PDA

View Full Version : Chain Mapping (aka Let's Make a Level)

cooba
Feb 13, 2008, 08:08 AM
It's something I half-nicked from the Quake design community (if anyone from you guys reads this, go easy on me :<!>( SM32 inspired this btw). The general idea is that a group of people creates small bits of a level, which then are put together into one coherent level (which warrants modifying the level sections).

<a href="http://chaos.foxmage.com/cooba/chainmap.htm">More in-depth information</a>

Anyone up to it?

Nonomu198
Feb 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm afraid it will get all CTFbattleplatformtubeFRhomestarhotel. Maybe there should be some coordination or a basic layout for the begining?

Stijn
Feb 13, 2008, 08:39 AM
Like Project (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1376) Forward (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=2229&highlight=Project+Forward)?

Nonomu198
Feb 13, 2008, 09:45 AM
Like Project (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1376) Forward (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=2229&highlight=Project+Forward)?

only BETTER

Odin
Feb 13, 2008, 04:31 PM

Cowy idea!

Also what tileset are we using?

Jimbob
Feb 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
Obviously it hasn't been decided yet. Maybe the tileset could be requested or voted for?

FireSworD
Feb 13, 2008, 09:14 PM
I was just about to revive project forward (I got permission).

This should be fine.

Raven aka StL
Feb 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
I can be in if that's ok with you. I've made quite some progress recently.

Cpp
Feb 14, 2008, 06:30 AM
Ah, I remember participating in project forward. Was fun.

cooba
Feb 14, 2008, 06:34 AM
Like Project (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1376) Forward (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=2229&highlight=Project+Forward)?Close, but not exactly. IIRC, Project Forward was about people adding to a level and improving it in parts. This is different in that all sections are made separately, and merged into one level at the end. That way it will probably go faster and be easier to manage.

Those who feel like doing this: Excellent. If you have any free time sometime soon, I suggest you get worked on your section now and then send it to me or something. As for the tileset, I was thinking Desolation or something. I'm open for suggestions either way. If you have anything that warrants asking then do it here.

n00b
Feb 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm in <s>but we should totally use MEZ04</s>

n0
Feb 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
Can I be put down as a maybe? I've been out of the JCS scene for... years now, and would need a link to Desolation and it would take me quite a while to get back in the groove, but I'd love to take one last good hard whack at JCS before I disappear from the scene forever.

Jimbob
Feb 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
and would need a link to Desolation
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4918

Raven aka StL
Feb 15, 2008, 04:13 AM
I can be in if that's ok with you. I've made quite some progress recently.

:confused: :)

DoubleGJ
Feb 15, 2008, 04:19 AM
interesting

I offer my skills

cooba
Feb 15, 2008, 04:31 AM
Project page <a href="http://chaos.foxmage.com/cooba/chainmap.htm">updated</a>.

Sacrush
Feb 15, 2008, 06:38 AM
Sounds fun. I'm in. (except if you don't want me in.)

Olsen
Feb 16, 2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds fun, and something I have time for... I'll sign up for sure. :)

cooba
Feb 17, 2008, 03:39 AM
Great. With you two (Sacrush and Olsen) added I figure there's enough people to get this started :D

You have a week (until 24th Feb) to finish your section and send it to me. If you feel like you won't make it with your section (assuming you started working on it on an appropiate level), contact me and I'll help out.

The tileset we'll use is Desolation, palette 3 just to be sophisticated. Keep in mind that Desolation can hold 43 animated tiles, which means that you can't use more than 14 in your section. Try to keep it low on animations, too, because if three people hit the 14 animations limit there may be problems ;|

Now go design &gt;:<!>O

Raven aka StL
Feb 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
There's been some changes and I won't be participating (with that deadline). Pardon me for this inconvenience.

Olsen
Feb 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
One question: Are you required to put certain section "enter points" and "exit points"?

Or will the person responsible for glueing the level together have to mix and match stuff? :)

cooba
Feb 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
The latter.

n00b
Feb 18, 2008, 12:26 PM
New question based on answer to previous question: Could you still add enter and exit points if you felt so inclined?

cooba
Feb 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
Sure thing.

Sacrush
Feb 24, 2008, 01:31 AM
I will finish my part on monday (tommorow).
Sorry guys.

Valco
Feb 26, 2008, 06:08 AM
I don't plan on helping with this, seeing as I'm already involved in The Community Episode, but once I finish a cutscene for that, I'll have some free JCS time, so I might help with some later builds.

Puffie40
Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 AM
I don't see how a 64*64 level section in Desolation 03 would bite into my JCS time, so sure put me in.

<strike> besides, i can screw this one up royally and learn the tileset practice for my level set! </strike>

Do we have to wait, like in the community episode, or can we start all at once?

Valco
Feb 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
I guess since I'm done my cutscene for the community episode, I'd like to offer my JCS skills to this cause. No need to reply, I'm already working on my part of the level. Something tells me though that this is going to be one ugly level when it's finished.

cooba
Feb 27, 2008, 10:41 PM
(spelling whoring and the like)Get the (-) out you wannabe troll :|

Puffie: You can start creating the section already.

Odin
Feb 28, 2008, 01:58 AM
I do hope that the level isn't a bunch of random corridors sewn together.

