PDA

View Full Version : Dethrone the Tyrant Contest!

FireSworD
Jan 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
top dawg!

The theme of this contest involves bosses, as the title suggests. There are two separate categories for SP and MP. You can choose to enter one of the categories below, but not both. I'll explain the details below:

Category 1 (Single Player):

Description:

This category involves making an arena fit for a boss (Mostly End Bosses in JJ2, if you are unclear), there are many ways of doing so, and it might be interesting to see if there are more creative ways to make boss arenas. In the default JJ2 SP levels, the border of an arena is defined by the 'activate boss' and in some levels the 'limit X Scroll' events. An arena is often built to cater to the boss' abilities.

Category 1 Rules:

Must constitute anything that involves JJ2; Must not involve anything outside of JJ2 (That is, specifically, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, lol).
Must be a Single Player level.
Artificial (Custom made) bosses count; Artificial bosses often include tileset related obstacles.
You can only send me one arena.
One arena can contain only one 'boss', this means one fight 'sequence'.
Any enemy or event can be a boss (Rocket Turtle is, of course, allowed), but it's recommended you stick with End Bosses.
The Arena must only cater to the boss, in other words, everything involved should constitute the boss in some way (Leave this to my judgement). The Arena must be yours. Remakes are allowed, but only if they are from default SP levels, or if there is irrefutable proof of author's consent for non-default boss arenas (Contact me!).
No level making teams are allowed.
There is no clear definition of what defines a boss, but it is highly recommended to work within convention (Difficult, time consuming, may have minions etc).
I will not accept previously made boss arenas.
I have the right to deny any boss arena.

Category 2 (Multi Player):

Description:

This category is quite different in the aspect that no SP enemies are involved, as obviously the enemies are other players. The objective here is to remake a default JJ2 SP boss arena into an assassination level. Obviously, the arenas are remade to cater to the leader playing. If you aren't familiar with the assassination gametype, then please read this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jdc/event/eventdesc.php). This category is probably much harder to deal with, but your work should be cut out for you. Remaking an SP arena other than a default one is allowed, but there must be proof of consent from the author, and it's not recommended as the level is probably not well-known. Quirky idea, eh?

Category 2 Rules:

Must constitute anything that involves JJ2; Must not involve anything outside of JJ2 (That is, specifically, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, lol).
Must be an assassination level.
You can only send me one level.
The level must be yours and a remake of a default SP boss arena. Remakes of other SP boss arenas are allowed, but only if there is irrefutable proof of author's consent (Contact me!). Remakes of other assassination levels are not allowed.
No level making teams are allowed.
I will not accept previously made boss arenas that were remade into assassination levels.
No extent on what can be remade has been established, but it is recommended to stick close to the general concept.
Follow the general rules that constitute making an assassination level. Again this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jdc/event/eventdesc.php) is reference, but there are exceptions such as leaders not being confined to bases.
I have the right to deny any assassination level.

I already have the judging stages planned, but I won't give any details until later (assuming this contest works).

Prize: $50 (us currency) to the overall winner. Money will be converted according to currency of who won, and he/she must discuss details with me. Speaking of which, it's important all participants have some form of contact with me. For contact, the best way is to add me on msn messenger: aaron_kleinsmith@msn.com.

Feel free to ask questions or give suggestions, the more the better. If, by any chance, any of you see flaws please let me know. I will make sure this contest will be as fair as possible, and that it should (hopefully) work out smoothly.

Deadline: April 9, 2011

Jgke
Jan 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
Oh (-)(-)(-)(-), money. Must... open... JCS...

FireSworD
Jan 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
Just want to point out that category 2 probably won't have very much competition *hint*.

Seren
Jan 31, 2011, 04:02 AM
Can an entry be TSF-only, Plus-only, JJM-only?

Should a level use minimal amount of not-the-arena space or can it be a big level with boss arena in the end? Is anything but the arena important when you're "rating" an entry? The answer to these questions may be obvious, but I'd rather ensure if it may make me richer.

