PDA

View Full Version : JJnet Duel Tournament v2.0 Level Contest

Superjazz
Jun 1, 2010, 09:35 AM
As the JJnet Duel Tournament v1.0 was successful after all, I'm planning to hold a v2.0 on the upcoming Summer/Fall, starting from August. I'm aiming to make it an even bigger tournament than last time, target being a total of 48 players. Of course there would be a very much different mappool than previously. The mappool used in the first edition got criticized as it included some levels that weren't after all very duel-suitable. I picked levels by the popularity- and tradition-factors rather than size- and gameplay-factors. I have learned from this by focusing on the latter in the future.

I have a mappool planned pretty far for the next tournament, but it's not complete yet. To find some variety, and due to the lack of good duel-levels in this game and community, I am challenging you to a duel-level creation contest. The best 1-3 maps(depending on the amount of decent entries submitted) of the contest would be added to the final tournament mappool. Now here you have a chance to affect. Also I will be looking for 1-3 referees/judges to judge the entries at the end of the contest. The more entries, the more I need points of view to make proper conclusions.

Here are some questions that might possibly come to your mind in the first place.

Q: If I take part in this contest, am I allowed to take part in the upcoming tournament?
A: Yes. It does not matter does your entry make it to the mappool or not, you are still allowed to play, and of course play in your own map in the tournament. Same applies to referees.

Q: Can I be both a participant and a referee?
A: No you cannot. It would be probably wise to be patient with your decision. I don't pick the referee(s) by who signed up fastest, so you can consider if you feel more like creating a level until the deadline. If you didn't end up participating, you can still nominee yourself as a referee for me. Some requirements for referees are long experience and knowledge of level creation, and of course at least some reviewing-experience.

Q: If another contest pops up, am I allowed to take part with the same entry?
A: Yes, you are allowed to take part in any other contests there may appear during the same period(which is unlikely though), as long as it's fine for the other contest's holder.

Q: Am I allowed to submit more than one entry? Also am I allowed to collaborate with somebody else?
A: Only one entry from one person. Collaborations are allowed without limitations of people taking part in the collab. However a collab counts as 1 total entry for each person in it, no matter how big percentage he/she helped.

Now some rules and advices about the actual contest here:

Level type must be CTF. No other game types are accepted.
The level must be playable in 1.23. Lori support isn't required.
Use only MP-start positions for your level.
Your level must be fresh. Any 'official' levels(meaning that they were submitted somewhere for public use, for example J2o before) are not accepted. Anything that was uploaded to public before this date (June 1st) cannot be submitted to this contest. I suggest you to build a level for this contest from blank, but you are also allowed to use an unfinished level which you(not another person) started earlier, or a finished, but private level of yours.
Level editions are not allowed.
There is no exact size-limit for the level since the playable area and flow is what matters. Single-screen CTFs aren't appreciated, nor are XL-sizes that have potential of making the game crash.
Try to keep as much focus on the gameplay as possible. Remember that you are creating a level that fits 1on1-matches in the first place. The other match-types are unimportant. Try to keep things simple yet don't make it too linear. Also try to keep the level fast-paced enough, but avoid making it too chaotic and random.
Both symmetric and non-symmetric levels are accepted, as long as there is a good balance between blue and red sides. Neither team mustn't have any major advantages over another.
Also some small gimmicks and originality are nice bonus, but not a requirement. Your level can be simply just decent, as long as it doesn't directly rip-off any other existing levels. Also gimmick-only levels such as 'Mulch', 'Malch', etc. aren't appreciated.
Try to keep the level good-looking enough so that it looks interesting for players new to it. The eyecandy however shouldn't distract a player too much, nor should it cover too much of the play-area.
Don't fill up the level with useless pick-ups. Have a good variety of ammo perhaps. Just default Bouncer and Toaster might make the level dull even if the design would be good. Consider what ammo are good especially in your level. You are allowed to put in food, but not in excessive amounts. Coins and coin-warps are allowed, but keep in mind that there shouldn't be any outlying bonus-rooms where a player can hide for ages without any chance of getting roasted.
Avoid making the level too campy in overall. Small dead ends don't matter, but bigger ones might be annoying. Give players enough of choice during movement. Don't make players too reliable on some events such as copters when trying to reach some certain area.
Tileset choice doesn't matter as long as the tileset doesn't have a very ugly or confusing palette.
Some players also still listen to the game-music itself(like me mostly), so it might be a good idea to use a fitting music-track for the level to keep the player interested. At least don't pick a too distracting music-track. The track can be an already used one.

