PDA

View Full Version : What tilesets do you want?

Sacrush
May 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
Me and other level makers are getting more and more problems choosing a good tileset for there levels which aren't used many times, that's why I'm starting this thread.

So basically people post ideas about what kind of tilesets they want like, what kind of theme you want to see used in new tilesets and what you want to use it for. This might increase the tilesets that gets made and hopefully more levels will be made too.

What I would like to see:

- What about a destroyed city like the games Call of duty or Gears of war? This is something we haven't seen before and the theme is awesome. Very good for story based levels. Maybe add injured people in it fallen Buildings and the possibility to enter almost destroyed buildings. I know this is a hard theme to do but if some skilled tileset maker uses this I know it would be awesome.

- A tileset which features outside landscape combined with a base. A base which features computers, switches and other things. Would be good for Assault, assassination, CTF and SP.

Violet CLM
May 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
- A tileset which features outside landscape combined with a base. A base which features computers, switches and other things. Would be good for Assault, assassination, CTF and SP.

ET's planets?

cooba
May 4, 2007, 10:33 AM
Perhaps he meant a little more natural landscape than ET's planets feature.

FireSworD
May 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
A good junkyard tileset. Scraparap doesn't cut it, too cartoony.

EDIT: where's soulfire? if I can get permission I'd like to edit one of his sets for the above mentioned purpose.

ShadeJackrabbit
May 4, 2007, 01:34 PM
IDEA: An evil temple in a rainforest.

Hitch
May 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
We need more jungly tilesets. Like Swamps of The Sleeping Jaguar by Agama. It's an awesome tileset, it's just a bit overused it would be awesomeness if we could have another just like Agama's.

TripleJ
May 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
How about futuristic city?

DoubleGJ
May 5, 2007, 12:29 AM
-deep sea base, like in Eartworm Jim or Sonic Advance 3
-music themed tileset (more than just those few elements in Psych)
-toy factory
-airport/spaceport complete with landing sites, waiting rooms, receptions and halls
-nightly floating highway set with circuits, loops and stuff

You guys definately need more creativity.

SPAZ18
May 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see a "Fury of the Furries" tileset. Not all the levels in one set though as that would be over the 1024 tile limit for 1.23.

Xobim
May 5, 2007, 06:23 AM
IIC, there allready is a "Fury of the Furries" tileset.
I'd like an alternative to TOP3.
And what 2xGJ suggested: the spaceport and the underwater base.

SPAZ18
May 5, 2007, 06:56 AM
IIC, there allready is a "Fury of the Furries" tileset.

Where? I searched J2O for it and there wasn't one.

Saphir
May 5, 2007, 09:05 AM
- Some kind of realistic, unexotic forest tileset with trees, animals, ponds maybe.. (most nature tilesets are more towards the exotic end)
- Modern luxury ship? Like, a boat. Not space ship.
- Volcanic. Not hell, but including outside areas with craters, geysers..
- Lava temple. There are a few tilesets resembling this, but no tileset really seems to have this as a theme as far as I can remember (although something like this exists in most games).
- Military - tanks, turrets, rifles, bunkers, etc (turrets that fire at Jazz?)

Neobeo
May 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
A fantasy theme, something like Alice in Wonderland.

Heretic Bunny
May 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
The insides of some giant evil monster's body, or like some crazy place with half photoshop'd pictures from real life and cartoony graphics. Dreamland? Themeparkland? Sprinklerland?

Just shooting out random ideas.

Nonomu198
May 5, 2007, 09:53 AM
A rabbit underground cave! An island! Carpentry shop! Workshop! studio! Inside of a human!....

DoubleGJ
May 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
The insides of some giant evil monster's body,
I actually came up with this long ago and still promise myself to actually draw such a tileset. But nothing really done so far.

Heretic Bunny
May 5, 2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, and has anyone did a sort of Lemmings conversion? I was just looking through my old games and I found an old "Oh No! More Lemmings!" disc, I think lemmings would make a fun tileset, but it definetaly could use a background.

