PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous reputation?

Torkell
Feb 22, 2011, 01:37 PM
/me puts on mod hat

There's been some complaints about people using the rep system as a way to send anonymous flames and personal attacks. Well, a) flames and personal attacks are against the JCF rules and more importantly b) admins can see all the rep comments and who made them. If someone is getting flamed through it then we can find out who's responsible and deal with them. So behave when using the rep system :derby:

/me takes off mod hat

Speaking of anonymity, the suggestion was made that displaying who gave/removed reputation would make people less likely to use it for attacking posters. On the other hand, keeping reputation anonymous means that you can critique others without them going "he negrepped me! RETURN NEGREP!" I'm open to suggestions on this, so what do you think about reputation being anonymous?

Go forth and word-procreate upon this ‘forum’ upon which men from the ‘internet’ may ‘talk’ to one another.

Obi1mcd
Feb 22, 2011, 11:35 PM
By all means, keep it anonymous. If flaming is a problem, then perhaps a report button for reputation a user has received? Then an admin could remove it.
Besides, taking away the anonymity would make people more hesitant to say something harsh. Maybe that's a good thing, but like ivo said, honesty. Of course, if it's overly harsh then that's where the report button idea could be useful, but I think the reputation system is all right as it is for the time being.
I mean, if people disagree then they should keep arguing and flaming in PMs.

Lithium
Feb 23, 2011, 06:31 AM
public plz

Or at least let us know if we were flamed or so?

Grytolle
Feb 23, 2011, 07:07 AM
you can tell if you were flamed already..

Lithium
Feb 23, 2011, 08:08 AM
Doesn't really help...

What I meant is to allow us to see who flamed.

Obi1mcd
Feb 23, 2011, 08:15 AM
As in, be able to see who negrepped only? That doesn't quite make sense to me.

Lithium
Feb 23, 2011, 08:54 AM
If they do not want to let us see everything,at least let us see who flamed. I am not angry if someone negreps with a comment like "I am sorry,but I do not agree",but I really want to know who writes comments like "haha noob" or "you have too much rep".

Stijn
Feb 23, 2011, 09:30 AM
Lithium, does the following address your concerns?

a) flames and personal attacks are against the JCF rules and more importantly b) admins can see all the rep comments and who made them. If someone is getting flamed through it then we can find out who's responsible and deal with them.

Personally I've been quite busy lately and thus haven't done a lot of moderating, but I assume Torkell has been watching this. We can (and - fingers crossed - will) delete ratings that are simply flames.

Treylina
Feb 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
I don't really agree that removing anonymity would end up in harsher flaming. Because the person would know who negrepped them, and they would know the consequence. I'd think it would end up in the opposite tbh. Most of my negrep comments are useless stuff that don't help me behave better like "stfu", "noob", "lolol" and similar stuff. I haven't got one negrep comment with an actual reason told. Sure people can disagree with me, but I don't even negrep others if I don't agree with them. And if I knew who negrepped me (if that ever happens that is), I wouldn't tell others to negrep them, even if they did for no reason. That's just immature. When I don't know who did, it makes it even harder for me to know why I was negrepped in the first place. So yeah, I'm kind of for letting members see others who negrepped them.

There's another reason why it's easier to flame while you're anonymous. Because they don't know who you are exactly, and you know you won't get punched in the face, or flamed back possibly.

GieNka
Feb 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
I confess, I wrote one of these statements :D Happy?

Generally I dont think it's needed to make them public

minmay
Feb 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
I will demonstrate the way the anonymous reputation system works with a sequence of "private" messages*.

You forgot to delete this one.Au contraire, I don't delete trolling when I don't feel bad (read: I'm trolling a total idiot (read: starcraft)) about it
uhh i think you sent this to the wrong person
either that or someone else got into my account, whatever
in fact if you notice me giving reputation to anyone, positive or negative, tell me because it means someone other than me was using my account because i am too lazy/disapproving to participate in the reputation system
well (-), nevermind

I can't view who gives reputation btw, this was a wild guess
oh okay, i forgot you weren't a jcf admin again. no problem.

