PDA

View Full Version : Contest Judging

plunK
Aug 1, 2009, 01:37 PM
SO. For the contest results, I did the results based on my opinion and those of the people who helped me test the maps. I may not be the best at deciding, but i did what i thought was best. Apparently several people disagree with my results.

So in other words, ill keep who i thought the winner was, but I'll let you guys also decide who you think should have won, and they will get the prize as well.

Put down your top 5 below(or pm if that pleases you more) , with the ranks, and i'll tally the scores reflectively
(1pt for 5th, 3 for 4th, 6 for 3rd, 10 for 2nd, 15 for 1st)

Don't vote for your self in first.
I'll tally below.
Download here: http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5602
And then Ae's but the link is gone?

Choices:
(poll ends friday, feel free to change votes if your opinion changes)

1st: Dodges - Beta Carrotine (189pts)
2nd: PurpleJazz - Gorda (169pts)
3rd: Firesword - Hypercube(145pts)
4th: Ragnarok - Sucky Level (112pts)
5th: FawFul - WOOP (99pts)
6th: Snooze - Depressionary Round (72pts)
7th: Cooba - Drought (55pts)
8th: Hitch - Knights of Eve (49pts)
9th: Quickz - Tube-Tastic (41pts)
10th: Darksonic - Crepuscular Caves (26pts)
11th: Enigma - Project Pez (20pts)
12th: AE - Mushroom Surprise (16pts)
13th: Sp4zzer - Cramped Spaceship (7pts)
14th: DJazz - Falling Space (6pts)
15th: Troglobite - RockPaperScissors (4pts)
16th: Olsen - SFL >9000 (2pts)
N/A: Foly - You're in Space
N/A: DJazz - Acid Factory

Ragnarok!
Aug 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'll mail you my votes.

Enigma
Aug 1, 2009, 02:04 PM
Everyone realises I was only kidding with my ludicrous comment about demanding a recount, right? ;-;

plunK
Aug 1, 2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah.....It was actually like 5+ other people

snzspeed
Aug 1, 2009, 02:18 PM
1. Hypercube
2. Sucky Level
3. Drought
4. Gorda
5. Tube tastic

FireSworD
Aug 1, 2009, 02:21 PM
1. Sucky Level
2. Gorda
3. Tube Tastic
4. Depressionary Round
5. Beta Carotine

Just going on first impressions, not to say I wouldn't vote for levels like Drought or Crepuscular Caves.

DarkSonic
Aug 1, 2009, 02:21 PM
1. FireSworD - Hypercube
2. PurpleJazz - Gorda
3. cooba - Drought
4. Snooze - Depressionary Round
5. Ragnarok - Sucky Level

PurpleJazz
Aug 1, 2009, 02:23 PM
1. Hypercube
2. Sucky Level
3. Depressionary Round
4. Drought
5. Tube Tastic

Hitch
Aug 1, 2009, 03:14 PM
<s>1. Crepuscular Caves - DarkSonic
2. WOOP -FawFul
3. Sucky Level - Ragnarok
4. Hypercube -FireSworD
5. Gorda -PurpleJazz

..Sniff sniff, I smell basied votes.. not mine :l</s> ..changed

Sasik
Aug 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
1. Mushroom Surprise
2. HyperCube
3. Tube-Tastic
4. BetaCarotene
5. Cramped Spaceship

Just because.

FireSworD
Aug 1, 2009, 03:28 PM
..Sniff sniff, I smell basied votes.. not mine :l

This is just my opinion, but I didn't like the bottom area or the carrot concept. It was a solid, nice looking level though.

Enigma
Aug 1, 2009, 03:30 PM
1. Gorda
2. Sucky level
3. Tube Tastic
4. Drought
5. Depressionary Round

If you disagree, blame Rag, he made me vote.

Olsen
Aug 1, 2009, 05:50 PM
my 1 minute layout 10 minute eyecandy level gets all the praise it deserves, and that makes me happy tbh :D

I wont vote though, I don't feel that I have the required knowledge of online jj2 play

Troglobite
Aug 1, 2009, 08:06 PM
I believe you already know my opinion in this matter, plunK.

cooba
Aug 2, 2009, 01:03 AM
<s>1. Sucky Level
5. Project Pez</s>

Napo-Leon
Aug 2, 2009, 04:16 AM
1. DodgeS - Beta Carotine {betacarotine.j2l}
2. PurpleJazz - Gorda
3. Quickz - Tube-Tastic
4. Hitch - Knights of Eve
5. FawFul - WOO

Bluespaz7
Aug 2, 2009, 04:17 AM
1. Gorda
2. Drought
3. Knights of Eve
4. WOOP
5. Beta Carotene

EDIT: Changed vote.

