PDA

View Full Version : HaXOring and cheating in Multiplayer

Puffie40
Jan 3, 2005, 05:11 PM
I writing this while I am cheesed off at the cheating that's happening lately. Some things might be off.

Lately, there have been people who have hacked into JJ2 and cheated. While somtimes I think "I wish I can WhOOp that guys butt REALLY good" or "I wish I can get down there to get that PU..." I don't really think like most hackers, I guess...

But most of these guys act like total idiots when it comes down to cheating. A cheat program a haxor gave me allows you to impersonate other players. The first time I've seen this happen is when a player logged onto my server and started swearing and using sexual referances under mine and other player's names. The big problem was actually figureing out WHO the heck it was! It wasen't until almost all the players left that the curprit was found.

Then it gets better. Next level, he has the Lazer sheild out, and is toasting everyone! HE HAS SOME NERVE!! I finally banned his butt, despite threats that he'll find a way around it. he never did.

Screw you cheaters on the theats. If you did get around the ban, It only take 5 seconds to type "Ban#" again.

then there are cheaters that type that JJfire cheat 20 gazillion times and has that "Minigun fire" That can be okay, but that lags the server big time while it's registering all that blaster fire.

Please, Please, PLEASE! Think of the other players! The Jazz 2 community is dying. you are only adding gas to the fire by cheating. There are new players, looking to see what kind of community this is, and they can't even put a dent in you, and you're toasting their butt with the LASER?!?!?

Multiplayer is for people, wanting to play honestly, to talk and have some general rabbity fun. A son of a cheat comes along, and BAM! all the enjoyment is sucked out of that game, the other players leave then the host quits, ending the server. Do you really want that to happen when servers around here are far and few in between?

Cheaters wind up alone. You can see that on the Important notice on the "Games in Progress lately:

Watch out for the user "ViperMM", last known IP: 66.41.39.245.
He is a known hacker, and has been caught numerous times crashing servers, renaming and packet editing.

If you a see this user, you should probably ban him immediatly to prevent your server getting crashed or manipulated in a bad way.

These players are always assumed to be cheaters, and then make it to people's permenant ban lists. Clans will not have anything to do with you, and you would be shunned by the community. You can't even play with the other gamers.

All because you wanted to screw up some games for your (Fake) Glory and momentary self satisfaction that you "Won".

That is all I have to say. I feel better getting this off my chest. Thank you.

BlazinDragon
Jan 3, 2005, 05:21 PM
*applaudes loudly*

HERE HERE!!!

Radium
Jan 3, 2005, 05:26 PM
Raddy predicts: Bye bye, thread =|

MaGoo
Jan 3, 2005, 05:48 PM
I am so going to hack you, Puffie.

Nimrod
Jan 3, 2005, 06:18 PM
I will continue to try and come down on cheaters, including banning from the List Server Network.

Please all people hosting games, run ApprehendJJ2 by link (in j2o download section), as it will show who renamed you, and with a Apprehend Log I will take action against the user in question.

With cheating ingame, its hard to catch out. But if you run Cataclysm, you can block a lot of cheats. Also, if you can get screenshots, please do so and pass them onto me.

The JJ2 engine is a "hax0rs" paradise as its so unprotected and easy. But all these people who use there knowledge to cause harm are doing, is destorying a perfectly good multiplayer platformer. The Community needs to stand united against people who abuse the game.

ShadowGPW
Jan 3, 2005, 06:36 PM
http://ccodl.burstfire.net/tnr/hax1.swf

Listen to this flash file :cool:

n0
Jan 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
I have made a hacking program, but I either serve a server named "Here lies a cheater" or "Cheaters only" or "Hack this server" or somthing, and if I want to test my client side cheats, I ask the host if it's ok if I cheat. I also will NOT hand out my program to just anyone, as absolute power can corrupt absolutly, and my proggie is powerful.