*I got permission. <s>so don't negrep me</s>

Violet CLM
Feb 23, 2011, 06:19 PM
Oh look, a thread about reputation; there's no way this can go wrong!

Would it be possible to implement a rough analogue of J2O's quick review system and have more detailed reasons (read: not "stfu") carry more weight?

ETA: Well, yes, negrepping me with a paragraph of lorem ipsum would certainly get around the fix, but it's more work on your part and it doesn't make the problem worse, so I don't think you win this one.

Vegito
Feb 23, 2011, 11:04 PM
Personally, I think it's best to let them stay anonymous. I got negrepped several times at trol posts but that was expected. 2 times or so I got negrepped cause the one negrepping me totally misunderstood my post.. That's just worth a *sigh* :)

Allowing people to see who negreps you, would probably end up in flaming in quite some cases too.. Don't even try. I support URs idea :)

Grytolle
Feb 24, 2011, 01:28 AM
When I don't know who did, it makes it even harder for me to know why I was negrepped in the first place.
The reasons should be clear enough anyway.

If someone negreps you without a message, it just means "I don't approve of your post".

If someone negreps you with the message "noob" it means your post was noobish (i.e. you were unaware of something everyone knows and your posting made you look folish - in the case in question you somehow had never heard Raven rant on about the good old days which he claims to have been part of. For more fun, look through threads started by returning oldies where lots of people say "I remember you :D ", including Raven, and the thread starter invariably remembers everyone except Raven)

"lolol noob" sounds like an emphasized version of "noob", with a humorous aspect.

"lolol" would be the same, but there is a possibility that the person in question just thought it'd be funny to negrep you (perhaps because you keep mentioning being negrep'd on the forum - yeah, people can be so mean). I imagine it might have happened when you said "and don't negrep me because I like lori" in the end of one of your posts. Seriously, you don't even need to be especially immature to not resist that :D (If I recall correctly, I fell for the temptation myself)

"stfu" would be an emphasized version of "I don't approve", implying that your post was either insulting to the person in question or one of their friends, or that you post too much in general and should save some figurative air for the rest of us

There's another reason why it's easier to flame while you're anonymous. Because they don't know who you are exactly, and you know you won't get punched in the face, or flamed back possibly.
This is the only reason you would want to know who did it: so you can confront them (admittedly you can do that in other ways than punching them in the face)

Surprise, surprise: I like the system as it is. When I want people know that I gave/took (the latter being rather hypothetical) rep from them, I just add "/Gry" at the end.

Sure, I've thought it annoying to receive commentless negreps in the past, but imo it's an OK trade-off for being able to express my own irritation anonymously instead of starting a lengthy forum flamewar (the kind where you do your best to keep your insults so subtle that the admins can't figure out a good reason to delete them) every time someone makes a stupid post.

Lithium
Feb 24, 2011, 02:38 AM
Yay,thanks for the negative reputation with the comments I won't get angry about! And say that's not trolling...

just disable the damn thing

minmay
Feb 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
Follow up post.

http://i.imgur.com/1cm6n.png

I don't think the reputation system should lose anonymity. In addition to the problem of people trying to get back at other people for giving negative reputation, it will probably lead to people giving positive reputation to people who gave them positive reputation. Also, I'd probably arouse more wrath for posting my reputation comments in this thread.

Treylina
Feb 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
I imagine it might have happened when you said "and don't negrep me because I like lori" in the end of one of your posts. Seriously, you don't even need to be especially immature to not resist that :D (If I recall correctly, I fell for the temptation myself)

I don't recall saying something like that...to be honest if they weren't anonymous I would just ask why they negrepped me if no actual reason was implied. I hardly rep people actually, and I have no temptations of repping people for whatever they say. The reasoning idea sounds alright though. It sucks being autistic here...

Grytolle
Feb 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
For the record I'd like to give the thumbs down to "stfu".

