PDA

View Full Version : Forest Tileset Contest

MoonBlazE
Feb 13, 2005, 04:41 AM
At first, this contest failed. Even though a lot of people showed interest, no one ended with submitting an entry to me. The result was no one were given any prices, and all the games are still lying here, unpacked and collecting dust. Thus, I am reviving the contest, to allow players a second chance of winning the prices.

The original contest post:
Forest Tileset Level Contest

Yeah, it sounds mad. A contest dedicated to even more cursed forest tilesets, which we've seen too many of already. The point of this contest is originality, so I would like to see a forest tileset that is so original themed that it is worth to consider using over something like Swamps.

Your tileset must:
- Feature a kind of forest. You are not limited to a specific kind of forest, so you may create any kind of forest (like as a frozen, enhanced, or haunted one).
- Be unique. Do not create a tileset looking the same as an already existing tileset, such as Swamps by Agama.
- Contain all the required tiles. These are destruction blocks, arrows, hooks, poles, signs, spikes, sucker tubes, trigger blocks, and vines. There is no requirement for a specific way of drawing them.

You earn points for additional details and their quality (such as mushrooms, webs, shrub, flowers, ect.). You lose points for mistakes, such as mask errors, broken textures. Future more, a public pool will be started and people may vote for your tileset for an additional 3 points.

The one with most points win, meaning the winner is not only cored from the quality, but also from the originality and popularity in his set. You are not allowed to have any help from others, rip tiles from other tilesets, or vote for yourself.

As price you may pick any of the following games that will be send to you by post: Rayman 3 (Hoodlum Havoc), IL-2 Sturmovik, Chessmaster 9000, Ghost Recon, Heroes of Might and Magic IV, or CSI (Crime Scene Investigation). The second place may also pick a game out from the remaining games.

The rules remain the same, the difference is just that instead of picking one prize, the winner picks 3 and the remaining 3 goes to the second place.

The deadline is at 20:00 (GMT) on the first of May, 2006. All entries must be sent to moonblaze (at) gmail (dot) com (moonblaze@gmail.com). Entries submitted later on the day may be accepted (with a good excuse). You are stronly advised to keep the deadline, though.

There will probably be two other judges in addition to me, Cibex and Dalspots (should they respond to me in the nearest future). Both of these are talented artists that will see the tileset from more than one point of view.

Stijn
Feb 13, 2005, 04:42 AM
Aye, this is what I call a good contest. Clear rules, original guidelines, real prizes. I might even participate! ;)

yes for real this time

LittleFreak
Feb 13, 2005, 04:44 AM
Aye, this is what I call a good contest. Clear rules, original guidelines, real prizes. I might even participate! ;)

I agree. I won't participate though, never tried out making tilesets.

Olsen
Feb 13, 2005, 04:48 AM
I agree too but i wont enter.

cooba
Feb 13, 2005, 05:22 AM
As price you may pick any of the following games that will be send to you by post: (...) Heroes of Might and Magic IVD<

I may try. But don't expect much. <s>Would you mind a blocky tileset?</s>

Nielsje
Feb 13, 2005, 06:22 AM
Maybe I actually try something too this time :)
Anyway, any comments on the maximum number of tiles? And do we have to make an example level?

MoonBlazE
Feb 13, 2005, 08:21 AM
Anyway, any comments on the maximum number of tiles? And do we have to make an example level?
1) No limitation. It may even be TSF.
2) You don't have to. Example levels are just a nice way of showing what you thought of with the tileset.

Violet CLM
Feb 13, 2005, 02:03 PM
Are multiple entries allowed? Must the tileset be made specifically for the contest? (Can it also be made for that 100 tile tileset contest?) <strike>If there are no limitations, can it be a Battery Check or JJ1 tileset?</strike>

Fawriel
Feb 13, 2005, 02:39 PM
...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. It would be hard for me to enter, but I'll see what I can do with my current equipment.

MoonBlazE
Feb 13, 2005, 03:22 PM
Are multiple entries allowed? Must the tileset be made specifically for the contest? (Can it also be made for that 100 tile tileset contest?)
1) Yes they are, although it does not increase chances of winning.
2) Nope, it's your tileset and you're allowed to do with it as you please.

