PDA

View Full Version : Level maker for hire

Stijn
Jul 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
Somewhere in August I got two weeks of practically non-stop free time. Apart from the usual stuff people do during summer holidays I'd like to get back into JJ2 level making, especially single player, but I don't really have any ideas for a pack that could feasibly be finished within two weeks. I also work a lot better (or at least more efficiently) when there's some pressure on me.

So, if you have a single player project in the works that could use an extra hand, I'd be glad to help out for a bit. I haven't uploaded any SP work to J2O in the past, but I could probably show you a few unreleased levels if you want (if I can find them back ;)).

Violet CLM
Jul 20, 2010, 11:43 PM
Are there any particular settings/genres you'd like to work in? (And can we convince you to join the keeping-JJ1-alive front?)

EvilMike
Jul 21, 2010, 12:27 AM
I have plans for a small level pack using JJ2+'s multiple exits feature. It's part of a more ambitious plan of mine, but I want to start off with something smaller to test the waters, and because I would really like to just make something that isn't epic, for once. This will be a "prologue" of sorts, to a larger project I hope to work on next year.

This is something I was thinking of releasing sometime during the autumn. The size would be 5 or 6 moderate-sized levels (saving should be possible in all of them, unlike devres).

All I have right now is a rough plan. I still need help in a lot of things, including the storyline and the layout (ie how should these levels connect, on the grand scale?).

I am willing to accept any help I can get. And, anyone who joins this project at this point will have a fairly substantial role in deciding how it progresses. I'll still take the role of "director", but I'm very open to collaboration and I am even willing to include "scraps" from abandoned projects (this is something I am very used to doing).

I have ideas of where to go, but they are vague enough to be quite flexible. The only things I am certain about is that the design will be rather nonlinear, that it will be easier than devres, and that there will be an interesting and clear storyline. Also likely is that the design will be jazz-only (I find it interesting to design levels for a single character, and while spaz-only stuff is fun, it tends to be more technical).

So, if you want to contribute, then great. I can then fill you in on everything planned so far. I'm looking for both levels and ideas, and also just someone to brainstorm with. I also like people who work fast, because I work the same way.

Also, my post probably makes this project sound more grandoise than it is. I assure you, it's not. This is something I really don't want to spend more than 2 months working on, and I forsee the majority of the level design being done in a span of weeks.

Also, as a bonus, there's a very high chance of this being released, unlike a lot of SP projects which become vapourware. I think it's fair to say I have a good track record for finishing projects, and I'm pretty good at managing them at this point. So, any help that I am given will not go to waste.

Seren
Jul 21, 2010, 01:33 AM
I don't know when I'll be back at home but if you'll still accept help then, I'll surely try to make something. I'm not sure if I remember how to make easier than devres levels though.

Ragnarok!
Jul 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'd ask you to make CTF/Battles with me but you seem to want to do SP.

Puffie40
Jul 21, 2010, 10:31 AM
I would like some levelwork (At the very least layout work) done on my Spacestation levelset (I know it's been in development hell for a while, but I really want to finish it!). I have a central level (Hub of the space station), and the engineering/reactor level that needs to be done, and I have some modified tilesets that I would like some feedback on.

The "For Hire" part - What would you like for payment? :+

Newspaz
Jul 21, 2010, 02:17 PM
Are there any particular settings/genres you'd like to work in? (And can we convince you to join the keeping-JJ1-alive front?)

Definitely a challenge there.

Stijn
Jul 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
Violet: I'm not particularly interested in making levels for JJ1 or remaking JJ1 for JJ2 (not sure which of the two you mean there, if not something completely different).

EvilMike, your project sounds very interesting and I think I'd like to work on it, though you should probably consider that I haven't really done much JCS'ing in a long while and my work might not be quite up to par with yours. Whether that is a problem is for you to decide, of course. I'd be glad to help out, at least (once my holiday kicks in, that is).

Puffie40: Having my name mentioned in the J2O "credits" upload info box will suffice ;)

Jgke
Jul 21, 2010, 11:37 PM
I could possibly want some help with my SP project. I accidentally deleted the first level and lost the mood for making the levels.

FOX292
Jul 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
I started working on a project(SP episode)about 1 months ago, The episode called "Hell On Earth"(I uploaded a promo lvl on J2O). But for some reasons(I don't have so much free time, working on other projects at the same time) I suspended it...
Now I think about "revive" this project alive.

I can create most of the levels but there is one problem.
I want to create a VERY BIG level(level like "Deserto Orbital Base" - found in Devres ep2 by EvilMike), which takes place in a factory producing weapons for the Satan(Don't ask about the story, It's a secret!)
The problem is that I'll not have free time (I'm going to be very busy), and also I don't have a lot of experiance with creating huge levels like I mentioned.... :(

If you can help me I'll give you a credit and reward you by some way, I promise! :D

Thanks