PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea!

Mircea
Jun 1, 2005, 07:41 AM
I've been thinking a lot about Jazz3 and I have an excellent idea. It should be in full 3D, right? Now, if you don't really want it to be a 3rd person shooter and you want to make it a fan game so this will be legal, I have an idea.

We could make Jazz3 by editing another game (a shooter) and modifying textures, sounds, maps... etc. But, most of today's games are ineditable and very complex with all types of codes and engines.

Still, there is a game that I’ve played many times (I've finished it at least 6 times) and it would be absolutely PERFECT for this. It has all textures in "tga" format (and before the unpack "jpg"), all sounds in "wav" format and every model has its own file (as every map). It also has a level editor (I think) but I don't know how to use it.

Now, those who already know the game might LOL when I tell you what's this game's name, but here I go; Kingpin - Life of Crime.

The bad thing is that this is a 1st person shooter. But it has many weapons, cutsceens based on textures and modeling (not already recorded avi files or something like that) and it has all the features needed. And, a 1st person shooter is far more real than a 3rd one (you see through a person's eyes like in reality, not from behind).

Well, this is a game about street life, gangsters and criminals (as the name says "life of crime"). It is very violent and it also has very ugly words, but after editing, this wouldn’t be a problem any more. The cool thing is that when you see a person, you can choose to "talk nice" or "tell him bad things" and this makes it really interesting. You can also hire gang members and they will come with you and help you beat up other bad guys.

I used to edit this game myself but the most I could do was to edit "jpg" 's and "wav" 's. But, as I said, this would be a perfect game because it's extremely editable. Editable enough to make a perfect Jazz3 game. If you don't have Kingpin - Life of Crime try to get it and examine it. And I don't think it's illegal to edit this game without the rights from Xatrix (those who made Kingpin) as long as it's a fangame and it's not on money.

tandyworld
Jun 1, 2005, 08:11 AM
I've been thinking a lot about Jazz3 and I have an excellent idea. It should be in full 3D, right? Now, if you don't really want it to be a 3rd person shooter and you want to make it a fan game so this will be legal, I have an idea.

We could make Jazz3 by editing another game (a shooter) and modifying textures, sounds, maps... etc. But, most of today's games are ineditable and very complex with all types of codes and engines.

Still, there is a game that I’ve played many times (I've finished it at least 6 times) and it would be absolutely PERFECT for this. It has all textures in "tga" format (and before the unpack "jpg"), all sounds in "wav" format and every model has its own file (as every map). It also has a level editor (I think) but I don't know how to use it.

Now, those who already know the game might LOL when I tell you what's this game's name, but here I go; Kingpin - Life of Crime.

The bad thing is that this is a 1st person shooter. But it has many weapons, cutsceens based on textures and modeling (not already recorded avi files or something like that) and it has all the features needed. And, a 1st person shooter is far more real than a 3rd one (you see through a person's eyes like in reality, not from behind).

Well, this is a game about street life, gangsters and criminals (as the name says "life of crime"). It is very violent and it also has very ugly words, but after editing, this wouldn’t be a problem any more. The cool thing is that when you see a person, you can choose to "talk nice" or "tell him bad things" and this makes it really interesting. You can also hire gang members and they will come with you and help you beat up other bad guys.

I used to edit this game myself but the most I could do was to edit "jpg" 's and "wav" 's. But, as I said, this would be a perfect game because it's extremely editable. Editable enough to make a perfect Jazz3 game. If you don't have Kingpin - Life of Crime try to get it and examine it. And I don't think it's illegal to edit this game without the rights from Xatrix (those who made Kingpin) as long as it's a fangame and it's not on money.
what is all this about :confused:

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 1, 2005, 08:19 AM
Uhm..... Razz Arena?

Mircea
Jun 1, 2005, 08:51 AM
No, no, no.
I was thinking that we could make a good Jazz3 game by editing another game (models, textures, sounds, maps and the storyline and the name of the game, of course).
For example; I have a game with a man shooting with a SMG in the subway.
I edit the game, put a rabbit instead of a man, a blaster instead of a SMG and a valley instead of a subway. So, I make Jazz3 (this is just a simple example, it's not that easy, no?)
Now, I have a game that is very editable and I was just thinking that it might do the job after examining the way it was made. That's all.

Sonyk
Jun 1, 2005, 09:04 AM
We would probably have to recieve (possibly buy) rights to the game before we could actully make a Jazz 3 which we could share with others and edit freely, since we might have to edit the source to fit what we would need for Jazz 3. At least, that's what my minimal understanding of this tells me.