Note: Entries can be submitted by either emailing them to me at Moonblaze@gmail.com or uploading them to Jazz2online and notice me of it.

I'm looking foward to see some good tilesets.

Disguise
Feb 14, 2005, 06:02 AM
Cute, very cute

Question: Am I allowed to enter a tileset of mine I've already started but never uploaded? (Some people have already beta tested it too). Could be a good reason for me to unlazy myself for a few seconds.

Oh, and you also get a sticky

R3ptile
Feb 14, 2005, 06:19 AM
Oh, and you also get a sticky
The JJ2WC II CTF contest deserves a sticky as well. 8D 8D 8D

NinJazz
Feb 14, 2005, 06:37 AM
I have a question, why Forest Tileset :p?

R3ptile
Feb 14, 2005, 06:38 AM
why Forest Tileset :p?
Why not? ;)

MoonBlazE
Feb 14, 2005, 08:14 AM
Am I allowed to enter a tileset of mine I've already started but never uploaded?
Yes, as long as it hasn't been officially released beforehand.

NinJazz
Feb 15, 2005, 09:23 AM
Why not? ;)

Why not not?

LittleFreak
Feb 15, 2005, 09:53 AM
Why not not?

It's easier for the designers to have a special subject I think. Also, the thing that a subject actually exists makes the contest more attractive, because it's not the same as all those contests saying "Make the best level/tileset/whatever you can to win".*

*I'm not attacking any contests using that or something similiar as "victory condition".

R3ptile
Feb 15, 2005, 10:09 AM
Why not not?
Why not not not?

LittleFreak
Feb 15, 2005, 10:15 AM
Why not not not?

You guys get annoying. ;-)

MoonBlazE
Feb 15, 2005, 01:24 PM
Stop spamming the thread.

NinJazz
Feb 15, 2005, 08:17 PM
Why not not not?

why not not not not?

(oh, we don't spam, this is FUN :lol: )

LittleFreak
Feb 16, 2005, 05:56 AM
why not not not not?

(oh, we don't spam, this is FUN :lol: )

It is NOT. Use private messages for this, but not here please.

R3ptile
Feb 16, 2005, 06:47 AM
It is NOT. Use private messages for this, but not here please.
Why do you mind? You are not an administrator, you didn't create this thread and we are not "ruining the forum" either. Sending private messages such as "why not not" would be even more annoying than posting them on a thread.

Oh and, why not not not not not? :rolleyes:

Raven aka StL
Feb 16, 2005, 06:56 AM
Forest tileset...

'k!

But I don't have a program to make tilesets! That's why I feel like a noob...

..........But I'm definately NOT A NOOB!

R3ptile
Feb 16, 2005, 07:33 AM
(PA)
Huh? You call us idiots because Moonblaze started a tileset contest topic? :rolleyes:

Nobody called you a noob, most of the people don't know how to create tilesets.

Anyway, use http://tilesets.hewwo.com/

[Previous quotation edit -FQuist]

Stijn
Feb 16, 2005, 07:47 AM
No he calls you an idiot because you are ruining this topic by posting a bunch of spam here so it's hard to find the actual senseful replies and thus you should stop. NOW.

And Emperor, use paint shop pro and visit disguises tileset resource at hewwolcom/tilesets.

LittleFreak
Feb 16, 2005, 07:47 AM
Why do you mind?

Because it annoys me.

You are not an administrator, you didn't create this thread and we are not "ruining the forum" either.

I already know I'm not an administrator, nor a moderator or anyone who has "the right" to judge on a subject like that. I also know I didn't create the thread, and I never said you were ruining the forum.

I'm asking you to stop it because it annoys me, aswell as the creator of the thread, and probably some other people.

Sending private messages such as "why not not" would be even more annoying than posting them on a thread.

Maybe, but why would anyone mind you two annoying each other with pms?

R3ptile
Feb 16, 2005, 08:30 AM
Because it annoys me.
Believe me it doesn't. In case it REALLY does, you shouldn't take anything so seriously... come on.. ;)

LittleFreak
Feb 16, 2005, 08:39 AM
Believe me it doesn't. In case it REALLY does, you shouldn't take anything so seriously... come on.. ;)

Let's stop this argument, it's pretty much pointless.

Best is we give each other a hand, and forget it. =)

I was probably a bit harsh, I wasn't in good mood a short while ago.

