PDA

View Full Version : Forum Cosmetics II

Aiko
Mar 26, 2001, 11:33 AM
you'll kill me for this...so here we go:

if youre in a forum, the column at the very right just says "Date". It means "Date last posted" or as it was put at the jmmb: "Last post".

well...cosmetics, as i promised :-)))

btw: a post count! please! maybe later, ok?

Ice M A N
Mar 26, 2001, 11:50 AM
Didn't you read what Quistalready said? There isn't going to be a post counter. There was one by default (before the board got hacked to pieces http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif), but Quist took it out (for good reason). I really don't think it'll be coming back, and I hope it doesn't.

Aiko
Mar 27, 2001, 07:17 AM
But i love statistics! :-)))

You wont stop people from spamming by removing the post counter by the way. Heck i dont know, obviously there were evil things happening on the JMMB, of which i never knew. Tell me, seems like i missed everything. Was it in the Misc forum?

Fquist_old
Mar 27, 2001, 08:20 AM
Umm.. some people immediatly started spamming when they got here and then bragged about their postcount.

That's what I want to prevent.

Ever have seen the j2s forum? Only spam.

Bobby aka Dizzy
Mar 27, 2001, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with Quist on that, post count will only lead to spam.

Aiko
Mar 27, 2001, 12:56 PM
J2S forum? Who cares :-)

By the way, you have to admit its pretty hard to decide whats "spam" and whats not. Esspecially in a "Miscellanous Forum" (which i hardly ever visit[ed], though). A message like "I agree." can be called "junk" as well as "Important opinion" (esspecially if it was made by the "right" person if you know what im talking about). Who had the most posts on the JMMB? Wasnt it *you*, Fquist? So you were Spammer #1? No, you weren't. See my point? :-)

Sorry, i'm just trying to make you think about it. Your plan is to avoid all the problems that obviously occured on the JMMB (but only in *some* forums, as i can see it). Good plan, but it wont work. Well whatever...dont listen to me...i'm a stupid, stupid pessimist...:-)))

Personally, i have the feeling *I* was posting way too much the past four days. If i'll continue like this i'll have the same number of posts here in two weeks that i made on the JMMB in two years. Insane.

Well, i hope its just the starting hype and all the technical suggestions...good evening.

Fquist_old
Mar 28, 2001, 05:38 AM
Thanks for your consideration.. I'll think about it.

I'm going to whip up an automatic themes stats thingie soon.

Electric Ir
Mar 28, 2001, 06:13 AM
Cool!

Fquist_old
Mar 28, 2001, 07:45 AM
bug 1 is fixed.

Bobby aka Dizzy
Mar 28, 2001, 12:17 PM
Btw, Aiko if you are that crazy and must know post count, just ask me.

Aiko
Mar 29, 2001, 07:42 AM
No, no, Bobby. Its not that *i* would care. Its just my statistics and functions madness. You know, im really amazed by the two things that come together here: 1.) the obvious power of the PHP language, 2.) the obviously amazing skills of Mr. Quist :-)

Hmmm, by the way, does the "All posts by XXX" function use cookies?

DrJones
Mar 29, 2001, 10:40 AM
I don't think it does...From what I see it just reads the database for all posts by the given username. :)

Another bug, which has little to do with this all, is that the private message thing tends to go haywire when it contains more than 10 messages or so (didn't count).

Fquist_old
Mar 29, 2001, 10:48 AM
That's another phpbb bug.. I'll look around for a fix..