With that in mind, you are now ready to take part in the contest. The deadline is set to August 1st, 2010, 22:00 GDT, so you have exactly two months to create your entry-level. You don't have to separately sign up for this contest, although I don't mind it. Important is that when you're done with your entry, you pack your level+tileset+music into an archive and either upload to J2O or another similar place, or send me via E-Mail (Vivando[At]luukku[dot]com).

Remember that I probably won't accept any rushed entries which are made in just a couple of hours. Put effort on designing the level and think about the advices I mentioned above.

Once the deadline has been reached, I make my decision about the referees/judges and aim to start the tournament a week after that with the final mappool combined. If you have any more questions related to this topic or contest, feel free to ask them here or via private messages.

FireSworD
Jun 1, 2010, 10:45 PM
So I wasn't planning on making multiplayer levels for jj2 again, but this contest motivated me and I have an almost finished level for this.

EvilMike
Jun 1, 2010, 11:12 PM
I've been playing around with making 1vs1 ctf levels lately. All of them are gimmick levels (I've hosted a few of them), but I suppose I could make one that is normal. Or at least, normal compared to the other ones. I still reserve the right to do something stupid. It will just be a smaller kind of stupid, which people can have an easier time accepting.

All I need to find is a tileset to use.

Superjazz
Jun 2, 2010, 05:58 AM
Sounds good. I don't expect there's going to be a lot of entries, but if there are even 7-9 in the end, that's already very good.

Toni
Jun 3, 2010, 09:40 AM
Well, I am trying to make a pack with 5-6 levels, but they're not CTF/Battle or anything else what was playing in JJ2 all this years. That levels are DeathRun Levels. I won't talk anything about them yet until I finish them (at least 1 of them), but I have started one CTF level some days ago, and I will try to finish it soon. Just 1 thing what is not clear to me... does the level needs to be small one or it can be 150x70. (I can see in your post, Viv, that level size is not matter, but that levelsize for 1v1 is not maybe good, I mean... maybe matches can take too much time and finish with 0-0)

Superjazz
Jun 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
The level size shouldn't be anything really big. 150x70 sounds like a typical 2vs2 or 3vs3 level size, and it makes a total of 10500 tiles. For example BBLair has got a size of 128x66 and is already slightly too big for duels, although the gameplay helps there(2 carrots and warps as shortcuts.) I would suggest not to exceed the limit of 8000 tiles total. That way your level should end up small enough, depending on how open it will be. Most importantly, don't divide the level into floors in a similar way like Security Breach v2(which is much more a level for teamgames anyway), as that gives players chance to freeze a game entirely.

Seren
Jun 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have absolutely no expirience in making CTFs, but since level contests are quite rare now, I'll try anyway. And since it should be a duel level, I will be even able to betatest it myself. Don't expect to see it though, it'll probably suck too much to send it.

EvilMike
Jun 3, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm posting this to the front page of j2o so more people see it.

Superjazz
Jun 4, 2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks. That helps.

Toni
Jun 4, 2010, 12:10 AM
well I will try to re-size my level because it is not finished yet... just started :)

Jgke
Jun 4, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hmm. Just finished a level, and it seems to be quite good.

FawFul
Jun 4, 2010, 10:32 PM
I'm in, and i guess BBlair feels big because all the masked paths are small and thin.

FireSworD
Jun 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
I'm in, and i guess BBlair feels big because all the masked paths are small and thin.

