PDA

View Full Version : [Major Contest] Single Screen Contest III

plunK
Jan 14, 2012, 06:14 PM
Well it's been over 2 and a half years since the last time I held a contest. Havent seen any contests around lately, so I figured I'd host one.

First off you're probably thinking this is some lame contest, so I will immediately entice you by saying that the Grand Prize will be:
Free Game(s) on Steam adding up to a total retail value of 40USD$ (Maybe 50 if I feel extra generous later on). There will also be a smaller for runners up

So now that you are probably enticed lets get on to some rules:
The objective is to make the best map that fits into a level size that is a minimum of (20w by 15h) and a maximum of (40w by 30h).

EDIT: 1.23 or 1.23+ ONLY please

There will be two (2) categories of entry:
-Best Control-Based map (CTF, DOM)
-Best Combat-Based map (Battle, Last-Rabbit Standing)
If you are inspired to make a puzzle or mechanical map (such as Troglobite's Rock-Paper-Scissors map entered in the last contest), it will likely be inserted into the Control-Based, unless I get 4 or more in which case I will add a third category.
Just to make sure you read all these boring rules, as usual your level requires a confirmation item. This time around your level REQUIRES: one (1) Gem-Ring event, length 8 somewhere in your map (visible or not, I will check JCS)
Also your level MUST have music. It just helps the feeling.

You may enter as many maps as you'd like, but remember Quality >> Quantity
Now how will the process work?
You will have 4 weeks to create and submit maps, making the deadline February 11th at 11:59pm GMT -7. Because us here in the Jazz Community all have some opinions and experience, the decision on will be an open vote. Voting will last for one week, making votes due by February 18th at 11:59th GMT -7. The results will be announced within a week (likely the 23rd as I have that day off work). while the community votes on the 2 categories, I will make my personal decision on prizes based upon the top 3 maps from each category.

How do I submit my map?
Upload your map to j2o before February 11th, with the format:
[SS3] {insert whatever youd usually call it}
How do I vote?
Between February 12th and 18th Private Message me you top Five(5) choices numbered in order. Placement will fall on a scaled voting system by priority. Because this has a relatively substantial prize I prefer PM's due to privacy. I will, however post daily score updates. Votes posted in a thread will be disregarded, as well as votes before the voting period. While ratings and reviews on the j2o download page will not affect the voting, reviews with valid arguements may affect my choice of winner after the votes are cast.

What if I don't have Steam?
-Download it. Its free, simple, legal and very handy with tens of thousands of games.
-Contact me. We'll work out a deal.

What if I just uploaded a map or made one in the past?
If it is proven that the item was previously uploaded at any time, ALL your entries will be disqualified.

Anything else I missed? Feel free to ask me!

Best of luck competitors! I will be entering but will be uneligable to win.

Also, if an Admin could frontpage this ASAP, that would be pretty cool of them too ;)

Sean
Jan 14, 2012, 07:44 PM
Man, I'd so love to do this, but I'm trying to focus on the Homestuck music contest with a roughly similar deadline. :(

Obi1mcd
Jan 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
Just to clarify:
The objective is to make the best map that fits into a level size that is a minimum of (20w by 15h) and a maximum of (40w by 30h).

So the level can be larger than one screen so long as it's less than 40x30?

I might enter, although multiplayer levels aren't my thing. The prize is enough motivation for me to have a decent go at it though.

Troglobite
Jan 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
I remember the previous single screen contests. Good times. And the prize is quite impressive this time. It's too bad I haven't touched JCS in quite a while.

plunK
Jan 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
Just to clarify:

So the level can be larger than one screen so long as it's less than 40x30?.

Exactly. the first Single Screen contest was actually one screen, and it was a bit constricting. The second time I used the 40x30 max and it had much more impressive results and interest (18 entries I think). Anywhere in that range.

As for your predicament Sean, I strongly encourage you continue with the music contest. However with that said, I like the small map size idea because with the right idea you could make a quality map in a short time. Definitely focus on the music contest, but if you have even 10 spare minutes now and then over a month you might still be able to do both. Either way have fun =P!

Lithium
Jan 15, 2012, 01:54 AM
The reward is right what I need! I'm totally in!

Sean
Jan 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately even then it would be pretty tough. Even after putting all other ongoing projects on hold to focus on the one with a deadline, I manage to find ways to goof off and not make real progress. The only way for me to get any good entries into the music contest would be no distractions.

Stijn
Jan 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Also, if an Admin could frontpage this ASAP, that would be pretty cool of them too ;)

http://www.jazz2online.com/rabbitJournal/

plunK
Jan 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/rabbitJournal/

ooooh thanks. It's been a while so I forgot about the RabbitJournal system.

Lithium
Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6878/ss3-heat-shrine/

My entry.

KRSplat
Jan 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
YOu won't consider a Chat room/Dance party, then?

djazz
Jan 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
This time around your level REQUIRES: one (1) Gem-Ring event, length 8 somewhere in your map

Can it be created using MCE?
Why length 8? Length and Speed parameters doesn't do anything (which is why i removed those parameters from WebJCS's JCS.ini)
Also, for parameters, it is required to be a non-generating event.
Can it be put on the far left/bottom of the level so the only way to find out they exists is to use the level editor?
<s>Can I have more gem-rings than one?</s>
:cool:

Lithium
Jan 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the purple gem was better :(

That's when I missed the deadline :(

Camou
Jan 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
Interesting :) curious to see what people make.