FireSworD
Jan 31, 2011, 08:23 AM
Can an entry be TSF-only, Plus-only, JJM-only?

Should a level use minimal amount of not-the-arena space or can it be a big level with boss arena in the end? Is anything but the arena important when you're "rating" an entry? The answer to these questions may be obvious, but I'd rather ensure if it may make me richer.

Don't mind the version, as long as it's JJ2 I'm fine.

If you're talking about Category 2, the arena is important but you can expand upon it.

If you're talking about Category 1, I suggest you read rule #7.

Seren
Jan 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
If you're talking about Category 2, the arena is important but you can expand upon it.

If you're talking about Category 1, I suggest you read rule #7.
I mean Category 1, the rule doesn't answer my question clearly. Let me ask otherwise, which of these levels would be valid entries:

The Rocket Turtle final bossfight in Episode 1 of devres
The Schwartzenguard bossfight in Episode 5
The Devan Shell bossfight in Episode 2
Bad Pitt (the last level) from the official episodes

FireSworD
Jan 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
I mean Category 1, the rule doesn't answer my question clearly. Let me ask otherwise, which of these levels would be valid entries:

The Rocket Turtle final bossfight in Episode 1 of devres
The Schwartzenguard bossfight in Episode 5
The Devan Shell bossfight in Episode 2
Bad Pitt (the last level) from the official episodes

Bad Pitt (the last level) does not constitute Category 1.

Zerg
Feb 1, 2011, 05:52 AM
Oh (-)(-)(-)(-), money. Must... open... JCS...

Saying the same :)...
So I have to make an unbeatable, hard boss with the help of events, and objects?}>}>}>
Can I make a very small place near it?(just to make the morale of the bossfight)?

FireSworD
Feb 1, 2011, 11:07 AM
I added rule #10 of category 1 so that people could get an idea of the kind of boss arenas I want. An "unbeatable" boss is strongly discouraged, and I may just disallow any boss arena sent to me that features a truly "unbeatable" boss.

Also, rule #7 applies to your second question.

ShadowGPW
Feb 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice!

I'll join! :)

FireSworD
Feb 1, 2011, 04:37 PM
In case you guys are wondering, the deadline is around the time the anniversary bash for jj2 should be starting. For category 2, I am kinda hoping to arrange a sort of side event with the assassination levels. This is assuming category 2 even gets entries, and they are good levels. Think of it as another prize. ;)

Jgke
Feb 1, 2011, 11:06 PM
...Can you really compare a good boss and a good assasination level?
oh yeah, i already have ideas for both categorys

Zerg
Feb 2, 2011, 06:00 AM
So, mine is done. But how can I get the information if it is good or not?
Can I upload it to jazz2online?
Can I edit it after uploading? :) (theese question's are simple, but I wanna get sure if can I do them or not?)

ShadowGPW
Feb 2, 2011, 06:21 AM
In case you guys are wondering, the deadline is around the time the anniversary bash for jj2 should be starting. For category 2, I am kinda hoping to arrange a sort of side event with the assassination levels. This is assuming category 2 even gets entries, and they are good levels. Think of it as another prize. ;)

The bash is offically on 9 april, so keeping yourself at the deadline of 1 april is a good idea.

Troglobite
Feb 2, 2011, 09:59 PM
I will not accept previously made boss arenas.

Does this apply to concept levels I threw together a good while ago, showed a person or two, but never got around to finishing or publishing?

Obi1mcd
Feb 2, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well, first off, I'm in. If I have until April, then I should be able to make a nice polished level. A couple of questions, though, since one or two of your rules were a tad ambiguous.
If the level has sections outside the boss arena, are the sections not counted in the rating, or is the level disqualified? Nothing like a large level, but a small room with triggers. It's for the concept I've got.
Also, I have to agree with Jake. Can you really judge entirely different levels? Or are the categories judged seperately?