Angie
Aug 2, 2009, 12:52 PM
1. WOOP
2. Beta Carotene
3. Gorda
4. Depressionary Round
5. Hypercube

Galana
Aug 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've mailed you my votes.

Raven aka StL
Aug 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
The levels could've been made into a pack in the "rotssctf01, rotssctf02..." -sense, for easier reviewing, but little does that matter.
Also, Dodges' level's filename was listed wrong.

As for what I think:

1. Tube-Tastic!
2. Betacarotene
3. Sucky Level
4. Hypercube
5. Drought

Gorda deserves an honorary mention as the 2nd-best looking entry, peace.

cooba
Aug 3, 2009, 12:22 PM
2nd: Dodges - Beta Carrotine (85pts)hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Raven aka StL
Aug 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
It's very funny that the entry with the best gameplay AND the best eyecandy isn't 1st after a dozen votes, but that's just how this corrupt world works these days.

Yes yes, it's a question of opinion... not. It is actually quite clear after playing each level for 5 mintues to a half-hour.

Napo-Leon
Aug 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
mmmm i changed my vote... switching pj with hitch... since i think hitch's lvl quite a good one :D :*.... also imo making both bases near eachother makes the area very campy (@ pj's) well pj has gr8 ec anyways

1. DodgeS - Beta Carotine {betacarotine.j2l}
2. Hitch - Knights of Eve
3. Quickz - Tube-Tastic
4. PurpleJazz - Gorda
5. FawFul - WOO

plunK
Aug 3, 2009, 02:25 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ironically, Dodges was winning until he voted. He voted gorda #1, which pushed it up over his

Anubis
Aug 3, 2009, 02:56 PM
1. WOOP
2. Hypercube
3. Beta carrotine

<3 Angie for placing WOOP as number 1!

cooba
Aug 4, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ragnarok says (21:21): .......they're still being voted high
Ragnarok says (21:21): By the likes of eachother and napo
Ragnarok says (21:21): Psh
cooba says (21:21): honestly
cooba says (21:21): i'm not bummed that i'm not winning
cooba says (21:21): i'm bummed because bad levels are winning
Ragnarok says (21:21): you're bummed at WHAT is winning
Ragnarok says (21:21): exactl
cooba says (21:21): exactly
Ragnarok says (21:22): Honestly I would much rather Hypercube would beat these
cooba says (21:22): i'd rather just make it so only the contestants can vote
cooba says (21:22): why the (-) can louis or galana or whoever-the-hell vote?
Ragnarok says (21:23): They know nothing on level design
cooba says (21:23): mwa dod xD
cooba says (21:23): <3 angie lol
Ragnarok says (21:23): :/

Ragnarok says (21:30): Although I dont really wanna make a big deal out of it
Ragnarok says (21:31): I just think its rediculous what's winning ;s

DodgeS
Aug 4, 2009, 11:35 AM
:**

FawFul
Aug 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
if people can comment maps on how they look and how they feel (playablity) for the players theirselfs. why wouldn't they be able to vote on maps which they found the outmost fun?. maybe you stick too much on 'design' rules instead on how you look how much fun you can have in parcticulair maps ;). you don't need to be a leveldesigner for this, stop thinking you are rule-ing everything.

Vegito
Aug 4, 2009, 11:59 AM
You don't need to rate this like a J2O rating, people just rate it 'for fun' .. you could have expected this obviously. Some people think Dodges level is fun, apparently.

cooba
Aug 4, 2009, 12:04 PM
maybe you stick too much on 'design' rules instead on how you look how much fun you can have in parcticulair mapsIf it makes you feel better, I didn't find woop or that carrotus level fun at all...

But I digress. I had fun making my own little crappy level, and that's it. Whether you had fun playing it is "not my problem", sort of. Not sure if you had fun playing the other levels, but what can I do! I'm not the kind of guy who tries hard to be liked by everyone, unlike others...

