PDA

View Full Version : Jazz in Slow Motion

CrimiClown
Jul 13, 2005, 06:50 AM
<s>Slow Motion Jazz</s>Slighty impaired Jazz... (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=3774)

Please tell me what you think of this idea.

White Rabbit
Jul 13, 2005, 07:05 AM
yEAH, IT IS A

Oops, caps on.

Yeah, it is a nice idea. However, Jazz it's more like a Jazz slow-down rather than Jazz slow-motion because things just happen in a limited way (you don't jump very high up, you can't easily run over 1-tile long gaps). Real slow-motion has everything happen as it should, only slower. This is only a problem if what you want is true slow-motion, but what you've done is also pretty cool.

Another thing is that it only works in low detail, and weird things happen to Jazz when you try to push tiles, or when you glide against a wall. The 0.5 speed of the background is also quite smart but it may cause problems in large levels (not to mention the fact that you need to make ghost-levels in the background, as well as your real level in the sprite layer). Also, this DOES NOT work whenever you look up or down.

The fake background, used together with weapon SCEs, you could even generate flak (from AA guns). It looks quite neat, and it would make airboard levels interesting. Try it with your blaster! :D

CrimiClown
Jul 13, 2005, 07:14 AM
8D Thanks for liking it. Yes, it has a few bugs but I am trying my best to cover most of them. :)

Thanks to you, I edited the title and download link :p

cooba
Jul 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
Too bad it was Mike's idea to use background layers for gravity and speed tricks.

CrimiClown
Jul 13, 2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah... I got this idea from that weird up-side-down level... But that slow-motion/impairness ain't bad either, or is it?

Another thing is that it only works in low detail...

I don't think much people play this game, which requires MINIMUM recources in most computer, in low detail. Even my little brother (Has a 486 with Windows 98) can fully operate the game in high detail, without lag/low fps.

No reason to use low quality. The lighting takes more CPU...

n00b
Jul 13, 2005, 07:52 AM
Too bad it was Mike's idea to use background layers for gravity and speed tricks.
Too bad CrimiClown can use the idea if he wants too, as long as he's not ripping offf whole levels(See:Bad Pitt Again)

CrimiClown
Jul 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
(See:Bad Pitt Again)

Yeah... I made that episode while I was unconcience or something... I'd never use an existing jj2 level... But it DID fit in there, because you time-warped to where you met Devan ;)

White Rabbit
Jul 13, 2005, 08:16 AM
Sry, I meant that it only worked WITHOUT low detail. With low detail, you can see nothing. :p

CrimiClown
Jul 13, 2005, 08:21 AM
Sry, I meant that it only worked WITHOUT low detail. With low detail, you can see nothing. :p

Oops, I thought you wrote that in the first place... :)

LittleFreak
Jul 15, 2005, 08:41 AM
Nice stuff. ^o^

The bugs need fixing though.

Risp_old
Jul 15, 2005, 09:13 AM
If you fire while jumping around or moving a lot in general the explosions move oddly.

CrimiClown
Jul 15, 2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I know it is bugged. Working on it. The firing thing can't be fixed anyway, because layer 4 always moves the same speed. But, I could make it into a puzzle area and there would be no need to shoot. :) So, you have to solve puzzles where you move twice as slow. :)

LittleFreak
Jul 15, 2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I know it is bugged. Working on it. The firing thing can't be fixed anyway, because layer 4 always moves the same speed. But, I could make it into a puzzle area and there would be no need to shoot. :) So, you have to solve puzzles where you move twice as slow. :)

Go for it. Puzzles are generally a good idea (if I am going to review your level, that is).

CrimiClown
Jul 15, 2005, 09:37 AM
Go for it. Puzzles are generally a good idea (if I am going to review your level, that is).

I got some fantastic story idea's and puzzles in mind. Even some effects which nobody knows about (yet). So, I'm counting on you to review it! I'll PM you when it's done. (Hopefully within 2 months...)

LittleFreak
Jul 15, 2005, 09:38 AM
Sounds good. =)

CrimiClown
Jul 15, 2005, 09:43 AM
And, I got the smoke to work. (No questions asked, wait for the episode. Muhahaha!)

Jerrythabest
Jul 22, 2005, 04:45 AM
Yeah... I got this idea from that weird up-side-down level...

never heared of an up-side-down level! how can I get it?

also, it is fun to put turtles in the testlevel: they walk through everything (including air) and if only their shell is left, they move funny when you move....

so, i like it:) please PM me too if you're done with your episode =D:Dhttp://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/icons/icon10.gif:D=D

CrimiClown
Jul 22, 2005, 10:00 AM
Upside down lvl: Download Invasion of Deserto, there is an extra lvl in that pack, I think... It is partly upside down walking...

And, sure, I'll PM you

Firewall
Jul 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
how about placing a boss in the level? its funny

CrimiClown
Jul 22, 2005, 10:56 AM
Well, these things are actually meant for PURE PUZZLING, like a maze or something... As we all know now, events (F) up the whole lay-out, with floating enemies and stuff... This will be perfect for mazes and 'flashback' cutscenes and stuff, but not as an actual level. Being stoned in these levels is also fun (Smoke rings) 8D

Jerrythabest
Jul 23, 2005, 05:42 AM
Invasion of Deserto

Oh? Then I have that level on my computer:D

And, sure, I'll PM you

Thnx

CrimiClown
Jul 23, 2005, 06:08 AM
No problem.

Jerrythabest
Nov 24, 2005, 08:26 AM
I havent found the upside down part yet, can you say the filename of the level where the upside down part is?

CrimiClown
Nov 24, 2005, 10:12 AM
Jerry, that'd be devres13 or devres14, and the level's name is Painfull Purple Place or something like that...

cooba
Nov 24, 2005, 11:21 AM

Jerrythabest
Nov 25, 2005, 06:34 AM
k, thanx! *goes playing*

CrimiClown
Dec 3, 2005, 02:34 AM
Found it yet? :)

EDIT: I mean the upside-down part.