FireSworD
Feb 2, 2011, 10:51 PM
Does this apply to concept levels I threw together a good while ago, showed a person or two, but never got around to finishing or publishing?

Don't mind since they weren't finished and published.

Also, I have to agree with Jake. Can you really judge entirely different levels? Or are the categories judged seperately?

I have yet to tell how the ultimate winner will be decided.

If the level has sections outside the boss arena, are the sections not counted in the rating, or is the level disqualified? Nothing like a large level, but a small room with triggers. It's for the concept I've got.

Rule #7 applies yet again. Don't mind the trigger room as long as it involves the boss in some way.

So, mine is done. But how can I get the information if it is good or not?
Can I upload it to jazz2online?
Can I edit it after uploading? :) (theese question's are simple, but I wanna get sure if can I do them or not?)

Yes to the last two questions, but it's not recommended you edit though. Also, just be patient for info please.

Zerg
Feb 3, 2011, 02:28 AM
I have released it. (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6527/highly-dangerous-ulteurus/)
If any problem with it, please inform me :).

Puffie40
Feb 4, 2011, 08:24 AM
How much of a storyline do you want?

FireSworD
Feb 4, 2011, 10:31 AM
There's no need for a storyline, but one can be added.

Jgke
Feb 6, 2011, 12:46 AM
Will you deduct points or something if there are tilebugs that are caused by the tileset? D:

FireSworD
Feb 6, 2011, 09:37 AM
Try to avoid tilebugs, especially if they are significant enough to harm gameplay.

FireSworD
Feb 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
I have released it. (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6527/highly-dangerous-ulteurus/)
If any problem with it, please inform me :).

Beat it, about an hours work I guess.

Just want to post this as a suggestion that bosses should be fun over difficulty. High difficulty is nice and expected but fun is more important. Not saying your level wasn't fun! It was!

Sean
Feb 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm in for Category 2, for I haveth no chance of winning Category 1.

I have two questions:
1. Can your Messenger ID be used to email you as well? I don't use Messenger.
2. Must the Assassination level be symmetrical? Most SP levels aren't.

FireSworD
Feb 10, 2011, 11:42 PM
1. Yes
2. No

Jgke
Mar 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
CGRTCL! (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6557/completely-generic-rocket-turtle-chase-level/)

Yay @ the name :D

KRSplat
Mar 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
I made a level for this! (Made for disposal) It's not difficult, though.

Obi1mcd
Mar 6, 2011, 06:13 AM
Ugh, I'm going through heaps of concepts that just won't work because of JJ2's bugs. Does anybody happen to know exactly how Devil Devan handles solid tiles?

Jgke
Mar 6, 2011, 07:28 AM
Ugh, I'm going through heaps of concepts that just won't work because of JJ2's bugs. Does anybody happen to know exactly how Devil Devan handles solid tiles?

Badly.
hmm, now i realize this is kinda bad answer to your question but I don't really know any better answers so just ignore this post kthx?

Leus AKA Simba
Mar 11, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm working on this. :)

BTW can anyone tell me the exact logic behind Bilsy's teleportation?

Leus AKA Simba
Mar 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
On another note, is there any way to do no-fire zones in single player?

Troglobite
Mar 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
No, sorry. No-Fire zones can only work in multiplayer.

Leus AKA Simba
Mar 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
Wargh, I can't believe how hard this is. No boss fits right with what I'm trying to do. The rocket turtle would actually be good except his flying mechanics are totally schizo and he'll only do what I want about 20% of the time. I tried inspecting what EvilMike did, tried to catch him in a big area of...areas... But still, only works randomly. Oh well.