What do you all honestly think of this level making style?

PurpleJazz
Jun 4, 2010, 11:08 PM
What do you all honestly think of this level making style?

The design does have merits, as it allows for a more complex layout within a smaller space, and can create some interesting gameplay scenarios, like the carrot area in Semi with its myriad of "tricks". However, it is often hard to make a level like this look aesthetically pleasing, which is why it is not a popular design style anymore.

Jgke
Jun 5, 2010, 12:04 AM
Oh, I have to ask, can we switch our entries once we submit them?

Superjazz
Jun 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
You can change/remake/edit your entry as much as you want until the deadline if you don't happen to be satisfied yet. You can make use of all the time you got.

FireSworD
Jun 6, 2010, 07:05 AM
Currently, my level has a somewhat decisive gimmick (similar to using a trigger crate to open pits in Distored Research Site, but I'm not using the same concept). Is that alright or would it be too much of a gimmick for this contest?

Jgke
Jun 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
Vivando, in case you haven't noticed, I submitted Abandoned Park to J2O's dl section :P
Aka here (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6161/abandoned-park/).

Superjazz
Jun 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
@FS: What I forgot to point out was the policy of death pits, which is that they are allowed as long as they aren't excessive. Meaning that more than half of the floor-width kills you. About the gimmick itself, it's hard to tell yet until I see it. But I personally wouldn't call what P4ul did too gimmicky yet, but keep in mind if you put in too much of open floor, a majority of players will probably VETO your level in "fear of pits."

@Jake: Noticed.

Laro24
Jun 8, 2010, 08:45 AM
My level http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6163/desert-fight/

Raven aka StL
Jun 8, 2010, 11:31 AM
Way to rush the entries, there's a lot of time. :p

Jgke
Jun 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
Idd, now I have an edit #9001 on my upload :P

Toni
Jun 8, 2010, 11:57 PM
I like Jake's level. Just compatible for duels :). I wish this level be in this duel tournament and I will pick it for sure! ;).

EDIT: I saw in rules that you can't ask someone for help. But can some other player help me with level, or can the whole clan (like XLM/OLC etc) make a level?

Grytolle
Jun 9, 2010, 12:21 AM
level making group? :p

Superjazz
Jun 9, 2010, 05:59 AM
I saw in rules that you can't ask someone for help. But can some other player help me with level, or can the whole clan (like XLM/OLC etc) make a level?

Q: Am I allowed to submit more than one entry? Also am I allowed to collaborate with somebody else?
A: Only one entry from one person. Collaborations are allowed without limitations of people taking part in the collab. However a collab counts as 1 total entry for each person in it, no matter how big percentage he/she helped.

There I quite clearly stated you CAN do teamwork, without ANY limitations on the people taking part. So yes, practically an entire Level Making Group can create a level together, but that means none of them can submit another entry on their own anymore.

@Laro: Thanks!

Laro24
Jun 12, 2010, 01:39 AM
Vivando, I think I edited my level for the last time.

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6163/desert-fight/

Looks like my level become more famous. :P

Treylina
Jun 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
Way to rush the entries, there's a lot of time. :p

When Laro had just made his CTF lvl, he didn't even know about this contest. But then I suggested that he should submit it. Soo it's pretty much a coincidence. Kind of.

Laro24
Jun 13, 2010, 04:18 AM
What Treylina said. If you guys want to try out Desert Fight, go to Zeal Duels and login and type /c Desert Fight.

3vs3 may be chaotic though...

stripe
Jun 18, 2010, 03:35 PM
Neat!

-stripe

Merlyn
Jun 21, 2010, 11:44 PM
Im in.

Superjazz
Jun 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
That means I can expect BloodBunny to sign up as well. (y)

FireSworD
Jun 22, 2010, 11:47 AM
It's possible, I did see Bloodbunny active a few years back, not too recent but I think it shows he's still interested in the game.

