PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to vB 3.5

FQuist
Jan 14, 2006, 01:46 PM
We've made an upgrade from vBulletin 3.0 to 3.5, which is quite a large upgrade. You'll notice the most changes in things like editing posts.

<b>Known issues</b>

<ul><li>Post layouts are ugly/different. We know about this, and will take care of this at a later time!
<li><strike>New icons, which are much bigger, and some might not like them. They can be changed back if needed</strike> - Reuploaded all old images except for WYSIWYG editor ones
<li><strike>Usernames are now *below* thread names in the forums</strike>
<li><strike>Avatar rejection messages are too cryptic</strike> - Fixed
<li><strike>Signature limits are not completely working</strike> - Fixed
<li>Other things..?
</ul>Other issues might be added. If an issue was *not* mentioned here, please do post it.

Upgrading has taken quite some hours already. The aforementioned issues *will* be fixed, not immediately, but rather over the span of a couple of days, since we do not have the time to work on these things 24h/day. Thank you for your patience.

Nimrod
Jan 14, 2006, 02:26 PM
Good work Fquist :)

Only problem i see is the new theme is using the horrible default buttons, and not the nice ones we had :)

NovaStar
Jan 14, 2006, 02:39 PM
I agree, but the only newly updated button there is is 'Quote'.

Birdie
Jan 14, 2006, 03:15 PM
:( i liked the old one more

Violet CLM
Jan 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
Practically all the images have white dots all over their borders.

Odin
Jan 14, 2006, 03:39 PM
Practically all the images have white dots all over their borders.

That's because they were designed for white/very light colored backgrounds. Then again you knew that.

Anyways, I really want to see the PM button come back. However, i'd like to see the online/offline status pic (that vBulletin insignia at the bottom of everyone's posts) stay there, and perhaps be a color image of Jazz for online, and a light grey image of Jazz when offline.

Iam Canadian
Jan 14, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ew. The default buttons are ugly. Too big and colourful and...white bordered.
Also, in the Black and Red theme, posts aren't divided at all.

FQuist
Jan 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
Please, just report issues that aren't covered in the first post. We kno about the buttons and the strange posts.

Torkell
Jan 14, 2006, 05:23 PM
I feel your pain with forum upgrades. Oh yes, phpbb supply a mod file that you feed to easymod and then twiddle your thumbs, but of course it falls over spectacularly and destroys the forum if you've got other mods or custom layouts installed. And then leaves it to you to unpick the mess it made...

Good luck fixing the bugs.

Trafton
Jan 14, 2006, 06:55 PM
It's not so much that the new buttons are objectionable as that they are horribly antialiased.

Odin
Jan 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
It's not so much that the new buttons are objectionable as that they are horribly antialiased.

It's not vBulletin's fault that not every forum uses a white background.

Link
Jan 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
I'm fairly sure that we'll be going back to the old buttons. This came up during the last upgrade (Gamma to 3.0.6) and it was discussed a lot, and the decision was to keep the old ones. Don't worry about them, and if they bother you that much, use a light-coloured theme.

Anyway, this upgrade went very well, I think. The major remaining issues are virtually identical to those of the last upgrade, so we've already had experience dealing with them.

White Rabbit
Jan 15, 2006, 12:49 AM
When posting/editing a message, can't you have the 'Remove Text Formatting' button to remove ALL of the text formatting automatically? Currently, you have to select the ones you want to delete, and then click the button, which is pointless because you might as well use backspace/delete.

LittleFreak
Jan 15, 2006, 01:23 AM
Everything works fine for me. =D

White Rabbit
Jan 15, 2006, 01:27 AM
Hm, the 'quick reply to message' button isn't working. It just takes you straight to the 'quick reply' window without actually quoting the message.

CrimiClown
Jan 15, 2006, 03:38 AM
As long as it's functional, I'm okay with it.

cooba
Jan 15, 2006, 04:31 AM
This doesn't exactly resolve to the 3.0.6 -> 3.5.3 update, but this thread seems to be the best place to discuss this now...
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/birthday.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/birthday_small.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/calendar.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/stats.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/whos_online.gifThese are the icons added in vB 3.0.6. Since they're badly alphachanneled and antialiased like the rest of vB buttons, would it be possible to remove them?

R3ptile
Jan 15, 2006, 07:48 AM
I can't switch themes using the button below (I'm using Mozilla Firefox)..

Sonyk
Jan 15, 2006, 08:17 AM
None of the formatting or smiley buttons seem to work for me.