Obi1mcd
Mar 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
To try and answer both:
I had an experiment a couple of days ago with bilsy for my level, but he didn't suit my needs. If you place him over a solid tile, he will drop down to that level automatically, and will stay there permanently, ignoring any walls that get in his way. He'll teleport to an tile with the same height, as long as it isn't lower than the one he started on, if that makes sense.
Oh, and no-fire zone events don't work, but you could try substituting them with Destruct Scenery, set to TNT or something, as long as the TNT isn't in the stage. Unmasked destruct scenery, that is. I was experimenting with that, too. Great minds think alike. =b

Violet CLM
Mar 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
I got blur to make them work in SP in JJ2+ a while back, so you can tell people to run your level that way.

Leus AKA Simba
Mar 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah I was havin' the same problem with ol' Bilsy. He always wants to stay on the same row for some reason, even though I know he CAN teleport vertically. He does it every now and then randomly, based on circumstances I haven't been able to yet understand I suppose. If he could teleport vertically more efficiently he'd be the most badass boss evar.

Interesting idea with the destruct scenery. I'd scrapped that original level idea, but maybe I'll try it again now. Thanks for the help, and good luck on your levels as well! I'll def try 'em out. :)

Jgke
Mar 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
No fire zone in sp: Make a bomb scen, tag it to an animation with a tile of your choise in it. Empty tiles work too. (Actually this isn't a no fire zone, it takes the shots that come to it(works in mp too))

Violet CLM
Mar 12, 2011, 06:27 AM
I got blur to make them work in SP in JJ2+ a while back, so you can tell people to run your level that way.
where "them" means "no fire zones" because that was the topic of discussion

Leus AKA Simba
Mar 12, 2011, 03:13 PM
Lol, I've started an entirely new level where the boss is the bonus rabbit. :D

Obi1mcd
Mar 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
O_o
That will be interesting to see.

Sean
Mar 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hey FireSworD, I've got another question.

...the arena is important but you can expand upon it.

How much is that expansion limited to? I'm using a rather small SP boss arena, but I copied it three times, flipped it and put that flipped version on the right, and made it symmetrical and put that version in the middle, then copied the entire finished thing and pasted it five times around the level, so now if we do the math, we have 18x more arena space than the original thing. In addition to that space, I've put all these six different copies hundreds of tiles away from each other and put lots of Suck events, making the total space used: 'A LOT'. Would that be considered overkill?

FireSworD
Mar 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
That's definitely allowed. As for how good the level is, I'm not so sure yet.

Zerg
Mar 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
I should've choose the assasination level creating :)...

Jgke
Mar 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
You can choose both!

cooba
Mar 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
You can choose both!You can choose to enter either one of the categories below, but not both?<!>

Jgke
Mar 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hmm, in that case I'm taking away my SP entry, misunderstood the rules...

Sean
Mar 21, 2011, 05:54 AM
No level making teams allowed this time.

How about small help like some suggestions or someone you called in just to help with one specific problem?

FireSworD
Mar 21, 2011, 07:12 AM
That's fine, I'm ruling out actual collaborations like more than one person working on the same level. In other words, only one person gets credit.

Sean
Mar 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Done. Forced Decay! (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/info.php?levelID=6591)

Please do read the readme though, if you just jump in to the level you will find it VERY confusing indeed. And also I will most definitely be editing it over again to fix small snags here and there, so check back again once the deadline really finishes!

Zerg
Mar 26, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just now I understand what you meant with: I'm using a rather small SP boss arena, but I copied it three times, flipped it and put that flipped version on the right, and made it symmetrical and put that version in the middle, then copied the entire finished thing and pasted it five times around the level, so now if we do the math, we have 18x more arena space than the original thing. :D :D

Jgke
Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
...Isn't that a bit like hacking? :D
I wanted to do something as far as that but FS rejected it :(
E: Also, where is the boss arena, and from what level? :D

Zerg
Mar 26, 2011, 11:41 AM

Its an assasination level :) so it don't has boss

Obi1mcd
Mar 26, 2011, 08:01 PM
What he means is, what arena did he remake?

