PDA

View Full Version : *POLL* COME JUDGE THE ENTRIES TO THE JAZZ COMPETITION

Baggers
Jun 5, 2005, 01:42 AM
Hi people, well the competition to make a loading graphic for Jazz3d is over and we have been swamped by OVER 2 ENTRIES ! thats right folks there are 3 contestants here and i need you to judge them.
Just post saying the name of the author of your favourite pic.
I will close the voting in 2 days (just so we can get a few votes !)

OK picture 1 by the ever omnipresent Fawriel.
http://chaos.foxmage.com/JAZZ3D.png

Next sapphire jazz has his 5 minutes of fame.
http://img245.echo.cx/img245/8096/wallpap13uf.png

And finally Piet has his vector talents on display
http://www.eckhart.da.ru/razz/img/jj3d2.jpg

Ok people now its down to you, get voting !

Olsen
Jun 5, 2005, 01:58 AM
My vote goes to Fawriel.

Fawriel
Jun 5, 2005, 02:03 AM
Mine, too.

....what?

Stijn
Jun 5, 2005, 02:23 AM
Uhm, to be honest, none of them is really good. Sapphire Spaz's has some nice things but the mushrooms don't fit and the text looks horrible. :(

blurredd
Jun 5, 2005, 02:27 AM
If I'm forced to choose between those, I'd have to go with Fawriel's. Otherwise I vote for BlurredD's secret entry.

Grytolle
Jun 5, 2005, 03:08 AM
Piet's is the best.

n00b
Jun 5, 2005, 06:57 AM
I'm going with Faw's, and if you ever do that touch-up, then make the characters a tad larger, since the background detracts attention away from Jazz and Spaz (at least on my screwed up monitor.. darn 98)

Blackraptor
Jun 5, 2005, 07:18 AM
Dunno, Faw's is good, but I think I like Sapphire Jazz's more. The rabbits in Piet's look kinda high (especially jazz, look at his face expression and him holding the gun, then look at that poor poor turtle in the corner =P).

n00b
Jun 5, 2005, 07:52 AM
The rabbits in Piet's look kinda high (especially jazz, look at his face expression and him holding the gun, then look at that poor poor turtle in the corner =P).
<s> thats no gun, thats an LFG shaped bong </s>
Actually you may be right, but the fact that it's all vectored art originally drawn by Nick and Noogy somewhat scares me.

Fawriel
Jun 5, 2005, 10:12 AM
I'm going with Faw's, and if you ever do that touch-up, then make the characters a tad larger, since the background detracts attention away from Jazz and Spaz (at least on my screwed up monitor.. darn 98)
Oof... I don't think I'm able to do that... Sorry. =\

Sacrush
Jun 5, 2005, 11:03 AM
If I'm forced to choose between those, I'd have to go with Fawriel's. Otherwise I vote for BlurredD's secret entry.

Uhmm... What secret entry...

Kaine Jackrabbi
Jun 5, 2005, 11:16 AM
To be honest, Sapphire Jazz's is the best and most accurate to the official style so I'll vote for theirs. But Piet's is also a pretty decent drawing.

cooba
Jun 5, 2005, 11:17 AM
But Piet's is also a pretty decent drawing.Stolen from Noogy D=

Violet CLM
Jun 5, 2005, 11:42 AM
...of the two I can see, Sapphire's looks better, but there seem to be reliable reports that eckhart does work for some people, so I will reserve judgement.

Torkell
Jun 5, 2005, 12:30 PM
I personally dislike loading screens (I have Nintendo consoles/handhelds), but if there has to be one I vote for Sapphire Jazz.

Fawriel
Jun 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
...not wanting to sound like a bad loser, but what do mushrooms have to do with Jazz Jackrabbit?

Risp_old
Jun 5, 2005, 12:34 PM
I vote for Faws. It's the only one without seeming drug refrences.

n00b
Jun 5, 2005, 12:47 PM
To be honest, Sapphire Jazz's is the best and most accurate to the official style so I'll vote for theirs. But Piet's is also a pretty decent drawing.
Just to get this clear: Both use Artwork from Noogy and Nick Stadler which is either: Recolored, or reoutlined and recoulored. Also, Piet added in the LFG 2000 in place of the gizmo gun(?) in Noogy's original sketch.
Proof:
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/media/nodes/characters/spazmoveb.gif Drawn by Nick Stadler.
http://www.jazz2online.com/j3f/JJ3%20ice.jpg
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Lijik/gizzooglestuff/proof001.jpg(Sorry about the crappy jpeg, it's the best I can do on this 98) Drawn by Dean Dodrill(AKA Noogy)

White Rabbit
Jun 5, 2005, 12:59 PM
I vote for Fawriel's!!! His entry's Fawsome!