So, yes, I agree with you that people who use lazers and who abuse powerful programs should be banned, but I'd also like to say that there is a place for hacking, and if used as a part of the gameplay (ie a bird hunt where the host morphs into a bird then the first to roast him 10 times wins, while no other roasts count) it could work quite well.

I think I'm going to go and make a birdhunt program now, and since it can't be used for anything but a birdhunt, it isn't "cheating" but it is "hacking"

White Rabbit
Jan 4, 2005, 01:46 AM
Cooba cheats. ;P He used jjnofly to trap a flag in the bottom of my CTF lvl (there was an airboard in the lvl), so I had to rehost.That's not the same as the kind of cheating Puffie is talking about (because jjnofly is available in JJ2). Still, it's not nice to cheat, no matter how you do it. :p

Txl Kill
Jan 4, 2005, 03:58 AM
Your being just as immature as many cheaters are today. When Jazz2 was first being hacked by overlord, spazzyman, myself, and others we were always very professional about it. When we formed the Jazz2 Hack Group we made a rule that you may never hack in another persons server without thier permission.

You making a post crying about hackers in such a small community is just sending a attack out to many of us who find interest in how the game works. Not getting a higher score. You should maybe limit this attack to a individual not a group in general.

Thank you

cooba
Jan 4, 2005, 07:36 AM
Cooba cheats. ;P He used jjnofly to trap a flag in the bottom of my CTF lvl (there was an airboard in the lvl), so I had to rehost.That's not the same as the kind of cheating Puffie is talking about (because jjnofly is available in JJ2). Still, it's not nice to cheat, no matter how you do it. :ptotal lies :cool:

R3ptile
Jan 4, 2005, 07:46 AM
There are only two-four active cheaters and you can always call them n00bs and them ban them easily. =D

Try playing CS or something, you will find MUCH more cheaters than you mind.

Puffie40
Jan 4, 2005, 09:09 AM
Your being just as immature as many cheaters are today. When Jazz2 was first being hacked by overlord, spazzyman, myself, and others we were always very professional about it. When we formed the Jazz2 Hack Group we made a rule that you may never hack in another persons server without thier permission.

You making a post crying about hackers in such a small community is just sending a attack out to many of us who find interest in how the game works. Not getting a higher score. You should maybe limit this attack to a individual not a group in general.

Thank you

I am targeting the the complete idiots who do the things I mentioned in the first post. They almost have no right to even play.

I don't think haxxoring is that bad. Pryomanus, on one of his servers, tried a interesting hax where he could remote control me. I don't mind tinkering around like that.

A hacker that keeps his word would be highly respected by me, As those idiots who trash the server usually lie (Say "okay. no hacking." as they bring up the laser shield...) :mad:

Torkell
Jan 4, 2005, 09:15 AM
One word of warning: make sure that the person is actually cheating before banning them.

There was this post in the technical support section, wherein the poster was convinced that because norton had displayed a warning about a particular ip attacking another ip (in this case, *his* ip attacking someone), the person with that ip had to be banned from the entire JJ2 community. That would not have been a sensible thing to do as a) the alert claimed his (the poster's) computer was attacking someone else, and b) it was blatently a false positive.

So by all means ban abusers of the service, but make sure you get the right person.

Edit: did some digging. IP 66.41.39.245 resolves to hostname c-66-41-39-245.mn.client2.attbi.com. This looks like a dynamic one, so I'd be wary of doing an IP ban against that one. You could quite easily ban by mistake someone here who just happens to be using the same ISP as the cheater. By all means ipban if it's a static IP, but be careful before doing an ipban against someone on dialup - a redial is all it takes to dodge one.

Txl Kill
Jan 4, 2005, 02:39 PM
I am what is known in the CS community as a Professional Gamer. I am a supporter of Jazz2 Hacking since 2001 but I do not suppot cheating in a advanment to make yourself look good or cool.

The cheating in games like Counter-Strike is out of control and the only way to justify your own skill is to compete in tournaments on LAN, like the CPL which I have attended for the past 3 events.

