PDA

View Full Version : Level + Tileset Challenge

FireSworD
Jun 7, 2009, 11:26 PM
As we (or most) of us know, a level is pretty much determined by the tileset. Completely in the aspect of eyecandy, but not so much with gameplay. The gameplay is also dependent on the set to some extent. So the idea is for a team of willing participants to design a set specifically for a level. I'm not sure exactly how this is going to work out, considering everyone has varying abilities, and ways they want to do things.

Anyone is welcome to participate; I trust that the ones interested have good judgement, and know how to get along.

I am not really thinking of a complex or realistic drawing style for the set. I am thinking of something simple, yet fun to make and good looking (blade's style for example), but not so cartoony that it feels 'kiddy'. In fact, if we could do something similar to gothic cathedral, or even townhouse, then I'm all for it.

I think it's best to plan out the design of the level first, because it's the level determining the tileset, not the other way around. I think I'll probably organize/lead this challenge, since I already have some idea of what I want to make, and I'm pretty confident in how it should go. If things are still going well, then there's no need for me to do much, and I'll just go along.

There's the benefit of specializing tiles for the level, or the level can be made wholly of specialized tiles.

Thoughts on this? - Anyone interested?

This is not a contest. This is a challenge for a team of people to build a level and its tileset from scratch. This may seem obvious, but some people seem to not get this. o.O

CrimiClown
Jun 8, 2009, 01:43 AM
... despite my lack of graphics skills, I'd be willing to make a level and tileset... just hope this works out.

Troglobite
Jun 8, 2009, 10:56 AM
It's an interesting idea. There are definitely a few tilesets like that already out there (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=175), which were built for one and only one level. But if you have a great idea for a level, you could probably do something impressive here. I'll be happy to help out.

FireSworD
Jun 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I was aware of those, and I was thinking of stuff like that. To be more specific, I was thinking more of making levels like (ofcourse not exactly) those in this hoax topic (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=12632). I wouldn't mind seeing a level like the cave with the machinery. We can make a level suited to a particular gametype, as we could make a set really good for an assault level for example.

plunK
Jun 9, 2009, 06:00 PM
Seeing as my last few dozen atttempts at a tilset failed, maybe i can make the perfect map witha new one!

Dont expect miracles. Heck, dont even expect usability.

I do have an idea in mind though.

PurpleJazz
Jul 1, 2009, 03:57 AM
This is a really great proposal for the future of JCS. Self-made tilesets around a certain level will allow aspiring level designers to truly let their creativity run wild, by taking away the limitations of the tileset they choose to use for their levels. By creating own tiles rather than resistricting themselves to the possibilities of a pre-prepared tileset, people have the freedom to "whatever the heck they want". We could be seeing truly creative and wacky ideas being born, allowing for original looks going beyond fancy use of Layer 4 tiles in the background. Plus, like FS already mentioned, tiles can made designed specifically to work around a concept in an individual level, allowing for yet even more possibilities.

I'm basically saying I approve of this 100%, and will be willing to help out with this project in any way possible.