PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbit, Tortoise

Hazel-rah
Sep 12, 2004, 06:51 PM
Often I see Jazz and the other jackrabbits refered to as rabbits and bunnies. However these names do not fit them. If properly refered to they would be called jackrabbits or hares.

Scientifically the term "hare" refers to both rabbits and jackrabbits. A jackrabbit is defined as:

"Any of several large, long-eared, long-legged hares of the genus Lepus, and giving birth to active, furred young."

A bunny is only in reference to a rabbit. A rabbit has short ears, short legs, and gives birth to non furred young... which are blind.. unlike jackrabbit young. Few people realise how large a jackrabbit is compared to a rabbit.

Similarly, the terms turtle and tortoise are misused. A turtle is a chelonian that lives in the water and has feet that are made for swimming. A tortoise is a chelonian that lives on land and has feet that are made for walking on land.
Therefore, Devan Shell and others should only be refered to as tortoises and not turtles.

I realise that even the developers of this game misused terms... but we can forgive them, right? :P

Blackraptor
Sep 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
Its one of the things where we call them that and don't care about the meaning. Like naming your pet cat cobra, or something.

Violet CLM
Sep 12, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ah, but these are not the small, unintelligent creatures you are so familiar with. These are walking, thinking, anthropomorphic furry people, and they can have whatever name they want. Maybe their language is different.

Doubble Dutch
Sep 13, 2004, 04:15 AM
Only twice? Man you've got to take some stronger stuff.

Seriously:

"Furry" is a slang term for an anthropomorphic animal, but there are disagreements over what exactly constitutes a "furry." Many proponents wish to establish an arbitrary dividing line separating furry from non-furry characters. Consensus is difficult when every enthusiast has their own criteria.

The difficulty is that most proponents insist on a digital representation, either "on" (furry), or "off" (not furry). However, observation of the genre quickly reveals that "furry" is analog, not digital. Every character can be interpreted on a furry scale, with some characters showing distinct furry traits, others with subtle attributes, and others with none at all.

The Chimeral Index provides a quick way to establish a character's "furriness." For convenience, the scale constitutes 10 Roe points, with 1 Roe being a mundane animal, and 10 Roe being a full human. Most "furry" characters fall within the range of 2 to 9 Roe points

Using the Chimeral Index classification system, we see that Jazz &c are Lagomorphs of about 34-42 stage points and a Roe value of 4 Devan &c are Podocnemorphs with 37 stage points and a Roe value of 4.

Hazel-rah
Sep 13, 2004, 05:22 AM
I would only agree with you if you were refering to the original Jazz Jackrabbit back in 94. Jazz has kind of undergone a change in body structure. He used to be more on the animal side by having a digigrade stance when he wasn't moving... and in cinematics. As soon as JJ2 came along he moved more toward human... taking a more plantigrade stance. In all the cinematics they stand with their heels to the ground... like people... not like animals. This can be demonstrated in the cinematics and when he's pushing something heavy. Personally I like how he is now better than how he used to be.

Violet CLM
Sep 13, 2004, 10:56 AM
In continuation of my last post, I believe the species name is actually the "Galactic Rabbits", which "rabbits" is probably an abbreviation for.

And ++Conker for mentioning Jazz's morphing, though I don't know if it's important as DD's post confused me.

Radium
Sep 13, 2004, 11:27 AM
Stop thinking so hard. It's a game with cartoon characters that jump around and stuff. Next thing you know, you'll be asking how a carrot can heal wounds from futuristic weaponry.

Doubble Dutch
Sep 14, 2004, 02:59 AM
And ++Conker for mentioning Jazz's morphing, though I don't know if it's important as DD's post confused me.

The Chimeric index is one method of expressing the 'animality' of a character. It consists of several traits [fur, insticts, ears, tail...] each with an assorted number of 'stage points' For example, Jazz has animal ears, with 4 stage points. All the characters characteristics are added together to give a sum total. If a characteristic is subdues, half this value is added. For Jazz this is 34-42. I say 34-42 because, Jazz has as you say, undergone a posture change. Since 'skeletal or posture effects' is a characteristic, the final sum depends of if you're using 94 or 98 Jazz. The total then places the character on the Roe scale. The points required for a value are 10:0, 9:1-2, 8:3-6, 7:1-12; 6:13-20, 5:21-30; 4:31-42; 3:43-56, 2:57-72 and 1: 73-90.