Ktos.
Jan 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wait, what the hell do you mean by "Length 8"? I don't get it at all, missed it when I was reading rules.

Lithium
Jan 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
When you set the gem ring event, you can specify its' length, but I think you have already done that because you already uploaded your level.

Ktos.
Jan 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
... Uh, I can? Maybe in not edited JCS.ini or what, since it seems it haven't got any use at all. Can't it just be gem ring?

Obi1mcd
Jan 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
You can specify a 'length' parameter, but it does nothing.

Sean
Jan 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
...then I suddenly had an epiphany of a heavily gimmick-based map that would probably work out. I'm in.

PT32
Jan 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
I probably won't build any levels (since I'm already working on several unrelated big ones), but I can definitely provide music for any competitor who wishes to utilize custom songs. Just send me a personal message with your e-mail address, your level's title and what kind/type/style of song you want me to create, and I'll see what I can whip up.

So if you happen to read this, plunK, you can put in your thread that PT32 is willing to furnish custom music for the contest.

Ragnarok!
Jan 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
Count me in. :>

Sean
Jan 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
One more thing. Are multiple submissions allowed?

Violet CLM
Jan 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
You may enter as many maps as you'd like, but remember Quality >> Quantity
there was literally no line in the entire post more emphasized than this one

Sean
Jan 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ahah. Stupid me. Thanks Violet.

plunK
Jan 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
The gem ring was just a check to make sure you actually read part of the rules. It doesnt need to be visible at all, just findable in JCS. Just ignore the length if its that big a deal, I'll remove the post

cooba
Jan 21, 2012, 05:17 AM
I'm most likely going to enter but voting by PM worries me. Why not make it like the JCS awards (vote in the thread and immediately hide the post)?

Sean
Jan 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
Today you guys get... RICKROLLED (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6883/ss3-the-collaboration/).

That's my entry by the way. And the music choice is a serious one. Don't judge.

Ragnarok!
Jan 22, 2012, 05:33 AM
The thread says this has to be either control/combat, while the frontpage of J2O says it can be any MP... I'm confused as to whether my entry is valid (but I don't really wanna shout out what I'm doing here, am I allowed any MP?)

Obi1mcd
Jan 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
There will be two (2) categories of entry:
-Best Control-Based map (CTF, DOM)
-Best Combat-Based map (Battle, Last-Rabbit Standing)
If you are inspired to make a puzzle or mechanical map (such as Troglobite's Rock-Paper-Scissors map entered in the last contest), it will likely be inserted into the Control-Based, unless I get 4 or more in which case I will add a third category.

You can probably do whatever you like, and shove it into one of the above categories.

plunK
Jan 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm most likely going to enter but voting by PM worries me. Why not make it like the JCS awards (vote in the thread and immediately hide the post)?

Yeah a couple people have. I'm afraid i am not familiar with what you mean by hiding posts though (somehow thats never come up in my time here). Could you explain how it works?

The thread says this has to be either control/combat, while the frontpage of J2O says it can be any MP... I'm confused as to whether my entry is valid (but I don't really wanna shout out what I'm doing here, am I allowed any MP?)

You can probably do whatever you like, and shove it into one of the above categories.

Exactly. I wasn't sure how many custom concept type maps would be made, so the idea was that they would be placed in other categories unless enough of them were submitted.

Toni_
Jan 23, 2012, 08:58 AM
I agree on voting like cooba said. It's impossible to cheat that way, or.. make a wrong calculation! :)

plunK
Jan 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
I agree on voting like cooba said. It's impossible to cheat that way, or.. make a wrong calculation! :)

I agree, I do like this idea. So would a moderator read through the hidden votes and then PM me the results every few days?

n0
Jan 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Ho dang. I may just enter. Just need a crazy idea like I did last time. (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6332/20x15/)

Obi1mcd
Feb 3, 2012, 11:33 PM
Okay, my entry is finished.

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/info.php?levelID=6903

Love & Thunder
Feb 5, 2012, 09:27 AM
Is there any restriction on nationality for entries of this contest?

Sean
Feb 5, 2012, 10:14 AM
Nope.

Toni_
Feb 6, 2012, 02:13 AM
Robo, what made you think of that?

Love & Thunder
Feb 6, 2012, 02:19 AM
I was going to enter, but I just spotted the restriction against TSF(Which is the only version I own).

If you were referring to the fact that I thought there would be a reigional restriction, that's because the currency is in USD, while I use GBP.

EDIT: I was also being a bit of a git at the time.

Ktos.
Feb 6, 2012, 04:10 AM
@Obi, just wait for Laro's 7.5 review.

Ragnarok!
Feb 6, 2012, 04:43 AM
LOL

Toni_
Feb 11, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just one question, will we vote in this thread or in another one if you're going to open it?

plunK
Feb 11, 2012, 11:11 AM
Just one question, will we vote in this thread or in another one if you're going to open it?

I am going to make another thread for voting in around 8 hours or so.