PDA

View Full Version : Future J2O improvements/ideas

cooba
May 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
[[citation needed]]

Birdie
May 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
Add a restriction to the total music size if there is only one level within the zip.

PurpleJazz
May 2, 2007, 09:18 AM
The ability to be able to change your username.

Crazy
May 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
the site is good how it is attention seeker :(:(

PurpleJazz
May 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
Being able to search uploads by their download reccomendations.

cooba
May 4, 2007, 02:19 AM
Being able to search uploads by their download reccomendations.I'm not really sure how would this be helpful, could you elaborate?

FQuist
May 4, 2007, 03:23 AM
I'll assume he means sorting, which would make downloads recommendation more useful

cooba
May 4, 2007, 03:27 AM
Well, seeing as there are lots of uploads with exact 100% or 0% download reccomendations..

FQuist
May 4, 2007, 03:37 AM
It could sort by some algorithm that also takes into account the number of votes, giving a higher value if there are more votes. I suck at those, however.

DarkSonic
May 4, 2007, 10:30 AM
Name changing is a very good idea indeed. I have had the name da man for more than three years now, and it doesn't fit. I could make a new account, but I want to keep the reviews as well. The idea of download recommendation is also good, then you can see if a level is really good or not.

cooba
May 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
I could make a new accountNo you couldn't. It's against the rules, and Purplejazz/FS should have known better.

Sacrush
May 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
No you couldn't. It's against the rules, and Purplejazz/FS should have known better.

Sorry. :(

PurpleJazz
May 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
I've got more ideas:

Being able to upload video clips of the author, to go with the Picture/Voice section.

The author's average rating for all his/her uploads (that have ratings) in his/her profile.

Grytolle
May 30, 2007, 01:30 PM
Move all content to wiki!

sonicnathan 1
May 31, 2007, 07:28 AM
How about an special download area were people can upload beta and Alpha levels for testing?

sonicnathan 1
May 31, 2007, 07:29 AM
And make the download size 5 Mega Bites max

cooba
May 31, 2007, 07:35 AM
And make the download size 5 Mega Bites maxThat's not something which the site admins/coders can adjust.

P¼ul
May 31, 2007, 08:25 AM
Possible notification of new reviews to your downloads by PM

cooba
May 31, 2007, 08:38 AM
Possible notification of new reviews to your downloads by PMPossible notification of new reviews to your downloads by PM or e-mail<!---->

FQuist
Jun 1, 2007, 03:05 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve Rabbitjournal, or make it more visible. Additionally, if anyone has an opinion on it that they might want to share.

cooba
Jun 2, 2007, 06:49 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve RabbitjournalMake people unable to vote for their own posts ;)

Grytolle
Jun 2, 2007, 07:28 AM
That's one vote's difference... And I don't see why you would want to apply such an undemocratic principle, Cooba :(

cooba
Jun 2, 2007, 07:32 AM
For the same reason people may not vote for their reviews and rate their levels, I guess.

Grytolle
Jun 2, 2007, 08:20 AM
Reviews and levels are hardly of as much general interest for the community as a good newsitem in rabbit's journal

cooba
Jun 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
That's beside my point

Grytolle
Jun 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
it's not beside the question at hand though

FQuist
Jun 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
Please be constructive!

ShadeJackrabbit
Jun 3, 2007, 05:19 AM
Separating N/A reviews from comments somehow(?)
I think this is very important. You could add a page of unrated reviews and a page of comment only reviews. You can tell which is which if the author has selected "comments only."

Dermo
Jun 4, 2007, 12:18 PM
These are all dumb ideas.

cooba
Jun 4, 2007, 12:25 PM
These are all dumb ideas.:(!

FQuist
Jun 5, 2007, 03:34 AM
It'd be interesting to hear a more constructive contribution. Why do you think they are dumb? Do you have any ideas you would like J2O to implement?

MoonBlazE
Jun 7, 2007, 03:42 AM
We need a shout box on the main page that only logged in users can use. That way we can show newcomers how nice we are by flaming each other like mad monkies!!!11one - or it could be moderated and it could be used for stuff like "Hey guys, I just uploaded a new level n.n!!!!!!!"

Some roleplay perharps? Some sort of custom character archive where one can add their own characters from their on-line play / level pack stories / etc. This could be linked to profiles. And a small sub forum for roleplaying in the war tavern linked to it also?

A fan art section with all stored jazz jackrabbit art - and only jj art. Our art forum is kinda more for critism than showcase. This shouldn't be part of the downloads section (e.g. no reviews - redirect them to the art forum if they want critism). I have no JJ2 fanart so this an 100% non-biased suggestion. :P Plus that Noogy's site always had a fanart section with some JJ2 art there too. D:

That's it for my COMMUNITY SPIRIT ideas. *turns up Weather Girls - It's Raining Men*

Superjazz
Jun 17, 2007, 03:39 AM
The ability to put titles for reviews. The space could be right after the recommendation-mark at top. You should still hold the other information, maybe rearrange if needed. Of course there should be a reasonable limit for titles, like 40 characters for instance. I could already imagine titles like; "If someone gives this below 9, sue him."

Lark
Jun 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
three separate ratings for each download
one based on just ratings that anyone can choose without reviewing
one based on reviews
and one weighted average (with the ratings from reviews having a bigger influence on the score)

i think that'd be really great
because let's face it, no many people like taking time to write detailed reviews

i for one occasionally download files once in a while, and i'd love to rate them but i just dont have the time to review things anymore.
i'm sure so many people would participate in rating things on j2o if they could give something a rating without a review

cooba
Jun 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
That's a pretty good idea, actually.

