PDA

View Full Version : 404 and forbidden error.....

Michael
Apr 23, 2006, 12:06 PM
The forums have been giving me problems lately, all of J2O actually... but I only use the forums so I'll describe it about them:
After going into the forums and like reading a topic, if I click a link to go back to the list of topics I get this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /jcf/forumdisplay.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.jazz2online.com Port 80

The only way I can is by pressing Back, and then I don't have the 'refreshed' page and won't see if my post has been added, or if the topic been bumped. And then after a few topics with that method, it gives me the error anyway.

NovaStar
Apr 24, 2006, 02:21 PM
That happens to me at home, I've been searching an answer too.

FQuist
Apr 26, 2006, 04:03 AM
Is caching enabled in your browser? I notice that if my cache is turned off I start getting forbidden errors. Same (I thought) with turning off my cookies.

Michael
Apr 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cokoies are enabled, how do I check cache?
thanks.

NovaStar
Apr 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
Caching and cookies enabled and I get it too.

Bobby aka Dizzy
May 3, 2006, 01:58 PM
What browsers are you using and how often does this really happen?

Michael
May 4, 2006, 09:10 AM
Internet Explorer, and if memory serves me correct I am almost sure I still got this when I tried with FireFox.
This happens very often, too often, and often enough for me to over-come lazyness and make a thread about it. As I described:
If I don't want to get the error, I have to use the back button instead of clicking a link to return, and even using back will give me it sometimes.

Link
May 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
The next few times this happens, could you record the exact date and time as well as the URL you were trying to access? We might be able to look at the server logs and see what's going on.

Edit: Never mind, I've looked at the error logs and found you. You're the only person I see getting errors like this. The error is "client denied by server configuration", whatever that means. You're not on any of our own ban lists, so we might have to discuss this with our hosting provider.

Stijn
May 4, 2006, 01:07 PM
Got the same error today. Was gone after a refresh.

Michael
May 4, 2006, 08:28 PM
Different cause then, Stijn, becauae a refresh would only cause or maintain the problem for me (depending if the page loaded and worked or not)....I keep hitting refresh once or twice every minute and after a couple of minutes more or less, the page comes up, and I continue browsing with ym normal trick and with the back button..

Thank you Link, and it happens with any page really, check with the host I guess then... will you keep me posted on it though?

Torkell
May 13, 2006, 03:58 AM
I've recently run into this error myself. It appears that attempting to make a post containing the sequence 'w','g','e','t',' ' anywhere in it will result in a Forbidden error, like the "cc-space" one.

LittleFreak
May 13, 2006, 05:46 AM
wget

*edit*

Works fine for me (no < s > tricks used).

Maybe try it again?

cooba
May 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
wgetYou forgot the space.

WaterRabbit
May 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
w get

Edit: It worked for me too.

cooba
May 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
...the space has to after the wget, not between the letters in it.

LittleFreak
May 14, 2006, 06:29 AM
< stupid

Now it doesn't work for me either.

Speeza
May 17, 2006, 08:34 AM
but how??

Michael
May 23, 2006, 10:10 AM
Still no help?..... where are our moderators? ):

NovaStar
May 26, 2006, 01:22 AM
Happens for me too.

Michael
Jun 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
Is it normal for people not to get support with a forum problem so long?

FQuist
Jun 7, 2006, 10:38 AM
Is it normal for people not to get support with a forum problem so long?
If the problem is not easy to solve / only solvable by a talk with the host, if barely any specifics are known, or a way to reproduce the case, and all administrators are either busy or burnt-out/ill (my case), that might happen, yes.

I also am having a hard trouble understanding what's the matter, you have not explained it very clearly (I do not manage to see what is happening from your descriptions). Does it happen on certain moments/pages/actions, or just randomly, and how often? Etc.

My apologies for the problem being unresolved for so long.

Torkell
Jun 8, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thinking about it, I have an idea as to a possible reason for the problem: overzealous anti-hacker protection. Certainly wget<!-- --> is a commandline http/ftp client from linux thats often used as part of php-based worms and hacks, and it could be that your host took a heavy-handed approach to avoiding one of the php worms that did the rounds (there was one that mangled any site running phpBB). I can't think why cc<!-- --> is blocked, but whatever they're using doesn't care about any characters before the 'c's. Possibly there's an exploit involving it.

FQuist
Jun 8, 2006, 03:30 PM
I think there might be truth to that. (I think you're talking about the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santy">Santy</a> worm, btw).

It seems it's a (small) problem, the wget. and CC. stuff. But is it Michael/Innocent's problem? It seems that it gets triggered very often (?) with them, and not just when entering such a word. ...unless there's something alike triggering this "super-leet lowlevel hacker defense" in some of the queries often sent to the server by their configuration? Like CC., WGET, or a similar term that we don't know of.

Torkell
Jun 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
That'd be the one. Looks like that one doesn't actually use wget, but it's been used in others.

Ah, I've just realised what cc<!-- --> is. It's the default name for the C compiler under Linux. Hmm... I have an idea...

Ah-hah! It looks like they've done this (http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=26406). It *looks* like a good idea, but as we've found has some flaws.

You may be able to edit your .htaccess to disable/relax the rules.

Michael
Jun 10, 2006, 05:21 PM
<s>The problem seems to have fixed itself with time for me, I havn't come across it or managed to reproduce it yet.
Also I am able to update my blog again too, so whatever was causing this was causing that too...
Cheers. d:</s>
I opened my mouth to the devil... just came again after a few pages of smooth browsing (apparantly more than the other times that I complained about the bug), it struck again...
So to answer you Fquist, it's pretty randomly timed, after a few minutes of browsing (or maybe a few pages of browsing).