P¼ul
May 5, 2007, 12:49 PM
For all I care, I could use a dark quake1-ish tileset with lots of blood and corpses

<sup>(what?)</sup>

Xobim
May 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
Where? I searched J2O for it and there wasn't one.
Searched it myself and found the download I was looking for. But.
The tileset is very small, and when comparing the grapics with screens from "Fury of the Furries" I'm not sure if it really is a tileset from that game.
Anyway: <a href=http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4152>Linksy</a>

And what this community really needs is a tileset from a brothergame: Hunter Hunted! :D

SPAZ18
May 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
That's TSF only though. Yes, I do have TSF, but it would be good if there was a 1.23 version.

Xobim
May 6, 2007, 02:35 AM
Sorry, but I cannot help you any further. I recommend to download the game somewhere and try to build the tileset yourself by taking screenshots and such...

ThunderPX
May 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
-deep sea base, like in Eartworm Jim or Sonic Advance 3
-music themed tileset (more than just those few elements in Psych)
-toy factory
-airport/spaceport complete with landing sites, waiting rooms, receptions and halls
-nightly floating highway set with circuits, loops and stuff

You guys definately need more creativity.

Can't you just convert all but one of those from Sonic Advance 2 and 3?

FreeFull
May 6, 2007, 03:45 AM
I need an air temple with loads of ice and a giant air-ice god

SPAZ18
May 6, 2007, 04:34 AM
Sorry, but I cannot help you any further. I recommend to download the game somewhere and try to build the tileset yourself by taking screenshots and such...

Uhh.. I tried once but I don't know where to start. DTR is down so I can't refer to that. I'd have to take loads of screens to make my own conversion.
Also, I don't know how to do the Masking bit.

EDIT: I'm sorry to say this, but that tileset was NOT "Fury of the Furries." Here is a screenshot of the game (taken in DOSBox):

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6699/fotftr5.th.png (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fotftr5.png)

Also, is it possible to get the music from the PC version in MOD, .IT or whatever format is usable in JCS?

GoldRabbit
May 6, 2007, 05:44 AM
a city,with pannels like townhouse,and letters,bridges,lamps,streets,cars,rabbits(after all it's jazz jackrabbit),houses and all that needs to a house(only exterior) and a pink textured background.

n00b
May 6, 2007, 06:37 AM
- Military - tanks, turrets, rifles, bunkers, etc (turrets that fire at Jazz?)

This sounds pretty cool, I may try my hand at this over the summer.

ShadeJackrabbit
May 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
I remember an old tileset which had some turret things in it. You could actually shoot through the turret's gun, and would be shielded from most weapons (minus blaster, which you would have to use). I think the level it was used in also had you fighting the devil boss (not Bilsy).

Black Ninja
May 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
We need more scary semi-realistic castle tilesets. Dark ones.

Puffie40
May 7, 2007, 12:45 AM
My needs for a tileset are more in the Details. I tend to lean towards realism when I build levels.

-A space station that LOOKS like a space station. Top Secret III is the closest I have seen to what I want, but I would like something more on the theme.

-a Mine. With mining equipment, ore processing plant, maintenance shops, offices, etc.

-Sawmill. Logyard, lumberyard, processing (Debarker, saw, planer, sorting) offices, maintenance shops.

-Hydroelectric dam

BattleSpaz
May 7, 2007, 05:34 AM
Idea one: Desert with good possibilities to make pyramid/temple. Agamas tileset is superb, but it misses sand, and something to put on sand would be nice too. There could be extra tileset (Or in same) ability to make cool sand storm at desert/temple ruins.

Idea two: Lava cavern with lava. There is quite alot lava cavern tilesets, but many seems to be lacking lava...

Idea three: Ice mountain/canyon with possibility to make snow storm. Not christmas or cartoonish.

