PDA

View Full Version : The best tileset?

Raven aka StL
Feb 25, 2005, 06:56 AM
What tileset you like best?

I like the "Tomb Rabbit" tileset, but it could also be the "Big city" tileset...

(feel free to lock this if the idea happens to suck...)

DarkSonic
Feb 25, 2005, 07:00 AM
'Big City' tileset? Is that an alternative for Mega Megatropolis?
Oh, and btw. I like Odyssey alot. And Heaven.

cooba
Feb 25, 2005, 07:01 AM
In the future, it would be nice if you'd provide real names of the tileset. ATM I can only guess that by "Big city" you mean "Mega Megatropolis".

Tileset of choice: Cornflake 01

LittleFreak
Feb 25, 2005, 08:19 AM
Erm... there was a very cool 3D beach tileset by Kejero, but I honestly can't remember the name.

blurredd
Feb 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
Coast (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=197).

LittleFreak
Feb 25, 2005, 08:53 AM
Coast (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=197).

Ah yes, that was it. ;D

Superjazz
Feb 25, 2005, 11:46 AM
<3 Chateau <3

blurredd
Feb 25, 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning Agama and Disguise sets. I'm more surprised that no one is posting in this thread.

Newspaz
Feb 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
MEZ01

It's extremely versatile. I also think it's the best because it probably is the most used custom tileset ever.

n0
Feb 25, 2005, 07:34 PM
Metal Mania by Disguise.

Stijn
Feb 26, 2005, 12:58 AM
NEW CASTLE BY UNHIT OFCOURSE

Ragnarok!
Feb 26, 2005, 03:16 AM
My fav set is probably WindStorm Fortress

Raven aka StL
Feb 26, 2005, 04:40 AM
By Big city I mean a tileset made by Djiletzko on another JJ site...
There were cars and all kinds of traffic that could be put in the levels...
It is cool, but when my computer was 'programmed off' or somethin' I lost it!

DERN! I gotta ask for D to get it back... then you could see it too...

By the way that 'Metal Mania' is great too... I just had a modified version and it sucked...
And BlurredD... what is that tileset in the picture of 'Avid shield users forever'?
It looks kinda nice too... (as an estimate)

cooba
Feb 26, 2005, 04:49 AM
And BlurredD... what is that tileset in the picture of 'Avid shield users forever'?
It looks kinda nice too... (as an estimate)Odyssey (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2278)

Raven aka StL
Feb 26, 2005, 05:22 AM
Odyssey (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2278)

Thanks!

(Again I feel like a noob...) :( :Z :o

cooba
Feb 26, 2005, 05:23 AM
No problem. <Because you are one.>

Raven aka StL
Feb 26, 2005, 05:23 AM
And Cooba... are the rumours true?

Are you REALLY leaving JJ2???

LittleFreak
Feb 26, 2005, 06:01 AM
And Cooba... are the rumours true?

Are you REALLY leaving JJ2???

Not that I know of.
Why should he?

Nielsje
Feb 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
Swamps and Odyssey are the best in my opinion.

White Rabbit
Feb 26, 2005, 08:28 AM
Not swamps, that's only Agama's 3rd best tileset, IMO. ;P My favourite tileset would be far from the best. I think that the best tilesets should not only look good but also be easily used. Mega Megatropolis is very hard to use (only the TSF version though) but you can get used to it. Egypt is also kinda annoying because it limits you to make only city or temple lvls. Some tilesets are actually eqaul, depending on what kind of lvl you want to make. There is no real ULTIMATE tileset because a tileset cannot be infinitely large and therefore cannot have all of the tiles and themes JCSers want. How about renaming this thread to 'Favourite tileset?'.

Blackraptor
Feb 26, 2005, 08:30 AM
swamps/egypt/wiset sets.

Nielsje
Feb 26, 2005, 08:58 AM
In combination of good quality and user-friendliness, I would pick Diamondus Beta.

White Rabbit
Feb 26, 2005, 11:39 AM
It still kinda reminds me of Diamondus, which is over-used (cause it is Diamondus, just with a different look :p).

Violet CLM
Feb 26, 2005, 01:04 PM
Diamondus Beta is one of the few available tilesets that was actually rejected and destroyed (other nonavailable tilesets in this field include Carrotsville, and most stuff from Cyberspaz), so it's hard to imagine that it would be the best.
I'm not sure if I have a favorite. I like Heaven (best Agama), Jungle (just needs to have some fixed masking), Diamondus (see other topic asking same question), Carrotus (general requirement for plot-based packs), and beyond that I don't tend to reuse tilesets all that much. Mez01 is always good and through a strange series of events I tend to use HocusEP1 over and over.

White Rabbit
Feb 27, 2005, 12:58 AM
There are loads of good Epic tilesets with bad masking. Beach, Medivo, HH98, Inferno, Darn.

cooba
Feb 27, 2005, 01:24 AM
And Castle, Labrat, Colonius, Psych... The only "flawless" one IMO is Tube Electric.

Raven aka StL
Feb 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
Colonius???

LittleFreak
Feb 27, 2005, 09:01 AM
Colonius???