Superjazz
Jun 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
Four entries have been submitted so far, and I guess that means a chance for 2 maps already. Also as you can see we have an oldie taking part, who mailed his entry for me, so I had to use my own upload-site to make them public. Of course I asked his permission to do this. I however wasn't able to upload the files as a pack for unknown reason, so they are there separately. Enjoy the submissions! :)

Raven aka StL
Jun 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
More like two oldies :D
Awesome.

EvilMike
Jun 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
It's possible, I did see Bloodbunny active a few years back, not too recent but I think it shows he's still interested in the game.

He started making a tileset to use for a sequel to bblair, it looked really cool but I don't think it ever progressed far (I only saw a few random tiles). It looked really cool though.

Merlyn
Jun 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
lol just found this on jazzjackrabbit.net:

The WORST map on Zeal Alpha?
epitome.j2l - Epitome
10 (15%)

That's my only decent level!!! Maybe I shouldn't enter this contest after all :p

EvilMike
Jun 28, 2010, 01:54 AM
lol just found this on jazzjackrabbit.net:

That's my only decent level!!! Maybe I shouldn't enter this contest after all :p

On the other hand, it's also the 4th most liked level (tied - in the second poll), so it can't be all bad!

Merlyn
Jun 28, 2010, 02:41 AM
On the other hand, it's also the 4th most liked level (tied - in the second poll), so it can't be all bad!

Yeh, I like that poll better. My level is progressing very slowly, I'm out of practice.

Treylina
Jun 28, 2010, 09:17 AM
Yeh, I like that poll better. My level is progressing very slowly, I'm out of practice.
My levels progress quite slowly too, and I'm a fairly new and well.. somewhat experienced<--- *cough* levelmaker... you aren't really the only one who takes ages on making lvls. Perhaps you could host yourself (or ask someone else to privately host your work in progress) and every now and then ask them on how to improve it. I think some parts of the lvl epitome itself suffer from the somewhat hard to move parts (yes, I've used Spaz before too) and "stay there for an eternity and shoot so you'll barely have to worry about a thing" parts of the level. And maybe that dead-end placed bouncer PU too. Well that's my reasons why some people dislike it.

snzspeed
Jul 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have decided to not take part in this, since SJ is my good friend, to prevent possible biasement.

FireSworD
Jul 13, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'm really not sure of how my level is turning out so I might be out of this too.

EvilMike
Jul 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
Mine wound up turning into a 2vs2 or 3vs3 level (and totally unsuited to duels) since it's too vertical and campable, so I'm just going to throw something together in the span of one weekend, like I normally do.

Merlyn
Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
Mine has turned into a total rip-off of DW, but it's rubbish!

Superjazz
Jul 14, 2010, 06:16 AM
Just reminding you people that no judges have signed up yet. I need at least two.

Toni
Jul 14, 2010, 08:58 AM
I told you, I can help you SJ... Also I made a level, tested it, and it was nice to play there, imo. Here it is:
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6222/space-shuttle-arena/

Superjazz
Jul 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
I told you, I can help you SJ...

I'm looking for judges who help me find out the best levels for the tournament in this contest, not tournament referees/supervisors. Since you submitted a contest-entry, you can no longer volunteer as a judge, either.

I will be searching the actual tournament-supervisors later, so be patient, please.

snzspeed
Jul 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
Can I help you with the judging, SJ? :D

Superjazz
Jul 15, 2010, 04:39 AM
I will be picking the judges after the deadline of those who signed up. You might help. :P

EvilMike
Jul 15, 2010, 08:36 PM
My level is about 75% done. I need to do the eyecandy and event placement still.

It started off as a 128x64 level, but since I'm designing it for duels, I realized that a lot of the level was pretty extraneous. In the end I shrunk it down to just 89x62, mostly by shortening corridors and getting rid of non-essential areas. It also has quite an open layout, so it's going to be quite a fast paced level, hopefully. Other features include plenty of RF jumping opportunities, and a funny gimmick involving a fly carrot.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to preview it in a public server so I can get some feedback on the gameplay (eyecandy will likely be unfinished)

EvilMike
Jul 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
Alright, here it is: http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6230/employee-of-the-month/

Last time I uploaded a ctf level was 2002(!) though I've made plenty of CTF levels since then.