Also, idea of underwater base sounds cool.

And all of these could be "serious" tilesets. Many tilesets are too cartoonish... And yes, I know cartoonish is easy to make compared to ÿbêr cöól tileset.

DoubleGJ
May 7, 2007, 07:01 AM
Cartoony is what suits JJ2 best IMHO

White Rabbit
May 7, 2007, 07:20 AM
A Greek/Roman tileset, with matching architecture and ruins.

Violet CLM
May 7, 2007, 09:51 AM
Idea one: Desert with good possibilities to make pyramid/temple. Agamas tileset is superb, but it misses sand, and something to put on sand would be nice too. There could be extra tileset (Or in same) ability to make cool sand storm at desert/temple ruins.
Temple, Deserto, Turtemple, Egypt Light/Cave?

n00b
May 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
And all of these could be "serious" tilesets. Many tilesets are too cartoonish... And yes, I know cartoonish is easy to make compared to ÿbêr cöól tileset.

And then Jazz and Spaz look waaay to out of place. It's not because it's easy it's because it what works best with the characters.

IJskonIJn
May 15, 2007, 11:50 PM
ideas for a tileset conversation:
Haunted house before it was haunted.
Haunted house in the winter.
Holidayhare in the summer.

P¼ul
May 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
Haunted house in the winter.
click here (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4492)

NovaStar
May 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
A frozen dark castle, maybe haunted or something.

Jerrythabest
May 17, 2007, 01:24 AM
I've been working on a Speedy Eggbert tileset a while ago, and I'm planning a transportation tileset with roads, railroads, paths, tunnels and all that kinda stuff but I lack drawing skills. If there's anyone who would like to give it a try, just say it ;p I've got some great ideas already.

Tileset I'd like to see but which I'm defenately not going to plan myself: a mining tileset with all kinds of mining equipment =)

Oh, and maybe a little more better drawn version of "CRAPPY DRAWN TILESET"... I've got a nice Jazz palette edit already (with plain-colored but not fully 'color filled' objects) but I had no inspiration of what the drawing would be about ;p The palette must be somewhere on my HD ;p

.koopa!
May 17, 2007, 02:48 AM
-a Mine. With mining equipment, ore processing plant, maintenance shops, offices, etc.

Tileset I'd like to see but which I'm defenately not going to plan myself: a mining tileset with all kinds of mining equipment =)

Maybe Mining Operation (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1483)?

Jerrythabest
May 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
I've got that one. It's a nice tileset, though I don't think its 'miney' (lol) enaugh... it's too grey (it should be dark brown imo) and has not enaugh objects (like track for the wagons, elevators, safety doors, things like coal and iron ore over the place (not just diamonds) etc etc)

And because of this thread I am working on my Speedy Eggbert tileset again ;p

Puffie40
May 17, 2007, 09:21 PM
I'm with Jerry. It's a good idea, but I want more techincal stuff in it.

Pako
May 18, 2007, 06:21 AM
A New Super Mario Bros. (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indexda3.png) conversion would be great.

AzulAtomDragon
May 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
I once heard someone say they wanted a Nightmare Before Christmas type tileset....

This topic made me think of that. o_o

I'd love to be the one to make it, but....well, let's just say I'm not overly confident in my tileset making skills....>_>;;

But at any rate I've got some ideas too. >.>

-Avenue Q tileset: Would be set in a city area, with the characters from Avenue Q hanging around.

-Fairy Forest: With....fairies. o_o And mushrooms...and other happy trhings. o_O

-Twilight Castle: Like in LoZ, with the orange/black sky and the little black things in the air. In a castle setting! >_>

Ok, I'm done. >.> *flees*

parasadam
May 20, 2007, 02:43 AM
I this there soud be more fruity tileset's(like earthbees)(strawberry tileset) because they are really good in episodes(i think).

