PDA

View Full Version : For those of you working on a Jazz 3D

Hazel-rah
Sep 7, 2004, 01:10 AM
You are crazy if you are still working on a Quake 3 mod.
I've been reading the threads in this section and it appears to be a tie between Q3 and UT2k4.
I think you should all start working on a mod for Doom 3 rather than Quake 3 because Doom 3 is id Software's next generation engine. Q3 is now at least 5 years old and very tired.

Even though Epic Games is competing with id Software I think the best chance of success is with the Doom 3 engine rather than UT2k4. It's much more powerful... and to me it appears that Unreal II was the last Unreal game to have Single Player.

These are my thoughts... I'd like to hear yours.

~Conk

Doubble Dutch
Sep 7, 2004, 06:01 AM
Of course, there is already massive progress on the Quake mod, doing DooM would mean starting over.

Hazel-rah
Sep 7, 2004, 10:36 AM
What is the purpose of releasing a game that's built on old technology when the new technology is available right now? I doubt people have gotten that far anyway.

I think br>piet (http://plu1.pluhosting.com/~jazz2onl/jcf/member.php?u=1037) (shown here (http://www.eckhart.da.ru/jazz2/)) has the right idea. You can't have a game if you can't model. I'm going to try to make my own Jazz model in 3DS Max. I might even be generous enough to release it to everyone if it all works out. I really want to see what you all can do with the proper tools and resources.

Violet CLM
Sep 7, 2004, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure if you realize this, but that is the Quake 3 mod.

Monolith
Sep 7, 2004, 08:58 PM
Does that mean you'll buy us a Doom 3 engine licence?

Hazel-rah
Sep 7, 2004, 10:38 PM
I realise it's a Quake 3 mod. I'm just saying he had the right idea by getting a model in the game first. He should take that model and put it in Doom 3.

Obviously no one here has the kind of money to buy a Doom 3 developer license. I'm talking about modifying Doom 3 and making a demo video that will inspire the rest of us.

Violet CLM
Sep 7, 2004, 10:45 PM
So... you're saying, instead of making a 3D Jazz game, he should make a video which will inspire people to make a 3D Jazz game.

Hazel-rah
Sep 7, 2004, 11:04 PM
No, you're missing the point. I'm saying make a cinematic demo that shows off what you can do and record it to an AVI or MPEG video. This would take a fair bit of scripting, but if you're up to the challenge of making a game then it would be worth it to prove to everyone it can be done.

Violet CLM
Sep 7, 2004, 11:13 PM
piet's Quake 3 mod already has video footage with multiplayer and multiple weapons and stuff. What more do you need?
...I'll admit the graphics are ugly.

piet
Sep 8, 2004, 01:35 AM
since the game is not ready and we are still making a backbone for it we arrent doing the graphics right now, the game will be celshaded so the screenshots you see now are not what the game will be look like when its done.

and talking about doom3, sure we can wait intill ID games gives out the complete source in 10 years or so, or wait a few months untill Quake3 becomes realy open source and we can make a stand alone game so you dont have to buy or download quake3 illegal.

allso a lot of people asked me not to make the game to heavy on there PC's

i am at school now i will post a proper reply soon :P

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 01:39 AM
Do you guys have someone working on maps? I might work on a map for you if not.

piet
Sep 8, 2004, 01:54 AM
Do you guys have someone working on maps? I might work on a map for you if not.

i did one or to maps but since the game is goin to be celshaded they are useless now, to make maps in comic celshaded style is a litle harder to map than a normal one.

sure you can help us out with making maps :)
if you use Quark for it i can help you on how to make your map celshaded

oh and by the way here is the website of my game:
http://www.eckhart.da.ru/jazz2/razz/
it is called Razz Arena on this site there are more images of the game
that other link is about my jj2 clan

LittleFreak
Sep 8, 2004, 02:18 AM
Actually if someone wants to make a game he should make a Jazz game and not Doom 3. Doom 3 somewhat sucks. The whole point of the game is brutality. Nothing else. I probably totally missed the point of what you want to say us, but Doom 3 sucks.