Birdie
Jun 20, 2007, 02:10 PM
I really like Lark's idea.

Tik
Sep 5, 2007, 09:08 PM
It would be nice if, after having logged in, you could return to the page you were previously at.

Oh, and Lark's idea is great.

baoerji9527
Dec 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
How to buy UGG sheepskin boots?Everyone who wear the UGG sheepskin boots will get many benefits. UGG boots are made to be worn barefoot as they will form to your feet and provide natural arch support. When buying a pair of sheepskin boots or ugg boots (premier brand in luxury and comfort footwear), there are many things to look for:First of all, you must make sure your sheepskin boots are actually made out of 100% authentic sheep skin. Some manufacturers use cheap substitutes such as gluing synthetic wool on to cow hide. These imitation sheepskin boots come at a cheaper price tag, but unfortunately the less expensive alternatives may cause skin irritations, encourage bacteria growth, wear down, tear quickly and noticeably less comfortable. http://www.shoppingugg.com When buying sheepskin boots, make sure they are manufactured from quality Australian Merino wool. Australian Merino sheepskin boots are considered the best material for making sheepskin boots and it also ensures that you will be able to use them for many years. Authentic wool also allows your feet to breathe and help reduce feet sweating. Merino sheep skin is by and large thicker and much more durable than other kinds of sheep skin, which helps your boots keep their shape as well as resist wear and tear. By purchasing sheepskin boots made from merino wool and sheep skin, you will be guaranteed that not only will they be the most comfortable pair of sheepskin boots you'll ever own, but they will also last for a long time to come. I have included some links if you would like to learn more about sheepskin boots or youwant to know where can buy some UGG Boots - Australia markets the premier brand in luxury and comfort. Their many products fit into your every day life offering you products that are fashionable, comfortable, and attainable.Ugg Boots have been made and worn in Australia/China for over 50 years and "Ugg" is not associated with any brand or style of sheepskin boot. So if your looking for real australian made ugg boots look no further than Shopping Ugg See our full range of Cardy UGG Boots (http://www.shoppingugg.com/cardi-ugg-boots), Classic Short UGG Boots (http://www.shoppingugg.com/classic-short-ugg-boots), Classic Tall UGG Boots (http://www.shoppingugg.com/classic-tall-ugg-boots), Metallic UGG Boots (http://www.shoppingugg.com/metallic-ugg-boots), Sundance UGG Boots and now even new Mini UGG Boots (http://www.shoppingugg.com/mini-ugg-boots)then you can find all the love from australia right here.

plunK
Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
For the forums i think it would be a cool idea to add a high scores forum. I haven't seen one around and ive been wondering about other ppls scores and thought it would be cool

If its made a Layout i think would be good would be

High Scores Forum
Sticky: High Scores Rules

>High scores posting Sub Forum (say what campaign, score, show pic of table)

>High Scores
-Standard Campaign
-Secret Files
-Shareware Demo
-Christmas Chronicles
-Other Campaigns
-General High Scores (from just like screwing about in JCS)

All scores posted will need a screenshot or some other validation of proof(such as a link to download their .j2h)

IF shown how to use the moderating tools and such i would moderate it if necissary.

CrimiClown
Jan 20, 2009, 09:59 AM
Also, there is a topic discussing highscores, but they are not very interesting due to respawning baddies/items. This could give someone with enough time an infinitely high score.

plunK
Jan 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
Ya... Mines like 140,000,000 or so i think

FireSworD
Aug 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
The rating system is useless. Please get rid of it.

Stijn
Aug 27, 2009, 03:14 PM
No.

Seren
Jul 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
Oh, I forgot this thread exists.

I think that in Rabbit Journal there could be a thing similar to that used in forums, like a "new posts" text next to its name. Or at least an exclamation mark, or using a bold/italic font. Same thing with comments to the news in the frontpage.

The number of screenshot for an upload could be based on the number of .j2l files in it, like:
0 : 2 screenshots (in case it's an utility or something)
1-3 : 2 screenshots
4-6 : 3 screenshots
7 and more : 4 screenshots
Or something like this, so there can be more for large packs/episodes and no unneccesary ones for stand-alone levels.

Credits box should be much bigger or deleted. I'm not using it because it's annoyingly small and it's hard to write in it.

Also, there could be a link to that Text Formatting (http://www.jazz2online.com/65/text-formatting/) page from more places. If I want to reach a certain effect in my level description/review, I need to go to the pictures section first to ensure how (btw, there's also no preview option for those).

Stijn
Jul 6, 2010, 10:08 AM
I think that in Rabbit Journal there could be a thing similar to that used in forums, like a "new posts" text next to its name. Or at least an exclamation mark, or using a bold/italic font. Same thing with comments to the news in the frontpage.
That's a nice idea. I'm not sure yet how it would be done from a technical point of view, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

The number of screenshot for an upload could be based on the number of .j2l files in it, like:
0 : 2 screenshots (in case it's an utility or something)
1-3 : 2 screenshots
4-6 : 3 screenshots
7 and more : 4 screenshots
Or something like this, so there can be more for large packs/episodes and no unneccesary ones for stand-alone levels.
I don't see why it'd be necessary to lower the amount of screenshots from 3 to 2 for some uploads. Increasing it would be impractical because it'd require a change in the page layout (3 fits rather nicely now, for 4 the whole box would have to be formatted differently).

Credits box should be much bigger or deleted. I'm not using it because it's annoyingly small and it's hard to write in it.
Only making it bigger would be an option, since a lot of existing uploads do use it. I've thought about some alternate approaches (like it being possible to upload a level under multiple accounts, so no "Ragnarok & DarkSonic" (for example) accounts would be needed either), but there's definitely room for improvement anyway. Not sure what would be the best way to do it though.

