PDA

View Full Version : JCS Questions

Foly
Jan 21, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hello,

So far I made one level with JCS and im working on my second one. But i got two questions:

1. How do I add background music (Those from the solo levels).

2. How do I create those animating tiles (When I look to another level it has
animating tiles but I cant find out how to put them there).

And if you got any tips for creating JCS levels please tell them :)

CrimiClown
Jan 21, 2009, 05:19 AM
Hello,

So far I made one level with JCS and im working on my second one. But i got two questions:

1. How do I add background music (Those from the solo levels).
There is a dropdown menu called "Tools" in the top of the screen. Choose "Level Properties". Now you can set things such as the title of the level, the next level setting (very important, if you don't want the game to crash) and a few others, among which is 'Music'. You can use any file that is located in your JJ2 folder that ends with .mod, .it, .xm, .s3m, and if you have JJ2+, .mp3. Also, the original music files (for example, water.j2b or menu.j2b) do not require the .j2b extension for them to work.

2. How do I create those animating tiles (When I look to another level it has
animating tiles but I cant find out how to put them there).
In the animated tile window, select an empty tile. Then, move to the tileset window and hold Control. Now every tile you click will end up in the animation. To access the settings of the animation (for example, speed or 'ping-pong' effect), right-click the selected animation in the animation window.

And if you got any tips for creating JCS levels please tell them :)

Be ever patient, and if you're stuck with something, try using the JCS built-in help file. It really helped me a lot. Also, there's sites like JCSref around, try looking at those too.

Foly
Jan 21, 2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks a lot :D

Levels are much better with music ^^

Camou
Jan 21, 2009, 07:31 AM
This (http://www.ninjadodo.net/htjcs/) is a good site too, for a bit of help with JCS :)

Stijn
Jan 21, 2009, 08:07 AM
this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcsref/) too.

Foly
Jan 22, 2009, 06:41 AM
I've another question:

How do I add text into the Help String? When I try to type text or double click on it it wont work.

Btw: Nice sites

SPAZ18
Jan 22, 2009, 07:09 AM
You do not need to double click the "Help String." Click once in the string you want and it will turn blue. Click on it again and you will then be able to type in the text.

Camou
Jan 22, 2009, 08:34 AM
I've another question:

How do I add text into the Help String? When I try to type text or double click on it it wont work.

Btw: Nice sites

You sort of have to double click but with a short pause between the clicks.

cooba
Jan 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
The failproof way is to click it once with the right button and then with the left.

sonicnathan 1
Jan 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
The way I do it:
1: Click on an empty box
2: Press f2 and start typeing

Troglobite
Jan 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
Unrelated Question that I don't feel like making a new thread for:
Is it possible to use the JCS 1.24 to 1.23 converter program on passworded levels? Of is there another program that could save a conversion without actually opening it in JCS? Or is this somehow illegal, and should not be posted on this forum?

Foly
Jan 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
Beside the question above me I also got some things. It is not all about JCS but I dont think i should create a new topic:

Can someone explain something about these game modes:
- Extended Last Rabit Standing
- Pestilence
- Death Ctf
- Jail Break

I just want to get a little idea how these work and for jail break i want to know how to create it (or a little jb map that shows what events etc needs to be placed).

And one more thing:
- When someone falls down he is stucked at the end of the map. What
event should i place to get him death?

CrimiClown
Jan 24, 2009, 01:08 AM
And one more thing:
- When someone falls down he is stucked at the end of the map. What
event should i place to get him death?
That is a feature that only works with JJ2+. If you have it, try the following:

Place any event in the right bottom corner of the map. Check the Generator box and change the Event parameter in 255. Click okay. Then, re-select the event and uncheck the Generator box. That way, when you fall down, you'll die.

If you have EvilMike's version of JCS.ini, you can just go to Gameplay -> Modifier -> MCE Event. Put that event in the right bottom corner.

About the game modes you mentioned, they're explained in the JJ2+ readme and there might be articles about it in the JJ2 Wiki (Encyclopedia button on the front page of J2O).

