PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Tileset Question?

CrimiClown
Jul 23, 2005, 05:41 AM
I have a small question about the Thermal Tileset by Kaven (It's in this pack) (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=3663)

If you use textured background, it is a bit... Messed up. Does anyone know the correct colors to fill in on the Textured Background options? Or maybe another solution...?

Thanks in advance,

CC

Strato
Jul 23, 2005, 08:45 AM
I don't have any idea what the problem is. Textured backgrounds in Thermal K.1 work perfectly well.

CrimiClown
Jul 23, 2005, 10:19 AM
Hmm... Maybe it has something to do with 8-bit or 16-bit or anything?

Edit: Hmm... It won't work on 640x480x8, but it does on 640x480x16... =\ Well, solved that problem... guess my Episode will be 16-only...

Violet CLM
Jul 23, 2005, 10:53 AM
The simple answer was that Kaven basically had no idea what he was doing when he created the tileset, and failed to make a working textured background for it. 16-bit color mode usually attempts to fix non-working textured background, but at the cost of some features and functionality.

...and this is rudimentary information, by the way.

FoxBlitzz
Jul 23, 2005, 11:01 AM
In my opinion, Kaven didn't do too well of a job making the palette for the level. And if I'm not mistaken the textured background needs to use a certain part of the palette or it doesn't look right. Also, I made a textured background in the Labrat tileset once, and it looks ugly in 8-bit (black background with turquoise dots all over), but works fine in 16-bit.

CrimiClown
Jul 23, 2005, 11:11 AM
Well, anyway, thanks for the info, My episode will be 16-bit only, if it isn't fixable in any other way... 8D

Violet CLM
Jul 23, 2005, 12:58 PM
And if I'm not mistaken the textured background needs to use a certain part of the palette or it doesn't look right.
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/articles/view.php?articleID=199

Blackraptor
Jul 23, 2005, 01:00 PM
Well, anyway, thanks for the info, My episode will be 16-bit only, if it isn't fixable in any other way... 8D

Most people play 16 bit anyways ;( (Violet and I even had a poll about this and 16bit won by landslide).

Violet CLM
Jul 23, 2005, 01:14 PM
Most people play 16 bit anyways ;( (Violet and I even had a poll about this and 16bit won by landslide).
We didn't have a poll about which bittage people play in, did we? I thought it was a poll about which bittage was <u>better</u> and lots of smart people voted for 8-bit.

Blackraptor
Jul 23, 2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=12570

Only 5 people in total voted 8bit. And I would assume the bit mode people play in is the one they like best, especially since the options stated something along the lines of "I play in, and prefer 8/16bit mode"

edit: bleh, misread you. Either way, people voted for the one they thought was better and which they play in at the same time.

Violet CLM
Jul 23, 2005, 05:04 PM
Oh. Well, still, Pyro.

CrimiClown
Jul 26, 2005, 12:46 AM
Just played the whole single player version of the game (JJ2 and TSF+CC) in 16-bit for the first time and BOY! Do they look GOOOOD!!!! The water effects are awsome! 8D And the background is WAAAY cooler! 8D

Yes, I always keep default options... Must remember to check into the highest qualities possible next time...

Violet CLM
Jul 26, 2005, 05:41 PM
The water effects are awsome!
Yes. Not supporting lighting or anything at all is truly an awesome effect. Wouldn't it be awesome if 16-bit could disable some more features as well?!

*shuts up*

CrimiClown
Jul 27, 2005, 09:55 AM
Pfft... Lighting... ;) Nah, that's just too bad... Nothing to do about it.

FoxBlitzz
Jul 27, 2005, 10:27 AM
I play in 16-bit, but 8-bit has an extra feature that makes the screen cycle color hues when you're dizzy.