Sean
Mar 26, 2011, 08:56 PM

What he means is, what arena did he remake?

I assume that Jake downloaded the level, but did not read the readme. He most definitely should have. And the level I remade is EvilMike's "The Schwarzenguard's Lair".

Obi1mcd
Mar 29, 2011, 12:08 PM
Done! (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6592/sparks-factory/)

Hopefully there will be some more SP entries.

Jgke
Mar 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
Finally. (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6596/world-of-simulation/)
This should be a better level ;)

Obi1mcd
Mar 30, 2011, 10:36 PM
*looks*
So, what is this one a remake of?

Jgke
Mar 31, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hmm, do I have to say? *Gets the list*
E:Now the upload has a list!

cooba
Mar 31, 2011, 04:35 AM
Do you have DanX's permission for using the arena from Diamond Rabbit?

Jgke
Mar 31, 2011, 05:45 AM
Do I need one?

Obi1mcd
Mar 31, 2011, 05:51 AM
Remakes of other JJ2 SP boss arenas are allowed, but only if there is irrefutable proof of author's consent.

Yep.

Jgke
Mar 31, 2011, 09:21 AM
Well, did Sean ask Evilmike? ;P
Ahem, FS, is my level eligble to the contest or do I have to remove the arena? :P

Sean
Apr 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
I did ask him, and EvilMikd PMed FS about it.

FireSworD
Apr 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ahem, FS, is my level eligble to the contest or do I have to remove the arena? :P

It's allowed only if you get permission, and Fourteen Carrot doesn't have a 'boss arena'. Hmm.

Also, I got Mike's PM, and Sean's level is allowed.

Jgke
Apr 1, 2011, 10:08 PM
Ok, in that case, I can take it off my level. But what do you mean that Fourteen Carrot wouldn't have a boss arena?

FireSworD
Apr 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
Isn't the default level diam3.j2l? - and it doesn't have a 'boss'?

Jgke
Apr 1, 2011, 11:41 PM
Robot boss, and I have it in diam2.j2l. Do you want me to send it to you?

cooba
Apr 2, 2011, 02:33 AM
diam2.j2l is obviously not an official level...

Jgke
Apr 2, 2011, 03:20 AM
Interesting. I thought it was :P, removing arenas now.
Btw, why do we have to either ask the levelmaker or use official levels?
E: Now the level has two less arenas :(

FireSworD
Apr 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
I don't want people whining about their levels being edited. Also, editing the default levels comes with no consequence.

Leus AKA Simba
Apr 6, 2011, 10:21 AM
Well, I'm cutting it a bit close to the deadline. I was working pretty hard on one concept where I had the bonus rabbit as the boss, but when I finally finished it I just felt it wasn't quite right. Then, I somehow got new inspiration on an old concept I had for this contest and cranked this out in the past few days:

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6603/bollyworld/

Hope you guys enjoy BollyWorld! I think it turned out well. Let me know what you like and what you think I could do different. :)

Seren
Apr 7, 2011, 06:29 AM
Could you please set an exact deadline (hour, timezone) so I know how much time do I have left? Everything's rather finished but I'd like to work on eyecandy and details until the very end.

FireSworD
Apr 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
Alright, you guys have until 12 AM gmt -6 on april 9th.

Seren
Apr 8, 2011, 02:18 PM
The level (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6612/this-end-up/).

Leus AKA Simba
Apr 8, 2011, 05:58 PM
Whaaat a wallkick?

Edit: Oh, is that when you pick up speed and jump, then use the wall to change direction?

FireSworD
Apr 9, 2011, 04:09 AM
Time is up. I'll make a more detailed post explaining the judging process later.

Zerg
Apr 9, 2011, 04:14 AM
huh.. my level was released 2 months ago :)
Anyway, anything happens, it was fun playing all theese levels.

Sean
Apr 9, 2011, 06:27 AM
Well, whatever it is, just spit out the results already! :P Don't keep us in suspense!

