PDA

View Full Version : Lighting vs. Water

Violet CLM
Jul 7, 2005, 01:47 PM
Blacky and I are arguing again. :(

Fawriel
Jul 7, 2005, 01:49 PM
Water makes me less dead when it hits me.

Uhm.. and it's cooler in general. Except less flashy.

Blackraptor
Jul 7, 2005, 01:50 PM
Water cant go away and disallows lighting in your level. You cant really have both in your level. I would choose lighting over water in almost all cases because its more flexible and can do cooler things (like fog, light tornadoes, caves with great atmospherE).

Fawriel
Jul 7, 2005, 01:51 PM
OH!
SDADSA
I thought it said "lightning"! >O

blurredd
Jul 7, 2005, 06:52 PM
Same here, so I assumed Violet meant shields and voted for water. But after reading it again, I don't have a clear answer. For SP, definitely lighting over water. But in MP, my vote goes to water. In online games, lighting is sometimes just an extra distraction. And in my case, it lowers my FPS in 16-bit. Sometimes I leave lighting on and sometimes I don't. It's usually off when I'm playing all out.

All that aside, if I had to choose which one is better overall, I'd have to go with lighting. It can add to the atmosphere of a level and make the eye candy look significantly better. If the color of water could be adjusted in 16-bit, I might've gone with that.

Blackraptor
Jul 7, 2005, 07:10 PM
So the score should be something like 6 - 2 (or 4-2 if both Faw and Blur choose neither) instead of the current, because of the deceiving title and post ;(.

With Lighting winning of course.

Black Ninja
Jul 7, 2005, 08:22 PM
Lighting = more rux. It can be used in many, many more ways than water.

FoxBlitzz
Jul 7, 2005, 08:30 PM
Water - It affects the gameplay and it can't be turned off by the end user.

Iam Canadian
Jul 7, 2005, 08:47 PM
Water. I generally prefer elements that impact gameplay over eyecandy effects. Water provides an entirely different form of mobility and enables the Fish enemy. Lighting just makes the level look cool (if used right) and can be disabled.

Xobim
Jul 7, 2005, 11:39 PM
Lightning, it has the capability to make the levels harder. When the lightning is minimized, you can't see a darn thing and you'll just bump into baddys.

cooba
Jul 8, 2005, 01:04 AM
When the lightning is minimized, you can't see a darn thing and you'll just bump into baddys.That kind of hardness sucks.

LittleFreak
Jul 8, 2005, 04:41 AM
That kind of hardness sucks.

It doesn't if done right (look at Evil Clones). Still, lighting can be turned off. I'll go for water.

cooba
Jul 8, 2005, 05:16 AM
It doesn't if done right (look at Evil Clones).Oh rightI forgot about that Hell level thing. ;|

Xobim
Jul 8, 2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, that kind of dimming is truly annoying. I deactivated it too.

CrimiClown
Jul 10, 2005, 11:44 AM
I love JJLIGHT :p

*Voted for water...