PDA

View Full Version : I announce a grand project-like thingy!

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 05:57 AM
Or a big, fat levelpack at least.

Some of you may have played an episode called SCE - Some Continuing Episode.
It had its own tilesets for each level, a "story" and an insane difficulty level.
Although rated highly on J2O, alas, it has only been available for TSF.

Until soon.

I am planning to completely revamp this whole levelpack.
Now, some of you may be thinking "Omg, you lamer, make something new instead of updating those levels AGAIN!".
Think again.

Instead of using the method DanX discovered to convert levels from TSF to 1.23, I will completely rebuild, enhance and modify all levels in the 1.23 JCS.
Not only this, but the following things will also be contained in the pack:

· Several more levels.
· Completely redone tilesets, and new ones for the new levels as well.
· An actual <i>story</i>.
· Three advanced difficulty levels.
· Intro and extro scenes, handdrawn in picture form.
· Completely new bosses!
· And perhaps an own soundtrack ( not made by me, though ).

I will start working on this as soon as I have the ability to, even though I'm not sure when that will be.
Until then, I will probably upload another single level to demonstrate my new skills, which I acquired through <s>hard work</s> aging.

For now, I'd just like to ask for some support. Cheers!

cooba
Nov 9, 2004, 07:41 AM
Make a better font for cutscene tileset.

Sacrush
Nov 9, 2004, 08:21 AM
Maybe I can make a fitting level for the pack, just so it haves more levels.

White Rabbit
Nov 9, 2004, 08:37 AM
Just tell us when you think that you're going to be done, Faw. *buys atomic clock and waits*

PHT2, no need to write that, hehe. :D I don't want to brag.. but I'm going to do so anyway *gets hit by rotten eggs*. Check out http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1436 and then look at the first review for a more detailed "summary" of SCE.

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks, PHT. But really, I was just asking for support as in.. I dunno. Something like "Go Faw" or whatever to keep my spirits up. XP But telling me what to improve is also a good idea.

Yes, Cooba, that tileset will be better as well. =P
I thought "hand-writing" the letters ( with the mouse ) would give it some kind of personal touch... unfortunately, my handwriting sucks.

And Satan, thank you. But there is no need for levels by others. ^^;

EDIT:
WR, you posted while I was typing this. o_o
Well, as I said, I only want some support for the idea. I often lack motivation to do anything, so that will be the greatest problem of all. That's why.

cooba
Nov 9, 2004, 09:00 AM
BTW Is "Acid Reign" a pun both to Reign and rain? (pronounciation of both.)

PHT's list is useless. w00t

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 09:03 AM
'Course it is. yay i funny ;D;D

And just for the record, "Welcome to the Machine" is a disturbing song by Pink Floyd, Get Down is.. I dunno, but it's something, and Strongest vs. Strongest is something from DBZ.
The "plot" was also heavily influenced by DBZ, which is why I'm going to change it so majorly that Strongest vs. Strongest may not even appear in it.

cooba
Nov 9, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sneak peaks of plot, please? ;(

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 09:11 AM
No.

...*mutters something*

But if you want to know something about it, here goes:

There will be a new character added to the JJ universe who will actually appear in the levels!

... actually, that just gave me an idea....
So there will possibly even be a few more. =3

White Rabbit
Nov 9, 2004, 09:45 AM
Can we make lvl/tileset suggestions if even we don't need to make the actual lvls/tilesets? Plz? I got loads of ideas, most of them that are probably possible to do, but I don't have the skills to use them in my own lvls. :)

1. Make airboard/helicopter ear lvls! The player will go through the whole lvl with the ability to fly all over the place. This is a good lvl to use the rocket turtle in, not as a boss, but as a trap/enemy. The rocket turtles will fly past you once you hit Activate Boss and you are flown forwards in a wind tunnel, unable to go backwards, so you much use your reflexes and skills to avoid the rocket turtles. The turtles, after they have used up all their Area IDs, will fly safely into a wall once you exit the wind tunnel. Make this tunnel reaaaaaaaaaaly long and for even more difficulty, add flying lizards that will follow you and that you will have to kill (if you're still alive) when you exit the tunnel.

