PDA

View Full Version : Enemies

bogdan971
Nov 2, 2010, 07:17 AM
Is there any way of making (drawing) an animation and use it in a level as an enemy?

Speeza
Nov 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yes click here (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/4041/jazz-sprite-dynamite/). Keep in mind it only changes the sprite. The enemy's attack/properties will still be the same.

Jgke
Nov 2, 2010, 08:24 AM
Also, the enemy will look like you want with your anims.j2a only, and uploading it to J2O with a level is illegal due to copyright.

cooba
Nov 2, 2010, 08:46 AM
uploading it to J2O with a level is illegal due to copyright.That's not true.

sonicnathan 1
Nov 2, 2010, 10:12 AM
and uploading it to J2O with a level is illegal due to copyright.

I don't think so. There just sprites. I'm not good in legal things, but modifying sprites wasn't illegal last time I checked. Even uploading the file I don't think would cause problems as what can you do with just the animation file?

Probably wrong on this but whatever.

Jgke
Nov 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
I think that the modified sprites are legal, but the original aren't.

Stijn
Nov 2, 2010, 10:59 AM
Technically it's illegal, since unless you change every single sprite in the J2A there is content copyrighted by Epic in it, but I don't think J2O would care too much. A bigger issue is that a .j2a file typically is a lot bigger than what you can upload to J2O ;)

Dermo
Nov 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
Well the export option is blacked out. You could, technically, export it frame by frame if desired. That might be a little redundant though, especially for a boss.

Seren
Nov 2, 2010, 11:12 AM
I think Violet was saying something about a 'patch' containing the changed graphics not being very hard to make. Sounds like solving both the problems for me.

Violet CLM
Nov 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
To clarify what I meant, it's not easy to do in the context of JSD because JSD is an existing program and we can't just hack random features into it without the source code. But we <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=15059">know the format for anims.j2a</a>, so it would be possible to code a <em>different</em> program which, say, extracted some number of animations (and their accompanying information) from a(n already edited) .j2a file, saved them in a separate file, and then could later import them back again.

bogdan971
Nov 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
thx everyone!

TheKax
Nov 13, 2010, 06:49 AM
Technically it's illegal, since unless you change every single sprite in the J2A there is content copyrighted by Epic in it, but I don't think J2O would care too much. A bigger issue is that a .j2a file typically is a lot bigger than what you can upload to J2O ;)

Then we have external file hosting services. (no, do not use rapidshare, it sux, use something like host-a-hosting.)

minmay
Nov 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
J2O already has hundreds of instances of copyright infringement. This is really not a concern.

Obi1mcd
Nov 13, 2010, 11:47 PM
Slightly on-topic, I realized that you can turn normal events into 'palette events' with JSD. Not overly important or anything, but it would be an interesting way of making custom sprites with more detail than just using the JJ2 palette, if you made a custom set to go with it. Or using completely different colours, for that matter.

Oh, and how many threads are there right now related to anims.j2a?

Vegito
Nov 15, 2010, 05:50 AM
<s>and here we are back to the damn source code problem</s>

Jgke
Nov 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
Let's hire Nerd to remake the code!

Speeza
Nov 15, 2010, 01:43 PM

Family discount right ?

Jgke
Nov 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
It's about 100%.

minmay
Nov 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
It seems like it would be easier to just make a new game entirely at this point.

Jgke
Nov 16, 2010, 08:43 PM
But JJ2 rox :(

Obi1mcd
Nov 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Make a JJ2.5, with physics designed to match the original, and 3D graphics.

Or get the source code.

Jgke
Nov 17, 2010, 03:57 AM
^Both 2D and 3D levels? 2D would support the old level format and 3D would have new engine. This because 3D levels have to be made with either a 3D modeler or a very complicated level editor.

Obi1mcd
Nov 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
No, 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Nothing whatever to do with JJ2. Completely new game. And nobody's ever going to make it. =b

Nerd
Nov 18, 2010, 06:41 AM

I WILL do this. Someday. Maybe.

No, 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Nothing whatever to do with JJ2. Completely new game. And nobody's ever going to make it. =b

a) There already exists a way to make the background feel 3Dish using textured background (although it's very limited and can create only two parallel 3D planes)
b) Axonometric projection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axonometric_projection) is another, much more flexible way of creating a 3D feel in a level
c) The thread was about JJ2, not a completely new game
d) True 3D would spoil the original 2D feel of the game anyway

cooba
Nov 18, 2010, 06:47 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxXycBv3Rlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxXycBv3Rlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
?