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 02:19 AM
I don't know what Quark is..... I use QeRadiant.

piet
Sep 8, 2004, 02:53 AM
I don't know what Quark is..... I use QeRadiant.
Quark is form the same artist as Radiant but i like it far better!
www.planetquake.com/quark/
try it it supports a lot of games

and since doom3 has a lot of blood and gore we wont be using in Razz Arena it should be a hell of a job

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 03:00 AM
The Quark site is under maintenance at the moment.... I'll download and try it ASAP.

About the blood.... that can easily be removed... check this out:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum2/HTML/009361.html?00000

Thought you might like this. ;x

Hazel-rah
Sep 11, 2004, 07:05 AM
hey piet... does the mouth work on your model? or just the main bone structure?

piet
Sep 11, 2004, 12:47 PM
hey piet... does the mouth work on your model? or just the main bone structure?

just the normal bones. dont think we gonna need it. dont have time to talk when you need to blast everyting that moves!

Hazel-rah
Sep 11, 2004, 01:06 PM
lol... k... just wondering if you were gonna do cutscenes..

piet
Sep 11, 2004, 08:47 PM
lol... k... just wondering if you were gonna do cutscenes..

its a multiplayer game so it wont have a lot of them. and i we are thinking about doing cut scenes but not in 3d just drawen

Hazel-rah
Sep 22, 2004, 01:39 PM
The link to Quark doesn't work at all... guess I'll have to do a search for it...

piet
Sep 22, 2004, 08:57 PM
The link to Quark doesn't work at all... guess I'll have to do a search for it...

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~quark/index.php3

Hazel-rah
Sep 22, 2004, 09:02 PM
Danke sehr.

Stijn
Sep 28, 2004, 05:59 AM
Quake3:
+ Lots of info and mods already released, there's probably a solution for your problem
+ Easy to get, sourcecode will probably be released soon so the mod can be released as freeware
- Bad graphics
- All possibilites are probably discovered already... It's harder to make something original for Q3

Doom3:
+ Excellent graphics
+ Really good physics and dound systems
- Doom 3 doesn't run really good at older video cards and less people have it
- It's relatively new, so there isn't as much info about it as about Q3

McDougal
Sep 28, 2004, 12:55 PM
You are crazy if you are still working on a Quake 3 mod.
I've been reading the threads in this section and it appears to be a tie between Q3 and UT2k4.
I think you should all start working on a mod for Doom 3 rather than Quake 3 because Doom 3 is id Software's next generation engine. Q3 is now at least 5 years old and very tired.
--------------------------
I will not be the one to do the work. D3 is pretty but for razz its to much. d3 was built on realism. the current build of the engin isnt as flexable as older id engins. q4 will be more flexable but not fitting.

if u want You can take the leap and make it on d3 engin but its gona be more hassle then nething. you may find out.

----------------------------------
ConkerHS you dont have to switch to quark just to build maps. u can construct them in the gtk editor then open it in quark to place in the entitys. then back to qtk for compile.
I cant use gtk (very well). i can use the D3 editor which is close but i like better than gtk. but i cant open d3 maps in quark. but i can open map files built on gtk.

its easy to do cell in gtk. not much diff from quark expcept more commands in gtk. i didnt get cell workin on quark till i did it on gtk.

you dont have to switch to quark just because some of use cant use the other programs as well.

Derby: Filter bypass removal. Do not attempt to bypass the filter again.

Nimrod
Sep 30, 2004, 04:01 PM
Even though Epic Games is competing with id Software I think the best chance of success is with the Doom 3 engine rather than UT2k4. It's much more powerful...

Any knowledge or facts, or anything intelligent you have to back up such a claim?

R3ptile
Oct 3, 2004, 01:54 AM
Our computers won't run Doom 3, and if they will - we will get about 8 fps. How great. o.O
Anyway, Doom 3's multiplayer is quite bad - you can't run a server with more than four players.

Tubz
Oct 5, 2004, 05:28 AM
Any knowledge or facts, or anything intelligent you have to back up such a claim?

Dude, that's been old knowledge forever. Like 1986 ir something. Epic has been going at it with Apogee/3d realms forever who have huge ties with ID games. Or something, lol.

Violet CLM
Oct 5, 2004, 12:43 PM
I think he meant the comparative power issue, not the competition. Epic and Apogee have always competed.