PDA

View Full Version : Lori in TSF

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 06:24 AM
It seems to me that she was added in haste to the game...

She does not seem to have any idle animation/sound...

What's up with her crouch move? How is that going to help anyone? It seems similar to Spaz's move... except it can't break blocks....

Why are her ears so wide compared to Jazz and Spaz?

They felt she needed clothes? :P

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
No sound? No idle animations? Lori has plenty of idle animations and sound. I think she's the only one who talks, but I could be wrong.

How is it going to help anyone? Well, it's much faster, you can do it over greater distances as you can do it repeatedly instead of waiting five seconds or something, you are completely invincible while doing it so you can spin against a wall and instantly kill all attackers, if you experiment a little you can make it cover a even greater distance (making it more useful than Spaz's no matter what you think), and since when can it not break blocks? If you feel Lori's moves are useless, you obviously don't play with her.

omg her ears are too wide!!!!!! Excuse the game for having characters which aren't all exactly the same! Why would you want Lori to be a clone of Jazz and Spaz?

As for clothes? Umm... yes. If you look around, you'll notice that while Jazz, Spaz and the Bonus Rabbit are naked, every other rabbit wears clothes. Including Lori.

cooba
Sep 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
Didn't Jazz used to say 'Hey! Hey c'mon, let's go!" as an idle sound?

omg her ears are too wide!!!!!! Seems like no one cares that she jumps a few pixels higher than Jazz's uppercut does.

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
In fact, I just went out and tested the shielding effect. You can defeat Bolly without being injured once, and Bubba/Tuf/Robot only being injured once. Queen can be defeated without a single injury, but you also need to hold down the fire key. On the other hand, it's useless against Uterus, not too good against Devan, and pretty worthless against Bilsy. Pretty good ratio, especially considering it also protects you from standard enemies. And those are all (except Devan) without even moving.

Actually, are her ears wider? They don't look it. Can you show a picture?

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 01:38 PM
No Problemo.

http://www.geocities.com/mattdigi2/bigears.JPG

Radium
Sep 8, 2004, 02:43 PM
The part behind her ears is her hair. Any other differences would be because she was drawn by a different artist than Jazz and Spaz were.

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 02:48 PM
hmm... you're right about the hair.... didn't even think about it...

I still can't get her to talk or laugh... just make noises when she jumps and gets hit... that's it..

and the animations seem to not be made to blend back to frame 1.... example... when she looks around and when she stretches her arms... the animation ends with her legs together then it chops to frame 1 with her legs wide apart....

They definately needed to spend more time on her...

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 02:59 PM
Lori's idle animations are not the best, I'll admit, partly because one of them had about half of the frames cut out.

As I recall, she says something painful when she gets hit, and calls each level a piece of cake at the end.

What Radium said regarding the hair is correct. I assumed that was what you meant, but wasn't sure.

It's not just Lori, of course. Look at the enemies, the Cat and the Spark. They're just edited JJ2 enemies without even changed sound effects. The "secret Easter planet" which wasn't revealed in the screenshots was mainly a palette edit of Carrotus. TSF was kind of a rush job, but I stand by my statements that Lori's moves are good.

Radium
Sep 8, 2004, 03:29 PM
Lori's sounds never played right for me either. I think it might be a file problem rather than being actually intended. Not sure if I ever tried Lori outside of the demo, though.

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 03:32 PM
yeah, I remember "Piece of cake" now that you mention it....

There are signs that Jazz was modified to become Lori.... one such example is that the weapon icon for her gun is Jazz's gun... despite the fact that she is holding a black and red gun...

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 03:47 PM
On the other hand, her "Continue" icon is Spaz.

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 03:54 PM
lol.... that's cool.... definately a screw up

never saw that before cause I never got a game over with Lori...

In the process of checking this out it seems there is another glitch....

When you die the background turns black for a split second... then her head turns black and the background becomes visible again....

I wonder if I should check Jazz and Spaz for this glitch... it might have something to do with them adding Lori...

Edit: Yes, this glitch is present with the other two... except Jazz's head doesn't turn black...

The background is supposed to remain black until you respawn....

so having version 1.24 isn't necessarily better than having 1.23... :)

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
You mean Lori's death animation, where her head is all blackened and soot covered, and she explodes and runs around and stuff?

Violet CLM
Sep 8, 2004, 10:20 PM
Didn't Jazz used to say 'Hey! Hey c'mon, let's go!" as an idle sound?
Oh, right. Still does. And there was "Whaddya doin'?" in JJ1. Never mind.

Hazel-rah
Sep 8, 2004, 11:03 PM
It could be soot... ok, forget the head turning black..
Still, the background should stay black when you die... but it doesn't... I think it's a glitch...

http://www.geocities.com/mattdigi2/lorigltc.JPGhttp://www.geocities.com/mattdigi2/lorigltc2.JPGhttp://www.geocities.com/mattdigi2/lorigltc3.JPGhttp://www.geocities.com/mattdigi2/lorigltc4.JPG
The pictures are to show you that you can see the background.

The glitch only works on windowed resolutions. Any tileset. Any character.