Odin
Jan 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
Odd, they work for me.

Also, besides a lot of things people don't like about this new version (mostly because of a new install), I have to say I like a lot of the new features, such as the way quick replies are now posted, as well as edits.

White Rabbit
Jan 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
They didn't work for me either, Sonyk. I don't know what causes it but try refreshing the JCF and look again.

And well done for upgrading the forums so quickly. ;) I had hardly any time to miss it (apart from my secret 'NOOOO!')

CrimiClown
Jan 15, 2006, 08:56 AM
None of the formatting or smiley buttons seem to work for me.
Same for me. I use FireFox.

White Rabbit
Jan 15, 2006, 09:04 AM
Does it work after you refresh?

Also, the JCF doesn't seem to save messages in the reply boxes. If I press forward or back while I type, and then go back to the reply box again, the message is erased. This never happened with the old JCF.

LittleFreak
Jan 15, 2006, 09:57 AM
Doesn't happen with IE = I win.

FQuist
Jan 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
Some problems mentioned here could possibly be caused because the javascript files of the old vB are still in your cache. As White Rabbit has (quite smartly) suggested, refreshing might help. If these problems still persist after the refresh, please tell.

LittleFreak
Jan 15, 2006, 10:04 AM
Or just empty your cache. :)

Sonyk
Jan 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
Weird, I thought I just cleared out my cache. Anyway, it works now. Thank ye, good WR.

Torkell
Jan 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
Note that you should do a forced refresh to guarantee clearing the cache (a normal refresh usually only reloads the page, not any referenced items). In IE press Ctrl+F5 to do a forced refresh - the key combination should be similar for other browsers.

FQuist
Jan 15, 2006, 02:09 PM
All icons were changed back to the pre-upgrade ones. For seeing this change, you also need to clear the cache, in the way BoggyB described.

Birdie
Jan 15, 2006, 03:37 PM
the "report bad post" button is kinda ugly

LittleFreak
Jan 16, 2006, 03:58 AM
Ah, now I see the difference. I liked the new ones better. D=

Stijn
Jan 16, 2006, 04:18 AM
Me too D=

Erik
Jan 16, 2006, 05:02 AM
nah, the new ones sucked.

LittleFreak
Jan 16, 2006, 06:03 AM
Without proper reasoning, you won't get far sir. >O

cooba
Jan 16, 2006, 06:13 AM
This doesn't exactly resolve to the 3.0.6 -> 3.5.3 update, but this thread seems to be the best place to discuss this now...
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/birthday.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/birthday_small.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/calendar.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/stats.gif&nbsp; http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/misc/whos_online.gifThese are the icons added in vB 3.0.6. Since they're badly alphachanneled and antialiased like the rest of vB buttons, would it be possible to remove them?D=<!---->

Link
Jan 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
We discussed those icons during the last upgrade. It was decided that we would keep them unless someone created good alternate ones (matching the rest of the buttons, or at least fixed).

Michael
Jan 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
I keep getting errors after a few posts on the JCF (or even just browsing):
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /jcf/forumdisplay.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.jazz2online.com Port 80

White Rabbit
Jan 18, 2006, 11:44 AM
That's because the 'cc' error is still not resolved. :(

Michael
Jan 18, 2006, 11:51 AM
What's that mean? how does it get resolved and when? /:

Stijn
Jan 18, 2006, 01:06 PM
It means you cannot use the letters CC (right after each other) in a message.

Michael
Jan 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
You just did. d:

n00b
Jan 18, 2006, 04:33 PM
C<_a_>C
Only without the underscores.

Michael
Jan 18, 2006, 09:08 PM
CC....there..

Torkell
Jan 19, 2006, 01:13 AM
IIRC, the trigger is actually 'C','C',' ' in sequence.

White Rabbit
Jan 19, 2006, 03:45 AM
In sequence WITH a space. cc' will work, for example.

CrimiClown
Jan 19, 2006, 06:00 AM
I have found a minor bug, which I find quite disturbing:

If you are away for a moment or if you take too long over typing a post, all messages will be marked Read.

Link
Jan 19, 2006, 06:15 AM

If you are away for a moment or if you take too long over typing a post, all messages will be marked Read.

It has always been like that. The timeout is 15 minutes, I think.

White Rabbit
Jan 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
Is this a bug?

Look at http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/memberlist.php?do=getall&page=3&pp=30&order=desc&sort=joindate
As you can see, users who have never posted have no Search buttons next to their names. But Lovebot, whose posts/threads have all been deleted, still has the Search button next to his name.