Violet CLM
Feb 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
Trey: <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=466554&postcount=15">perhaps this post?</a>

Treylina
Feb 25, 2011, 05:33 AM
For the record I'd like to give the thumbs down to "stfu".
I try to type to the point as best as possible, you know. :( Or wait, have I misunderstood?
Trey: <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=466554&postcount=15">perhaps this post?</a>
Nah, I don't think it's that post. I've just read through it now. But I think a few minutes after I replied yesterday I think I realised I had posted it on another thread but I deleted it. Well don't expect me to post anymore on this thread, I really don't have much else to say anymore. Sometimes I say put that I get tonnes of minus rep as a joke, because I say something different from the others and my weird sense of humour...

Lithium
Mar 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
/There's been some complaints about people using the rep system as a way to send anonymous flames and personal attacks. Well, a) flames and personal attacks are against the JCF rules

there

PurpleJazz
Apr 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
In my opinion the reputation system needs to go. It doesn't accomplish anything positive, and results in many flame wars despite being anonymous.

Lithium
Apr 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
I agree.

cooba
Apr 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
In my opinion the reputation system needs to go. It doesn't accomplish anything positive, and results in many flame wars despite being anonymous.Funny how you didn't think that before you got negative reputation lately!

Zerg
Apr 5, 2011, 09:16 AM
A poll could be made... (personally I don't like reputation system)
Ops... This is a poll :)

Sean
Apr 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
I doubt the admins actually check the reputations given. I received a negrep for a light joke I made in the thread "If you couldn't be in your current clan, which clan would you join?" and my last received negrep was one with the comment "I AM 13 AND I HATE GAYS!" despite the fact that I am not gay.

Obi1mcd
Apr 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
The reputation system isn't going to hurt anybody. We've had it for a while now, and I thought that people were finally getting sick of complaining about it or something. Besides, look at the poll. I know only 28 people voted, but there's still 50% in favor of keeping it.

Zerg
Apr 6, 2011, 04:10 AM
It would be the best to make a new poll.. It seems that pretty much people wants to change his vote. (or a few...)

Sean
Apr 6, 2011, 04:45 AM
...and then I received a positive reputation saying "I AM 13 AND I LOVE GAYS!". These are both really pointless reputations.

Lithium
Apr 6, 2011, 04:52 AM
First negative rep I got was fine. Then I got negative rep for comments in the BRFH/GpW thread,possibly from the BRFH members. I got negative reputation for saying some people should get banned,"yes you hate a lot of people,we know that". LOL.
I again got negrepped for no reason,just because I suggested we form a Yugoslav team for the Nations Cup. Got a few on the jj.net admin thread,two more for saying I don't mind when someone negreps me with a normal comment and now I lost about 10 points because people do not like my level.

gg

I did complain to the admins but they didn't consider it to be flaming/against the rules. Just remove the reputation feature.

Grytolle
Apr 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
I wanted to give you soem pity rep but apprently I can't rep you right now!

Obi1mcd
Apr 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just remove the reputation feature.

Here's a better idea:
If the reputation system bugs you so much, ignore it.

Lithium
Apr 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
I can ignore it,the others won't. You know you can't post when you gather a lot of negative reputation,right?

By the way,how to give neutral reputation? Got a few of those and I do not know how.

Troglobite
Apr 6, 2011, 11:09 AM
My understanding was that you can always post, regardless of your reputation. However, if you have very low reputation, you can no longer affect other people's reputation. You can still give them rep, but it just comes out as neutral.

Torkell
Apr 6, 2011, 12:32 PM
My understanding was that you can always post, regardless of your reputation. However, if you have very low reputation, you can no longer affect other people's reputation. You can still give them rep, but it just comes out as neutral.
Correct. You can always post, but you have to have made at least 100 posts and have at least 10 rep for giving rep to have any affect (otherwise you just give/take 0 rep).

Lithium, if you've got complaints about specific reputation comments then drop me a PM and I'll check them out.