PDA

View Full Version : Background Trigger Scenery...

n0
Jun 5, 2005, 12:36 AM
I would like to make a level that has a HUD type thing on layer 7. So, I read UR's article on background trigger scenery, and checked out the example levels, but none of the example levels had diffrent triggers on the same layer, as you would need for a HUD. I'd give more info on what I tried, but my monitor is bugging out... so if you know of a way to get multiple triggers on the same background layer HPL PLZ THX!!!!1

Violet CLM
Jun 5, 2005, 12:55 AM
It's the exact same principle. Set up several things in the same layer, make sure they all use different animated tiles, and it should work.

Fawriel
Jun 5, 2005, 02:27 AM
..wait, there are events that work on layers other than 4?

cooba
Jun 5, 2005, 02:28 AM
Interactive Scenery events.

Violet CLM
Jun 5, 2005, 11:38 AM
..wait, there are events that work on layers other than 4?
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcsref">Thanks for playing.</a>

n0
Jun 5, 2005, 01:32 PM
Ok... I tried that but to no AdvilĀ®.
I was going to have a vertical stack of 6 tiles, each of which would be a diffrent animation (six colors, for example) This vertical stack was 12 tiles over on layer seven. So, I set up horizontal rows of trigger scenery that were 15 tiles long, each with the same event and animation. I stacked 6 diffrent sets of these rows (each a diffrent trigger ID and animation) on top of each other in the same order that they were on layer 7. You would think that that that would cover it, but it did not work. Suggestions? Comments?
THX PLZ!!!1

Violet CLM
Jun 5, 2005, 05:13 PM
Try putting some room between the actual trigger scenery rows, say at least six tiles. They tend to conflict when close by. If that doesn't work, try sending me something and I'll see if I can fix it.

n0
Jun 6, 2005, 10:29 AM
:/ Still doesn't work... How do I contact you?

-=Edit=-
Just sent you a PM with a link to the level.

Radium
Jun 6, 2005, 11:43 AM
Wow, I never noticed that article. A pity it won't work on foreground layers, though.

n0
Jun 6, 2005, 11:46 AM
Truely a pity. So, Layer 7 works for a HUD, just not as nice as layer one would.

Violet CLM
Jun 6, 2005, 10:25 PM
Huh... I'll see what I can do. I've fixed it partially, but it's still not working, so I'm doing something wrong... this is really a very unreliable science.

EDIT: Done. PM sent back to N0, who can post it here if he wants.

n0
Jun 7, 2005, 03:17 PM
Alright, thanks. Got it to work.

And, just to let the world know, test your background scenery in multiplayer, as in single player it just might not work. Has something to do with not loading the whole level at the same time.

I got it to work like so. I had the six tiles I wanted as the triggers stacked in a single column on the same Y pos as the background stuff I wanted to change. Since that worked, and since I had tile width selected, I tried spreading out the tiles a little so I could use less vertical space. I found that, if I offset the triggers by the same number as the layer 7 width, it was as if it was in the same column. Meaning instead of having it stacked 6 high in the upper left corner, I had them spread out with 20 tiles between each one, and only one tile deep.

Just thought you might want to know what I've found out.

`N0