PDA

View Full Version : A cool way for connecting levels

DoubleGJ
Apr 5, 2005, 02:51 AM
http://www.jsz-clan.republika.pl/dl/CoolConnect.zip

This is an example of how you can use the Warp Secret event to make a Metroid-like level connecting. It's not perfect, probably only for going to a level and then back to previous, but still can be useful.

Olsen
Apr 5, 2005, 03:54 AM
I haven't got time to check it out. but it sounds perfect for me... (hinthint) ;)

LittleFreak
Apr 5, 2005, 04:20 AM
=O

Pretty cool.

White Rabbit
Apr 5, 2005, 11:51 AM
Metroid-like?

Birdie
May 1, 2005, 11:51 AM
ITS 2.03!!!!! i cant load it ...

Blackraptor
May 1, 2005, 01:34 PM
Spiffy idea. I think I even might use it somewhere in my sp pack too..(giving credit to you for bringing up the idea, of course)

edit: too bad you'll have to kill the enemies all over again if you cycle back and forth, as well as things like triggers will restart ;(.

EvilMike
May 2, 2005, 02:23 AM
This is somewhat cool, but the use described in the original post is very limited in that only two levels can be connected without a bit of strangeness.

There are two ways of going to a secret level in jj2. One way is by using a bonus sign post. The other way is by using a normal secret level event. The bonus sign post works like a normal level switch and is the best (if not the only) way of properly doing multiple exits in jj2.

The other method makes jj2 consider the level you arrive at an actual secret level, and as soon as you hit a normal end level event it will return you to the warp secret event you got there from. You can use bonus level signposts to proceed to ther levels, but jj2 will still consider them to be secret levels, and as soon as you hit a normal exit you are back at the first level.

So in other words you can either have two levels connected with this method, OR you can have an extremely weird and useless chain of multiple levels.

I am currently working on a different system that can connect levels "metroid style" which would be a bit slower and a lot more effective. I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

EvilMike
May 2, 2005, 03:18 AM
ok I work quickly and rush things. <a href="http://www.evilmike.mynuts.org/jj2/hereyougo.zip">EvilMike's new level pack!</a>

Obviously this is really ugly. All the warp stuff would be hidden in a nice black screen area if this was to be used in a real level. But for now note a few things about this.

All four levels connect to each other, and you have the freedom to travel both ways.

When you arrive at a level, the place you start depends on "which way" you entered the level.

With this method you may connect as many levels as you want. The only limitation is that a level can only have two exits. Also, one of the exits will require the player to shoot in order to trigger it. A simple "press fire" message will do, and while this is annoying I know of no better way.

I would have used this trick in my single player pack, but I really saw no use for it. I do have plans on using it in episode 3 though. But that's a little far off.

LittleFreak
May 2, 2005, 03:23 AM
I don't get it.

White Rabbit
May 2, 2005, 03:49 AM
I think this idea could be expanded by using a second version of the first lvl, one that doesn't allow you to coin warp to the exit.

This idea would be best for large...er...exploring lvls like jungles or cities....running and jumping just for the sake of running and jumping. ;)

EvilMike
May 2, 2005, 03:29 PM
Using multiple versions of the same level is another method, but for larger level packs where all the levels are supposed to connect, that would practically double the size of the pack and create a lot of confusion for the level maker.

LittleFreak
May 2, 2005, 10:30 PM
I did something similiar by making double levels once. There was a lot of revisiting in that one, however, you didn't get to choose where to go next.

Xobim
May 5, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yes, this mechanism is very handy, but
what's the difference between secret- and bonuslevels then?
If you can use the bonus level warp, you can make three connections with other levels!

Violet CLM
May 5, 2005, 01:11 PM
Secret levels are ordinary JJ2 levels, but they're generally hidden. Bonus levels are 3D and involve running around on a 3D landscape after some unknown objective because the feature never really made it into the game. The "Bonus Level Signpost" event just sends you to a secret level.