PDA

View Full Version : Projects like this can't be hoped to be finished soon.

Spare
Sep 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
Around a week ago, I finished my very first level, a 26.9KB, 190x100 monster that it's part of a series I'm working on right now. This beast took me around 5 months to finish - most of the time it was all procrastination, so I may well be the laziest being on Earth, or so I think. :p
There's only a problem on it: I can't save on it - it just crashes when I'm trying to load. Maybe I've put too much stuff in Layers 3 and 5 and because I didn't give a damn about the tile cache, so I guess that's how it ended up like that... :|
I'm already working on the second level, and I'm again getting that "DO NOT WANT - STOP NOW" feeling on it, and it's near finished now! In fact, the only reason I got on working on this project once more is that I'm planning to change my internet service, but the other company has no service where I live (got to wait until early October), and I've already cancelled the first one - and thus I ended up with no Internets at all. However, I'm still trying to get inspired, so I think I can still get on working on it while I get ideas from thin air; I guess this feeling is rather common among level designers and stuff.
That's it, I needed to tell this, to get a bit of help about it and because I wonder if this feeling is normal at all... BTW, don't expect it to be uploaded like that, half-finished - I don't do that.

Jgke
Sep 13, 2010, 08:04 PM
You are experiencing a bug that also happens in QoB, devres, Tomb Rabbit... You just have too much stuff in your level (good thing) but don't worry. Use a bit more saveposts and it's good.

Ae
Sep 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
That is a normal feeling!

Spare
Sep 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Good news: I've finally finished the second level, and I'm now getting into the third one! But now, the problem is I don't know how to pull off my idea for this level! Apparently 192x64 is a bit too small for it, but I don't want to repeat what happened with the first one... :/ Guess I'll have to test to see how it fares. (256x64? 192x96? Both?)

EDIT: I've decided to change the original idea - the caves will stay, but now it will now take some more effort to get to the exit. I've decided to make the caves not right below the ground, but rather to the right of... enough, as I don't wanna spoil the level too much. :) What's sure is I'll have to put a savestate. :/