It's the most original and he, unlike the other two, did everything by himself. It needs to be improved, yes, but it's still better than Piet and Sapphire Jazz's. They're all good drawers, I won't deny that, but only Fawriel has actually put in some work into his entry.

I vote for Fawriel's again!!!
I vote for Fawriel's for the 3rd time!!!
Ok, Faw's leading. :p

Fawriel
Jun 5, 2005, 01:00 PM
Yay!

By the way, when improving the picture, I'll clean up the little miscolored pixels around Jazz and Spaz and add their shadows.
And maybe something else, if I can still think of something.

Spotinik
Jun 5, 2005, 01:21 PM
I'll vote for Faw's. I can't think of any reason here except for the fact that out of all entries, I seem to like his entry more. Mainly because it's actually drawn instead of using an original picture..No offence meant there. All entries are good, but I seem to like Faw's more, so my vote goes to Faw.

aokmaniac13
Jun 5, 2005, 01:29 PM
I vote #2.

Radium
Jun 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
I can't decide between Faw and Piet. Faw's has to do with both Jazz Jackrabbit AND 3D. Spaz chewing on a cube is a great addition. But Piet's has a rather consistant, angular style and really nice title.

Oh, and why not give the thread an actual poll?

Baggers
Jun 5, 2005, 01:54 PM
I wasnt sure exactly how and I really wanted to get it up in a hurry !

Radium
Jun 5, 2005, 01:57 PM
I wasnt sure exactly how and I really wanted to get it up in a hurry !
I think there used to be a way to get a poll in a thread after it was posted, but I'm not sure if you can anymore... maybe see if an admin will add it?

Baggers
Jun 5, 2005, 02:22 PM
I know this is very late...but have a look
This is entirly up to the guys who have entered, should this be allowed to compeat ?
http://www.foxmage.com/JJ3DSketchy.jpg

Olsen
Jun 5, 2005, 02:30 PM
<strike>Yes.</strike> Ok, I know I can't say anything, but YES!!!11111

n0
Jun 5, 2005, 02:39 PM
I vote Rad!

Risp_old
Jun 5, 2005, 02:41 PM
Ooh. I change my vote to Rad's. It's the only one to be both style-consistant and well-arranged.

Baggers
Jun 5, 2005, 02:45 PM
wow radium is picking up some speed !

n00b
Jun 5, 2005, 03:01 PM
I too change my vote to Rad's, it beats the heck out of my WIP one(which i am still working on), and the others.

Olsen
Jun 5, 2005, 03:07 PM
I vote again and again and again for Radium! :P

Radium
Jun 5, 2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure I feel right about having mine entered at this point. I mean, everyone else actually worked to meet the deadline and stuff. I spontaneously decided to enter a couple hours before the deadline and didn't finish until the day after the deadline.

n00b
Jun 5, 2005, 03:49 PM
But yours isn't some redone official work placed infront of some trippy background either.

Radium
Jun 5, 2005, 03:56 PM
But yours isn't some redone official work placed infront of some trippy background either.
Well, you have two thirds of a point there.
But like Baggers said, we should leave the decision of whether it should be entered up to Faw, Piet, and Sapphire.

Torkell
Jun 6, 2005, 12:52 AM
...not wanting to sound like a bad loser, but what do mushrooms have to do with Jazz Jackrabbit?
Hmm... well, there's the dancing mushrooms in the Alice in Wonderland levels...

LittleFreak
Jun 6, 2005, 08:40 AM
All four pictures have weaknesses I'd like to point out.

Faw's is good (as usually =D), but I think the characters don't look three dimensional enough to be at the cover of a 3D game.

