PDA

View Full Version : What's a good tileset for making test levels?

EvilMike
Jun 4, 2005, 01:30 PM
I am working on a new test level, mostly because I feel like it. I like making tests.

Anyway, the problem is I can't find a good tileset. Currently I am using cool day because that is the ultimate set for making test levels, but I would rather switch over to something less generic.

What I consider to be a good tileset for making tests is one that is easy to use, has letter/number tiles, isn't TOO ugly, and hasn't already been used a million times.

If anyone knows of any other sets that match this description, I'd like to know. I think either violet or urjazz once made a fairly good tileset for tests, but I can't remember what it was called. It was rather colourful.

Odin
Jun 4, 2005, 01:33 PM
Eagle's test tileset (used in my new Temporal Flux level) contains number tiles, and a "lvl" tile. It also has some basic eyecandy.

EvilMike
Jun 4, 2005, 01:41 PM
Ok sometimes it helps to say the name of the set or the filename. Or even post a link to where I can get it.

I thought that was a bit obvious but I guess not.

That is unless the set is actually called "Eagle's test tileset", because I don't have that.

Odin
Jun 4, 2005, 01:47 PM
Ok sometimes it helps to say the name of the set or the filename. Or even post a link to where I can get it.

I thought that was a bit obvious but I guess not.

That is unless the set is actually called "Eagle's test tileset", because I don't have that.

I told you it was in my new level, but fine. The tileset fileneme is lametile.j2l, and the name is Lame Tileset.

Violet CLM
Jun 4, 2005, 02:16 PM
If anyone knows of any other sets that match this description, I'd like to know. I think either violet or urjazz once made a fairly good tileset for tests, but I can't remember what it was called. It was rather colourful.
Whoa, I forgot all about that one. It's called PB: Colorful and unfortunately has like the worst texturing job ever.

n00b
Jun 4, 2005, 02:21 PM
Would Cassa Gradient work? I'm not all too sure since I don't make test levels (Plus I just said the tileset without looking at it, so don't expect me to be right on for a good test tileset)

EvilMike
Jun 4, 2005, 02:22 PM
Now that I look at it, I have to say you might be right. I remembered a prettier set for some reason.

And odin, aside from the set having no letters, it is pretty good. But letters are important.

And I beat your level in like 10 minutes.

EvilMike
Jun 4, 2005, 02:31 PM
Would Cassa Gradient work? I'm not all too sure since I don't make test levels (Plus I just said the tileset without looking at it, so don't expect me to be right on for a good test tileset)

NO LETTERS

FireSworD
Jun 4, 2005, 04:06 PM
What I consider to be a good tileset for making tests is one that is easy to use, has letter/number tiles, isn't TOO ugly, and hasn't already been used a million times.

That Jill of the Jungle conversion:

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2457

It's not put together very well. There are no freely usable letter tiles which are essential to you, so if you could, try to improvise (Why not use text events?). And no I didn't think it was a good tileset for tests just because Lark said so in his description.

You need something less generic? here you go. It may not include all of the tiles you need or have the theme you desire but it's just a suggestion.

Iam Canadian
Jun 4, 2005, 10:16 PM
Nobody's mentioned Top Secret? Generic, yes, but infinitely better than Cool Day.

Ðx
Jun 4, 2005, 10:19 PM
I used at one level Tube Electric. It sounds weird but you can make cool test levels with it

Violet CLM
Jun 4, 2005, 11:24 PM
Tubelectric is kind of cool... <a href="http://www.tachyonlabs.com/sam/Tubemon.j2t">here's a version of it with letters</a> I made at one point. It was designed for a monopoly level I never finished, but it does have letters.

n0
Jun 5, 2005, 12:28 AM
Chez (My tileset [Shameless plug]) has two sets of letters... I think it would work well for a test level.

destinylord
Jun 5, 2005, 12:29 AM
you can also use topsecret 3 but its a little bit overused 2

cooba
Jun 5, 2005, 01:39 AM
Chez (My tileset [Shameless plug]) has two sets of letters... I think it would work well for a test level.I have already suggested Chez to Mike, and he said no. In his opinion it takes too long to make a good looking level with it (lies), and he doesn't really like the color scheme.
Nobody's mentioned Top Secret? Generic, yes, but infinitely better than Cool Day.Too generic. And it takes a while to make the level with it look good.

@Mike
What about Ground Force tileset?