PDA

View Full Version : Epic releases Unreal Development Kit

cooba
Nov 6, 2009, 06:06 AM
http://www.udk.com/

Unreal® Development Kit is the free version of the award-winning Unreal® Engine 3, the software development framework used to create computer and video games, 3D simulations, TV shows, films and more (see www.unrealtechnology.com for UE3 details).

Anyone can download UDK and work with the same game development tools used to create blockbuster games, architectural walkthroughs and digital movies. UDK ships with the latest version of the Unreal® Editor, with its unrivaled content creation toolset and rapid prototyping functionality.

UDK is free for noncommercial and educational use. Licensing terms are available to those who wish to sell UDK-powered games or to create commercial products or services for business use at www.udk.com/licensing.

How long till another "Let's make our own JJ3" call? This time it wouldn't be completely groundless...

HorvatM
Nov 6, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, we still couldn't use resources from the JJ3 beta, because those are copyrighted as well.

cooba
Nov 6, 2009, 07:50 AM
It's not like they were extremely good in the first place... and that's not what this topic is about.

Hammer
Nov 6, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thats nice, too bad the sprites and stuff are copyrighted... *sigh*

Sonyk
Nov 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
...the point cooba is trying to make is that now we could build our own JJ3 from the ground up and have a suitable engine to use and distribute it in, regardless of where we pull the assets from or whether we make it 2D or 3D or whatever. The fact that the assets from previous games are owned by Epic is irrelevant since we wouldn't be using those, and Epic owning the characters doesn't really matter since we wouldn't be selling it.

Xenophon
Nov 6, 2009, 09:34 PM
"Although WTG wants to release the demo, and Cliff Bleszinski (the owner of Jazz) has talked about distributing the game for free on the Internet, right now it is unlikely that we'll see Jazz 3 anytime soon. Before it could be released, the demo would have to be reprogrammed to eliminate the Unreal technology, or else WTG would be paying Epic a hefty $300,000 for use of their engine. It would take a great deal of time to do the reprogramming, and WTG is not interested in working on it right now. They are tied up with other projects, and working on Jazz 3 does not make them any money, so it has the least priority. There's a better possibility that Jazz 3 may be released as an Unreal or UT mod."

Technically, now that they are releasing the kit, can't work on Jazz 3 be continued or started over by Cliff Bleszinski? (With the exception that he won't be making any money off of it.)

If he were to do this, and make it not be "Jazz 3" But rather a Jazz project, he could generate some much needed heat into the franchise. Yes, we don't really like lame spinoffs (Sonic Riders durrhurr), but from what i've seen of the demo of JJ3 it would be a nice game to be added to the catalog without becoming Jazz Jackrabbit for the game boy advance. (Sorry but that game was just way off target.)

Remember the music from the old Jazz's? Remember the FEELING of playing these games as a young kid? Remember the FEELING of playing Holiday Hare during the holidays? I do, and I remember it moreso than most games from my childhood.

When the Shareware age died out, we seemingly lost a great deal of quality games. Nowadays, games don't really stand out much. Yes, Gears of War is a pretty, pretty game. But look around at the gaming world now, see a trend? Games are focusing more and more about one upping eachother, then they are about the quality of the games they put out. I mean, how many first person shooters with RPG elements are they going to come out with?

I don't mean to rant, but my point is this. I grew up with Jazz Jackrabbit, I love it, still to this day, and I think if done right it could be introduced to a whole new generation of kids.

Rememeber the shareware age? When you could play distributed games/demos without paying for them? Because I hear epic games just released UDK.

Sonyk
Nov 7, 2009, 03:34 AM
It would be highly unlikely that Cliff would be working on anything related to Jazz Jackrabbit, given that Cubes of Meat at War seems to sell upwards of a million guaranteed, and a Jazz Jackrabbit project would be a failure saleswise and a waste of his time.

KRSplat
Nov 7, 2009, 09:32 AM
We all remember the shareware age and the feeling of playing Jazz Jackrabbit. This is a Jazz Jackrabbit forum. We still play Jazz Jackrabbit. (We're the only ones.)

JustRob
Nov 7, 2009, 10:58 AM
For Gods sakes, give me a break. Cliffy B. alone isn't gonna cut it. He didn't make Jazz 1 and 2 alone. And just look how Jazz Advance turned out, the fanbase isn't gonna survive another horror like that.

I get your point, Xeno. I too, still love these games to heart even today. Playing Medivo in Jazz 1 gives me a warm feeling. The music is epic.

At any rate, if another Jazz game was to be made, there are two options; it's an official game, or it's a fan game.