Also, there could be a link to that Text Formatting (http://www.jazz2online.com/65/text-formatting/) page from more places. If I want to reach a certain effect in my level description/review, I need to go to the pictures section first to ensure how (btw, there's also no preview option for those).
Good point. A preview option has been requested before, and is definitely on the todo list, but I personally haven't gotten around to doing it yet (maybe, maybe soon...)

Jgke
Jul 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
Ability to delete submitted screenshots.

Stijn
Jul 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
You are already supposed to be able to delete screenshots for your own uploads. Is this broken for you?

Stijn
Jul 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
Speaking of previews, quotation marks/apostrophes are always preceded by backslashes when you preview an ERE article, can you fix it, please?

How did Hitch post a review four days ago when his last visit to J2O was on April 13 (picture (http://i.imgur.com/2nMK7.png))?
"Last Online" date is only updated if you're logged in. You can also review stuff by filling in your username and password in the review form, which allows you to post a review without logging in.

Jgke
Jul 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
You are already supposed to be able to delete screenshots for your own uploads. Is this broken for you?

Well, where this is done?

Seren
Aug 1, 2010, 07:47 AM
It's about the third time when I lost a review with a high HI (this time even featured) just because the author decided to delete his upload. Couldn't something at least prevent reducing the number of those featured ones?

Jgke
Aug 9, 2010, 06:09 AM
I still don't know how to delete submitted screenshots.

Obi1mcd
Aug 10, 2010, 07:14 PM
Would it be possible to have a feature to reply or comment on somebody's reviews? Otherwise the page would get a few unnecessary reviews just talking about others. Take a look at DodgeS' Blizzard. His reply to a few reviews was made into a featured review. It might be a good idea to at least stop somebody from getting a featured review on their own upload.

Seren
Aug 13, 2010, 09:34 AM
Returning to J2O improvements/ideas, I can't delete my own review. I'm not sure if it's planned or it's a bug, but in both cases I find it a bad thing. What appears is "Error! You are not allowed to view this page, sorry.".

Btw, I don't see a way to delete screenshots for my own uploads just as same as Jake (not that I want to delete any, I was just checking if he's right). If such an option exists, its button is probably not very well placed.

Torkell
Aug 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
The discussion about JCF reputation has been split to 18818.

minmay
Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
I suggest removing the option to disable file preview. It has only been used by people who are trying to get more people to download their levels. To everyone who does this: it doesn't work.
I also think the ability to delete your own uploads should be removed; if someone has a legitimate reason to delete an upload (for example, it's an obsolete utility) they can just ask an admin to do it. Right now it's mostly being used by people who delete uploads because they didn't like the reviews they got, which is completely counterproductive.

Toni
Aug 26, 2010, 01:58 AM
I disagree with minmay about disabling file preview.

1) Maybe is a level gimmicky and you can see some secrets on file preview.
2) Maybe it is passworded and author won't let people see how level looks like.
3) I downloaded files what had disabled file preview to see how is that level good/bad.

But on other hand, I agree on disabling "Delete" button because authors are deleting their levels because of low ratings and reviews what they don't like.

Stijn
Aug 26, 2010, 01:59 AM
But I think deleted uploads' pages should remain even if author decided to delete his/her files, this way preserving any reviews/ratings the level got (and the author should be able to re-upload the level - for I'm sure some people delete files in their anger and would later agree with submitted reviews). I'm sure it's terrible having written a long review only to have it deleted by a person who didn't like the marks he or she got.
It wouldn't really be deleting a file if you're not deleting it from the downloads listing, would it? ;)

The problem is that if we disable deleting stuff authors could still just re-upload as an empty file or something. Unless we disable re-uploading too, but I don't think that's a good solution. I agree that it's unfortunate that people can't take low ratings they get and remove their files out of frustration, but there's simply little we can do about that.

As for the file previews, I agree with Hunter here; I think there's some legitimate reasons for not wanting to allow file previews and that authors should be free to choose whether to allow it or not. Personally, I like to use it as a way of checking out whether a level looks interesting enough to download or not, so in my case not allowing a preview would mean a lost download, but it's still the author's choice.

Toni
Aug 26, 2010, 02:03 AM
Maybe limit how much times author can delete his uploads on J2O. For example, he can delete 2 of 5 uploads on J2O. Or even less; 1 of 5 or 1 of 10 :p.

cooba
Aug 26, 2010, 02:11 AM
But I think deleted uploads' pages should remain even if author decided to delete his/her filesJ2O already does this...

Stijn
Aug 26, 2010, 02:12 AM
I really don't think that's what Hunter means.

Violet CLM
Aug 26, 2010, 10:47 AM
What? No, don't remove users' ability to choose whether they want to allow file preview or not. It's <em>their</em> level/tileset.

Dermo
Aug 26, 2010, 09:04 PM
I agree with Unknown Rabbit. Let them delete it if they wish. And let them decide whether it can be previewed or not. I understand where mini is coming from. However, it should be the author's choice. However, if deleting and re-uploading is reported, there should be a recurring penalty for that (maybe first offense, 2 day temp ban?).

Vulcan
Sep 2, 2010, 02:13 PM
The ability to be able to change your username.

Can you please do that?

That would be AWESOME!

plus i hate my username.

Stijn
Sep 2, 2010, 03:07 PM
Well, you know, http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=17457

Speeza
Sep 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Perhaps a report dead/broken link for the links section of the site. I've noticed a lot of dead links.

Speeza
Oct 4, 2010, 06:27 AM
Another thing, maybe its time to update the did you know. Some of the info is outdated. The #JJ2 stats page for instance is dead.

