PDA

View Full Version : Test my map

EnergyClock
Jun 27, 2005, 08:03 PM
I have un-finished version of my first map, and I would like some feed back for it. I could not of made this map without your help either
http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=1997768

LittleFreak
Jun 28, 2005, 02:43 AM
Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/fs02/public_html/download.php on line 3
No Database Selected

Doesn't work for me.

Xobim
Jun 30, 2005, 03:47 AM
I Don't get an ie-dowload window. I just see a page with "downloading level". Why don't you just mail it me?

EnergyClock
Jun 30, 2005, 08:31 AM
too late now, I've uploaded the full version. It's called castle conflict.

Xobim
Jun 30, 2005, 10:54 AM
I'll see there then...

EnergyClock
Jul 8, 2005, 08:30 PM
Uhhhh, could someone give me feedback on this? http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files2.php?fid=7780869
There's a small link at the bottom to DL

FoxBlitzz
Jul 8, 2005, 08:51 PM
Agh, it's 1.24 only. Can't play it.

LittleFreak
Jul 9, 2005, 07:28 AM
OK, first of all some basic things:

The first is that you should use the 1.23 JCS instead of the TSF one. If you do, more people can play your levels because not everybody has TSF (=1.24). The second thing is the levelname. Instead of just naming it "jungle", I'd advise you choose a more original name because many levels are named that simple and thus you can easily overwrite a level belonging to an episode, etc. It's the same with readmes, by the way.

Now for the level. It was quiet average.

1. Too less originality. You run around collecting things, kill some enemies and sooner or later find the exit. That's been there thousands of times. Try doing something different, such as a puzzle, a difficult obstacle to cross or whatever comes to your mind.

2. Too easy. In one part there was a dragonfly which was strategically placed and so I got hurt, but in the rest of the level you could easily take your enemies out. Always try giving the enemies some kind of advantage or giving Jazz a disadvantage. For example, flying enemies can get through walls while Jazz can't, so placing them behind walls makes it more challenging.

3. Not all that great eyecandy. It looked decent, but the background was empty for the whole level except at the bottom (fix this by activating 'Limit visible region') and there were a few tilebugs (= tiles that don't fit together). Apart from that it just looks like one of the standard jungle levels, some more creativity in placing eyecandies would be appreciated.

4. Lack of story/plot. A level doesn't neccessarily need one, but it makes everything more fun because the player has a goal, something he needs to achieve. In this level you just run around and kill off enemies until you find the exit.

That was my feedback, think about it. ;)

EnergyClock
Jul 9, 2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks! Thats just what I wanted. Wasn't quite done though.

LittleFreak
Jul 9, 2005, 12:33 PM
No problem. ^^

Violet CLM
Jul 9, 2005, 04:40 PM
3. Not all that great eyecandy. It looked decent, but the background was empty for the whole level except at the bottom (fix this by activating 'Limit visible region')
Limit Visible Region moves the layer down, not up, so why...?

LittleFreak
Jul 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
I haven't used JCS for ages. =3

I was sure it could be fixed using the layer properties menu though.

Haphazy
Jul 11, 2005, 07:11 AM
Nice ideas. It could work, it's just a bit confusing, but that's just me. The walls are also a bit off, I dunno how to explain it.. Oh yeah, and the water looks it's filthy, but that can't be changed. If you could make it more distinct. ;-)

EnergyClock
Jul 13, 2005, 05:43 PM
Here's an update. It's about 3/4 done.
http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=8505810

LittleFreak
Jul 15, 2005, 08:33 AM
There's a warp without target. >.>

Made my JJ2 crash. Please fix this, then I'll play again.

EnergyClock
Jul 15, 2005, 09:45 AM
That warp us the end of the level so far, but it's going to go into a bunch of tunnels in the black area on the right of the map.

LittleFreak
Jul 15, 2005, 10:01 AM
Oh. Sorry, I didn't know. ^^

The level is a bit better now, enemies are placed on more strategic locations and I really liked the crate puzzle thing. It's still too linear though, and the eyecandy is still the same (maybe try resizing the layer? I suck at JCS ;( ).