Sapphire's picture looks cool, but I think the lightning makes it look unrealistic I would say. <s>And would the heck are those mushrooms doing? =O</s>

The third pic by Piet isn't bad either, but Jazz looks like a little child on it's 5th birthday <s>which took too much heroin</s>. Spaz looks a bit weird too (too edgy).

Rad's picture is the best I would say, however, Spaz' hair is not right.

If Radium is allowed to enter, I will vote for his picture, if not then Fawriel gets my vote.

Man, I'm such a (-) critical (is that a word? 0_o)

White Rabbit
Jun 6, 2005, 08:57 AM
No offence to Radium but although his Jazz looks cool, his Spaz looks like a dog. Also look at their noses! Remember that they're rabbits. I still like Faw's the best, but I haven't actually seen the game and therefore can't judge which one suits the game best. I've seen screenshots, but those were of the unfinished version. Still, a completely hand-drawn, scanned (probably), picture with pen/pencil lines don't really fit a 3D game, despite the quality. And as Radium said, Fawriel's entry has much more to do with 3D than the others. This is, after all, going to be the first ever finished Jazz Jackrabbit game in 3D, so we might as well choose a loading screen that emphasizes that.

n0
Jun 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well, in response to critisisim on Rad's Spaz, I think that is my favorite fanart of Spaz ever. ...Know what? It's my favorite peice of Spaz related art ever, even better than Nick's or Noogy's work. That is exactly what Spaz looks like! (at least in my head)

Fawriel
Jun 6, 2005, 09:42 AM
I vote for n00b.

Olsen
Jun 6, 2005, 11:30 AM
Well, in response to critisisim on Rad's Spaz, I think that is my favorite fanart of Spaz ever. ...Know what? It's my favorite peice of Spaz related art ever, even better than Nick's or Noogy's work. That is exactly what Spaz looks like! (at least in my head)

Me too =D!

n00b
Jun 6, 2005, 12:20 PM
I vote for n00b.
Go me... digga digga what?

Fawriel
Jun 6, 2005, 12:21 PM
Nevermind.

Risp_old
Jun 6, 2005, 12:33 PM
Still, a completely hand-drawn, scanned (probably), picture with pen/pencil lines don't really fit a 3D game, despite the quality.
Actually, if I remember correctly, Rad told me it was drawn with a tablet.

Baggers
Jun 6, 2005, 12:41 PM
OK people I have an announcement to make ... and its an apology.

I set the rules down in the first place to run this competition and all was well,
The competition closed and there were 3 valid entries and 2 stragglers.
I (foolishly) posted one of the stragglers entries as i thought it was cool.
Now that was my big mistake, as the one running the competition my views were to be of no consiquence, hence making this thread for you guys to vote.

This obviously has caused a shiscm and bothered a member of the forums enough to PM me about it (No i wont say who, i wont even say for sure if they have voted)... however the fact remains that their arguments were valid and let me see my mistake in a different light.

Now to remedy the situation somewhat. As Fawriel was in the lead with votes before my mistake Fawriel has WON the competition !
Im sorry if i have taken some of the fun out of this competition due to my posting...i have certainly learned my lesson.

Anyway on a happeir note well done to Faw !
Now I just need some E-Bubbly to give to him to spray everywhere !

Fawriel
Jun 6, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yay!

Baggers
Jun 6, 2005, 12:48 PM
And now i can crown you the winner !
http://www.unseenconcept.net/Faw.jpg

Fawriel
Jun 6, 2005, 12:50 PM

...........*chuckles*

Oh, by the way.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/19144929/

Finished version.

n00b
Jun 6, 2005, 12:52 PM
Wow a shiscm was created? I just remember critics on the Spaz of Rad.
But wow, a shiscm, man.

Baggers
Jun 6, 2005, 12:53 PM
I like that word !

n00b
Jun 6, 2005, 01:00 PM
I like that word !
Me too. It gained meaning due to those books where theres that girl who was named after Violet, and her 2 siblings who just have bad stuff happen to them.

And then they made that ok moive about it, where Jim Carrey stole the spotlight(but then again, thats just what his character does, so theres that)

piet
Jun 8, 2005, 10:44 AM
congreds Fawriel.

i cant draw myself so i used Deans drawings so if i was the winner i would not be prowd of it (prowd correct english ehmmm think not)

Fawriel
Jun 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
*proud

And thank you.