2. More mazes. You don't like putting arrow signs in your lvls, Fawriel? ;) Don't worry! No arrow signs are needed in mazes! :D I'll leave you to work out what kind of maze suits the lvl best but make sure that you make it long and place lots of traps/enemies in it. Also make sure that all the walls are touching each other so the player can use the hug-the-wall technique (that's when you only follow the left or right wall to get out of a maze) to exit the maze, or ppl will get stuck in there forever like in Tomb Rabbit...

3. Use bosses as traps. You know the weapon SCEs? They fire seekers/toaster, etc. but those bullets they fire can't hurt you. Well, how about placing bosses in different parts of the lvl (they must be inaccesible and protected from your attacks) and put Activate Boss events at the very start of the lvl. The Swiss turtle guard (I forgot his real name) and the Bilsy boss can both shoot at you and their bullets will go through walls. Use them as traps! The robot with a swinging metal whip-thingy that fires missiles could also be used, although the whip is hard to avoid on Hard difficulty.

4. Bonus lvls, with bonus tilesets that are not used anywhere else in the lvl pack! These unique lvls should be easy to play (therefore giving the player some rest and lots of fun) and should have loads of crazy stuff that you wouldn't normally put in sp-levels. Make tests or pinball games (although they will have to be very original) or turtle shell rain, shield-bonanza, sugar rush lvls (100 fruits + 1000000 baddies = splat splat splat), etc.

5. You may be against this, Fawriel, I don't know. Use other ppl's tilesets. So far few good SP lvls have been made using the Cyberspaz tilesets and 7th Lava Fall. These are just suggestions. The lvl pack may or may not take place in industrial areas, deep space or city sewers.

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 10:00 AM
Sure, suggestions are always welcome, so far, nothing is written into stone.

Heh, and actually, using the Schwartzenguard to hit you during the whole level was an idea I had as well. But I think the chain gets faster the further away it flies, thus making it impossible to avoid when it flies all over the level... hm. But, please, keep the ideas coming.

cooba
Nov 9, 2004, 10:15 AM
You can't have more than one working Rocket Turtle in a level, WR.

As for suggestions, I'd reccomend using Bilsy+Buttstomp thing. ;p

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2004, 10:25 AM
<s>Okay, if you want to suggest new things, please disregard things I've already thought of, or I'll look unoriginal. ;o</s>

LittleFreak
Nov 10, 2004, 06:08 AM
I see White Rabbit's review is enough, so a bug report is not needed at all. :-)
However, here are still some suggestions:
-Use White Rabbit's ideas, they sound interesting. :)
-For the intro tileset, I don't have something against your handwriting, it's more that it is a bit empty. A background would be cool.
-Check the masking of the mad forest set (as I said before).
-Test your levels to be sure everything is doable.
-Probably add some story elements (for example a character tells you to do something, etc.)
-Don't rush levels (though I don't think you ever did, be sure also not to do so in the future).

Another note to WR: The Tomb Rabbit maze of the third temple is doable in about 30 minutes to 1 hour if you try it. Just be sure to remember the ways you've already been in and you should be able to do it.

cooba
Nov 10, 2004, 06:26 AM
"Doable" isn't a word.

DoubleGJ
Nov 10, 2004, 06:49 AM
Go Faw! 8D

Stijn
Nov 10, 2004, 08:06 AM
I still remember you saying on MSN "no more levelmaking for me" ;)

Well, ++sce

cooba
Nov 10, 2004, 08:11 AM
I'd like to see how The Center of Evil is updated. It already is creepy, isn't it? My only complaint is music choice. Sux.

(I like how no one noticed that you're supposed to be inside SCE's villain there. Life is good.)

Fawriel
Nov 10, 2004, 09:57 AM
-Use White Rabbit's ideas, they sound interesting. :)
The question is whether they work with the rest and/or are manageable.
"Doable" isn't a word.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=doable
Go Faw! 8D
Go me.
I still remember you saying on MSN "no more levelmaking for me"

Well, ++sce
Eh. You have no idea how much I wish I knew what was going on in my life.

And ++sce.
Which reminds me.

I need to think of a good name for the project.
Do you think "Jazz Jackrabbit 2.5" would be too boastful?
I'd like to see how The Center of Evil is updated. It already is creepy, isn't it? My only complaint is music choice. Sux.