EDIT: Is that my imagination, or is the page's layout suddenly messed up?

R3ptile
Feb 16, 2005, 10:26 AM
EDIT: Is that my imagination, or is the page's layout suddenly messed up?
Probaly because of Fl@$h's signature.

LittleFreak
Feb 16, 2005, 10:28 AM
Probaly because of Fl@$h's signature.

Could be possible, because that happened to me in another thread too where Flash posted. No offense though.

Derby
Feb 16, 2005, 01:28 PM
Posts beyond this one with off-topic content will have off-topic content removed. Consistently ignoring this will result in the provision of warnings.

[By FQuist: I would like to add that it's against the rules to spam like this, R3ptile and Ninjajazz. Please keep ontopic next time and don't derail threads with a clear topic with such nonsense. This counts for The Emperor, too.]

Raven aka StL
Feb 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
EDIT: Sorry... it made two posts... I didn't notice... :O

Raven aka StL
Feb 17, 2005, 06:36 AM
Oh... does the program to edit the tileset require the use of internet...?

(this is definately NOT off-topic...)

MoonBlazE
Feb 17, 2005, 01:43 PM
*I* private messaged Derby to stop the spam, yet you ignore his warning and keep going. Now, I demand you, The Emperor, to stop spamming my contest or you will be permanently banned from it. Period.

Disguise
Feb 22, 2005, 10:08 AM
Stop this...now.

I feel like deleting all the offtopic posts, but I'm just gonna turn a blind eye for now. All future off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted as they make it hard for people who are interrested in the contest to see what's going on.

Besides, spamming stickies is bad for your health, very bad }>

Edit: Oh bah, never skim read topics after you just woke up from a nap, derby and fquist already posted about the spam, I'll blame it on blindness or something. Either way you now have 3 admins on your case }>

Biohazard UOI
Feb 24, 2005, 03:43 AM
This sounds like something I would be interested in, except that I'm already busy on another tileset. I always take forever to make them :) .

Btw, you don't need to have awesome programs to draw tilesets. All I ever use is MSPaint and Pallete Suite 2, and I think mine turn out decently. Occaisonally, I use MSPhotodraw for texturing, but 99% is Paint.

Yeah, my tileset in progress is wintry with pine trees as scenery, but they aren't dense enough to call it a forest tileset, but for anyone out there who's hunting for ideas, maybe try a wintery pine forest!

Fawriel
Feb 24, 2005, 10:53 AM
Oooooh, I have a question about the prizes!
Are they sent by mail or file transfer? And........ just in case I never get my better computer to work with Windows and everything, would you mind if the prize was sold on EBay by the winner...? =3;

blurredd
Feb 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
Biohazard, I say just call it a forest tileset and submit it when it's done. I really doubt that Moonblaze will refuse to accept it.

And Fawriel, it looks like he's going to mail the prize.

Raven aka StL
Feb 25, 2005, 05:34 AM
*I* private messaged Derby to stop the spam, yet you ignore his warning and keep going. Now, I demand you, The Emperor, to stop spamming my contest or you will be permanently banned from it. Period.

I have never spammed this topic...

I have asked important questions about the tileset editor... so that I could have a chance to participate...

MoonBlazE
Feb 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
It must have characteristic details for a forest, Biohazard. Tilesets that only have a few trees in the background isn't really a forest.

Fawriel, the methode of transfering is already stated in the original post. It'll be sent to you by mail as an original CD.

Disguise
Mar 2, 2005, 10:04 AM
- Contain all the required tiles. These are...<b>trigger blocks</b>...By these, do you mean the 1 tile platform blocks that dissapear when you use a trigger crate?

Examples of what I am talking about are in diamondus and carrotus

Violet CLM
Mar 2, 2005, 12:48 PM
I would assume. The switch blocks.

MoonBlazE
Mar 3, 2005, 01:06 AM
Trigger Blocks are anything that is animated by a Trigger Create, such as "Blocks that disappear", gates, or even bars. The idea behind it is to have at least 1 visible tile useable for locking or unlocking areas with Trigger Creates (like gathering keys to open doors). Those in Carrotus and Diamondus are a very basic way of drawing them.

