PDA

View Full Version : Beta testers needed

minmay
Nov 9, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm nearing completion of a fairly large level pack, but it will need a lot of playtesting before release. So there will be a semi-public beta test: a few people will get the levels and host them on public servers for anyone to play, but they won't be available on J2O or anything.

Volunteer in this thread. Testers need to be able to do the following:

-Host a public JJ2 server
-Be able to organize at least 6 reasonably experienced players at one time (the levels need to work well with large numbers - more players is ideal, but not necessary)
-Give feedback on the levels themselves (how they look and play, etc.)
-Not be people I hate

12/21/11 update: The pack consists of 5 Bank Robbery levels and 5 Jailbreak levels, all of medium size. I still need testers!

edit: yes this requires JJ2+ (i didn't bother mentioning this because i didn't think there was a single person who reads the forums and doesn't have JJ2+ apparently i was wrong)

Ragnarok!
Nov 9, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'd be all up for helping test, my only issue is that I have no idea what the pack is and I'd need to set up my hosting every time I wanna host (which only my dad knows how to do), and I can't do that for about 2 hours. :P

Oh also you may hate me.

minmay
Nov 9, 2011, 09:17 AM
I'd be all up for helping test, my only issue is that I have no idea what the pack is
I guess I should have mentioned this in the OP, but I don't think I want to divulge much more detail about the pack itself right now.

Ragnarok!
Nov 9, 2011, 11:08 AM
(As long as its MP i'm happy, I suck with SP feedback)

Jgke
Nov 9, 2011, 12:42 PM
I can host too, my host speeds are though rather questionable. Haven't tested after the firmware update on our router so it might be better now...

minmay
Dec 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
I've sent out the first beta version (it contains the whole pack). I'm now willing to say a bit more about the pack itself.
There are 10 levels: five Bank Robbery levels and five Jailbreak levels. They're of medium size, intended for between 6 and 16 players. I'm hoping to release some time in January, probably closer to the end of the month than to the start.

I still need some more volunteers in this thread.

Love & Thunder
Dec 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
If it requires JJ2+, then I can't. If it doesn't require JJ2+, then I'm in!

Sean
Dec 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
If it requires JJ2+, then I can't.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/103/8/4/yao_ming_meme_new_version_hd_by_guillersevilla-d3dwein.png (http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2+)

Love & Thunder
Dec 24, 2011, 09:15 AM
Dude, I know how to get JJ2+, but I don't want it. I know it has all these benefits, but it's illegal. So, my previous point stands: I will not be able to do this if it requires JJ2+, so does it?
(Sorry if this sounds mean, especially this near to Christmas)

Stijn
Dec 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
How is JJ2+ illegal?

Sean
Dec 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
It's not illegal in any way or form. We did not hack the source code out to patch it. It's perfectly legal. So get it now.

Jgke
Dec 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
And you even need the original game to use it, as it is only a patch, not a game? So in what way would it be illegal?

cooba
Dec 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
The JJ2 license mentions it's unallowed to reverse engineer the game.

And also that it's unallowed to make and upload level packs, and look how many people that stopped! :rolleyes:

Jgke
Dec 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
And also that it's unallowed to make and upload level packs
[citation_needed]​​​

minmay
Dec 24, 2011, 03:35 PM
license.doc mentions "Jazz Jack Rabbit" by name which should really make it not legally binding

Stijn
Dec 24, 2011, 03:43 PM
[citation_needed]​​​
4. Restrictions. Other than as provided specifically in this Agreement, You are not permitted to copy or otherwise reproduce this SOFTWARE; modify or prepare derivative copies based on the SOFTWARE; distribute copies of the SOFTWARE by sale or other transfer of ownership; rent, lease, or lend the SOFTWARE; or to display the SOFTWARE publicly. You are expressly prohibited from transmitting this SOFTWARE electronically or otherwise over the Internet or through any other media or to any other party. You are expressly prohibited from creating, using or selling any unauthorized level packs, add-on packs or sequels based upon or related to the SOFTWARE.

To what extent this is all legally binding depends on country and such, of course.

CelL
Dec 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well shit. Guess we're all going to jail.

Sean
Dec 24, 2011, 05:19 PM
We're all going to get gang rap- I MEAN prosecuted.

Jgke
Dec 25, 2011, 01:15 AM
add-on packs

So JJ2+ actually does break the license. But as far as I know, they can only take away our right to play JJ2, nothing else:+