*goes back into JCS*

FawFul
Aug 4, 2009, 12:09 PM
If it makes you feel better, I didn't find woop or that carrotus level fun at all...

But I digress. I had fun making my own little crappy level, and that's it. Whether you had fun playing it is "not my problem", sort of. Not sure if you had fun playing the other levels, but what can I do! I'm not the kind of guy who tries hard to be liked by everyone, unlike others...

*goes back into JCS*

no, we obviously make levels so that people hate it.

plunK
Aug 4, 2009, 12:37 PM
If it makes you feel better, I didn't find woop or that carrotus level fun at all...

*goes back into JCS*

1- When did anyone ever say drought was crappy.....
2- If its not fun then dont play it, its that simple, and we'll all go and have fun, because in our opinion, they are fun

no, we obviously make levels so that people hate it.

with the exception of my Zeal Server Lolz map.... =P

cooba
Aug 4, 2009, 12:44 PM
1- When did anyone ever say drought was crappyI did, because quite frankly it was a lazy and rushed attempt, and when compared to my other JCS work, it just blows.2- If its not fun then dont play it, its that simpleI don't play levels that I don't find fun - it's that simple.

plunK
Aug 4, 2009, 01:26 PM
I did, because quite frankly it was a lazy and rushed attempt, and when compared to my other JCS work, it just blows.

If it blows, I am sure thats exactly why you said this:

(8/1/2009 3:08:16 PM)
cooba says: do you even know what gameplay means?
(8/1/2009 3:08:32 PM)
cooba says: my and rags level were like the only good ones on earth

Raven aka StL
Aug 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hehe, I might not understand too much about level-designing, but I damn sure understand what makes a level good and what, bad.
Dodges' level is fun to play although it is cramped in places... as are the others.
It also sports the best or second best eyecandy overall, out of all the contest entries.

Furthermore, you shouldn't go judging people just because their opinions differ from yours.

plunK
Aug 4, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hehe, I might not understand too much about level-designing, but I damn sure understand what makes a level good and what, bad.
Dodges' level is fun to play although it is cramped in places... as are the others.
It also sports the best or second best eyecandy overall, out of all the contest entries.

Furthermore, you shouldn't go judging people just because their opinions differ from yours.

I 100% agree

Enigma
Aug 5, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well, you did call the people who didn't vote for what you liked corrupt ;-;

-WarrioR-
Aug 5, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hai.

1. Gorda
2. Hypercube
3. Sucky Level
4. Drought
5. Betacarotene

Olsen
Aug 5, 2009, 10:35 AM
how the (-)(-)(-)(-)s can I have gained any points at all? lol

Superjazz
Aug 5, 2009, 10:38 AM
1. Gorda
2. Hypercube
3. Depressionary Round
4. Sucky Level
5. Drought

cooba
Aug 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
1. Sucky Level
2. Gorda
3. Depressionary Round
4. Hypercube
5. Project Pez

Superjazz
Aug 5, 2009, 12:20 PM
What I've noticed is that some people are certainly too used to open levels with a lot of space to hop around. 'Indoor' levels have usually more like a Love It/Hate It gameplay, rather than something everyone would like equally. I myself don't have any problems moving smoothly in a level as long as passages have at least 2 tiles of width, and the level isn't entirely tunnely. A good example of this is Atom Heart, which is apparently disliked by people who are generally clumsy in maneuvering. I didn't plan it to have a 'closed' feeling, I just created it to a scale it felt fine with. Besides, like Gry once said, you are more unlikely to get airhit in Indoor-levels, right? Isn't that quite a good thing?

Another thing that matters me(although a bit offtopic), is the overall amount of intolerance towards pits. I myself consider the pits a nice add of fun to gameplay when they are put in reasonably. I don't find myself falling into pits very often, and I don't get why falling a couple of times or even once for example in a short round of AYCR would annoy people. As well, some old players that are good in maneuvering, somehow seem to have major problems with pits also.

I totally disagree about the point that DodgeS' level would be bad/cramped/awfully flowed/crowded. I think especially the flow-part is nowadays overrated. A player doesn't sometimes need even one single jump to move smoothly around the level. Such blandness offers zero interest in terms of gameplay for me, since there's absolutely no challenge to master a level. DodgeS' level is a quite decent level(for it's size because the contest of course). It's just that it doesn't contain anything special for me. As well, there were a lot of other decent entries this time, so that's why it didn't get my vote, in case some people are wondering.