Foly
Jan 24, 2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks, it works :D

And I have already searched for the game modes but I couldnt find anything about it in the readme or wikipedia.

cooba
Jan 24, 2009, 03:50 AM
- Extended Last Rabit Standing
- Pestilence
- Death CtfThese don't require a specific map setup and can be played in any Battle/CTF level.

FawFul
Jan 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
Is it possible to use the JCS 1.24 to 1.23 converter program on passworded levels? Of is there another program that could save a conversion without actually opening it in JCS? Or is this somehow illegal, and should not be posted on this forum?

Search for a 1.23 JCS patch on j2o and make a backup. it opens 1.24 levels but it crashes fast.. it is only for saving first, and then open it with ur normal 1.23

oh and btw, it screws up all animated tiles. if you convert your level, you have to redo them.

Troglobite
Jan 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
I have that. But it won't open passworded levels. So I can't save them.

Nonomu198
Jan 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=17672

tag this thread ):<

Stijn
Jan 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/n1ypdu.png

Troglobite
Jan 26, 2009, 07:01 PM
Cool, thanks.

FawFul
Jan 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
Is it possible to use the JCS 1.24 to 1.23 converter program ->on<- passworded levels? Of is there another program that could save a conversion without actually opening it in JCS? Or is this somehow illegal, and should not be posted on this forum?

:(.. i actually thought you needed a convertor FOR levels WITH passwords.. my bad.

Foly
Jan 31, 2009, 12:02 AM
I want to make a tileset, but i dont know what program i need to use...
All jazz jackrabbit 2 tilesets are .j2t but i cant open them.
Anyone can help me? And if there is something i need to know for making a tileset please tell me.

CrimiClown
Jan 31, 2009, 12:58 AM
I want to make a tileset, but i dont know what program i need to use...
All jazz jackrabbit 2 tilesets are .j2t but i cant open them.
Anyone can help me? And if there is something i need to know for making a tileset please tell me.

A tileset file is a file consisting of multiple images. One is the tileset itself, the other is the mask (to point out the parts you can walk on). These two files need to be 256-colour .bmp files, in other words, you can make them in MSPaint if you wanted.

When you have created a tileset and a mask (and not saved to 256-colour yet), you'll need to reduce to colours to 256 and add a pallette. There are handy programs for that on J2O, like TilesetPal and PalSuit.

When you're satisfied with the results (always make backups beforehand), put the two files in the Tiles folder in your JJ2 folder. In JCS, go to the tileset screen and click the [Set...] button. Here, press the option to add a tileset and select the right images. Then, click okay and press "Build" when having your tileset selected (or just press Build All, like I always do).

There are more elaborate tutorials on this, but this is just the nutshell story.

Foly
Feb 1, 2009, 06:36 AM
So what program do i need to open a tileset? I tried paint but that didnt worked.

CrimiClown
Feb 1, 2009, 08:38 AM
So what program do i need to open a tileset? I tried paint but that didnt worked.

Well, that's just it, you can't open a tileset file. It's a coded file containing two files, however, NeoBeo once made a program that is ideal for subtracting those images...

Download it here (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4087)

Feaw
Feb 1, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ehh, I have a question, but don't feel like making a new thread.
Dunno if it has been asked before, but here goes;
How can I get the destruct scenery event to work only for the Pepper Spray and the Electro Blaster?
Just putting in 8 or 9 in the weapon box doesn't work.

Violet CLM
Feb 1, 2009, 07:38 PM
Set SpeedDestr to 1.

Feaw
Feb 1, 2009, 09:33 PM
Set SpeedDestr to 1.

Hey, that works :).
And how can I get them to work only for one of the two, instead of both being able to destroy them?

Violet CLM
Feb 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
For EB, put it behind a wall. For pepper spray, put it at a diagonal angle.

Feaw
Feb 1, 2009, 11:46 PM
Hmm, yeah, and to prevent speed-destroying, just put some wind at the right speed and direction in front of them.

Also, the register page on the main site doesn't work for some reason...

spaztastick
Feb 5, 2009, 02:24 PM
That is a feature that only works with JJ2+. If you have it, try the following:

Place any event in the right bottom corner of the map. Check the Generator box and change the Event parameter in 255. Click okay. Then, re-select the event and uncheck the Generator box. That way, when you fall down, you'll die.

