PDA

View Full Version : JJ Tublear's Knowledge of Time #2

Tubz
Aug 24, 2001, 10:46 AM
Do you know that time is really messed up here on the board. When you hit the reply/topic button the board autmatically records the time that you hit the button. and so when you finish typing your message and you post it. Instead of the board recording the time of you finishing the message and hitting the post button it recorded the time that you started the message/when you hit the topic/post button.

And even more if you live in Europe the day could be wrong as well. And since today is: Friday, August 24, 2001, someone might be posting a topic and reply on Saturday, August 25, 2001. But the board says the topic/post was posted on Friday, August 24, 2001.

But now after realizing it, I think the board posts time by the Atlantic (Canada) Time Zone/Caracaz & La Paz Time. But I live in the United Station: Northeastern Timezone. So right now it's 2:36. And that won't be posted when I click the submit button. Instead it'll drop the hour by 1 hour back. Because the time the board uses is: Atlantic Time (Canada)/Caracaz & La Paz. The Northeastern time zone is 1 hour ahead of the Atlantic Time Zone/Caracz & La Paz.

And lastly the time now is 2:44 p.m., I hit the submit button and drop back 1 hour to 1:44. And drop back minutes to 1:1x from when I started this topic at 2:1x.

And there is the JCF time in several paragraphs. But if you think about it, the time is pretty simple to follow. But JCF how about you make it in the prefrences so we can choose our time zone, ehh?

Oh well wrong forum, ok just move this to Forum Questions and Feedback, thanks.

PidgeotPK

Ice M A N
Aug 24, 2001, 12:43 PM
<strike>quick test</strike>

No.. It's not Atlantic time (That's the timezone where I'm in). It's Central time I think.

EDIT: When I re-read your message, I noticed an error. EST is 1 hour BEHIND AST. I guess this is where your mistake was.

Tubz
Aug 24, 2001, 04:00 PM
Well, I double clicked on my time on my computer. Then I went to time zone and I saw that Atlantic Time is: (GMT -04:00) and my time zone Northeastern USA is: (GMT -05:00). So you guys are 1 hour behind me. I think...

Tubz
Aug 24, 2001, 04:03 PM
And United States: Central Time is 1 hour ahead of me (GMT -06:00). So it must be Atlantic Time. Because the time on this board is 1 hour behind my current time concluding that for me the time is exactly: 8:02 P.M. And the board says I posted this message around 7:00 P.M. The 2 minute difference is because of around when I started this message.

Tubz
Aug 24, 2001, 04:05 PM
Ok sorry guys/girls mistake. When you post stuff the time is recorded at the exact minutes you post the message. Maybe, well at least it is for me. I'm just trying to say when I post the message the Hour, is 1 hour back.

PidgeotPK

/\

Ok look at the above thing. | It says I edited this message on 2001-08-24 correct. But I live in the USA not Great Britain where they put the year, then the month and day. Here in america that date would be writen as 08-24-2001. And the time is in military format. But! I had said in my prefrences that I don't want to use Military Time format. 19:05, is what it says. The board is not tricking you. It still is 7:00 as what the board had said when I posted this message.

Ok so here are some stuff i'd like to ask. Suggestions.

-How about adding a Time Zone chooser to the Preferences.

-How about when saying you don't want Military Time, you don't ever see Military Time.

-And how about selecting the format dates are made. I'd like in USA format. Not Great Britain format please.

But I left something out. You see when I edited this message the date said This Message was edited by: JJ Tublear on 2001-08-24 19:05.

The part in bold was the date. The date format is in Great Britain format and maybe other countries format also. But in the topic area it says: Posted: 7:05pm 8-24-2001. The part in bold is the date again but it's in USA and maybe other countries formats also.

I don't understand. Can someone explain the date thing. This is all I have to say. In case I made a mistake tell me please.

Hareoic
Aug 24, 2001, 04:30 PM
Why is it #2?

Bobby aka Dizzy
Aug 24, 2001, 04:32 PM
Yes, the board is using the date() function. Since the webhost is located in the central time zone everything is recorded in central time. Also it's recorded when you post.

Ice M A N
Aug 24, 2001, 04:57 PM
<strike>useless post after I noticed Bobby's</strike>

Well.. to make this post useful:

(Times are approxiate.. the date function will probably show a couple minutes different since my computer clock isn't set perfectly right)

Right now it's 10:00PM here (In atlantic Canada (except newfoundland))

It's 9:00PM EST

It's 8:00PM Central (Which is what the post should say)

It's 7:00PM in.. um.. Mountain?

It's 6:00PM in pacific..

Etc...

Fquist_old
Aug 25, 2001, 09:23 AM
Actually the military time preferences work.. you just have to be logged in.

Fquist_old
Aug 31, 2001, 09:16 AM
And it'd take a lot of work to make.. it's not like we created this board ourselves.

Tubz
Aug 31, 2001, 10:17 AM
You didn't create the board yourself, then who did help you guys?

$tilettø
Aug 31, 2001, 10:32 AM
u mean phpBB?

The Finn and Some other Defelopers

ppl who use phpBB can add Extra Features

Change things u know the rest

Fquist_old
Aug 31, 2001, 12:04 PM
The board(v1.20) was made by theFinn, bartvb, Nathan, Psotfx, AbelaJohnB and Feingoll I think.. I attributed the folders code.

We changed a lot of things, like how the time is stored in the db, some layouts, the rules, bugfixes.. the move script, and I added some code by other people.