Stijn
Oct 4, 2010, 11:02 AM
Perhaps a report dead/broken link for the links section of the site. I've noticed a lot of dead links.

The link section is practically dead... I think archiving or moving it has been on the todo list for a long time, but we haven't really gotten around to it.

I guess it's time to go through the DYKs again indeed, thanks for reminding us.

Violet CLM
Oct 5, 2010, 08:43 AM
J2O doesn't have a reputation feature. Are you thinking of review ranks?

Seren
Oct 5, 2010, 10:49 AM
I guess that he means the JCF one, and just posted it in a wrong thread because of the reputation's official one being closed. Closing a thread doesn't change people's opinions, it just makes their dissatisfaction less visible. I see no problem means there is no problem.

I personally am getting used to this feature (even though my last 5 repgets - as much as it shows - were all negative), but I believe that I could as well get used to hitting my head with a hammer after some time. I'm not sure why so much people here like their heads being hitted, but well, if that's really neccesary to be an active JCF member then keep hitting mine too. Don't be surprised that some people are stopping their activity though, just because they're weak-headed or scared of hammers.

Also, when hitting my head for this post, please use as original hammer as you can. I kinda agree with Mike in this.

cooba
Oct 5, 2010, 11:10 AM
Are you guys somehow unable to read the thread title, and/or Stijn's closing post in the reputation thread?

Seren
Oct 5, 2010, 11:16 AM
I actually wanted to say only the first sentence and the rest appeared there accidentially.

Stijn
Oct 5, 2010, 01:43 PM
What cooba said. No more posts of delusion please!

Speeza
Oct 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
Here are some things I think could improve Jazz2online, these are my opinions. Please do not take offence as I mean none at all.

I think Jazz2online could still use some updating. I don't mean new features just updating the features it already has.

First of all The party mode section.

I think it would be great if CTF Codes were put here, I know there's an article about it, but as a new player it would be very useful. I'm guessing this section is mainly for new players. So it makes sense.

Basic game-types page of the party mode section, I know it says basic, but why not just list all of the game modes, it does seem like this section hasn't been updated since JJ2+, however it would be helpful too newcomers , explaining how there played etc. The teambattle description is outdated too. Since with plus its no longer the case.

Levels section
This Is just an idea, but perhaps you could create a new page with some of JJ2's best single player packs here, (evil mikes In my opinion being one of them) Perhaps adding a portrait picture in the style of a JJ2 episode saying something like "The best of JJ2 user content" I know this can be done by searching on the downloads section, but I think it would be good if it contained long single players downloads only. Would be convenient for both new and old users. Some people dislike or cannot play online anyway.

Articles
This again isn't really necessary, perhaps just have a fastlink to the different types of articles on the navigation bar.

Links
I still feel strongly about keeping the link section. Some of the links are dead, a report button to report these dead links would be useful. I know some people would be sad to see some of there old favourites go away so there are two idea's I've come up with, Like stijn said Archive the links section , but make a new links section, and start fresh (this time perhaps with a report dead link button) I still think it would be useful for clans especially to keep the links section, Many people could simply browse around to the active clans site interested in perhaps joining up. An option too delete your links would also be very appreciative.

Oh and some minor things. Perhaps rename party mode to online play.
Maybe combine jcs and levels like you did with other.

Once again these are my opinions and ideas and I'm just trying to help.

Dermo
Oct 18, 2010, 04:55 AM
Nice ideas, Speeza!

Also, make "community forums" one link rather than text and a link.

Toni
Oct 18, 2010, 05:29 AM
I agree with you speeza. Everything is okay. Maybe you should put "Awards" and add there everyone who has awards. For example, them http://www.jazz2online.com/news/638/jcs-awards-2009/

Jerrythabest
Oct 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
Nice ideas, Speeza!

Also, make "community forums" one link rather than text and a link.
I think it isn't meant to read "community forums". Forums, downloads, articles, links and 'other' are community parts of the website, while the cateogries left of the word 'community' are about the game (as indicated by the word 'game').

I think another way the website could keep this horizontal menu bar is by placing the 'game' and 'community' parts on two seperate lines. This frees up some space to unfold the (rather ugly) 'other' menu. Also, the website could make better use of the width of modern displays.

As you can see here (http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-200903-201010), hardly anyone still uses 800x600-like resolutions; the most-used is 1024x768, which is quickly losing popularity. In some parts of the world 1024x768 is already no longer the most-used resolution and 800x600 doesn't even have a graph of its own anymore (see the drop-down list at the bottom). So I think it's okay to re-shape the website so it would be 1200 pixels wide, which should be enough to list all site categories in a simple 2-line horizontal bar, without any need to build a difficult-to-navigate sub-sub-submenu system.

Stijn
Oct 18, 2010, 09:59 AM
There's some good ideas in there - a lot of them already covered by the plans announced in http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18588

Which isn't to say that input isn't appreciated, but large structural stranges like mentioned in the past few posts and require a lot of effort to implement, so I'm afraid they won't happen any time soon (as much as I'd personally like to do something about the links section or layout width, for example).

Treylina
Mar 12, 2011, 08:31 AM
Eh, I have no idea exactly where to put this suggestion, but could we please be able to delete our own level reviews (yes I mean on other peoples levels too)? The link is there to delete your own, but it says I can't view this page. Why can't I delete them? It would sure save mods wasting their time, and I have some rather embarrassing reviews I wish I never posted. Maybe it's a bug, but it's well than more about time it was fixed...

Seren
Oct 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
I would be thankful for fixing the "More downloads containing this file" feature, the one at file preview. For at least some months it always results in "There are no matching downloads", no matter what file is chosen.