MoonBlazE
Mar 7, 2005, 12:28 PM
*** Moonblaze [~web@72.9.239.178] has joined #jj2
*** Topic is: press t to type -- Going to EC2005? Read and fill out the date poll: http://www.livejournal.com/community/jj2/6412.html -- (QuakeNet: shlongs: SlashNET: dongs) anyone feeling fabulous? SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE!
*** Topic set by SlaYo [Mon Mar 7 17:27:11 2005]
*** Moonblaze Labratkid MaGoo^ White_Rabbit Fawriel ThO_Odin314 SkulL` Samara GenEX [slim] [CC]Chiyu KeeK02005RL [CC]Grytolle @SlaYoAwaYo @FQuist Unhit Haikz Inkoddi @Tickbot @Spaztic[dead] @iCeD_ [N]ightmare Trafton[idle] @Monobot Opie @Q @Snow^kz @Nimrod @Monolith
*** Channel created on Sun Apr 13 00:32:14 2003
[Labratkid] hey mb
[Snow^kz] Hey
[Moonblaze] Heya, I've come to annonce a new solo price for my tileset contest
[White_Rabbit] ooooooooooh what's the price
[Moonblaze] Instead of picking a game of choise, you'll get a cd with one single sound track
[Moonblaze] This track lasts for 25 hours.
[Snow^kz] 25 hours?
[Moonblaze] Because you all are so patient and willing to work out a good tileset, I'll give you a hot preview: http://www.wasteourbandwidth.com/uploader/userfiles/smirffster/kids-raffi%20-%20Ducks%20Like%20Rain.mp3
[Moonblaze] This is the beginning of the song, which is also the rest of the 25 hours.
[Snow^kz] You must be kidding.
[Moonblaze] I always listen to that song while creating my tilesets. So did Agama. It is the big secret.

cooba
Mar 7, 2005, 12:32 PM
\:D/

25 hours seems a little... long ;|.

White Rabbit
Mar 7, 2005, 12:35 PM
It is the BIG secret. By big, maybe Moonblaze meant long? Well, you don't get to create Agama-quality tilesets without spending time. :roll:

Unhit
Mar 15, 2005, 04:20 PM
TF MAKES BEST CONTESTSSSSS 8D

MoonBlazE
Mar 20, 2005, 12:24 AM
Deadline will be 18:00 (military time, +1 GMT) on the first of April.

White Rabbit
Mar 20, 2005, 02:25 AM
Probably a fake deadline. ;)

MoonBlazE
Mar 25, 2005, 01:04 PM
Just posting to mention that only a week is left.

MoonBlazE
Mar 30, 2005, 09:56 AM
The contest will expire in less than 2 days and I still haven't received a single entry yet. Notice that if less than 3 entries are submitted, only one winner will be chosen and given a price.

Disguise
Apr 1, 2005, 01:51 AM
I cannot finish my tileset in time. I have two assignments for university that need to be handed in on the 7th and 8th of april and I am not going to finish off this tileset and ignore that work that I need to do.

The set is nearly done. In fact, it's so close to done that I could upload it right now and nobody would realise that it isn't finished, but the set lacks eyecandy, and I won't upload it until I've added in the eyecandy, which I will do once I have finished my assignment work.

Oh, and in the april fools spirit: There never was a set, there never will be a set, I have retired and any thought about people expecting a set from me is either just dumb hope or stupidity. Sorry for bringing your hopes up, but everything I have asked about this contest and making tilesets is not actually true, goodbye and have a nice day.

8D 8D 8D

MoonBlazE
Apr 1, 2005, 03:35 PM
The contest has been over for a while and not a single entry was submitted. How awfully disappointing, especially considering how simply it was and the huge amount of time given. Don't tell me you've been busy working for nearly 2 months.

Violet CLM
Apr 1, 2005, 06:58 PM
No, but I am very forgetful. I did get an inspiration when you posted a reminder about this a couple of days ago, but I have been sick and unable to work on anything. Sorry.

MoonBlazE
Feb 24, 2006, 11:42 AM
Bump. Please read the original (edited) post.

MSB3000
Mar 12, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hey! Look! A forest tileset contest! I made a tileset like that a long time ago! (A REALLY LONG TIME AGO) I'll send it to you when I'm on the right computer. =D

Actually, it's complete crap. I'll send it anyways.