PDA

View Full Version : Duel Shuttle: New JDC era

Valco
Aug 3, 2007, 06:30 AM
Hello all and welcome to my discussion, suggestion, and informative bloggy thing on my new idea to advance the dueling gametype. It's one of my latest levels in creation: The duel shuttle. Within it people are divided into different groups of two throughout the whole ship, containing 16 total rooms to duel in. I hope that eventually, it will become a very popular JDC level and will revolutionize dueling, making it so much simpler than it already is.
This is where you come in. I need as many ideas as possible to help make the duel shuttle a popular and easy way to duel anyone anytime.

List of CURRENT features:

Fully automated duel selection
16 identical dueling rooms
Anti bouncer and electro blaster walls
A server restart chamber

What I want to implement:

A spectation hall
Choice of who you duel
An outside free for all battle

Suggestions worth mentioning:

None so far

blurredd
Aug 3, 2007, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't think that arranging a duel was that hard to begin with. As nice of an idea as it may seem, it suffers from some serious flaws which will prevent it from becoming popular no matter what tweaks are made. They are the following:

Lack of adequate servers. For this idea to work, a server would have to be capable of handling a lot of clients playing at the same time, which is hard enough to find as it is. And most serious duelers would prefer not to duel with the extra lag caused by other players being in the same server. If fast dedicated servers were readily available, they would be more useful if only two players could play at a time with the hosted level chosen by the participants.
Excessively complicated levels and hosting procedures. Triggers are highly recommended to make sure players can't go into the wrong arena and cause problems. And the trigger system that would be needed (in addition to all the arenas that must be made) can easily make a level become very complicated. But whether or not triggers are used, someone will have to be around to make sure nothing goes wrong. And something going wrong is very likely to happen. This flaw isn't as much of a problem compared to the others if the right precautions are taken, but it still can be a big issue.
No practical way of handling CTF. A quick glance at the Expanded Round Stats on JDC will tell you most duels are played in CTF. There isn't a simple way of making multiple sets of CTF bases work in a single level, and considering the other flaws of this idea, it's not worth the effort.

By the way, servers only allow 15 seperate connections (there can only be more than 16 players in a server if at least one of the connections or the server uses splitscreeners). For this reason, it would be practical to make only 8 arenas.

Valco
Aug 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
Triggers are highly recommended to make sure players can't go into the wrong arena and cause problems. And the trigger system that would be needed (in addition to all the arenas that must be made) can easily make a level become very complicated. But whether or not triggers are used, someone will have to be around to make sure nothing goes wrong. And something going wrong is very likely to happen. This flaw isn't as much of a problem compared to the others if the right precautions are taken, but it still can be a big issue.

That, I won't have to deal with. I can actually automate the whole thing.:p

A quick glance at the Expanded Round Stats on JDC will tell you most duels are played in CTF.

They won't have to be pretty soon. ; )

For this idea to work, a server would have to be capable of handling a lot of clients playing at the same time, which is hard enough to find as it is. And most serious duelers would prefer not to duel with the extra lag caused by other players being in the same server. If fast dedicated servers were readily available, they would be more useful if only two players could play at a time with the hosted level chosen by the participants.

D'oh!

Odin
Aug 3, 2007, 01:45 PM
As far as I understand, this is Tournament mode from Quake 3 Arena in JJ2. In other words, two people fight in the map while everyone else is a spectator.

EvilMike made a server like this a while back. It had the added option of betting coins you collected on the outcome of the duel.

Valco
Aug 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
No. There can be as many as sixteen one on one fights at the same time, and no one HAS to spectate.

You will be able to however, but it will probably be boring.