Cheating is much different from Hacking. Even tho they are constantly given the same name or crisscrossed. Hacking is exploring code in a game to change the way it is running.

Cheating is using things like warps, lasershields, and so on.. In the case of CS.. Wallhacks, aimbots, speedhacks.

TO RECAP:
CHEATING = BAD
Hacking = Respectable

Spazzyman
Jan 4, 2005, 07:43 PM
i will hack you all now...because...you use the word hax0r.
stop using the word hax0r or its variants -- they are so stupid.
why cant people just say hack?

MaGoo
Jan 4, 2005, 07:45 PM
Because it doesn't sound threatening enough.

MoonBlazE
Jan 5, 2005, 03:06 AM
Omb it's Spazzyman! =D

*Group hug*

Txl Kill
Jan 5, 2005, 03:56 AM
Seeing spazzy is weird? WHAT HAS HAPPEND HERE?!?

Puffie40
Jan 5, 2005, 10:55 AM
Cheating is much different from Hacking. Even tho they are constantly given the same name or crisscrossed. Hacking is exploring code in a game to change the way it is running.

Technically, Enableing cheating in Mutiplayer is hacking. That is why they are often together.

Now, I can't see impersonators without being ticked off. Thanks to that one guy... (Dare I say his name? He sez he's a admin here...)

Hax0r is so zimple to say! 1t 1s L33t! 8D

Torkell
Jan 5, 2005, 11:56 AM
Hax0r is so zimple to say! 1t 1s L33t! 8D
Well, you've all been saying it wrong. Last I knew it was "h4x0r".
Boggyb.l33t++;

Tubz
Jan 5, 2005, 12:24 PM
Cheating sucks. And does jjnowall count as cheating?

Puffie40
Jan 5, 2005, 01:07 PM
Cheating sucks. And does jjnowall count as cheating?

In my books, yes. Although jjnowall is useful in getting unstuck, Anywere where you enter a code is considered cheating.

!Tman!
Jan 6, 2005, 08:11 AM
I got bored... And I have one of JazzUR Trainers :) but i cant use it i have windows XP. Oh ya JazzUR i figured out how to use it more than 5 times ;) U all think Jman cheated but I really dont know. I guess he could have learned it from me. But he is so stupid with computers so i doubt it. I dont cheat anymore its stupid ruins all points in the game.

Txl Kill
Jan 8, 2005, 04:36 AM
HEY!! I TAUGHT JAZZUR HOW TO MAKE A TRAINER I THINK!

Txl Kill
Jan 8, 2005, 06:45 AM
ViperMM used to be a member of J2HG

White Rabbit
Jan 8, 2005, 08:00 AM
Who's Viper?

Black Ninja
Jan 8, 2005, 03:36 PM
Cheating is apart of every game, and is very difficult to combat against. I've played games where whenever you wanted to play a cheat-free game you had to password it and tell the password to anyone you wanted to come, and that sucked cause I didn't know all the good players too well.

The case with JJ2 is slightly different though, because it is very easy to cheat in JJ2. I can remember before I knew how and Kaz joined my game and started to use shields and stuff (He was just showing off, like making it look like he had a water shield while not actually having one), and he was wise and when I asked him if he would tell me how you wouldn't. Later on I actually got information, well, more like the requirements to do so, and then I learned to do it myself from that. I can say that when I first gained the ability to cheat I did use it wrongly, I did abuse it, and I regret that, although without that 'stage' of cheating then I wouldn't have realized how bad it actually is.

But don't worry, cheating gets boring, and these cheaters will get bored and stop for a while, lets just hope that it happens soon.

Oh yeah, and as for that person being an admin I wouldn't worry much about saying the name, because I doubt they can do anything about it other than be looked on much more disrespectfully.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this subject. In the old days, I loved to "cheat". However, there is nothing wrong with hacking the game for beneficial things. For example, my program Anticrash. That required a large amount of messing with the game. Another example: my unfinished JJ2 bot (which NONE of you should bug me about).