Mircea
Jun 1, 2005, 09:17 AM
As far as I know, you only need the rights of the game you edited if you sell it. If you make a fangame, upload it on the net for free and give it to friends for free, why should anybody care???

R3ptile
Jun 1, 2005, 09:37 AM
"Kingpin - Life of Crime"? You gotta be kiddin'... a Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004 mod would be the best.

n00b
Jun 1, 2005, 11:31 AM
Uhm..... Razz Arena?
Pssst, Razz Arena is MP only, AFAIK Jazz 3 is supposed to be SP with MP(Ala Jazz 2 or Halo or something)

cooba
Jun 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
Why don't they (makers of Razz Arena) bother making the game Single Player, I have heard of Single Player Q3A mods.

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 1, 2005, 02:54 PM
Now I get it. You mean missions and stuff? That would be cool. A sort of Starfox Assault ground mission thing.

P.S. Can you get in cars and stuff in KP:LOC. If you could, then you could put Jazz's spaceship or something from the first game. That would be sweet!

n00b
Jun 1, 2005, 03:15 PM
Now I get it. You mean missions and stuff? That would be cool. A sort of Starfox Assault ground mission thing.

P.S. Can you get in cars and stuff in KP:LOC. If you could, then you could put Jazz's spaceship or something from the first game. That would be sweet!
Plus we need the airboard!
On a sidenote, there was an unfinished hangglider and kart in Jazz 3d.

Mircea
Jun 1, 2005, 03:36 PM
No, there are no vehicles (there's only one car in one of the cutsceens and parked vehicles on the street witch you can't use). The game is a bit old but, as I said, I like it because it's easy to edit (it's really flexible). I was thinking to edit a few textures / sounds tomorrow in Jazz style and see how it looks (but I can't get as far as models).

Another bad thing is that the game has no ambient music (just some songs playing from some apartments or radios around the map) and when the characters talk their mouth doesn't move. And another thing (and this is a really big problem) is that if you shoot someone with the shotgun or other heavy weapons you rip their leg, arm or head off and it's not a really good image. And if you use some weapons like an upgraded pistol and you shoot someone in the head the whole character turns into gibs and spreads itself all over the street (I'm saying this because there's NO WAY I want to see something like this in Jazz (again, NO WAY (and for the third time, NO WAY))). And it also has pain skins if you hit somebody (this option can be deactivated from the menu though and can be removed by using the same bmp on "normal skin" and "pain skin").

Anyway, with the right software, you could get almost everything you want from Kingpin. Yes... tomorrow I'm going to edit a few textures and see what I come up with because I'm sure that this game would do the best Jazz Jackrabbit 3 if edited properly.

Mircea
Jun 2, 2005, 07:26 AM
OK, I've finished editing. I made a few textures and sounds so the first level of the Kingpin game will look a little like the first level in the second jazz 2 episode (Turtle Town or something like that).

I tried to upload the rar file on this site but it tells me to only upload finished files. Where can I put this?

Grytolle
Jun 2, 2005, 10:21 AM
How big is it?

Mircea
Jun 2, 2005, 10:57 AM
35.7 MB.

Sonyk
Jun 2, 2005, 11:56 AM
Owch. You'd better have a good way of distributing that.

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 2, 2005, 01:59 PM
You could put it piece by piece on the web. That would work.

Mircea
Jun 3, 2005, 12:45 AM
How do you upload a rar file on the web (I got myself internet through cable one month ago and I'm not pretty good with things related to the net)

Sonyk
Jun 3, 2005, 09:21 AM
Putting it on a webserver. But most freehosts don't allow files over 5mb.

blurredd
Jun 3, 2005, 06:17 PM
How about some screenshots in the meanwhile?

Odin
Jun 3, 2005, 07:33 PM
How about some screenshots in the meanwhile?

He just learned the concept of webspace. I don't think he understands how to take screenshots yet.

Sonyk
Jun 3, 2005, 07:40 PM
He just learned the concept of webspace. I don't think he understands how to take screenshots yet.That in mind, I'm curious about how good this modification really is.

blurredd
Jun 4, 2005, 12:19 AM
He just learned the concept of webspace. I don't think he understands how to take screenshots yet.
That also makes his self-proclaimed title questionable. In any case, getting a few screenshots online would be a lot easier than trying to upload that 35.7 MB file.

Plus I don't want to download anything that large with my 56k without seeing what it is first.