I wonder if the judges will actually consider this. I know a lot of people <strike>who should go back to playing DW</strike> who would simply reject this level outright, due to certain elements in it. And even if this makes it into the mappool, I suspect it will get vetoed by the same people. I think it's a fun level though.

Vegito
Jul 16, 2010, 09:41 AM
Although I'm never too involved in levelmaking, I'd like to judge since I'm obviously a duelist :). I personally care about gameplay the most.

PurpleJazz
Jul 16, 2010, 09:49 AM
Seeing as I don't really have many ideas for MP at the moment, I might be out of the contest. However, I am still willing to be a judge if I don't come up with something. :P

FireSworD
Jul 16, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm out of this since my level is probably too gimmicky for players to want to try it in the tournament. I offer to be a judge though.

cooba
Jul 16, 2010, 10:29 AM
Stop signing out guys! :(

EvilMike
Jul 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm out of this since my level is probably too gimmicky for players to want to try it in the tournament. I offer to be a judge though.

It can't possibly be worse than mine.

Vegito
Jul 16, 2010, 01:46 PM

You could still try to send it in, its always worth a try

EvilMike
Jul 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
I reuploaded Employee of the Month to include an edit of it that Jake made (titled Employee of the Year, filename EvilCTF22b). I liked it, so I put it there as an official alternate version.

Since the rule is one entry per person, and Jake already has his own level submitted, my submission remains the original Employee of the Month (EvilCTF22).

Jgke
Jul 18, 2010, 05:15 AM
I think that there could be a rule that would allow all versions of a certain level. For instance, choosing between Employee of the Month and the Employee of the Year.

EvilMike
Jul 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
I think the current contest rules are fine, and having two versions of the same map would just complicate things. There are a lot of levels with multiple versions, but it is usually best to stick with the "main" one in cases like this.

Superjazz
Jul 20, 2010, 04:04 AM
I will be leaving today for vacation and will be back on August 1st, which is past the deadline. Once I'm back, I'll check whatever has been submitted until the deadline, and pick the judges. I will start previewing the entries with the judges shortly after the deadline.

Whether you decide to submit the entry by j2o or e-mail, remember to notify me about it by posting here. Also, any other judges?

EDIT: 9 entries have been submitted so far, and it is a great number. Much more than I expected. Since the entries seem to be averagely quite high quality even, I will be considering of letting 4 entries qualify instead of 3. However for that I would still wish for at least one more decent entry. The final mappool is probably going to include either 9 or 10 levels.

Merlyn
Jul 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
My submission: Camelot http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6249/camelot/

Haven't had much time to host so will consider any feedback.

cooba
Jul 28, 2010, 01:47 AM
That's it, I'm scrapping my level (again) and making a smaller one from scratch (attempt 3!)

EvilMike
Jul 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
My submission: Camelot http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6249/camelot/

Haven't had much time to host so will consider any feedback.

This looks pretty good. Having 2 +1 carrots instead of a full nrg makes this level have an interesting difference from most ctf levels. For duels, 2 is usually better than 1, too.

I think the top left corner is a problem in this level. Players can jump up there and camp. There's no real tactical reason to do this, but it can be used as an annoying stalling tactic. The ice powerup is also a bit interesting - thanks to JJ2+ it can actually do damage, but it requires a server setting.

Merlyn
Jul 28, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think the top left corner is a problem in this level. Players can jump up there and camp. There's no real tactical reason to do this, but it can be used as an annoying stalling tactic. The ice powerup is also a bit interesting - thanks to JJ2+ it can actually do damage, but it requires a server setting.

Thanks Mike. The top-left corner is like that so the level meets Vivando's "MP Start Pos only" rule, but still allowed me to test in SP mode (Ctrl+R). I should have fixed it before I submitted...

