PDA

View Full Version : About MCE's and SCE's...

wadledee
Feb 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Community, it has been quite some time. Reason I'm here: I need some rather detailed information on the old secrets and techniques on how to create the so called MCE's and SCE's.

Yes, I've tried Overlord's Stronghold site... Unfortunatly, its down for a long time now...

The MCE's and SCE's I'm really looking for are the ones which spawn the enemies and such.. Turtles, Lizards, any of them! I need to know how to create them because I'm currently trying things out for "monsters" in Karrot Shire, so you have more things to do there!

(yes, we're still working on KS, don't worry ;-) )

DoubleGJ
Feb 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
First of all, have you read these two articles?

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/articles/view.php?articleID=280
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/articles/view.php?articleID=6

I'm no expert but I think these should help a lot.

FawFul
Feb 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
well i know something about letting enemies spawn in MP
first you need a normal MCE to let it atleast "happen" in game.
which is: Numberforpixels|MCE event
Belt right

1.of course it can also go to the left aswell. you should download a Good JCS.ini like Evilmike's JCS.ini on j2o
(not needed but easier to explain)
then you need to search in the gameplay scene and click on the Multicombo event.
fill the labels in, withouth generating. the event you want and any delay. and fill it in the place where the sketch says "MCE event".

2. the numberofpixels means how many pixels the event goes between tiles. for example. a tile in jj2 is 32x32. if you set event 48. which is the exact number between 2 tiles (64:32) (32:2=16) (32+16=48) then you get the event in the middle of those 2 tiles aside of the MCE event. this event must be generated. the delay doesn't affect anything however (the delay in the Multi combo event is the thing jj2's system counts on)

3. place a belt left or right to the direction to the multi combo event.

when you've done this then you're event is done. the meaning of MCE's is to bring it in different sides of width on pixels. but in this form it can also let SP events work in MP.
however. because you chose enemies, there is 1 issue left. and that is that MP doesn't show of the sprites.
you need SOMEWHERE in the level a ambient lightning (don't ask why) with the right sample. in other words. the right settings in a ambient lightning shows of certain event sprites. i don't have a correct list of which sample is needed for which sprite however. you just need some.

4. when you've done this then the event works and everything shows of correct. there is only 1 bug with enemies in MP and that's that the Host can't touch the enemies when in Team 1 (red) which causes a access violation. but karrot shire is treasure/coop mode anyway and most time a dedicated server. so no worries.

(don't blame my (-)(-)(-)(-)ed up english, i typed this very fast)

Violet CLM
Feb 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
Wow... four years ago! I desperately need to write that next article. Most of that is technically correct, but the theory is really lacking, and there's so much more that can be done, much of it intensely useful. Someone give me a deadline somehow.

ETA: Oh, I should make this post actually be helpful. <a href="http://users.telenet.be/pyromanus/JJ2/Ambient%20Sounds.htm">Have a list!</a>

plunK
Feb 11, 2009, 02:06 PM
what is that a list for?

I know some MCE"s need sound triggers.......maybe thats related

Violet CLM
Feb 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
you need SOMEWHERE in the level a ambient lightning (don't ask why) with the right sample. in other words. the right settings in a ambient lightning shows of certain event sprites. i don't have a correct list of which sample is needed for which sprite however. you just need some.
Post directly above mine.

Stijn
Feb 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
Someone give me a deadline somehow.

February 23?

blurredd
Feb 11, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hey Violet, remember that MCE trick with the regenerating crate? I forgot how to do it. So February 23 or sooner!

plunK
Feb 11, 2009, 07:42 PM
Post directly above mine.

How can i get some of the ones listed that have no event number working, particularly Tweedle, the springord and the menu sprites.

FUN FACT: open Neobeo's Sprite Dyanimate...... they are in the same order as the ambient sound triggers

Violet CLM
Feb 11, 2009, 09:53 PM
What do you mean, "how can you get"? They'll be loaded into the game's sprite memory, and you'll be able to look at them with that one program that modified the sprite used by a fish, but JSD's better, and you won't be able to actually <i>use</i> Tweedle/springcord/whatever for anything. (Not that there's any incontrovertible reason to believe that that's the springcord, but hey, whatever.)

Blur: of course! There's so much neat stuff that can be done. I'll definitely get some stuff down in a day or two.

wadledee
Feb 12, 2009, 06:08 AM
Cool, thanks for the information allready. It's really long ago I've been using these... I hope this could make my idea's come true in KS.

Sure, get us some more nice, juicy info before february 23th ;-)

Violet CLM
Feb 16, 2009, 01:17 PM
...have you tried pronouncing 23th?

Anyway, I'll need some beta readers. (I got carried away in writing the article and it now ends by telling you how to make regenerating bomb crates which contain regenerating smoke rings. Why...?)

cooba
Feb 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
I like betas!

plunK
Feb 16, 2009, 06:24 PM
i am totally up for beta reading i love playing around with MCE's and such

FawFul
Feb 17, 2009, 02:00 AM
Hey Violet, remember that MCE trick with the regenerating crate? I forgot how to do it. So February 23 or sooner!

does that mean you can let respawn 1 up crates / carrot crates and those special crates with extra events in it?

Violet CLM
Feb 17, 2009, 09:42 AM
Definitely.

(Hey folks, it's March 15th! I managed to send the piece out to the beta readers by February 23rd, and from there Cooba gave me around now as a secondary, <i>publication</i> deadline, but it looks like I'll be missing that one. Midterms! Now it's spring break and I'll be away from the internet for a while, so don't hold your horses, but hopefully it'll be worth it someday. Believe!)

FawFul
Feb 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
that r some funny kont shize :o