(I like how no one noticed that you're supposed to be inside SCE's villain there. Life is good.)
That will be fun.
And yes, the music sux on its own. But it's creepy. And there's a voice in it saying something like "Jawn bokaahn" or something. That's how I got the villain's name.

(And I think someone noticed. I'm just not sure, who. )

LittleFreak
Nov 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
"Doable" isn't a word.
It is. :D
If something is doable that means someone can do it. :P
(look at Fawriel's link for better description :) )

LittleFreak
Nov 10, 2004, 10:11 AM
apart from hints and suggestions for SCE v.2, do you need some beta-testers? If so I would do that, though WR is probably better doing that than I am. :lol:

Fawriel
Nov 10, 2004, 10:19 AM
I'm not nearly as far yet as to decide on beta-testers.
But since I want to upload a level I created before I got converted to Linux, and can't remember which file was the complete one that is also playable in 1.23, I could use someone who would have the time to find out which one it is.
Betatesting it could be a problem, though, since its difficulty level is much like a compressed SCE ( The whole single level can take something around an hour to finish ).

LittleFreak
Nov 10, 2004, 10:41 AM
I'm not nearly as far yet as to decide on beta-testers.
But since I want to upload a level I created before I got converted to Linux, and can't remember which file was the complete one that is also playable in 1.23, I could use someone who would have the time to find out which one it is.
Betatesting it could be a problem, though, since its difficulty level is much like a compressed SCE ( The whole single level can take something around an hour to finish ).

My 1.23 sadly doesn't work anymore so I can't do that. However if this level needs to be betatested that's something I can do (I have too much freetime, I must do something! :) )

Fawriel
Nov 10, 2004, 10:46 AM
Well, it has already been betatested several times, actually, the problem is to find out which one to upload...

But if you REALLY want to, send me your e-mail and I'll send you all the files that could be that level.

cooba
Nov 10, 2004, 11:35 AM
PHT, didn't I already tell you NOT to double post?

I wish this sentence didn't confuse me. ;( You made a few levels and you don't remember which one you completed?

Fawriel
Nov 10, 2004, 11:39 AM
It's all the same, but there's one that is possibly unfinished, one that is TSF only.. I don't really know, why. It's been long since I made it.

cooba
Nov 10, 2004, 11:42 AM
Well, fell free to bug me and I could do what you want, whatever's it.

Sacrush
Nov 11, 2004, 01:00 AM
Go fawriel Go fawriel. ;d ;d ;d

LittleFreak
Nov 11, 2004, 05:57 AM
Cooba, didn't I already tell you not to get on my nervs?

:O

cooba
Nov 11, 2004, 06:13 AM
(FTR)

Derby: Flame tag removal. Avoid coaxing others into fighting you. This has resulted in a subwarning. You are clearly trying to annoy certain users on the board.

Fawriel
Nov 16, 2004, 12:19 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=3469 =D
Mouthwettener! =D

cooba
Nov 16, 2004, 12:25 PM
And what that has to do with this?

Fawriel
Nov 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
I will start working on this as soon as I have the ability to, even though I'm not sure when that will be.
Until then, I will probably upload another single level to demonstrate my new skills, which I acquired through <s>hard work</s> aging.
>OOO

cooba
Nov 16, 2004, 12:33 PM
=OOO

Fawriel
Dec 26, 2004, 02:21 PM
OMG HI

I now have a new computer.
A computer with WINDOWS =D
In other words, I'm able to begin working as of tomorrow.
Party or something.

LittleFreak
Dec 27, 2004, 01:06 AM
YAIH! Go Faw! :-P

Olsen
Dec 27, 2004, 02:03 AM
Go FaWy! Go FaWy!

cooba
Dec 27, 2004, 02:23 AM
Guys stay on topic k ;(

LittleFreak
Dec 27, 2004, 02:40 AM
Er... we are on topic, imo.

Originally posted by Fawriel:

"I was just asking for support as in.. I dunno. Something like "Go Faw" or whatever to keep my spirits up."

Fawriel
Dec 27, 2004, 03:04 AM
Kekeke. =3

Thanks everyone. I'll try to work as much during the vacations as possible while still managing to do something about my artistic skills, reading this book for school, maybe working on a project for Philosophy to get my first A since elementary school.... *cough* I'll try.

Olsen
Dec 27, 2004, 03:22 AM
Here faw go again :P