Each side gets one extra power-up for starters (Ice or Blaster) but there's no generator on them, so they're just a bonus to kick the game off. JJ2+ should really be used so they're of equal benefit, but it's not that important I think.

EvilMike
Jul 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
Each side gets one extra power-up for starters (Ice or Blaster) but there's no generator on them, so they're just a bonus to kick the game off. JJ2+ should really be used so they're of equal benefit, but it's not that important I think.

Oh there's no generator on them? You should probably give them one. There are a number of reasons for this: for one, blaster powerup does 2 damage and has infinite ammo, while ice will only do 1 damage (the powerup just increases its range). So, whoever gets the blaster is at an advantage.

But secondly, non-regenerating powerups don't really work when considering how most people play. Usually people start off games by collecting all the powerups and then returning to the bases, before the countdown begins. I don't know why people do this (I prefer to just start off normally), but this won't really work with nonregenerating powerups - the players will start unevenly, when the idea is for both of them to be equal.

Merlyn
Jul 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
Admittedly it's not balanced. I am considering changing it to both Ice powerups (still with no generator though }>)

cooba
Jul 29, 2010, 01:37 AM
Merlyn: Your problem with SP start positions has an <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=16350">easy, elegant fix</a>.

Merlyn
Jul 29, 2010, 02:11 AM
easy, elegant fix

Being the sort of JCSer that releases a level once every 8 years, I'd prefer not to put a warp target in that's not part of the "real" level. I'll only forget what it's for :p. You're right though, that is a nice solution. I've uploaded a fix.

cooba
Jul 29, 2010, 02:19 AM
I'd prefer not to put a warp target in that's not part of the "real" level.You could just use the already working warp target ;)

Merlyn
Jul 29, 2010, 02:57 AM
You could just use the already working warp target ;)

Stop making me look silly :mad:.

cooba
Jul 29, 2010, 03:39 AM
Not my intention! :(

Merlyn
Jul 29, 2010, 04:14 AM
:p Like I said when you've been away for so long you forget these things...

Now where are my slippers?!?!!

NekoMithos
Jul 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
Okay, i've made a level for the level contest. It's in the Deep and Deeper level pack by me, the second map, called Subterranean Apocalypse.It's here:http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6253/deep-and-deeper-level-pack/ Anyway, it's time for me to leave on a vacation. I'll check this regularly so i can know how the tourney is going. Bye!

Vegito
Jul 31, 2010, 12:30 AM
gg. Write that at 5:13AM right before getting in the car to drive ;-)
Also... wtf.. driving at black saturday?? (-)(-)(-)(-)

Superjazz
Aug 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I am back, and so is the contest. The first part of the contest has now ended and no more entries are accepted. The last entry was submitted only 40 minutes before the deadline by DarkSonic! Also Robee's entry was technically uploaded in time, via PM, because the J2O's upload-function wasn't working back then, so he just uploaded it there afterwards due to my request(to ease my task.)

And so, a total of 13 entries were submitted, which is mighty impressive. Much, much more than I could have even optimistically expected, so very GJ people. Due to that I will let at least 4 maps to qualify. Also I'm going to decide about judges soon, probably tomorrow. Once I've got contact to each, we'll start our job shortly. You may expect the results to be uploaded within the next week.

Superjazz
Aug 5, 2010, 09:47 AM
The contest results are finally here, after a few days of waiting. As I mentioned earlier, I'd let the four best levels the access to the final tournament mappool due to the unexpectedly high amount of entries. The assistant judges were PurpleJazz, FireSworD, and Vegito, who were the only ones to sign up officially, but also met the standards. That way we had a team of experienced JCSer(FS), an experienced player(Veg), and a mix of both(PJ.) We worked with a simple average rating-system, using J2O's usual rating-methods and numbers. We had a careful preview on each level, as well we tested the levels with short duels. That way we made up our mind, and everyone gave each level a personal rating number. The average rating of us four then decided the order. Of course we described each level with positive and negative points to support our ratings, and also to give those who were left outside top-4 some feedback to improve themselves. Now, the winner(s) are:

(Average ratings in brackets)

1st Place: Minimal Duel by Snooze (8.425)

+
• Pretty much an ideal duel-level. Tactical, low camp-factor.
• Easy to learn. Hard to master. Works for any average player.
• Has several useful tricks.
• Looks good and inspiring, although nothing impressively original. Doesn’t confuse the eye.
• Balanced, symmetrical. Well placed carrots.