Jerrythabest
May 20, 2007, 03:25 AM
Actually, you are right! It would be perfect to make a tileset pack with a strawberry tileset, an orange tileset, a banana tileset, a pear tileset, etc etc =D Each of them would need really bright colors and lots of sunshine and stuff... it would bring some very bright, friendly and tasty levels to the community, something I myself really need after Castle, Tubelectric, Labrat, (*beep*), Hell, Odyssey, Windstorm Fortress, all those space tilesets... after all, it's a bunny game and not some kind of weird 2D wargame ;p

DoubleGJ
May 20, 2007, 05:52 AM
This one should match your idea and is pretty nice.

Jerrythabest
May 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
Add this to my idea: 1.23

parasadam
May 21, 2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks DoubleGJ this isnt so fruity and bright as Earthbees(tileset from episode: Putrid monkey stikes back): http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=332.
I think Jerry is right, JJ2 isnt some kind of weird 2D game with shadow/Dark landscapes.
Are there any Dinosaur tilesets?
Sorry about my mistakes in my previous message.

Off topic: How can you make tilesets(I am qite a n00b still in JJ2 so i dont know there kind of things) and how can you put youre episode in the episode menu?

Birdie
May 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
Episode making is possible, but it isn't recommended as it will crash jj2 if you don't remove another episode to do it, also it isn't worth it just to have a little picture go with some SP level. As for tilesets I would refer you to Disguises Tileset Resource, but it's down right now I think.

Puffie40
May 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
Oh! A Wasteland/fallout-style tileset!

Violet CLM
May 22, 2007, 12:52 AM
Regarding a Dinosaur tileset (parasadam): We are currently pretty much limited to <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/browse.php?userUploadsID=95">Ninja Dodo</a>'s "Lost World" tileset.

Jerrythabest
May 22, 2007, 03:47 AM
Which is a nice tileset IMO...

parasadam
May 22, 2007, 05:31 AM
I tryed to download the ''Lost World'' Tileset but it didn't work.

Birdie
Jun 2, 2007, 07:27 AM
Wow, a spambot! ;\

Violet CLM
Jun 2, 2007, 09:44 AM
Either that or a really off-the-wall tileset idea!

Jerrythabest
Jun 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
Someone should defenately base a tileset on that ;p

NovaStar
Jun 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, the AidenLillian poker tileset.

Puffie40
Jun 3, 2007, 11:09 PM
http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg

SPAZ18
Jun 15, 2007, 12:54 AM
Sorry to bump this but I want to see a BETTER LAYOUT of the Colon tileset as the current layout well.......... SUCKS! :p Tiles are jumbled up all over the place and it's hard to find the tiles you want.
I hate the way the Textured Background is set out.
Is it possible to just split up the tileset so that the town tiles are one section, sewer tiles in another and backgrounds in the final section?
And what about some additional scenery blocks. The ones with the keyhole (Trigger Scenery) are not there.

sonicnathan 1
Jun 15, 2007, 09:07 AM
I agree. 3 of the levels in my new pack are going to be Colon and I need a better layout.

Jerrythabest
Jun 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
IMO you'll just have to learn living with it. It's just annoying to have two tilesets with exactly the same tiles... maybe there should be a Colon +

Ragnarok!
Jun 16, 2007, 01:36 AM
You know, if I knew how to make sets, I would probably go along with half these ideas. ;o

Valco
Jun 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
I require a good sewer tileset for my 2nd levelpack.
I know there's colon, but it has nothing really cool.

If one's already availiable, tell me please.

sonicnathan 1
Jun 17, 2007, 05:56 PM
I would really like to see a good convertion of Decksta. (besides mayhem). I want to use it in a future episode.

Tik
Jun 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
...Inside of a human!....

I can't remember if I'd heard this suggestion before or if I'd thought of it myself, but this was precisely what I entered this thread wanting. I'd love to try my hand at making this myself, but it would probably end up one third finished and I'd be dissatisfied and never touch it again.