Episode 2 - Jazz In Time
Level 1 + 2

Raven aka StL
Feb 27, 2005, 09:05 AM
I thought that was 'Colon'???

LittleFreak
Feb 27, 2005, 09:26 AM
I thought that was 'Colon'???

Come to think of it - it's the same. :P

'Colon' is the short form of 'Colonius'.

Raven aka StL
Feb 27, 2005, 09:29 AM
'k!

Biohazard UOI
Feb 27, 2005, 01:20 PM
My favorite official tileset is probably Colonius.

My favorite custom set is probably..um.... close between MEZ03A and Egypt [Night].

I haven't made levels with preexisting tilesets (official or otherwise) in a long time. Maybe if I started doing that again I'd have more luck with my tilesets.

I think I'll go make a CTF level with Colonius or something :) .

MoonBlazE
Feb 27, 2005, 03:48 PM
I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning Agama and Disguise sets. I'm more surprised that no one is posting in this thread.
Surprised? These sets are a definition of overuse, every commonly played level these days use them as were they Castle. Being best is a matter of opinion and impression unto it, sets that are so often seen hardly have a chance of surprising the player with original and attracting eye candy.

Personally, I like my last set the most because of the way the eye candy turned, although the set was very small and not very stable of multi player maps.

If you really want to figure out the 'best' set, you can look it up through the statistics of J2online, only to discover it also being the most overused and thus most boring set in existence.

blurredd
Feb 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
You do have a point in saying that overused tilesets get boring, but that doesn't negate the fact that it had to be a good tileset to begin with. I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that all of Agama's and Disguise's tilesets are used often. This is easier to see with Disguise since he holds the title of most tilesets created by a single person, and he probably will keep it as long as JJ2 exists. Besides that, they put a lot of effort into their work, and that shouldn't be ignored. I'm not saying they made some of the best sets simply because of that, but it does play a large part. Alright, so maybe some of Disguise's sets looked rushed, but definitely not all of them.

It's a bit of a paradox that tileset creators want their sets used, but not overused. The more something is seen, the less appealing it is in the future as seen with Tube Electric and 7th Lava Fall. To solve that problem, level makers just have to build with underused sets instead of using the same set some other person just did. But if you're someone like me (makes a lot of levels while using a variety of tilesets), you find it hard to find a good tileset to use. So another solution would be for more tileset makers to make more quality sets. That's just my opinion.

But wait a minute... When I said what I did in my last post, I just mocking what happened in previous topics like this one.

Anyway, with all that said, my favorite tileset would have to be Agama's Egypt because it's probably her least used set and it has the best variety of tiles in conjunction with quality. Other sets on the top of my list include Town House and ET's Slimy Land, neither of which I haven't used yet but I hope to in the near future.

Raven aka StL
Feb 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
Anyway, with all that said, my favorite tileset would have to be Agama's Egypt because it's probably her least used set and it has the best variety of tiles in conjunction with quality. Other sets on the top of my list include Town House and ET's Slimy Land, neither of which I haven't used yet but I hope to in the near future.
Where can I find ET's Slimy Land and Town House???

Thanks... :rolleyes:

Raven aka StL
Feb 28, 2005, 09:40 AM
And what about that 'HocusEP1' and 'MEZ01' that Unknown Rabbit mentioned...

(Sorry, for being such a 'tendril')

LittleFreak
Feb 28, 2005, 09:40 AM
Town House is one of the tilesets that came with TSF (or isn't it?).

I'm too lazy to search for Slimy Land, browse through the download archive on J2O yourself.

Raven aka StL
Feb 28, 2005, 09:42 AM
OK... thanks!

Violet CLM
Feb 28, 2005, 02:52 PM
Neither of the tilesets I mentioned have been uploaded to J2O by themselves, but you can find them in these two packs:
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1892">Time Tripping JJ2</a> contains Hocus Pocus EP1.
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2258">The Nothing in Particular Pack</a> contains Mez01.

Raven aka StL
Feb 28, 2005, 09:03 PM
Neither of the tilesets I mentioned have been uploaded to J2O by themselves, but you can find them in these two packs:
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1892">Time Tripping JJ2</a> contains Hocus Pocus EP1.
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2258">The Nothing in Particular Pack</a> contains Mez01.

Thanks a lot... :)

Sacrush
Mar 1, 2005, 12:52 AM
I think the best tileset is : Island in the sapphire sea by Blade. I just love the set.

R3ptile
Mar 1, 2005, 12:56 AM
I'll just list my favorites:

Heaven
Odyssey
Diamondus B
Oasis
Swamps
Space
Dark Reign
Psych 2
7th Lava Fall

Blade
Mar 1, 2005, 01:31 AM
The favourite original set: Holiday Hare '98 Evening
The favourite custom sets:
Swamps of the Sleeping Jaguar Evening (Evening tilesets are fun :))
7th Lava Fall

In a tileset I value it's appearance quite much. The levels must look nice, and heck, with Swamps and the HH'98 you can create unearthly beautiful levels. Of course the playability must not suffer. Some tilesets, such as Egypt, could be a lot better with more carefully made masks. Also, I like tilesets that look hand drawn (here's an explanation to my Agama obsession :)). Exception to this is the 7th Lava Fall set, which is spectacular when used properly.