Stijn
Oct 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
Eh, I have no idea exactly where to put this suggestion, but could we please be able to delete our own level reviews (yes I mean on other peoples levels too)? The link is there to delete your own, but it says I can't view this page. Why can't I delete them? It would sure save mods wasting their time, and I have some rather embarrassing reviews I wish I never posted. Maybe it's a bug, but it's well than more about time it was fixed...
I can't remember whether I fixed this and forgot to put a notice here, but anyway, it seems to no longer be an issue.

I would be thankful for fixing the "More downloads containing this file" feature, the one at file preview. For at least some months it always results in "There are no matching downloads", no matter what file is chosen.
Fixed.

Jerrythabest
Oct 11, 2011, 05:16 AM
On the JCF, in the User CP, on the List Subscriptions (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription) page, the table headers are off. It has been like this for YEARS, I believe it started after an ancient vB update. The 'Thread / Thread starter' column header should be split into two cells since thread starters are listed in a seperate column. This will also correctly align the other headers. The upper and lower rows of the tables (the rows with only one cell in them) should also span one more column.

Also, in the thread listings (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/forumdisplay.php?f=4) elsewhere on the forum, the first column is called 'Thread /', suggesting the same problem was seen there previously and (apart from the slash) was fixed some time ago.

Newspaz
Mar 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
Idea: Write some code to automatically hide the holiday themed background, so it doesn't display when it's nearly April.

PT32
Apr 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
The Poll needs to be updated/fixed/whatevered.

cooba
Apr 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Seeing how the current poll got a whopping 33 votes over 4 months, I'm gonna say it's not worth the effort.

PT32
Apr 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
That's because it hasn't been changed in four months.

Violet CLM
Apr 30, 2012, 04:41 PM
So what you're saying is it would have gotten more votes if it had been up for less time.

PT32
May 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
What I'm saying is that because it's been up for so long, people are probably like, "Duhhhh. They haven't changed the poll in, like, forever. Why bother paying attention to it?"

Maybe if we changed up the polls a little more frequently, like we used to in the olden days, that might grab some more attention.

Just a thought.

CrimiClown
May 2, 2012, 04:20 AM
Well, let's solve this like democrats... With a poll.

Violet CLM
May 2, 2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.jazz2online.com/rabbitJournal/922/its-time-for-a-new-poll/#comments

cooba
May 2, 2012, 11:05 AM
Stijn hasn’t responded to my requests to fix them.Passive agressive much?

Stijn
May 2, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have actually received no requests, as far as I can tell. I am obviously aware of the issue - see this post (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=473289&postcount=83), but I'm incredibly busy at the moment (or rather, I am <em>still</em> incredibly busy), and Jazz2Online is somewhere near the bottom of my priority list if it's not about site-breaking issues.

If anyone else (within reason) wants to give fixing it a try, be my guest.

Seren
Feb 17, 2013, 03:01 PM
I like the new layout of the picture section and how pictures tagged as "jj2meeting" always get displayed on its front page. I request that the same is done to pictures tagged as "1765" or "oman727". I think it would improve J2O. Thanks in advance!

Stijn
Feb 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
A good point of advice, we will take it into consideration

MrAlextov
Jun 12, 2013, 05:44 AM
Remove MSN/Windows Live Messager button, MSN is already dead.

Torkell
Jun 13, 2013, 10:39 AM
Says the person with a MSN link on their profile :p

More seriously, MSN accounts do still work as Skype accounts.

Jerrythabest
Jun 13, 2013, 02:03 PM
In fact they still work as MSN accounts too with a little tweak to Messenger.

MrAlextov
Jul 14, 2013, 07:25 AM
Actually Microsoft plan to stop Windows Live I think.

MrAlextov
Aug 6, 2013, 05:14 AM
A Combo box that you can select the old design from 2002, 2004 and future design.

Treylina
Aug 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
It's probably a better idea to leave plus-only unticked for uploading a level, so newbie uploaders don't leave it there (they likely have no idea what it is). And plus users usually know what features that make a level plus-only. Somehow, the level version specification (for example TSF and plus only) got removed when you go to the page to download. Also, for music-only uploads, can JJ2 version be removed automatically (for remixes)? Also, how about a big warning text this when someone tries to review a plus level, so newbies or unaware players take note that they may not be playing the level the way it's supposed to. A message like this should do;

"WARNING: Reviewing plus only levels when using normal JJ2 is invalid. Don't know what it is? To download and learn about plus, go here: (link)
Did you play this level with JJ2+?
Yes (posts review, and this nag message will no longer be displayed again) No (goes back to download page, and this warning will still appear if you try to review plus only levels again)."

Also, what happened to advanced search? I can only search basic. Also, the instant search bar to the left doesn't work, it takes me to the level search page.

EDIT: Also, how about adding these gamemodes for uploads? Flag Run, Domintation, Jailbreak, Test (you said you added this, though I can't find it at all)

Also, broken important link! http://www.jazz2online.com/113/upload-version/

Stijn
Aug 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
It's probably a better idea to leave plus-only unticked for uploading a level, so newbie uploaders don't leave it there (they likely have no idea what it is). And plus users usually know what features that make a level plus-only. Somehow, the level version specification (for example TSF and plus only) got removed when you go to the page to download. Also, for music-only uploads, can JJ2 version be removed automatically (for remixes)? Also, how about a big warning text this when someone tries to review a plus level, so newbies or unaware players take note that they may not be playing the level the way it's supposed to. A message like this should do;

"WARNING: Reviewing plus only levels when using normal JJ2 is invalid. Don't know what it is? To download and learn about plus, go here: (link)
Did you play this level with JJ2+?
Yes (posts review, and this nag message will no longer be displayed again) No (goes back to download page, and this warning will still appear if you try to review plus only levels again)."