The Roe scale is approximately linear, so with a value of 4, Jazz can be considered 60% animal, 40% humanoid.

Next thing you know, you'll be asking how a carrot can heal wounds from futuristic weaponry

Genetic enhancement, they're bred to cause rapid cell regeneration and recovery. More to the point, Why would Devan put carrots and useful weponry right under Jazz's nose?

Tik
Sep 14, 2004, 03:43 AM
Genetic enhancement, they're bred to cause rapid cell regeneration and recovery. More to the point, Why would Devan put carrots and useful weponry right under Jazz's nose?Because in 10 years people will conveniently discover it causes cancer, or something else. Devan, of course, knew this beforehand.

Violet CLM
Sep 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Well, in JJ1, all the goodies and stuff that Jazz picks up are treasures and weapons Devan has stashed there as part of his galactic conquest scheme. Half the point of visiting most of the planets is simply picking up the goodies. In JJ2, though, I don't really know.

KRSplat
Sep 14, 2004, 02:54 PM
:0

This is the best reinterpretation of the game details I've heard so far

Risp_old
Sep 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
Well, in JJ1, all the goodies and stuff that Jazz picks up are treasures and weapons Devan has stashed there as part of his galactic conquest scheme. Half the point of visiting most of the planets is simply picking up the goodies. In JJ2, though, I don't really know.
Then why not place them all in one very well defended stronghold? I mean, Devan didn't seem to have any opposition besides Jazz, and if all the weapons were in a place that Jazz could only get to if he had the weapons in the first place, he would have never been able to get them.

Violet CLM
Sep 14, 2004, 03:37 PM
Well, most of the treasures were put in one place -- the planet Crysilis, which used to be empty and boring before it was filled with gold and silver. However, Crysilis was full after a while, so Devan exported the various treasures to other planets - I doubt he really expected Jazz to come along and resteal them. Added to that, there's the treasures which simply come from the planet, like the fruit in Jungrock, instead of being exported. As for the weapons, they are probably for use by the turtles and creatures occupying the various planets - there's got to be some intelligent life out there somewhere that would resist conquest.

Doubble Dutch
Sep 15, 2004, 03:00 AM
I'm more for the theory that the stuff Jazz got was produced on the planets and hadn't been placed in a stronghold yet.

As for the weapons, they are probably for use by the turtles and creatures occupying the various planets - there's got to be some intelligent life out there somewhere that would resist conquest.

As far as I remember, they only used one basic wepon, and it wasn't Jazz related. In JJ2 most of the lizards use bombs.

Well, in JJ1, all the goodies and stuff that Jazz picks up are treasures and weapons Devan has stashed there as part of his galactic conquest scheme.

Lizard: Sir? About our storage of rescources.

Devan: Yes?

Lizard: Well, are you sure we should be storing all those carrots? Won't they help any attacking Rabbits?

Devan: Unlikely, and besides, carrots cause eye cancer, everyone knows that.

Lizard: Okay, but uh, why are we holding supplies of amunition for Rabbit guns? We don't even use them.

Devan: Because of, um... shutup!

Sun Fun Dude
Sep 15, 2004, 03:57 AM
It's just a game jeez...

Tik
Sep 15, 2004, 09:08 AM
NO!!! IT'S ALL REAL!!! ;-;

Violet CLM
Sep 15, 2004, 11:28 AM
Most turtles in JJ1 only had one gun, but like the LFG 2000, it shot a variety of bullets. There were fireballs, yellow phaser things, RF missiles, and other weapons. It is not unreasonable that some of the enemies could have used Launchers, Blaster, etc, but didn't because that was not their weapon of choice. Like using seekers even if the level is filled with pepper spray.

And JJ1 does specifically say that Devan has a huge stockpile of weapons lying around. I don't know about the carrots.

!Tman!
Sep 15, 2004, 12:19 PM
Wow.. Did u actually look all that up.. or are you a BUNNY lover....;)

DoubleGJ
Sep 18, 2004, 05:09 AM
SEE? I TOLD YOU IT'S ALL REAL! :OOOOOO

Now, we could write a science book about Jazz Jackrabbit. But there's one thing left. How come all female characters wear clothes but male ones don't even have pants? If Eva is as furry as Jazz (and she most likely is), she doesn't need them at all. She probably sweats in such heat, wearing fur AND clothes. If she sweats, she can't be so much attractive, so... Errrr, where was I? Oh, and Jazz NEVER hurts himself with his own weapon.