Mircea
Jun 4, 2005, 01:33 AM
OK. Maybe I putted my custom title like this because I just love computers and I'm still learning. As I already said, I'm not good with the internet. But, for your information, I know to install an operating system, tweak advanced settings in BIOS, and if you really wanted to know, I assembled my computer all by myself.

Anyway, I took a few screenshots of this mod.

[img=http://img123.echo.cx/img123/5756/19sc.th.png] (http://img123.echo.cx/my.php?image=19sc.png)

[img=http://img117.echo.cx/img117/2535/22nh.th.png] (http://img117.echo.cx/my.php?image=22nh.png)

[img=http://img117.echo.cx/img117/8793/34db.th.png] (http://img117.echo.cx/my.php?image=34db.png)

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 4, 2005, 03:46 AM
I thought you said it could be 3rd person. And PLEASE try... to remove... the... blood. :r

Mircea
Jun 4, 2005, 01:11 PM
No... it's only 1ST person... and one of the reasons I didn't draw any Jazz characters is because I don't know how to remove the blood.
Anyway, it's not only the fact that the game can be edited easily but I think that Kingpin has the perfect gameplay feel and some features that make it perfect for a Jazz game.

piet
Jun 25, 2005, 12:50 AM
Why don't they (makers of Razz Arena) bother making the game Single Player, I have heard of Single Player Q3A mods.

cos it would take a lot of time to make maps for single player. we dont have that mutch time

EnergyClock
Jun 25, 2005, 03:45 PM
I don't think 3d was a good idea to begin with. So many games have been great in 2d and ruined inthe transfer. The only good 3d games to several tries to get it right. The only game that got it right on the first try was Meteroid Prime.

Torkell
Jun 26, 2005, 05:06 AM
Legend of Zelda: Occarina of Time also managed to get the 2d->3d transistion right. Can't think of any other games that got it right, or, for that matter, many games which started out as 2d and turned into 3d.

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 26, 2005, 08:12 AM
Mario games are now 3D. They turned out fine. And to remove blood in any game, find the image of it and make the image blank. It will still add in the blood, yet the blood will be nothing! Unless the images are in a special format.

Fawriel
Jun 26, 2005, 09:41 AM
Mario games are now 3D. They turned out fine.
They play VERY differently, though. Compare Super Mario World to Super Mario 64.

EnergyClock
Jun 26, 2005, 09:46 AM
Mario 64, in my opinion, was not very fun. Mario Sunshine was the first one that was actually very fun. As for Zelda, that did not change very much because the others were birds eye view, not side scrolling.

NinJazz
Jun 26, 2005, 10:00 AM
Mircea sounds like the youngie Ninjajazz when NJ just entered these forums, I think Leporidae is now fired from official NinjaJazz Junior place. Sorry Lepor.

Torkell
Jun 26, 2005, 02:07 PM
Mario 64, in my opinion, was not very fun. Mario Sunshine was the first one that was actually very fun. As for Zelda, that did not change very much because the others were birds eye view, not side scrolling.
It changed the gameplay of it a lot. The older ones were birds-eye, and you only really had 2 dimensions to play with (either compass points, or left/right/up/down). Occarina of Time added a lot to it. You had true 3d movement in any direction, you could aim weapons like the bow and boomerang in any direction, and the battles were a lot different. The different control system helped: you could now have a sword and a shield and jump at the same time, not to mention also have a bow or bombs to hand without having to drop into the menus.

ShadeJackrabbit
Aug 13, 2005, 12:37 PM
In risk of restarting a topic, what happened to this project?

J@[zz]
Aug 27, 2005, 06:40 PM
I think, what making mod-game Jazz will help to spent our time for waiting JJ3 (Coming not soon!). But the best mod will be on Unreal Tournament 2004. Nice engine, maps and fx. You can set a gore level = 0 and create a jazz, spaz, lori and other models for this mod with you own blood style (each model have it) and create a style like NoBlood with empty textures. Create weapons and pickups and more, more, more...

Just install full version of UT2004 - it includes Unreal Editor 3.0 to create mod.

piet
Aug 28, 2005, 05:42 AM
Unreal Tournament 2004 is not Open Source. so everyone will need the game to play it. Since a few days Quake3 is fully open Source so we can compile standalone games. Maybe Quake3 is a little out dated but it will do the trick.

and dont fool yourself, World peace is more likely then Jazz Jackrabbit 3D ;)

blurredd
Aug 28, 2005, 09:09 PM
It doesn't mean a Jazz Jackrabbit mod for UT2004 shouldn't be created though. There were talks about creating such a mod in another forum, but enthusiasm died quickly afterwards.