White [VS]
Mar 1, 2005, 03:30 AM
In my opinion best tileset is Miracle Of Sun.
It's big, have many animations etc.etc.
Ant this climate! I like it :P

Superjazz
Mar 1, 2005, 04:34 AM
Hehe, now I have two favorite-tilesets. Chateau, and the tileset uploaded by Blade yesterday, Islands of the Sapphire Sea. 8D

Both are fantastic.

Galavant
Mar 1, 2005, 04:38 AM
I think, that Miracle of Sun is the Best Tileset. Hmm... who is Galavant :)))))

Raven aka StL
Mar 1, 2005, 04:57 AM
Where can I get Sapphire sea, Miracle of Sun and Chateau tilesets (and levels)...?

Nielsje
Mar 1, 2005, 05:02 AM
J2O. Just do a search for them in the Downloads Section.

Since yesterday we have a very good new tileset... :)

Miracle of Sun is good but TSF.

Raven aka StL
Mar 1, 2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks I guess...! (seriously)

Galavant
Mar 1, 2005, 05:56 AM
So, I can ONLY Send you my Tileset...(Miracle of Sun)

Stijn
Mar 1, 2005, 06:21 AM
Come on, just upload it to J2O.

Raven aka StL
Mar 1, 2005, 06:25 AM
So, I can ONLY Send you my Tileset...(Miracle of Sun)

OK...

Well then, where? :confused:

White Rabbit
Mar 1, 2005, 07:49 AM
I know what Cell's favourite tileset is. ;) :D

Mine is Discofever (gave it a 10, hehehe :p).

Violet CLM
Mar 1, 2005, 12:27 PM
Emperor, I don't want to be rude, but please stop asking where you can find tilesets. Nine times out of ten, any tileset mentioned is going to be on J2O. That's what we have the downloads section for. Use it.

Disguise
Mar 1, 2005, 05:41 PM
Swamps of the sleeping jaguar.

There are still days where I would just sit and stare at that tileset for hours, amazing work...:eek:

P.S. OMG BLADE!

Raven aka StL
Mar 2, 2005, 05:11 AM
Emperor, I don't want to be rude, but please stop asking where you can find tilesets. Nine times out of ten, any tileset mentioned is going to be on J2O. That's what we have the downloads section for. Use it.

The list of downloadable files is a bit messy you know...

The single player, battle, CTF, (treasure hunt), tileset, music...
should all have their own archive...
You know... they'd be much more easier to find if you could know better where to look...

Nielsje
Mar 2, 2005, 05:49 AM
You can click the "view"-dropdownbox on the Downloads Page, and select tilesets. Then click the Submit button and you'll only see tilesets. If you did it right you'll see the best ones on the first page.

Blade
Mar 2, 2005, 07:27 AM
P.S. OMG BLADE!
Does this mean that you thought you had one adversary less? :D

I just read your tileset making guide, because it seems that the Islands of the Sapphire Sea has a horrible palette (I admit, scary it is). Just read the the reviews I've got so far :D Gotta learn this at last before the 12th set ;)

Disguise
Mar 2, 2005, 07:58 AM
Just glad to know that we all haven't died out yet :P

Violet CLM
Mar 2, 2005, 12:46 PM
Not only that, if you're looking for a specific file, you can use the search button. It's really quite simple.

Gizmaluke
Mar 11, 2005, 08:39 PM
My favourite tileset is Heaven or Windstrom Fortress

Raven aka StL
Sep 18, 2005, 11:05 AM
ok...nm... I will continue all that crap I was working on... thx!
plz... Fquist or Derby... OR someone! plz... close this thread... it has been rendered meaningless now... THX to all! :D

KboutR
Sep 18, 2005, 11:07 PM
my favourites: Diamondus Beta and Dimensions (sirius) by Agama

DoubleGJ
Sep 19, 2005, 07:40 AM
Disguise's Unreal Imagination for it's originality.

CrimiClown
Sep 19, 2005, 08:11 AM
I like... Err... Almost everything... Besides the 'cartoon' tileset... OMG! The one who created that must die!

FQuist
Sep 19, 2005, 08:15 AM
There's no reason to close this thread. Nor was there any reason to revive a half year old thread in order to mention that it should be closed.

LittleFreak
Sep 19, 2005, 08:42 AM
I like... Err... Almost everything... Besides the 'cartoon' tileset... OMG! The one who created that must die!

Haha, I'm wondering what Satan will say if he reads this. http://forum.sunflowers.de/images/smilies/silly.gif

CrimiClown
Sep 19, 2005, 09:05 AM
I don't care... :p But I think we both, Satan and me, must agree that tileset is UGLY! ;)

VashTheStampede
Oct 18, 2005, 07:36 AM
it was revived so i will post,

the best tileset is Cool Day.

Raven aka StL
Oct 20, 2005, 05:23 AM
sorry FQuist XD

...just close it thanks-

EDIT: my new favorites "bricks", "iron gate" and (allways) "MOS (aka Miracle of Sun)" :D