Stijn
Nov 18, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'd love a JJ2 remake in a style like that.

Jgke
Nov 18, 2010, 07:51 AM
Btw, wasn't this thread about making custom enemies?

cooba
Nov 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
Btw, wasn't this thread about making custom enemies?It was, but the original question was answered.I'd love a JJ2 remake in a style like that.A new game would be a dozen times cooler than a remake though. I did think that a potential JJ3 could be partially a remake/retcon of TSF.

Stijn
Nov 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
Sure. Let's rephrase that then, I'd like to see a new Jazz Jackrabbit game in the style of JJ2, but with graphics like in that movie.

cooba
Nov 18, 2010, 09:05 AM
a new Jazz Jackrealistic airplane simulator:gabber:

[GpW]Urbs
Nov 18, 2010, 09:33 AM
cooba which sonice game is that?
Anything fanmade and downloadable?:)

CrimiClown
Nov 18, 2010, 09:39 AM
...is that Sonic vid fo'real or is it just that? Just a video? Or does that game like totally exist? :O

Jgke
Nov 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
It's a video. Check the description.

minmay
Nov 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
This is what's wrong with the world. I mention making a game and the first thing everyone brings up is 3D graphics.

Obi1mcd
Nov 18, 2010, 01:59 PM
What's wrong with 3D graphics? Very well then, at least make it 24-bit.

Then again, what's the point in discussing this?

Jgke
Nov 18, 2010, 08:12 PM
How about having the first tile in the tileset reserved for the sprite's palette? Hmm discussing a new tileset type without the game even being developed...

Obi1mcd
Nov 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
Makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it?

Seren
Nov 19, 2010, 04:50 AM
How about having the first tile in the tileset reserved for the sprite's palette? Hmm discussing a new tileset type without the game even being developed...
This sounds like thinking inside of the box as for me. The "palette" isn't something we need if making a new game. Every "event" can have set "colors" (or textures in 3D) and even "sprites" (or models in 3D) separately, in the level file. Also, the player object, as same as other objects, could be affected by white and colorful light, so different effects can be achieved. So, a torch-holding survival horror, colorful crystal caves and glowing rivers of lava - everything would be possible.

Haha, a beautiful vision, sad that such a thing will never take place.

Jgke
Nov 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Why not? Let's just break in at Nerd's and place him into some dark room with only a computer and a small hole in the door for food. He'll eventually code.

Sacrush
Nov 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
...is that Sonic vid fo'real or is it just that? Just a video? Or does that game like totally exist? :O

There is a fangame Which looks impressive as well! And it's real!

http://sonicfanremix.com/,

Seren
Nov 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
Though I'm not much of a use in game creating (well, I feel like I'm an advanced user of Game Maker, but let's say it has not much to do with a serious thing), I'd love to help in a project of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 version 2.0. From what I noticed about the previous tries of making a new JJ3, the main fails were always facts that:
1. They were started by rather newcomers instead of well known community members.
2. Usually they were worked on by only one person - what means no one could continue the work in case of magical disappearing of that person.
3. They tried to be like JJ3 alpha, which sucked and was 3D (you may disagree with me, but when you add a new dimension to a good 2D game, there's ridiculously high probability it'll become crap).

Due to the fail #1 and the fact I can't do much programming, I won't even try to start making a "JJ2 remake in a style like that", however I'd follow anyone whose nickname I know who would start it.

Lithium
Nov 27, 2010, 09:22 AM
Though I'm not much of a use in game creating (well, I feel like I'm an advanced user of Game Maker, but let's say it has not much to do with a serious thing), I'd love to help in a project of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 version 2.0. From what I noticed about the previous tries of making a new JJ3, the main fails were always facts that:
1. They were started by rather newcomers instead of well known community members.
2. Usually they were worked on by only one person - what means no one could continue the work in case of magical disappearing of that person.
3. They tried to be like JJ3 alpha, which sucked and was 3D (you may disagree with me, but when you add a new dimension to a good 2D game, there's ridiculously high probability it'll become crap).

Due to the fail #1 and the fact I can't do much programming, I won't even try to start making a "JJ2 remake in a style like that", however I'd follow anyone whose nickname I know who would start it.

It happens like this: A guy who speaks fail English comes,announces the great JJ3 based on JJ2 having MMO elements and then disappears or tries to give links to viruses.

gg