Link
Jan 19, 2006, 10:56 AM
What happens if you click it?

A new feature in 3.5 is that deleted posts are now included in the search (before we had to do ridiculous stuff directly with the database). Even though regular members can see deletion notices, maybe they only show up for administrators in searches.

White Rabbit
Jan 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
You get the usual error message: 'Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.'

FQuist
Jan 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
That would seem to be an issue with vBulletin, not our upgrade.

MSB3000
Jan 19, 2006, 01:04 PM
I've noticed an error:

Every time I try to come back to the JCF, I have to re-login.

Monolith
Jan 19, 2006, 09:52 PM

It has always been like that. The timeout is 15 minutes, I think.
I really wish this didn't happen. I have found it quite annoying for some time.

CrimiClown
Jan 20, 2006, 02:17 AM
I really wish this didn't happen. I have found it quite annoying for some time.
And I still think it is. I can't just REMEMBER all the threads I have read and those I haven't. When I'm really reading a good discussion, or if I'm adding a long post myself, I notice this and it gets me annoyed.

Link
Jan 20, 2006, 05:42 AM
Actually, there appears to be a new feature that remedies it. Let's see what happens if I enable it.

LittleFreak
Jan 20, 2006, 06:05 AM
Enabling made everything unread for me. =d

Link
Jan 20, 2006, 06:08 AM
It might cause some annoying behaviour at first. We'll keep it enabled for a few days, and if it turns out to be worse than the alternative it can be changed back.

If you're done with a forum and have no intention of reading any more of the threads, you can mark the whole forum as read. (Click 'Forum Tools' at the top, and 'Mark This Forum Read').

CrimiClown
Jan 20, 2006, 06:11 AM
Yay! Everything is unread. *uses button*

LittleFreak
Jan 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
It's no big deal, as I knew about the button already. ^^

And as the same problem as CC<s></s> had happened to me a few times aswell, I think it's better like this. :)

Violet CLM
Jan 20, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, now it seems to mark topics as unread unless I've clicked on them, even if they're from a while ago.

Link
Jan 20, 2006, 09:59 PM
Threads older than two days (meaning no posts in the last two days) will be automatically marked as read. Threads that have posts within the last two days will be marked as unread until you read them or explicitly mark them as read.

This timeout of 2 days is adjustable&mdash;the default was actually 10.

FQuist
Jan 21, 2006, 04:01 AM
I've noticed an error:

Every time I try to come back to the JCF, I have to re-login.
Do you have cookies enabled?

Bobby aka Dizzy
Jan 21, 2006, 06:37 AM
And have you tried clearing your cookies?

MSB3000
Jan 21, 2006, 07:28 AM
Do you have cookies enabled?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last time I checked.

Which was like, a year ago...

FQuist
Jan 21, 2006, 11:47 AM
Well, check now, I'd say.

FQuist
Jan 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
It looks like there is a bug that causes signatures to be truncated at certain lengths. This may break your signature after an edit. Please avoid editing long signatures until I somehow fix the bug (which has probably been introduced by code edits by me) after a good night's sleep.

Note: this has been fixed now and editing signatures should work as before.

MSB3000
Jan 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
I'll have to live with my problem for now. IE is doing bad things. (YES, I use IE >O )

LittleFreak
Jan 23, 2006, 07:14 AM
Yay. =D

++Canti

FQuist
Jan 30, 2006, 07:43 AM
[17:40:36] &lt;White_Rabbit&gt; Frank, is there any way of enabling forums on the JCF to mark themselves read after a period of time, like it used to be?Does anyone else agree with this?

Sonyk
Jan 30, 2006, 08:04 AM
I'd like for that to happen again, but only after a significant amount of time. Two to three hours, at the very least, enough time to come and check out the forums and read any topics I'm interested in.

Link
Jan 30, 2006, 11:48 AM
White Rabbit and Sonyk's suggestion is exactly the behaviour that we used to have, except with a longer timeout. I definitely prefer the new behaviour, because it means I can come back a day later and still have unread threads marked unread.

Maybe we should make a poll, since people have now had experience with both.

Monolith
Jan 30, 2006, 07:01 PM
A timeout of a few hours would be better than it was before when it was just something like 10 minutes.

I like the way it is now. I don't have to worry at all of losing track of where I was in case I leave the computer for an extended period of time, or take a long time to write a post.

blurredd
Jan 31, 2006, 06:40 PM
I like how it is now as well. I see no harm in keeping it this way.