, as in with AOL, I doubt you can do much even if you do go to his house.

Visit Spaztic Space (http://www.jzinx.com/) for some cool stuff and drop by the SSMB (http://www.jzinx.com/ssmb/) while you're there.

Derby
Apr 14, 2001, 11:45 PM
The problem was the exact opposite. He couldn't ping others' IP addresses. However, we somehow resolved this by having him switch screen names. I don't know why it worked, but things are back to normal. He's back into the community. Thanks for your help. :-P