If it's an official game, Cliffy B. would probably be interested in it (if it can make him money), but Dean Doodrill would absolutely have to make a comeback, his cinematics were awesome, and just look at how awesome he does at his current project, Elysian Tail. Arjan Brussee could come back for the programming (so we can have a dutch touch in it, hehe), and Alexander Brandon could do the music. More or less, the original Jazz 2 team back together, they can produce another masterpiece like that, and not some other guys who were told to make a game about a rabbit in space and came up with a cheap Star Wars ripoff.

If it's a fangame, everything is available. UDK can be used for 3D, or the Jazz 2 engine, or a whole new engine, can be used for 2D. I mean, if UDK is used, you shouldn't have to pay for use of the Unreal engine as long as you don't sell it. Distributing for free should be fine.

I think a new official game is rather unlikely, and a fan game requires extreme motivation and passion, because it's not gonna earn anyone money.

plunK
Nov 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
On G4TV and other interviews even after the production of Gears Of War Cliffy expressed he would still be interested in a New Jazz Game.

Also. Despite him being interested, he stils wants some cash. If he was truly into Jazz because he liked it, he probably would have paid for them to release the JJ3 Beta

I think this UDK opens the doors to a Jazz Fangame. The thing is, knowing some of the devoted Jazz fans around here, it would likely turn into a half decent fan game because wed put time and effort into it.

JustRob
Nov 10, 2009, 12:46 AM
Dean Dodrill also said he would love to come back as animator for a new Jazz, not too long ago. It seems everyone would like a new Jazz game, but nobody wants to fund it

Jerrythabest
Nov 10, 2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe if we turn it into a bank the government will give us a few billion [currency]?

plunK
Nov 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe if we turn it into a bank the government will give us a few billion [currency]?

hahahahahaha. Sadly the recession seems to be pretty much over (not like anyone around here actually noticed)

Slaz
Nov 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
What if a new Jazz was developed with little to no funding in mind, and then shown to Epic for approval? Somewhat in a way WTG did, but then it would be a fan project turned official thanks to UDK. I mean, if people want to commercially distribute a non-profit project created with UDK, they'd have to pay a hefty licensing fee as well.

In terms of licensing we may have an advantage, Epic holds the rights to Unreal Engine AND Jazz Jackrabbit.

Jerrythabest
Nov 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
you mean: we first find someone to make JJ3 for free, and then try to make money off it by allowing Epic to sell it? Or something like that?

Sonyk
Nov 13, 2009, 05:16 PM
Epic would probably be adverse to putting it out as a true retail release, but some sort of smaller scale digital release might be in the cards. What with the rumblings of a JJ1 port for iPhone and XBLA a while back, I wouldn't be surprised if something wasn't at least brought up for consideration.

JustRob
Nov 14, 2009, 07:03 AM
Epic would probably be interested, but the issue that killed JJ3 remains: Who is going to publish it? It needs to have a good chance of selling well, otherwise nobody will pick it up.

Slaz
Nov 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
you mean: we first find someone to make JJ3 for free, and then try to make money off it by allowing Epic to sell it? Or something like that?

Kinda. I meant to point out that some random past developers had used their free time to work on their games. So that cool games could see the light of day with 'little to no funding' concerns. Not that this is likely to help the future of Jazz in any way, but it is possible.

And I thought Epic was interested in the idea of bringing Jazz to something like XBLA, and would talk about it with their new studio chAIR.

Oh and in other news, community member Becky appears to be working on an XBLA version of Duke Nukem Manhattan Project (http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:ghtXnqmL7nEJ:community.910cmx.com/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D343%26view%3Dnew+%22Duke+N ukem+Manhattan+Project+XBLA&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a). She also did Jazz2 for Mac and is familiar with the Jazz community. Could she be of any help for an XBLA Jazz release or anything?

Stijn
Nov 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
Well, "community member"... This is the Becky that ported JJ2 to the Mac (which was just paid, professional work, not something she did as a fan), I don't think she's been active after that.

jjjon123
Nov 19, 2009, 04:35 PM
I mean, how many first person shooters with RPG elements are they going to come out with?

Team fortress 2...

Valeriy
Dec 24, 2009, 11:43 AM
Technically, now that they are releasing the kit, can't work on Jazz 3 be continued or started over by Cliff Bleszinski? (With the exception that he won't be making any money off of it.)
Wait.

Why Cliff? Epic Games could start the development over again because they probably still keep all rights on Jazz Jackrabbit and they obviously have all rights on Unreal Engine. If they are not working on new Jazz game, they are not interested :(

Also, about UDK usage, as was stated above - community can make something UDK-based, still it will be copyrighted by Epic. A mediocre project can buy a licence, but sine Jazz is copyrighted by Epic too, fan-game can't have an official status without Epic permission. The only chance is to win a Make Something Unreal award, but it's too late to think about it (at the moment of UDK release this year's MSUC already was close to final; it's unknown when is the next one). It's not hard, though it requires serious work on project.

Necropost power