In the 'show some levels...' thread I presented a tileset I started making but haven't touched since, but Mike gave me some good suggestions that it could eventually feature a ruined civilisation overrun with nature. I think that might satisfy a handful of the other requests I've read, but I quickly ran out of ideas in making the mechanics of it.

Dermo
Jun 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
MapleStory tileset!

Jerrythabest
Jun 20, 2007, 04:28 AM
Or a tileset with many JJ2 sprites to trick the player... Top secret has some, but I think there could be more sprites in one tileset ;)

Also, maybe I'm going to try to make something with my CRAPY DRAWN TILESET-inspired palette after all...

Dermo
Jun 20, 2007, 03:39 PM
search credits.j2t jerry it's got a few sprites that would confuse some people and with the tileset extractor you could add on to it.

Anyway how about a MapleStory tileset?

AzulAtomDragon
Jun 20, 2007, 05:08 PM
More like MapleStory tileset pack. >_>

I don't think all the current areas would fit in even a TSF tileset...

I just thought of maybe a Kirby Squeak Squad conversion pack thing...that game has some nice looking areas...

Birdie
Jun 20, 2007, 05:13 PM
Or any of the previous Kirby games, but I'm unsure how much variety they would actually offer as a tileset.

Dermo
Jun 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
It sounds good. If a MapleStory tileset pack came out that was any good I would make some exact mimics of some areas. Like try to make a mimic of the beginners area and then make one tileset a world map of maplestory and you walk (as a jazz character) to the map you want. That map would be a new level on a new tileset and it would be an exact mimic of that area in maplestory. That's a project I would like to start. I would disinclude the dungeon, the ellinia trees, and any other secret areas like that. I would also disinclude anywhere past victoria island (IE Orbis). But it would be a fun little level set.

AzulAtomDragon
Jun 22, 2007, 05:34 AM
Well, there was a site that had all the tiles from Maple...but that site is down now. However somewhere on the Internet you can download the tile images...I'll try and find it for you.

And on-topic, I was wandering around Lost Time this morning, and thought a tileset with jigsaw pieces for cave tiles would be pretty neat. Kinda like a JiggyWiggy temple tileset loosely based on the area from Banjo-Tooie? Only having the glowing bits like in Lost Time...

Other areas from Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie would be neat... I would love to see one based on Terrydactaland, or Witchy World.

Yeah....

Dermo
Jun 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
just go into the game and press scroll lock it takes a picture. But I know nothing about tileset building so that wouldn't do me much good to have the maplestory tiles.

AzulAtomDragon
Jun 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
My screenshots save in poor quality....so if I took directly out of a screen it wouldn't look good.
And I know how to make tilesets, it's just that I give up on tilesets I try to make rather easily.....

Anyway, I earlier had this idea that maybe there should be a beach tileset with the interior of a giant sand castle. That would be cool. >_>

Tik
Jun 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
My screenshots save in poor quality....so if I took directly out of a screen it wouldn't look good.
And I know how to make tilesets, it's just that I give up on tilesets I try to make rather easily.....

Anyway, I earlier had this idea that maybe there should be a beach tileset with the interior of a giant sand castle. That would be cool. >_>That would indeed be cool >_>

Valco
Jul 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
I need a pirate ship tileset. NEED. NOW. :p

Jerrythabest
Jul 6, 2007, 04:54 AM
There is a ship in Beach ;p

Though a pirate ship tileset sounds really cool ineed

Valco
Jul 28, 2007, 07:50 AM
Now I'm at the point in my levelpack where my story needs a ship. Hope the tileset doesn't take too long to exist.

Dermo
Jul 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
Well make what happens after you get passed the ship level and come back to the ship level later when you have a ship tileset. The tileset from donkey kong on snes would be cool.

Valco
Jul 28, 2007, 08:15 AM
Maybe. I guess your idea will have to do for now. The ship is used in a lot of levels though!