PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Goal

FireSworD
Aug 9, 2011, 05:22 AM
Anyone want to help me (yes, a collaboration with potentially lots of people) take a crack at making a level "worthy" of a 10 rating for J2O?

Opinions are taken into account, although there is such a thing as "quality". Think about it like this: You have two photographic quality images, and the scenery varies greatly between the two, so it's up to you to decide which image you like the most (your opinion). There may be such a thing as quality pertaining to what is on each picture, but the point still stands that both pictures are of the same level of "quality". So, by that logic, we should be able to make a level "worthy" of a 10 rating.

I am bringing up topics such as this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=17997), this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=12688), and this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=19182). It's important to have solid ground, so we can "model" the level.

Not everyone may be able to help out. I am looking for especially imaginative people. Is your thinking along creative lines? - Do you get the core concepts of things? - Here's a test: Take the concept of a hotel level: A conventional hotel level may use a set like Hotel Dream, has rooms, and a shop etc. However, the concept of a hotel may apply to something that would use a set like Haunted House, (if it has letter or other essential tiles for the gametype) or maybe Deserto Orbital Base (part of devres: Rebirth of Evil) could work as a hotel since the general structure resembles one (it has rooms, an elevator, other sectors etc). Another example is a set made specifically for hotels was used to make a CTF level (Anarchy Inn). It's important to be imaginative since no one has really made a level worth a 10, thus a level worthy of a 10 rating will be quite original.

I suggest we make a CTF level, since a lot of people have experience in making it, and it's quite standardized with many aspects (battle is very simple, and harder to pin down). As for the level's tileset: Preferably something very versatile and rather close to being photo-realistic that doesn't clash with JJ2 sprites (maybe 7th Lava Fall graphics-wise? - Maybe 7th Lava Fall could be used?).

Lastly, I want to add that a Very Great CTF level will be conceptually consummate, meaning that we are aiming for an all-versatile CTF level, not just a properly playable one. For example, you can make a symmetrical ctf level that has a few congruent platforms, an intuitive design, flawless flow, yet you can still enhance the level by adding turrets, or you can enhance the central area into a hub that will link you to even more paths (versatility).

Obi1mcd
Aug 9, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hmm. To be honest, I think the title fits perfectly. It would be pretty impossible to make a 'perfect' CTF level. Or any other level, for that matter. However, it would be interesting to try.
I've thought about what makes levels have higher ratings, and I agree with the points you mentioned above. A great CTF level would be versatile enough for varying numbers of players, reward strategic players, and that sort of thing. But I really think you're going to struggle to make an ideal level. After all, it's a matter of the reviewers in the end. Not saying that people couldn't make a level that's actually worthy of a 10 and most people will agree on, but it would be incredibly difficult.

Jgke
Aug 9, 2011, 07:04 AM
Well, I can come help with this, though I oppose 7th Lava Fall. I just don't like that tileset so much... How about something like WTF, Windstorm Fortress or something like that?

FireSworD
Aug 9, 2011, 07:39 AM
Desolation is another option (discounting the soil and organic scenery?). I suggest we use something nearly photo-realistic though.

cooba
Aug 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
I suggest we use something nearly photo-realistic though.That would not get a 10 from me because nothing else in JJ2 is photorealistic.

FOX292
Aug 9, 2011, 08:19 AM
you can use Phantasmagoria, its hard to use, but you can make a wonderland-like lvl.

And this tileset is tsf only...

Obi1mcd
Aug 9, 2011, 08:24 AM
I agree with cooba, a more cartoony tileset should be used. Perhaps an Agama one, although they're obviously pretty overused.

FireSworD
Aug 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
I totally understand why a cartoony set would fit JJ2 better than a photo-realistic one. I'm thinking of something near photo quality that doesn't clash with JJ2 sprites. My thoughts on photo-realistic graphics in JJ2 (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18660). Anyway, I am really liking the idea of using desolation for the level, simply because it's so versatile.

Jgke
Aug 9, 2011, 11:13 AM
I don't consider any good tileset photo-realistic, because of the palette limitations in JJ2. Actually any attempt at photo-realism in JJ2 (that I have seen) are actually rather ugly (imo) (sorry snz)
And why are you claiming that the bricks in Desolation are photo-realistic?

FireSworD
Aug 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not claiming they are really photo-realistic (lol). They are reasonably detailed though.

Jgke
Aug 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
Indeed they are, but why would you oppose the grass/soil tiles? Imo they fit JJ2 perfectly.

Ragnarok!
Aug 9, 2011, 02:01 PM
Err, my only response to not using grass/soil tiles is that in Desolation it's hard to make them feel placed as a natural cause and they instead seem very forced when used in Desolation levels... Except in GMatch... God I hate Blur... :(

FireSworD
Aug 9, 2011, 07:45 PM
Because I have a certain theme in mind if we use desolation (and yes they are a tad far from the "near photo realistic standard"), and using the organic scenery with the soil might ruin it. If you have a better idea please tell.

Also, we haven't really decided on a set yet, so suggestions for other sets are welcome.