PDA

View Full Version : Need some design help

ThunderPX
Nov 8, 2006, 08:11 AM
http://t-universe.zapto.org

See that site? I'm revamping it soon. I got some complaints about the colour scheme, so I'm definetely changing it (because when text is the main focus of your site, you don't want it to be hard to read.) The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of colour scheme to go for. I don't usually like extremely light (in colour) layouts, I don't want to go for white.

Radium
Nov 8, 2006, 11:59 AM
The color scheme isn't so bad, though the purple doesn't go well with the otherwise red-green-black scheme. The text would be a bit easier to read if the contrast wasn't so sharp. Like, instead of using white on black, take a page from Maddox and try yellow or gray on black.

The main problem, IMO, is your text size and story layout. The text is way too small, and your story has WAY too few linebreaks. When looking at it, all one sees is a huge, intimidating blur of text. Remember, you want to start a new paragraph whenever you change speakers or subjects. This isn't just a grammatical rule, it more importantly makes stories a lot easier on the eyes and easier to read.

So, move your text size up a couple clicks, run through and add left align and proper paragraphing, and maybe make the words gray and your site will be looking 200% better in no time.

Monolith
Nov 8, 2006, 06:02 PM
I suggest not using magenta.

Sonyk
Nov 8, 2006, 07:05 PM
I second that notion.

ThunderPX
Nov 9, 2006, 07:00 AM
The color scheme isn't so bad, though the purple doesn't go well with the otherwise red-green-black scheme. The text would be a bit easier to read if the contrast wasn't so sharp. Like, instead of using white on black, take a page from Maddox and try yellow or gray on black.

The main problem, IMO, is your text size and story layout. The text is way too small, and your story has WAY too few linebreaks. When looking at it, all one sees is a huge, intimidating blur of text. Remember, you want to start a new paragraph whenever you change speakers or subjects. This isn't just a grammatical rule, it more importantly makes stories a lot easier on the eyes and easier to read.

So, move your text size up a couple clicks, run through and add left align and proper paragraphing, and maybe make the words gray and your site will be looking 200% better in no time.

Ah, that explains a lot. Normally I would've protested against going through every chapter, but I was going to re-read everything and alter some dialogue here and there anyway. Thanks.

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2006, 07:35 AM
table border="0" plz (or atleast use CSS to make it a bit hotter)

ThunderPX
Nov 9, 2006, 09:41 AM
I hate borderless tables, they make everything look confusing. What can I do with CSS to make it look better?

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2006, 09:46 AM
add this to the table-tag for instance:
table style="border: solid 17px; border-color: pink;"
AND I URL HACKED TO GET HERE GG

n0
Nov 9, 2006, 09:50 AM
Uh... Gry, you broke the JCF. I am currently typing this post IN your post.

ThunderPX
Nov 9, 2006, 09:50 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you didn't mean to break the tables. =P

EDIT: Ah, you forgot to close the tag. But I fail to see how dotted pink borders are any better than magenta nav buttons =p

Fawriel
Nov 9, 2006, 09:59 AM
How... impressive.

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry, guys, couldn't find the edit button :/

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
...and I cant edit that one either. It was just an example... :p

ThunderPX
Nov 9, 2006, 10:24 AM
The quote button is somewhere in the CODE table, so the edit button must be there too.

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2006, 10:34 AM
Fixorzed