Valco
Feb 28, 2008, 09:38 AM
What'd Cooba just say? Trolls? What? Spelling whoring and the like? I'm confused. I didn't insult his spelling, I wanted to fix an error...

Puffie40
Feb 28, 2008, 10:38 AM
Cool! I'll get started tonight :cool:

I assume the "Compiler" of the level will decide on the game type?

Valco
Feb 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'd say that the game type is a very important detail we're missing out. Even the layout of a treasure level is VERY different from that of a battle or CTF. What if there isn't enough space for gems, or there's no way to make the bases equal?

Puffie40
Feb 29, 2008, 07:37 AM
Got a good start on it last night. it should be done in a few days. Meanwhile, I got some questions.

Are puzzles allowed? Reason I ask is I don't think a puzzle would work in MP... Specifying a game type (Be it Single or Multi) might help in this confusion.

aside from enemies, are there any other event we should exclude? (i.e. Ammo, food etc.)

concerning Trigger scenes:
Should I exlude them? If not, When I submit the level, should I include a list of the IDs used? Seeing that JCS only uses 32 or so IDs, I should limit the triggers?

Valco
Mar 4, 2008, 06:05 AM
Seeing as there can't be enemies, I highly doubt the level will be singleplayer. Still no feedback on what level type it is though...

n00b
Mar 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
I kind of think it is single player or at least a race gametype, since theres no way to make a well done CTF or Battle level by just linking random self contained bits.

If it is SP, think along the lines of Queen of Board where you used your brain and awesome powers of dream logic to progress.

Valco
Mar 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
I think it's VERY unlikely this will turn out to be a race, seeing as most people probably made large areas without "Paths". I still await feedback on me making a level, and I'm not going to do a good job unless Cooba says what gametype we're making anyway. Not as a jerk remark, I mean, how can I make a good race level (Example) if I'm designing one for CTF?

Birdie
Mar 4, 2008, 03:23 PM
Not as a jerk remark, I mean, how can I make a good race level (Example) if I'm designing one for CTF?
Not one person makes all the level, and from what I've read, you aren't making any of it at all.

Bboy Type7
Mar 5, 2008, 10:44 PM
Great project idea. Looks like a collaboration project. I hope it turns out well. Group of mappers working together, nice. I like it. Maybe that'll make level designing much faster and easier. A level making crew hehehe.

Good luck

Valco
Mar 6, 2008, 06:10 AM
Must Birdie pick on me and take everything literally?
"I'm" is an expession as if I were making a level. Notice the (Example) tag. By "Level" I mean the area you work on, which is in level format.

By the way, I'm going to request that I take part in this project again, after being turned down for some reason.

Birdie
Mar 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
I was just pointing out that you aren't on this (http://chaos.foxmage.com/cooba/chainmap.htm) list.

Grytolle
Mar 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
Looks like a collaboration project.I will forward any females looking for sex to you. You're awesome.

Edit: On second thought, I won't, but you're still awesome. I'd say I love you, but I've taken my credibility away by editing that out once, so nevermind!

Edit2: Actually that was third thought

Valco
Mar 6, 2008, 06:05 PM
That's very nice of you Birdie! Thank you, you are SO compassionate! By the way, I'd like to point out your name's Birdie.

n00b
Mar 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
Valco, what Birdie is trying to say is that since you're not really a part of the project it makes no sense for you to be whining about it.

Valco
Mar 7, 2008, 05:36 AM
Many people who aren't a part of the community episode put in their input. I'm trying to be helpful. Besides, cooba only denied me for correcting his spelling anyways. I haven't continued this, and I'm trying to contribute as much as I can as if I were on the list.

cooba
Mar 7, 2008, 08:10 AM
cooba only denied me for correcting his spelling anyways.I denied you for being an annoying prick all over the board, with multiple people telling you to start behaving, more or less politely at times. You, however, choose not to listen, and started being "helpful" again.

The mess you and Xobim have caused in the Community Episode project already made me not want you come in and start spoiling this too. You decided to be a jerk and do nothing but make stupid remarks like "Something tells me though that this is going to be one ugly level when it's finished". If it's going to be one ugly level (after all I'm such a horrible level designer!) then why in the hell are you bothering to do all this.

Stop ruining my project.

Valco
Mar 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
So how will we decide on a gametype?

n00b
Mar 7, 2008, 02:26 PM
I am not speaking as a member of authority (although the tone makes it seem that way), I am merely speaking as someone who is annoyed with that fact that Valco can't grasp something that three people have told him so far. I have rewritten this post several ways, please choose the one you like best:

... I don't think you understand as someone who is not contributing a level portion to the project that there is no "we".

There is a point you're not getting: You're NOT contributing, thus there is NO reason for you to constantly post about the project in ways that don't concern you.

It shouldn't matter to you what gametype it is, since you're not working on it.

Since you're not a member of the project, there is no reason for you to be so invested to the point of disillusionment that you are a member of the project.

Please leave any potential misunderstandings of this project to members of said project. Since they are actually working on said project, they should be the ones to ask if any issues come up.

Hypothetical level makers have no say.

I hope one of these made it clear to you the predicament that you are in and why your post is unwanted by the project starter and is not doing a good job of you being accepted into the project sometime in the future.