PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Jackrabbit on Mac?

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 05:55 AM
Sorry for making a new topic, but I think this is a different subject altogether.

You see, I just tried running Jazz Jackrabbit in DOSBox on my Windows XP virtual machine on my Mac, and it ran perfectly fine, except for one thing: Jumping is very unresponsive. I can only jump when I first hold down alt (jump key) and then press a direction key. Which is kind of annoying.

I also have the same issue with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (again on my Windows XP VM), except it's even worse because it only seems to jump when it feels like it.

Has an issue like this ever been reported, or is there a solution? It's a really weird problem. Jazz 1 is playable (if I get accustomed to the weird jumping thing), but Jazz 2 is pretty much impossible.

Violet CLM
Dec 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
Try assigning jump to a key other than alt?

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 11:02 AM
I've tried that, and it works for Jazz 1, but doesn't make much difference for Jazz 2.

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
Which Virtual Machine program are you using now?

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
Parallels Desktop. I'm playing DOS games through DOS Box on a Windows XP virtual machine, which works fine, but Jazz 2 has the jumping thing.

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 12:27 PM
Are you tried a different virtual machine program?

Sword of Spirit
Dec 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
Forgive me if this isn't 100% on topic, but it's what I immediately thought of when I saw the topic.

Have you submitted a request to Good Old Games? (It's my first post so they won't let me use the actual link.)

They've started making many of their games Mac compatible (including Tyrian I believe). If anyone is going to get Jazz Jackrabbit running perfectly on a Mac, they will.

Violet CLM
Dec 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
<a href="http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/jazz_jackrabbit_1">It's not on GOG.</a>

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 01:17 PM
The Jazz on the GOG.com but just requested.

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
Are you tried a different virtual machine program?

I wouldn't know which one, the only one I could think of is VMWare, and it's not very good on Mac.

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
Do you know the Virtualbox?

Slaz
Dec 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
ForJJ2, try some different settings like turning off DirectSound or toggle Hardware Accelleration. Or try 8 bit mode to see if it makes a difference in playability. It's all done from the options menu (or menu bar in windowed mode).

It might me a good thing to fully avoid the Alt key in Windows games these days, it triggers the menu bar and could trigger a lot of other actions if accidently pressed together with other buttons. Try using Z for jump, X for shoot. Works comfortable for JJ2! :7

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 02:01 PM
Do you know the Virtualbox?

Haven't tried that yet, is it any good?

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
I used the Virtualbox on Linux and Windows. I think better than Vmware.

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
ForJJ2, try some different settings like turning off DirectSound or toggle Hardware Accelleration. Or try 8 bit mode to see if it makes a difference in playability. It's all done from the options menu (or menu bar in windowed mode).

It might me a good thing to fully avoid the Alt key in Windows games these days, it triggers the menu bar and could trigger a lot of other actions if accidently pressed together with other buttons. Try using Z for jump, X for shoot. Works comfortable for JJ2! :7

What do you know, that actually worked! I put it to hardware acceleration and put Z as the jump key, and it works perfect now.

Thanks guys.

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 02:07 PM
Your welcome. If you have problem write a massage for me. Okay?

JustRob
Dec 8, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sure, you bet!

burnout92
Dec 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
All right! :D

Jgke
Dec 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
Another solution would be Wine (http://www.winehq.org/). It <strike>emulates</strike> allows you to use windows programs in non-windows computers, for example Macs.

burnout92
Dec 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
I had was problem with Wine because when i tried to run Jazz 2 on Linux (OpenSuse 12.4) i get a error and throw back to the Linux.

Jgke
Dec 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Ah, using the flag -nosound would fix it, but guess you wouldn't want to do that :P

djazz
Dec 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
I use the following command when playing JJ2 on linux (which I do 95% of the time, hardly ever boot into Windows anymore).

Jazz2+.exe -windowed -noddraw -menu -noddrawmemcheck -noerrtrap -nocpucheck

MrAlextov
Dec 12, 2012, 04:10 AM
If you have VirtualBox there is Host Key (Default is shift). Try to change it.

burnout92
Dec 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
I use the following command when playing JJ2 on linux (which I do 95% of the time, hardly ever boot into Windows anymore).

Jazz2+.exe -windowed -noddraw -menu -noddrawmemcheck -noerrtrap -nocpucheck

All right i will try if i have much time. :D