PDA

View Full Version : I'm still here and I have a question

GoldRabbit
Apr 12, 2011, 04:31 AM
I am trying to make a scrolling layer in JCS with Y-speed = 1, Auto Y-speed = 0, X-speed = 0 and Auto X-speed = -3. However, with these settings, when the player runs to the right the layer scrolls faster and when the player runs to the left the layer scrolls backwards. How can I make it so that even when the player is running the relative movement of the layer is not changed, so that it goes the same way and speed at all times?

Seren
Apr 12, 2011, 05:37 AM
It's an annoying bug which you can't fix (as long as it's not textured layer 8 in which case there probably is some chance, I don't know the specifics though).

EvilMike
Apr 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
I am trying to make a scrolling layer in JCS with Y-speed = 1, Auto Y-speed = 0, X-speed = 0 and Auto X-speed = -3. However, with these settings, when the player runs to the right the layer scrolls faster and when the player runs to the left the layer scrolls backwards. How can I make it so that even when the player is running the relative movement of the layer is not changed, so that it goes the same way and speed at all times?

That's not quite what is happening.

When you set an auto-scroll speed to any layer that isn't 8, the regular scrolling for that axis is always treated as if it is 0 (which you have set it to anyway). This means that the background will scroll on its own, but the player's movement will have _no_ effect on the background scrolling.

In your level, this means that when you run to the left or the right, the background's auto-scrolling is unaffected (it will move at the same speed that it was when you were standing still). Often, this makes it appear is if it is moving more quickly when you run in its direction, or even moving backwards, but this is just an optical illusion. The bg layer itself is not actually moving any faster or slower!

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about this. You might try setting a higher or lower speed... the illusion caused by how jj2 handles auto-scrolling is a bit less easy to notice when the background is moving very quickly (or very slowly). The effect is worst when the background scrolls at about the same speed as you can run.