When the field wasn't on by default, everyone forgot to tick it. I'd rather have false positives than false negatives in this case.

As for the nag box, it sounds like a lot of effort for a problem I'm not convinced actually exists. Furthermore, there's plenty of methods for level makers to have a warning message displayed to people not using plus while playing the levels. If someone chooses not to use those, well, their loss.

Also, what happened to advanced search? I can only search basic. Also, the instant search bar to the left doesn't work, it takes me to the level search page.
Don't know. I don't currently have time to look into this.

EDIT: Also, how about adding these gamemodes for uploads? Flag Run, Domintation, Jailbreak, Test (you said you added this, though I can't find it at all)
Yeah, and there's Assault, Last Rabbit Standing, Hide and Seek, and whatnot as well. The "other" category is there for a reason. Unless there's a significant amount of levels with one of those types, I'd suggest using the tag system.

As for Test, I forgot to add it to the selection box on the level upload page. It's included there now.

Also, broken important link! http://www.jazz2online.com/113/upload-version/
Fixed, thanks

cooba
Aug 19, 2013, 02:13 PM
The "other" category is there for a reason."Custom/Concept"

Stijn
Aug 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what I meant

Treylina
Aug 19, 2013, 04:04 PM
As for Test, I forgot to add it to the selection box on the level upload page. It's included there now.

It's still not on the downloads page, though. That's actually what I meant in the first place, though fixing it for the upload page is a good start.

Jerrythabest
Aug 20, 2013, 02:20 AM
"Custom/Concept"

Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead? I sounds a bit weird to me to have some inherently incomplete list of categories while tags provide a more flexible means to achieve the same result.

cooba
Aug 20, 2013, 02:30 AM
Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead?Not gonna happen.

Stijn
Aug 20, 2013, 04:08 AM
It's still not on the downloads page, though. That's actually what I meant in the first place, though fixing it for the upload page is a good start.
Because there's no tests in the database yet, it's not included in the filter. Upload a test and you'll see it appear.

Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead? I sounds a bit weird to me to have some inherently incomplete list of categories while tags provide a more flexible means to achieve the same result.
What cooba said, because:

People will forget to tag their uploads, unless it's required
People will use different tags even if something is the same level type, unless the tags are from a limited pool of allowed tags
In which case we're back to the current system

Jerrythabest
Aug 21, 2013, 12:08 AM
Aye, that's clear. Was just an idea :p

Violet CLM
Aug 21, 2013, 01:23 AM
Right now "Test" and "Conversion" share the same value, 15, in the dropdown box for uploading or reuploading. The rest of the site reads 15 as "Tileset conversion." I've tried submitting the form with a few other (unused) values--16, 12, 13--but only managed to get "Battle," which I suppose is the default case.

Stijn
Aug 22, 2013, 03:14 AM
Fixed

This is what you get when you implement stuff in a hurry :(

Violet CLM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
It's value 16 now, but downloads still appear to revert to Battle when the form is submitted.

Stijn
Aug 26, 2013, 02:00 AM
asdfghj

fixed

Violet CLM
Aug 26, 2013, 02:18 AM
Successful! For reuploading, at any rate. Thanks!

Stijn
Aug 29, 2013, 04:34 AM
I'm not sure what you mean here. I can use the sidebar search to search, and it searches for tag, level name, level type and uploader name. How much more "advanced" do you want it? :P

Toni_
Sep 8, 2013, 01:04 PM
Not sure where to write, but change the Legend icons if you changed icons on download page :)

AvalancheMaster
Sep 11, 2013, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean here. I can use the sidebar search to search, and it searches for tag, level name, level type and uploader name. How much more "advanced" do you want it? :P

Chrome seems to have problems with the advanced search, it just doesn't show up. All I can access is the basic search.

Stijn
Sep 11, 2013, 06:48 AM
Yeah, there isn't really an "advanced search", just that one box (that still searches pretty much everything). I should probably relabel that menu item...

Treylina
Nov 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
I've had a thought that I think the review rating system should require to make a comment as to why you consider the review poor, and perhaps if you consider the review useful as well. Neutral comments on reviews could also be given. I dislike having to make assumptions about why people find my review/s bad. No one likes it when other people jump to conclusions. I would not expect to agree with everyones comments, but at least it may give me a better idea. You could only view comments on your own reviews.

Should it be anonymous? I think the reviewer should be able to reply within those comments, while anonymyty could be preserved.

Also, if new/mediocre reviewers get to find out what to improve on, they might actually be more motivated. Sure, some bad reviews only boil down to lack of detail, but I find a lot less of those appearing lately, so it's no longer the case.

You might be thinking "But why don't they just PM them then?". Because most don't. Also, some may just rate down/up reviews for personal reasons, so with this system, it forces you to give a real reason about why the review is good/bad, reducing personal bias. If the comment is found to be too unsupported/personal, it becomes null (though, that is a content mod's responsiblity).

Stijn
Nov 21, 2013, 02:32 PM
This would probably mean very few people would bother rating reviews, which is definitely the worse option. From what I've seen, review rating tend to match the quality of the review closely enough, usually (as far as I'm concerned).

Treylina
Nov 22, 2013, 08:47 AM
This would probably mean very few people would bother rating reviews, which is definitely the worse option. From what I've seen, review rating tend to match the quality of the review closely enough, usually (as far as I'm concerned).

I write in-depth reviews with a lot of reasoning.... and the quality is still ambivalent.