-
• PepperSpray isn’t very useful here, since there is RF anyway.
• Could have been more open. A bit tunnely.

2nd Place: Wicked Wood by FawFuL (8.2)

+
• Pleasant atmosphere, looks inspiring.
• Tactical carrot placement, lots of freedom and choice.
• Has a high trick-factor.
• Overall wise level designing and useful warps.
• Is well balanced, despite being non-symmetrical.

-
• Has a few redundant areas.
• Some spots are slightly too open.

3rd Place: Employee of the Month by EvilMike (8.075)

+
• Fast-paced level involving several useful tricks. Duel-focused.
• Easy to learn, yet hard to master.
• Simple, but cool and innovative gameplay.
• Original carrot-concept.

-
• PowerUps could be divided better into the level, rather than being all on top of the level.
• A player can pick all the PowerUps in under 3 seconds.
• The level can be very frustrating and evil for a less experienced player.
• Doesn’t give the player much of choice nor freedom. Makes player very dependant on tricks.

4th Place: Light Point by DarkSonic (7.7)

+
• Looks appealing, bright, and colourful, considering the monochromic tileset. Not too confusing.
• Solid and simple layout.
• Aside from the few annoying tubes, there is a good and easy flow.
• Well thought-out carrots. Enough of both horizontal and vertical diversity.

-
• Gameplay is slightly too focused to the bottom-level.
• Not very interesting ammo-concept. Ebs aren’t very useful here.
• The PowerUps can be deadly traps, pretty much literal dead ends.
• Not very useful top-left/right corners.

<HR SIZE="2"></HR>

5th Place: Sterile CTF by stripe (7.525)

+
• Very original in all aspects.
• Excellent use of a self-made tileset-edit.
• Gives players much freedom.

-
• A bit overly complex for dueling.
• A bit distracting ‘bubbles’ in the middle of the level.
• Hard to learn. Might be also too big for dueling.

6th Place: Abandoned Park by Jake (7.425)

+
• Good atmosphere for dueling in overall.
• Has a fair trick-factor.
• Well thought-out tubes and warps.
• Coins/pickups and tubes seem to make a fine eyecandy around the level, although there could be more.

-
• Very middle-concentrated gameplay.
• Campy. Hectic around carrot. There could be more Eb-ammo.
• The flow takes a bit time to get used to, at least.

7th Place: Desert Fight by Laro24 (7.275)

+
• Fairly easy to learn, despite the complexity of the design.
• Good ammo-variety and placement.
• Probably a working carrot-concept.

-
• Slightly red-biased.
• A bit too open, not too tunnely, though.
• Not really an interesting layout. Lacks flow as well.
• Possibly too big for duels. Feels more like a 2vs2 level.

8th Place: Shadowless Encounter by Sir Ementaler (6.975)

+
• Cool atmosphere, eyecandy and use of self-made tileset.
• Interesting base-placement, although that might as well turn out pretty annoying.

-
• A few irritating dead ends.
• The bottom-floor of the level seems to be quite redundant.
• A very campy carrot and middle-zone.
• Flow leaves more to be desired. Most players will probably bump into things a lot.
• Placing loose ammo all around the level wasn’t really necessary.

9th Place: Harlem by Robee (6.875)

+
• Much freedom to do anything.
• Suitable base-placement.
• Cool PowerUp-, and Carrot-concepts. Problem is that the Seeker PowerUp works only for the hosts, because of a bug with water. (The host can't see clients' diagonal shots underwater, thus can’t register the PU being taken. Thanks to Veg for pointing this out.)
• Otherwise could work for duels. Also contains a tactical warp to reduce camp-factor.