If you have EvilMike's version of JCS.ini, you can just go to Gameplay -> Modifier -> MCE Event. Put that event in the right bottom corner.

About the game modes you mentioned, they're explained in the JJ2+ readme and there might be articles about it in the JJ2 Wiki (Encyclopedia button on the front page of J2O).

There is also a way to do this where you put a CTF flag above the tunnel (team1) and then a sucker speed 0. If that dosnt work put like a bee event under that. I got this from the invasion of deserto levels. (of course you need to have a layer 3 over the pit to cover the CTF bases. )
Dont know why this works, but it does :confused:

CrimiClown
Feb 6, 2009, 03:15 AM
There is also a way to do this where you put a CTF flag above the tunnel (team1) and then a sucker speed 0. If that dosnt work put like a bee event under that. I got this from the invasion of deserto levels. (of course you need to have a layer 3 over the pit to cover the CTF bases. )
Dont know why this works, but it does :confused:
That is the old-fashioned (but still creative) version of the deathpit. It is still in use because it works in 1.23, without using Plus... but since everyone is using plus anyway, people just tend to include the new and improved pit.

FawFul
Feb 6, 2009, 01:18 PM

you can download tileset extractor by Neobeo on J2o, so crimi: IT IS ABLE.
well.. it's not really able to open .j2t but it extracts the j2t to images. <s>i am too lazy to search the link for you so i guess you have to find out and search for it on the j2o search system </s>:cool:

Feaw
Feb 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
I have another question; I made a tileset, both the set and the mask, both are flawless, put both of them as a .bmp in the "tiles" folder, and followed the steps to make the tileset, but when I click "build" it says it cannot find the image of the normal set...
Anyone knows why this happens?

Violet CLM
Feb 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
Are they 256-color .bmp files?

Feaw
Feb 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
Are they 256-color .bmp files?

Yeah, I just recolored an existing tileset, nothing much, I didn't add any colors, only changed them.
Oh, and it doesn't matter that the "event colors" are changed a bit, right? Many tilesets have changed those colors and they work fine...

EDIT: Even when I use an original tileset, unchanged, with set and mask, it gives an error, so I don't think the pictures are the problem...

I have everything on the place JJ2 is installed, so yeah...

EDIT EDIT: It says it cannot open the .bmp file, not find it (if that helps).

FawFul
Feb 8, 2009, 02:06 AM
do you have both files in the map "tiles"? withouth special characters..?

Feaw
Feb 8, 2009, 02:19 AM
do you have both files in the map "tiles"? withouth special characters..?

Yeash, sir!

Troglobite
Feb 8, 2009, 06:10 PM
Did you try using TilesetPal? You shouldn't need it, but it would completely rule out the chance that your computer somehow saved the images as a diffrent format of 256 color, if any other versions of the format exist.

Feaw
Feb 9, 2009, 12:16 AM
Did you try using TilesetPal? You shouldn't need it, but it would completely rule out the chance that your computer somehow saved the images as a diffrent format of 256 color, if any other versions of the format exist.

It works already, except, when using it, the transparent color doesn't work, and the mask doesn't work either. The transparent color just is the same color in the level, except that you can't see through it.
And when I play it, all the colors are messed up :/.
There aren't too many colors, the palette is correct, I used 0, 0, 0 for the mask, and 87, 0, 203 for the transparent color.
The first block works though.

CrimiClown
Feb 9, 2009, 04:30 AM
It works already, except, when using it, the transparent color doesn't work, and the mask doesn't work either. The transparent color just is the same color in the level, except that you can't see through it.
And when I play it, all the colors are messed up :/.
There aren't too many colors, the palette is correct, I used 0, 0, 0 for the mask, and 87, 0, 203 for the transparent color.
The first block works though.

If I am not mistaken, the mask should be ANY colour except RGB 0,0,0 because that is always open/transparent/non-solid. Any other colour will be rendered as mask.

Feaw
Feb 9, 2009, 06:42 AM
If I am not mistaken, the mask should be ANY colour except RGB 0,0,0 because that is always open/transparent/non-solid. Any other colour will be rendered as mask.