MrAlextov
Nov 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
Ability to choose theme, the classic one from early days of J2O, the current one or a future my rummored new design.

Treylina
Mar 2, 2014, 12:39 PM
J2O uploads have been getting dodgy again. You know, the 0 bytes upload bug.

Stijn
Mar 5, 2014, 11:28 PM
I didn't have that problem but I fixed some other bugs that may be related so hopefully it's fixed now.

Newspaz
Mar 22, 2014, 06:33 AM
Idea: Write some code to automatically hide the holiday themed background, so it doesn't display when it's nearly April.

I realize this post was downvoted last time. But I genuinely think it was a good idea. I will even volunteer for it if necessary.

Stijn
Mar 22, 2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that shouldn't be hard to do.

KRSplatinum
Apr 22, 2014, 04:51 PM
Just wanted to thank the staff for ex-banning me. I'm treading on thin ice with all the spamming - I'll keep the warnings in mind and express my sincere gratitude for J2O's continued service.

Treylina
Oct 3, 2014, 01:02 PM
How about putting a link to this, at making a RabbitJournal post and comments? I had needed this but it's not in a very convenient place right now (it's only on photo comments, the least likely place you'd ever need this).
http://www.jazz2online.com/65/text-formatting/

Also make it more obvious that it's code. "You can use Textile to apply markup to your comments." Will probably go over people's heads. Most don't know that markup also means code unless you're into computing. Nor do I imagine them to know what textile is. I think "You can improve the look of your post by using code such as textile and BBCode with this guide" is better. Or, if you want something shorter "Click here on how to enhance the appearance of your post" is also good.

Oh, and a preview button for rabbitjournal would be a godsend, since you can't edit it once you post (unless you're an admin/mod, iirc).

Stijn
Oct 3, 2014, 02:05 PM
Textile is terrible. I'd love to switch to Markdown, but it's hard to do so in a way that's compatible with old posts.

Your suggestion is good though and I've added the link. Preview is more of a pipe dream, I don't have time for that at the moment.

Treylina
Oct 3, 2014, 02:19 PM
Oh, when I meant to add it to comments, I meant the level review page. Though putting the link on posting a rabbitjournal entry is a good start.

FragmanZ
Mar 29, 2015, 10:21 AM
Hello everyone and long life the Jazz.
I'm sorry if I write this question in wrong topic.

Who is the owner of Jazz Jackrabbit trademark for now?

cooba
Mar 29, 2015, 10:25 AM
Epic Games.

FragmanZ
Mar 29, 2015, 10:28 AM
Well, thank you. I had an idea to buy rights in bright far far future and now I know, that I must have a lot of money to make my dream come true =)))

Stijn
May 3, 2015, 08:06 AM
https://i.imgur.com/5OjneUr.png

Discuss.

Sean
May 3, 2015, 08:20 AM
Include a download icon, screenshots between the header and the download details?

Stijn
May 3, 2015, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I should've said the screenshots still need to be included somewhere. Probably either above or beneath the download details, indeed. It's very much a quick mockup.

What do you mean with "download icon"; one of those floppy disk images?

Violet CLM
May 3, 2015, 12:31 PM
Honestly my first instinct would be to display a screenshot in all its 640x480 glory and scoot the rest of the design around that.

Stijn
May 3, 2015, 01:50 PM
I thought about that, but I don't want to go off the yellow-boxes look too far (however shitty it looks) because if I do that kind of necessitates a redo of other pages as well to keep things consistent... or of course the download info page could just be an outlier, but I kind of want things to be consistent.

Slaz
May 4, 2015, 03:19 AM
I don't mind the compact thumbnails, as I can see if they would show something of interest and just ask to be clicked. Try putting the screenshots between the Download button and tags list, and I believe the result is at least an improvement over the current layout.

After all, the biggest issue with the current layout, if you ask me, is the relatively obscure download button.

Treylina
May 6, 2015, 02:30 PM
Will you ever be able to restore the side panels? I closed mine (I can't remember why) and I can't reopen them anymore. Also, you should put recent activity there since it's pretty much a hidden link.

Stijn
May 6, 2015, 03:16 PM
Have you tried "Customize" at the bottom of the side bar? Works fine for me, for adding panels.

Treylina
May 6, 2015, 03:37 PM
Clicking it does nothing but let me drag around a useless "Add Panel" window (when I click on it, it does nothing, lets me drag it). I use firefox.

Stijn
May 6, 2015, 03:44 PM
Works fine for me in Firefox as well. There should be list of available panels (i.e. those you haven't added yet) with "Add" buttons, unless you've already activated them all (in which case it should probably display a message saying so...)

For some reason though your panel list as saved in the database was using an outdated format. I updated it, see if that did something.

Treylina
May 6, 2015, 04:50 PM
Yeah, it works now.

Love & Thunder
May 7, 2015, 01:49 AM
My "Add panels" thing was also blank, although I fixed it by closing an open panel.

proud2beamerican
Sep 18, 2015, 08:18 PM
Hello J2O! Don't you guys think that it is a little bit silly to be afraid of new users to the point where you don't even permit them to post a new thread after registration, verification, and posting 2 posts in existing threads?

Violet CLM
Sep 18, 2015, 09:03 PM
Afraid of new users, not so much. Afraid of new users turning out to be spambots, yes.

But you seem pretty human, so welcome aboard!

proud2beamerican
Sep 18, 2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks!

But you seem pretty human, so welcome aboard!