Also, a scoring system like this can very well work in a F1 Grand Prix, but a contest like this it feels a bit silly, since contestants don't receive their scores in real-time. If I were to held it myself, I would count all votes either equally, or 5-4-3-2-1.

Raven aka StL
Aug 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well, you did call the people who didn't vote for what you liked corrupt ;-;

Way to misunderstand it. :|

Ragnarok!
Aug 5, 2009, 01:00 PM
I just wanted to say; if this wasn't a CTF contest, Trog's level deserved the win hands down.

Quickz
Aug 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
1. Depressionary Road
2. Hypercube
3. Drought
4. Beta Carotine
5. SFL >9000

Also, I suggest people who only vote for f.e. 3 levels to count it as 3-5 instead of 1-3.
Anyway, whatever.

Edit: Oh, right.. 3 comes after 2, lol.

Troglobite
Aug 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
I just wanted to say; if this wasn't a CTF contest, Trog's level deserved the win hands down.

Ha, thanks. I'm fine with my level finishing low in this contest. It was fun making use of those crates and seeing if the concept was actually possible.

<s> I'll be content knowing it will beat semi as most played level next JDC and RPS will probably become the most frequently hosted gamemode for Jazz in general. </s>

Raven aka StL
Aug 6, 2009, 01:40 AM
Trog's level was certainly quite creative, but it also didn't work.

plunK
Aug 6, 2009, 08:24 AM
Also, a scoring system like this can very well work in a F1 Grand Prix, but a contest like this it feels a bit silly, since contestants don't receive their scores in real-time. If I were to held it myself, I would count all votes either equally, or 5-4-3-2-1.

Well I originally started the 15-10-6-3-1 system to add bigger scaling for 1st place votes. Hitch earlier proposed the 5-4-3-2-1 idea. I implemented it and because the 15-10-6-3-1 is sclaed properly, it actually made no difference in any of the places, it had an identical placing list.

Trog's was quite creative and nifty, but i think people were afraid to vote it in this because its not the traditional "CTF" style, and it only supports 2 players.

Local multiplayer works fine, but online play was quite tedious when we tested it. After a few tries we got it working fully and it was quite fun. I think if he expanded the level size to make for more functionality, this could fix several problems.

SPAZ18
Aug 6, 2009, 09:16 AM
1. Hypercube
2. Gorda
3. Beta-Carotene
4. Sucky Level
5. Depressionary Round

Troglobite
Aug 6, 2009, 03:21 PM

I did notice when hosting online some crates disappeared and in case of bad lag, people could miss the other player smashing the crate preventing people from scoring when they should. Hosting with the most recent version of plus seemed to help a bit, as did a very fast connection. And I've never seen it work incorrectly when played locally.

Eigus
Aug 7, 2009, 01:19 AM
haven't played those much, but from first impressions:

1. Gorda
2. Hypercube
3. Depressionary Round
4. Sucky Level
5. Drought

Obi Wan
Aug 7, 2009, 04:54 AM
1. Beta Carrotine
2. WOOP
3. Cramped Spaceship
4. Depressionary Round
5. Project Pez

FireSworD
Aug 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
Just a crazy suggestion, but maybe the top 5 levels could have a spot on zeal server? - At least maybe have one level hosted at a time to be replaced by another in the future?

It seems there are quite a few interesting levels here, and the people seem to really care about the results of this. Ofcourse that also makes the number 1 spot less special but whatever.

Raven aka StL
Aug 8, 2009, 04:13 AM
And I've never seen it work incorrectly when played locally.

Ofc, the only thing that matters is how it plays online.
I tried to play it with a good connection etc and paper kept beating scissors etc.
It's a clever idea for a level, though.

plunK
Aug 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
Poll is closed. Dodges won (again)

Just a crazy suggestion, but maybe the top 5 levels could have a spot on zeal server? - At least maybe have one level hosted at a time to be replaced by another in the future?

It seems there are quite a few interesting levels here, and the people seem to really care about the results of this. Ofcourse that also makes the number 1 spot less special but whatever.

I'll consider this. 2nd will be included for sure seeing as Dodges won again, i'll consider that idea of doing more.

plunK
Aug 9, 2009, 11:33 AM
Beta Carotene and Gorda now hold spots on Zeal Alpha