Oh? Well, when I used for example Gry's tileset-mask extractor, the mask is the transparent color, and blue. I'll try to do that then. Even 0, 0, 1 orso should work, right?

And what about my other problems?

CrimiClown
Feb 9, 2009, 07:37 AM
Oh? Well, when I used for example Gry's tileset-mask extractor, the mask is the transparent color, and blue. I'll try to do that then. Even 0, 0, 1 orso should work, right?

And what about my other problems?

JCS recognises both 0.0.0 and 'JCS blue" as transparent colours. all other colours will be solid.

Foly
May 22, 2009, 04:26 AM
Another question:

Is there any way to create a switch (trigger) that can open and close something like a door?

Like this:

You hit a switch box and a door or wall will go open, then it respawns and when you hit it again the door wil close (hit can also be stomping).

If there isnt, I would suggest this would be implanted in the new JJ2+.

Ragnarok!
May 22, 2009, 04:33 AM
Switching Trigger Zones? Just put the switch thing on 1.
Unless you mean something else

Foly
May 22, 2009, 04:36 AM
Trigger zones?

The thing i heard about them is they only work for the player, not for every player in the server and i need them to work for every player thats in the server.

CrimiClown
May 22, 2009, 04:48 AM
Trigger zones?

The thing i heard about them is they only work for the player, not for every player in the server and i need them to work for every player thats in the server.

A regenerating Trigger Crate is automaticly trigger 31 (or 0, don't remember), but I don't know if it will reset a trigger scenery like a Trigger Zone does.

Ragnarok!
May 22, 2009, 05:40 AM
Oh, he means global trigger zones. Right, yeah, there's no such thing... yet

FawFul
May 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
there is a switch for Host / client and a switch for red/blue. you just need to place them in the bottom right corner. 1 or 2 tiles next to the Pit event 255. just the trigger zone event itself. rag :P.

<s>and about the trigger zones they work perfectly.. not sure about the resetting aswell when you die. i thought it returns to 0 automatically when you die. but it DOES work.</s>

oh nvm.. you want them to work for all at once..

Foly
May 22, 2009, 08:58 AM
I dont know about the global trigger and what you mean with the switch you explain, but for example:

Block (Scenario 12)

Trigger crate/switch/area/anything (12)

When I stomp on the crate the block should be gone and another crate spawns again (if its not an area). Then if I stomp that crate the block should return.

Or there should be two trigger area's that turn it on/off (for all players in multiplayer).

FawFul
May 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
well let me make things clear for you.. you can't switch triggers to 0 (off) with a trigger crate.

Foly
May 22, 2009, 10:59 PM
And there isnt another thing I can use instead of the crate?

EvilMike
May 22, 2009, 11:04 PM
Global: Affects the whole sever.
Local: Affects only the person who activates the trigger.

Trigger crates can only set triggers to 1 (on). They are global.
Trigger zones can set triggers to 0 (off) or 1 (on), or toggle between them. They are local.

This is an annoying limitation, but there's no real way to get around it.

Foly
May 23, 2009, 03:32 AM
Global: Affects the whole sever.
Local: Affects only the person who activates the trigger.

Trigger crates can only set triggers to 1 (on). They are global.
Trigger zones can set triggers to 0 (off) or 1 (on), or toggle between them. They are local.

This is an annoying limitation, but there's no real way to get around it.

Thanks for explaining. Too bad there isnt a global trigger that can turn on and off.

Ragnarok!
May 23, 2009, 04:05 AM
yet

FawFul
May 23, 2009, 05:03 AM
i am pretty sure event numbers or Area's can be connected with commands like triggers.

Grytolle
May 24, 2009, 02:44 AM
Oh? Well, when I used for example Gry's tileset-mask extractorI'm flattered

Foly
Sep 9, 2009, 08:46 AM
A new question:

Is there any way to let a destuctable/bomb scenary respawn? So that a destructed block goes back so you can destroy it again?

If there is not a way for this is there any way to implent this in my jcs.ini or something else? I really need this :)

Dermo
Sep 9, 2009, 03:28 PM
Could work, considering when playing treasure or whatnot on splitscreen, the blocks automatically respawn, strangely.