DoubleGJ
Sep 9, 2004, 02:08 AM
The beding animation is not the whole set of frames for this animation. If you're lucky, you will see Lori looking for her gun soon after. Then the whole stuff fits. Unfortunately, this shows up so rarely that you can really believe that bending is the whole animation.

LittleFreak
Sep 9, 2004, 03:22 AM
I also think Lori was made in a rush, but I still like this character. But I disagree with the fact that Jazz should turn to Lori or something. The fast fire looks like Jazz' because the programmers were to lazy to make a new fast fire pickup for Lori. That's my opinion.

Violet CLM
Sep 9, 2004, 11:00 AM
I don't really know too much about this, but is it possible that Jazz's gun is weapon 0 and Spaz's gun is weapon 1, and they couldn't make another one for Lori?

To be honest, it looks better if the background doesn't turn black when you die. I'd call it a fix more than a bug.

LittleFreak
Sep 10, 2004, 03:54 AM
I don't really know too much about this, but is it possible that Jazz's gun is weapon 0 and Spaz's gun is weapon 1, and they couldn't make another one for Lori?

To be honest, it looks better if the background doesn't turn black when you die. I'd call it a fix more than a bug.

could be possible. And for background, I actually do not care if it's black or whatever :)

NinJazz
Sep 10, 2004, 09:49 AM
and when Lori hasn't got any idle sounds? I haven't TSF or Christmas CHronicles but even playin' just demo I heard her own voices, hear me!

Doubble Dutch
Sep 11, 2004, 06:25 AM
Ah the melidous tone of her voice...

FoxBlitzz
Sep 11, 2004, 07:05 AM
The glitch only works on windowed resolutions. Any tileset. Any character.

Yeah, I don't have TSF, but in 1.23, if I run in a window and get killed, the death text moves faster than normal and the blackness disappears half-way through the death sequence. Also, the transition from the title screen to the main menu, too, goes faster. I think DirectX tries to run at the max framerate in windowed mode.

and the animations seem to not be made to blend back to frame 1....

If you look a bit closely, it happens a bit with Spaz too. On certain idle animations, at the end, it has a few frames of the standing animation, then, when the animation is over, it goes back to frame 1 of the standing anim, so it's not very well blended.

DrJones
Sep 13, 2004, 02:57 AM
Most (I think 1 is missing) animations of Lori can be found on Lori Central. Other than that she looks different (big ears, ect) because a different artist has drawn her for the game. Jazz and Spaz were done by the original JJ1 artist, while Lori was done by Dean Dodrill (anyone remember Noogy?).

I hope this sheds some light on the conversation.

4I Falcon
Sep 18, 2004, 04:24 PM
Most (I think 1 is missing) animations of Lori can be found on Lori Central. Other than that she looks different (big ears, ect) because a different artist has drawn her for the game. Jazz and Spaz were done by the original JJ1 artist, while Lori was done by Dean Dodrill (anyone remember Noogy?).

I hope this sheds some light on the conversation.

I remember Noogy.

Go Noogy! =D

And such.

Tover
Nov 18, 2004, 12:35 PM
Where I can set anim. from Jazz and Spaz? (for example: lori on Noogy, but Jazz And Spaz) [B]Please Send here : kytron@freemail.hu !!! !!! !!! !!!

Tover
Nov 18, 2004, 12:36 PM
Fast Write.

White Rabbit
Nov 18, 2004, 01:50 PM
Ok, I'm reviving this topic just as much as Tover did, but I just need to know more about Lori because I really find the idea that Lori is invincible when she uses her special attack very interesting.

Just how invincible is she? I know that when turtles bite you, or when enemies touch you they go splat but she does not seem to be invincible against the dragon's attack, nor is she invincible against weapons attack in MP. Her side-kick is not faster than running, and she can't shoot much while doing her special attack leaving her prettty vulnerable, especially to overheard shots. If she's not invincible vs weapons, then how exactly do you use her special attack? After all, if ppl are taken by surprise by it, they could just jump or run away (unless they're caught in a one-tile high corridor or is in a suckertube).

Btw, Lori says: 'I'm all right' occasionally when she gets hurt. Jazz sometimes says 'Watch out!' when he gets hurt. Spaz doesn't seem able to speaking, let alone capable of rational thinking. But you know that already, hehe. :)

Violet CLM
Nov 18, 2004, 03:09 PM
Lori is invincible against physical attacks, but not against bullets or spikes. It's not a multiplayer thing so much as single player. Spaz is still probably the best for multiplayer.
(I also seem to recall that if you karate kick through some enemies you will end up moving at least twice the normal run speed...)

White Rabbit
Nov 19, 2004, 07:56 AM
Yes, it happens with the metal spike throwing turtle and Devan's robot. It also happens with Bubba and Devan himself. When Spaz and Jazz use their special attacks, they get slowed down (when Spaz kicks Devan, Spz doesn't go through him like Lori does, but slows down and gets hurt when his kick runs out of momentum). Would Lori have much of an advantage in street fight lvls? ;)

ThunderPX
Nov 19, 2004, 12:02 PM
About the missing sounds thing, when I complete a level with Jazz or Spaz, the end level tune cuts off when the background turns black. (Which is kind of annoying, since I'm trying to rip those tunes)