PDA

View Full Version : Level sizes

Odin
Feb 17, 2006, 06:27 PM
How big does a level have to be before it becomes unsavable (as in, you cannot save in it without access violations)?

EvilMike
Feb 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
It's not as simple as that. Where you are in the level when you save is almost as important as the size of the level. In a lot of huge levels, you can save near the beginning, but not in the middle. I think this is because there is more information for the game to save (pickups collected, enemies killed, triggers, etc). TSF helps a bit but don't rely on it.

Fawriel
Feb 18, 2006, 03:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's not mainly about the size of the level, but the amount of animated events in it.. I once filled an entire level with hurt events, and I think it worked. When I filled it with rocks, I couldn't save it.

EvilMike
Feb 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's not mainly about the size of the level, but the amount of animated events in it.. I once filled an entire level with hurt events, and I think it worked. When I filled it with rocks, I couldn't save it.
Not quite. Rocks, like some other events, require jj2 to save more data. Hurt events are pretty basic since they can't move, or be altered in any way. Rocks on the other hand have numerous properties. The fact that rocks have sprites shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Sprites will only cause problems if your level has so many that jj2 can't load all the frames of animation. This will usually only happen if you use a ton of events that have a lot of frames of animation, for example bosses. And even then, only if you use DIFFERENT bosses, since one event repeated 100 times is really the same as 1 event since they all use the same animations.

White Rabbit
Feb 19, 2006, 02:23 AM
Also, rocks aren't actually animated, if you look at the rock sprite ripped by ICE Man.

UNKNOWNFILE
Feb 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Also, rocks aren't actually animated, if you look at the rock sprite ripped by ICE Man.

Tell me something I don't know. It's seems to be rotated because of the handler that processes the animation. Even the gemring is processed that way.

Odin
Feb 19, 2006, 08:13 AM
Tell me something I don't know. It's seems to be rotated because of the handler that processes the animation. Even the gemring is processed that way.

Relax. I think White Rabbit's comment was directed towards the people that have not gotten their hands dirty in JJ2's code, which is actually quite a few people here.

Stijn
Feb 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
Unknownfile just likes showing off how much he knows about JJ2's internals.

I wonder, does JJ2 use a fixed amount of memory? Because if it doesn't, some levels may run fine on your computer with 512 MB RAM but not on mine with 32 MB :/

White Rabbit
Feb 19, 2006, 08:58 AM
I think it only has maximum and minumum memory usage.

UNKNOWNFILE
Feb 19, 2006, 01:01 PM
I wonder, does JJ2 use a fixed amount of memory?

It does. I can't remember as to where the memory offset resides in the program...

Doubble Dutch
Feb 19, 2006, 06:32 PM

Can someone tell me how the stored gem sprites are converted into the various colors of Gem? I'm curious and don't know nearly enough of the code to figure it out.

Xobim
Feb 20, 2006, 03:04 AM
Do the savegame slots have a maximum amount of free space, or can it be adjusted?