You, on the other hand, seem to be pretty humane ;)

Torkell
Sep 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
As Violet said, it's an anti-spambot measure - we've had issues with them in the past and the current settings seem to work well at filtering them out. That said I thought it was just one post that was needed, though there may be a delay before the forum software updates the account groups.

proud2beamerican
Sep 21, 2015, 12:25 AM
Hey, I really appreciate that the Stealth Admin himself replayed to me! Of course I understand all the problems with spam-bots. I just got a lil bit frustrated after I posted 3 replays in existing threads and still wasn't able to create my own thread. I was able to do so after Violet's appearance.

Blaze The Movie Fan
Dec 14, 2015, 04:11 PM
I think the forum "Future Jazz Jackrabbit games" should change its name to "Canceled Jazz Jackrabbit games" because it's been clear ever since I first join the site in 2001 that Jazz Jackrabbit III isn't happening any time soon.

Stijn
Dec 15, 2015, 01:29 AM
It's also a forum for fan productions.

Treylina
Dec 19, 2015, 02:24 PM
At the screenshots upload page, it says

"...of 200 kilobytes at most."
This is no longer true. You can upload way over that amount. So, what's the new limit?

Blaze The Movie Fan
Jan 9, 2016, 02:58 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/21/the-weapons-of-jazz2/

There is some incorrect information at the weapons page.

According to this page the regular seeker does 1 damage. I can confirm that's not accurate, the accurate one is 2. How do I know this? Well, it's simple. I have to hit tuf turtles two times to kill them, and not 4 times like with the default weapon blaster.

Furthermore I can kill ravens with one hit.

Not sure how much damage the powerup seeker does, I assume it's 3, but I'm not entirely sure.

But yeah, I also have a feeling it's more than just the seeker that has incorrect information.

Violet CLM
Jan 9, 2016, 03:11 PM
The numbers on that page refer to damage done to other players, not damage done to enemies or destructible blocks.

luke11685
Apr 10, 2016, 12:00 PM
I suggest jazz2online to add shoutbox or fusion between skype and irc chat which gives us jazz jackrabbit fans access to discord,new forum skins,custom animated avatars from jazz 1 or jazz 2 for jazz2online users and easier access to private message sections inbox and outbox-not only in normal jazz2online blog section,but also in forum.
Excuse me Stijn could you explain me why my private messages aren't visible?I hope you can read all of them.

Primpy
Apr 12, 2016, 10:15 AM
I suggest jazz2online to add shoutbox or fusion between skype and irc chat which gives us jazz jackrabbit fans access to discord blah blah

I highly doubt this is going to happen. I suggested this before but the idea wasn't received well.

Stijn
Apr 12, 2016, 10:19 AM
Yeah that's not going to happen. Maybe if Discord really takes off and everyone is on there all the time anyway, but at this moment it wouldn't be useful

luke11685
Apr 12, 2016, 10:32 AM
maybe in future?sega forums have list to which user someone sent private message.In here nobody's sure if message is received or not.Any colourful bar of sent messages were send properly like in forum like sega forums.I dislike covered threads of Jazz Jackrabbit fangames.Stijn should explain why he's doing so.

Jelly Jam
Jul 8, 2016, 12:59 AM
A jelly theme for JCF!

EDIT: Okay the above was a lame joke. I'd really like to see more wiki content and/or an ability to edit the content ourselfs, like the Wikipedia itself I guess.

Also, if it happens, will we have the ability to add pictures?

Jelly Jam
Jul 17, 2016, 03:33 AM
Sorry for the doublepost, but I didn't get any answer for the wiki thing. It's been 5 days.

Treylina
Jul 17, 2016, 08:03 AM
Wiki has been down for security reasons for a long time.

If it comes back, I'm more than willing to work on it though.

luke11685
Jul 18, 2016, 01:47 PM
Rest of discord related videogames don't expire of invitations like jazz Jackrabbit 2 related discord server.Not even asking in e-mail about ip location.

Jelly Jam
Jul 25, 2016, 12:35 PM
Oh, one more thing! I have something for the 'Did you know???' thing on J2O which i've known for a year now:

Moving your mouse around while playing increases your FPS.

I'm not sure if that still works, though.

Primpy
Jul 26, 2016, 01:44 AM
Oh, one more thing! I have something for the 'Did you know???' thing on J2O which i've known for a year now:

Moving your mouse around while playing increases your FPS.

I'm not sure if that still works, though.

How does that even work? It doesn't make any sense.

Jelly Jam
Jul 26, 2016, 07:35 AM
Well it was clearly visible while I had Win7 on an old, lowpower computer... JJ2 was very choppy on it, and moving the mouse around (You know, like a circle) and the game seenmed far less chopppy, and the FPS was normal. If you have fast FPS, it will increase just a bit, but still visible (when pressing F9 twice).

froducish
Feb 7, 2019, 12:28 PM
Profile pictures disappear and images don't embed when logged in, is this known?
https://i.imgur.com/OpchyL3.gif

I'd like them to still appear logged in.

Jelly Jam
Feb 17, 2019, 12:26 AM
My updated signature fails to show up. It's been like this for a while now...

buiduchanh99tb
Mar 17, 2019, 04:44 PM
I wonder if this is funny. I began to think that it would not have Trafton and Radium.

luke11685
Mar 18, 2019, 03:37 AM
Images and video links should be previewed for instance just like on YouTube and discord servers. It's just an example of my own not random suggestion in the future.

Ðx
Dec 28, 2019, 08:44 AM
I would like to see a new background image before 2020. Maybe something with more colorz

Kryomaani
May 7, 2021, 08:50 AM
Just a very minor nitpick / bug report: The games in progress link under multiplayer, this one:
https://i.imgur.com/vvqg5me.png
Goes to jazz2online.com/gip/ which no longer exists and should likely point to djazz.se/apps/sgip/ like the link in the text of multiplayer page.