So. I think someone said this before, but:

HACKING = GOOD ;D
CHEATING = NOT GOOD ;D

Nimrod
Jan 8, 2005, 05:10 PM
ViperMM used to be a member of J2HG

He hates J2HG with a passion, so I doubt it.

Lama
Jan 8, 2005, 06:10 PM
With a simple memory search and modification tool, anyone can "hack" JJ2 and even make a trainer\cheat program without even having to know <i>how</i> to program (thanks to the trainer making programs).

Majority of the programs I have seen are less than useless. In my opinion, few people have <i>released</i> helpful hacks\programs and those that I know of include Link (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/browse.php?userUploadsID=100) (Chatlog JJ2 among many others), Spaztic (http://www.jazz2online.com/spiffyjuice/progs/) (Debug Launcher, Quick Cheat and Name\Server Editor), Aiko (JazzEd), Eagle (Project Gamma), Overlord (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/browse.php?userUploadsID=237) (Cataclysm and a LOT more), pennywise (XJJ2), Cheeze (jj2srvinfo) and Spazzyman (Jazz2 ServerScan). Kaz and Mez did some really cool (unreleased) stuff as well. :cool:

What other people have to say about some of the aforementioned programs (there are also links to the programs and the complete comments):

"JazzEd does what it promises, and proves to be quite useful..." ~Derby on JazzEd (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=21) (The local censorhorse gave this a 10!)

"An extremely usefull program for people who like hosting CTF (like me, for instance). It does what it’s suposed to do flawlessly, and can be very usefull for things like JDC, so admins won’t have to shout at everyone that they have to bleach their names..." >CelL< on Project Gamma (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2040)

"Cataclysm is simply the best server maintnence tool you can find today. If your server has ever had a cheating problem, then set this program up and leave your computer. You need not worry that your server has quietly crashed or turned into a chaotic spree of cheating while you are gone..." ~Trafton on Cataclysm (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=819)

"This is the most useful tool I’ve ever seen for JJ2. Thank you Cheeze, for making this :)" ~Link on jj2srvinfo (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1057)

"Very nice program here. It’s like JazzTool, except you are not able to lag people with it purposely, and you don’t get to know who is in the server. Also, it doesn’t crash constantly..." ~Labratkid on Jazz2 ServerScan (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2480)

Torkell
Jan 9, 2005, 02:54 AM
HACKING = GOOD ;D
CHEATING = NOT GOOD ;D
It's good to see that some people know what "hacker" *really* means, not what the media thinks it means.

e.g. I'd consider myself a hacker as I mess around with programs in my system, and generally tinker in places that Microsoft would rather you don't. The media wouldn't consider me a hacker as I haven't hacked anyone's website (and don't intend to, unless the owner's happy for me to do so).

Puffie40
Jan 9, 2005, 11:58 AM
If it was not for the hackers, JJ2 would not be as good as it is now.

I've cooled off since I wrote that first post. I feel way better ;-)

Txl Kill
Jan 10, 2005, 04:24 AM
It's good to see that some people know what "hacker" *really* means, not what the media thinks it means.

e.g. I'd consider myself a hacker as I mess around with programs in my system, and generally tinker in places that Microsoft would rather you don't. The media wouldn't consider me a hacker as I haven't hacked anyone's website (and don't intend to, unless the owner's happy for me to do so).

HEY HE QUOTED THAT FROM ME! lol dont give him credit for his stealing and bad ethics :-p

Torkell
Jan 10, 2005, 06:55 AM
HEY HE QUOTED THAT FROM ME! lol dont give him credit for his stealing and bad ethics :-p
Really? Where did you post your original then? As this was certainly not quoted from anywhere.

Txl Kill
Jan 14, 2005, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Black Ninja
HACKING = GOOD ;D
CHEATING = NOT GOOD ;D

I mean that. :-p

Txl Kill
Jan 14, 2005, 07:03 AM
TO RECAP:
CHEATING = BAD
Hacking = Respectable

See :-p