PDA

View Full Version : IP Hosting

TomMK
Sep 11, 2001, 01:02 PM
Not many people were very helpful when i asked if i could have the jj2 list server program and told me to go use IP addresses, so i'm going to. But i had an idea to make entering my games easier. On the Games in Progress page on J2O you run/save a file called gip.j2i. The file, when opened in Notepad, reads: 123.45.67.89:10052 (but that ip address changes for each host) So i was wondering, since my IP address is always changing, if i put a DNS name in there, like: myname.idlegames.com:10052., would that work? Then all i have to do is give the link out to my friends in an MSN Messenger chat room, and they all run it and enter my game.

Any suggestions on whether this would work or not before i go sign up a DNS name would be very helpful

Thankyou

TomMK

Monolith
Sep 11, 2001, 04:52 PM
You could do that with the DNS2go service. For example: if I have my server running, and suppose the lists are down, you can connect to me by using monolith.idlegames.com no matter what my IP is.

Personally, I think that it might be more effort on your part that it's worth, than if you just give out your IP when you need to.