-
• Sort of imbalanced.
• Few dead ends, such as the coin-warp in case you forget the coins.
• A bit distracting layer 5-eyecandy, such as the tubes. Mediocre eyecandy.
• Slightly too platformy. More solidness would be appreciated. Not too good flow.

10th Place: Bridge with a big hole. by Ktos (6.775)

+
• Somewhat decent ec.
• Interesting and fairly original theme.

-
• Despite the original theme, it’s not executed very well. Where’s the “big” hole? For what purpose?
• Rather weird base placement. Not sure is the balance ok.
• A really campy Toaster-PU.
• Carrot-placement might not fit very well.
• Overall quite unconventional level.

11th Place: Space Shuttle Arena by TropiCCo (6.15)

+
• Suitable base placement and balance.
• Incredibly easy to learn.

-
• Far too open. Very chaotic gameplay.
• Excessively campy carrot and Seeker PowerUps
• Has a very low trick-factor.
• Has some very redundant areas.
• Gives player the “arena-feeling.” Not a major issue, but this could fit something like ODT better.

12th Place: Camelot by Merlyn (5.875)

+
• Easy to learn. Could have potential for fun duels.
• A fine carrot-placement. Fits.

-
• Lacks both RF and EB-ammo. Both could be very useful.
• Rather useless top of the level aside from reaching Seeker PU. Only seems to be a place to hide.
• Blue-biased. Basements are also very painful dead ends.
• Oldschool level. Lacks eyecandy. Bland for a 2010-level. A few tilebugs.
• Limited, too easy to master. Low trick-factor.
• Overall would have been a much better duel-level if it had more variety of ammo and it was less campy.

13th Place: Subterranean Apocalypse by NekoMithos (5.5)

+
• Decent, surrealistic eyecandy. Not very original though.
• Partly interesting level designing.
• Mainly good flow and easy to navigate.

-
• Horrible base placement. Obvious dead ends. Also, why the triggers doors?
• The top of the level feels squared-off, unrealistic.
• Weird and random pits. Why is there one at the top of the level? On a loose platform?
• High camp-factor, not much tricks to do. Simplistic.
• The minor carrots could have been placed better. Picking them requires a visit in base.

Also a few final notes for everyone; In the tourney-rules I clearly stated that the levels must be 1.23-compatible. At least Laro's level seemed to be TSF only. I forgot were there any others. I also adviced to make levels have as few camping-spots as possible, but some levels just seemed to be having more than easy to control-parts. Some levels had very deadly dead ends if a player got in there, while I stated to avoid them. But still, I am satisfied how people still saw the effort to make their levels at least decent-looking and mostly practical even. The main focus was still the gameplay-part, so of course we commented more on that.

snzspeed
Aug 5, 2010, 09:54 AM
I am surprised. :O

Lithium
Aug 5, 2010, 10:02 AM
Oh no,The Order will kill us because they didn't win! :eek:

FawFul
Aug 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
Now how the hell i came on the second place instead of last :D.

Vegito
Aug 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
Your level had a lot of tricky places and such, it was fun to play in :).
Snooze's level was the perfect example of fun, actually. Easy to play in yet also tons of fun.. I and SJ actually dueled there till 5 since it was just a lot of fun

Jgke
Aug 5, 2010, 09:09 PM
fu i did not pass ;/

stripe
Aug 7, 2010, 07:13 AM
Congrats to all the winners and thanks for organizing everything, Vivando (I know it can be a lot of work!). It would have been nice to make the top four, but I'm sure the winning levels are well deserved because the comments on mine are definitely fair. Y'all should play it anyway though. :D

ELM FOREVER

Superjazz
Aug 7, 2010, 07:31 AM
Yeah, your level seemed to be just excellent for 2vs2/3vs3, stripe. Still, I think you did a good job. :)