Risp_old
Sep 18, 2004, 05:35 AM
Now, we could write a science book about Jazz Jackrabbit. But there's one thing left. How come all female characters wear clothes but male ones don't even have pants? If Eva is as furry as Jazz (and she most likely is), she doesn't need them at all. She probably sweats in such heat, wearing fur AND clothes. If she sweats, she can't be so much attractive, so... Errrr, where was I? Oh, and Jazz NEVER hurts himself with his own weapon.
Just like how many cartoon characters will wear swim trunks and such when going swimming, but nothing otherwise.

Doubble Dutch
Sep 18, 2004, 07:29 AM
Now, we could write a science book about Jazz Jackrabbit. But there's one thing left. How come all female characters wear clothes but male ones don't even have pants? If Eva is as furry as Jazz (and she most likely is), she doesn't need them at all. She probably sweats in such heat, wearing fur AND clothes. If she sweats, she can't be so much attractive,

More discrimination! [Either that or the artist had a Derby streak.]

Seriously, perhaps its a cultural thing. In our culture it used to be that women wore skirts, and even now I don't think many men would wear a dress. I bet Jazz wonders whats so hot about trousers around here.

Oddly enough, Donal Duck was banned in Finland for not wearing pants.

Oh, and Jazz NEVER hurts himself with his own weapon.

He can colide with his own bullets?

Just like how many cartoon characters will wear swim trunks and such when going swimming, but nothing otherwise.

Ah, they have embraced the natural state of nudity. Let us all do the same.

Hazel-rah
Sep 18, 2004, 07:29 AM
--clothes

do you think they were concerned people would complain if the females didn't have clothes?

Nitro
Sep 20, 2004, 11:31 AM
You.. have..to much time!
And I mean that cos I now was thinking of a line to add to the post so it would seem like I'm just going down on you... I couldn't think of one.
Bro who cares what it is?! heh has long ears and short legs..

Violet CLM
Sep 20, 2004, 01:36 PM
He can colide with his own bullets?
Bouncers, obviously, and most guns are sent back by the Richochet events.

Ah, they have embraced the natural state of nudity. Let us all do the same.
The difference being that they have fur, and we don't, so we wear clothes to keep warm. I like the idea of clothes being a cultural thing for them, even though some males do wear pants.

Michael: That's nice. We're trying to engage in discussion here.

Doubble Dutch
Sep 21, 2004, 05:55 AM
You.. have..to much time!
And I mean that cos I now was thinking of a line to add to the post so it would seem like I'm just going down on you... I couldn't think of one.

Don't worry, I'm taking up a new pastime, testing power tools on rats. I should have a lot less spare time now.

But hey, why not visit the site of Too Much Spare Time himself? http://geocities.com/toomuchsparetime_ak2/tmstindx.htm

The difference being that they have fur, and we don't, so we wear clothes to keep warm.

Yet, where its hot we wear minimal clothes not none. And Jazz didn't have the sense to wrap up when he visited Nippius.

I like the idea of clothes being a cultural thing for them,

There is evidence that no culture could develop devoid of clothing, but as we're the only race to develop, we can't really verify it.

White Rabbit
Dec 10, 2004, 01:41 PM

Donald Duck is sometimes shown naked, sometimes clothed but with no trousers, yet when he comes out of the shower he always has a towel over his "private" area. It's just to show some decency (Donald Duck was banned in Finland, or was it Denmark, because he didn't wear trousers). Daisy Duck is ALWAYS clothed. Maybe after Disney started making cartoons and put clothes on female characters the rest of the world followed suit without thinking of the inevitable clash with the nudity of male characters? Also, the reason why Eva wears a bra is because it's a wonderbra, making her assets look larger. :D

It's Epics fault for calling the Galactic Rabbits Rabbits instead of Galactic Jackrabbits and for not naming turtle/tortoise correctly. This doesn't mean that we all have to change our minds because Jazz Jackrabbit isn't a real jackrabbit. Keep naming your lvls 'Bunny Haven', 'A Rabbit Adventure', 'Hares of Tubeelectric' or something like that. :p