Leus AKA Simba
Apr 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
Here are all the entries for easy access.

BOSSES:
Highly Dangerous Uterus (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6527/highly-dangerous-ulteurus/)
Sparks Factory (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6592/sparks-factory/)
BollyWorld (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6603/bollyworld/)
This End Up (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6612/this-end-up/)

ASSASSINATION:
Forced Decay (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/info.php?levelID=6591)
World of Simulation (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6596/world-of-simulation/)

I didn't miss any did I?

FireSworD
Apr 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
Well, whatever it is, just spit out the results already! :P Don't keep us in suspense!

I don't have any results yet. By the way, I got to play both the assassination levels with some other people.

I said I'd type a detailed post explaining the judging stages, but j2o went down and I wasn't able to access the site (hmm, I should have typed it somewhere else). Anyway, I'll get around to it in a week's time, I'm busy.

Leus AKA Simba
Apr 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Fair enough, glad you at least gave a time frame. :)

Sean
Apr 11, 2011, 06:25 PM
I don't have any results yet. By the way, I got to play both the assassination levels with some other people.

I said I'd type a detailed post explaining the judging stages, but j2o went down and I wasn't able to access the site (hmm, I should have typed it somewhere else). Anyway, I'll get around to it in a weeks time, I'm busy.

Well, at least rate our levels! We didn't post them up to linger there :P

Jgke
Apr 11, 2011, 09:56 PM
Also, did my level's systems work? I did test them a bit, but I'm not completely sure if they can manage prolonged stress ;)

Sean
Apr 12, 2011, 02:34 AM
Also, did my level's systems work? I did test them a bit, but I'm not completely sure if they can manage prolonged stress ;)

They work. I didn't place a stress test, but I looked through it in JCS, and it was perfectly fine.

FireSworD
Apr 16, 2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks to all who've entered. I expected creative, difficult bosses for SP, and that is what I've received.

Now, my original plan was to judge different levels based on ideals and purpose. For example, it's easy to pinpoint Voldard's Cool Treasure Jungle is a worse level than something like Dream Stage, because Voldard's Cool Treasure Jungle doesn't fit the purpose of a treasure level as well as Dream Stage fits for a battle level, it's simply a better level overall. My plan was for the winner to have made the best level overall, this means the level would be greater for what it accomplished with the gametype.

I am sorry to say that is irrelevant now.

After testing both the assassination levels, there were decisive problems that prevented them from the next process: For instance, Jake's level, World of Simulation, did not score properly, as one of the leaders had to be roasted 3 times to finally score a point. Sean's level, Forced Decay, did not allow late joiners or the controller to play; they might not be considered serious problems, but they can be if you play a jdc event. Forced Decay is also quite a gigantic (perhaps too big? - maybe only fit for super large jdc events or games? - even 3vs3 is on the small side), repetitive level and most players wanted /c. So, I found these problems very hard to forgive, but I'd like to know what the authors think. Have you guys learned anything about assassination level making?

Now, there are all of the SP Boss Arenas!

To be most fair, all of the SP Boss Arenas will go on a poll for the community to vote on and choose the winner. You see, opinions can vary, why only trust mine? - I had plans for a panel of judges, but that's never always a good idea. Good luck!

Jgke
Apr 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
Hmm, didn't know of that bug... Which team leader? I could try fixing it ;)

FireSworD
Apr 16, 2011, 01:55 AM
Both leaders didn't score, however, one of them did once. Also, too late, sorry.

Obi1mcd
Apr 16, 2011, 02:01 AM
So... Only the SP entries are to be entered in the poll?

FireSworD
Apr 16, 2011, 02:03 AM
That's correct.

Jgke
Apr 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
Weird... When I tried it myself, it worked...

cooba
Apr 16, 2011, 03:28 AM
Remember to disable Capture Wait when playing Assassination levels.