PDA

View Full Version : First Anniversary bash you attended.

Treylina
Apr 17, 2014, 01:06 PM
Polls are fun. So, here's another poll. Originally, I was going to put the ones you attended, but there's only max 15 options.

Pardon me if I made any errors. I couldn't find any general infomation on AB, because the encyclopedia search function is borked.

Vegito
Apr 17, 2014, 01:27 PM
Well, I don't actually remember. I started playing jj2 back in 2000, so I assume I attended at least AB3 or AB4 without actually knowing :).

PurpleJazz
Apr 17, 2014, 01:27 PM
Don't forget to add a 1996 option for Emp :P

My first was AB9 (2007). I don't really remember it very well apart from being pleased that I managed to get a level (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/4642/subterrestrial-v11/) of mine onto the bash list despite still being relatively new.

cooba
Apr 17, 2014, 01:31 PM
Bash 7, and I was really sad that it wasn't as cool or big as the near mythical Bash 6 that I only could see screenshots of :(

Treylina
Apr 17, 2014, 01:35 PM
Talking of the bash, where's the missing packs? Some of them are fairly recent, like 2010 (or at least, it doesn't show up in search). It would be nice to look back on it as an archive. Maybe one day, I'll host a server going through all of them, starting from the very first (preferrably during the holidays). Just for nostalgia, and to see how much level standards have evolved.

I forgot to take screenshots, minus a bug. I got out of the habit of taking memento screenshots in JJ2 years ago. Usually I only take them to showcase my projects and show abnormalties. Have a lousy screenshot from this years bash.

http://s28.postimg.org/aijxjc8nx/someglitch.png

Also, what's with the additional C's in this pack? http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7277/-/

Violet CLM
Apr 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
Also, what's with the additional C's in this pack? http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7277/-/
"<strong>C</strong>lassic." That's the 10th anniversary, so there were additional packs drawn from JJ2's history instead of only the past twelve months or so.

As for the thread's question: dunno.

Stijn
Apr 17, 2014, 01:55 PM
No clue, but I played online since 1999, so I suppose the first or second.

I put together the list of classic levels you linked to, by the way! That was a lot of fun, lots of levels I'm still fond of in there.

Stijn
Apr 17, 2014, 02:00 PM
By the way, this place is as good as any to ask this question, how come you all get download URLs ending in /-/? It's supposed to put the download name there, most of the time.

cooba
Apr 17, 2014, 02:23 PM
Derby's vengeful gh(-)st has descended upon J2O

Treylina
Apr 17, 2014, 02:26 PM
By the way, this place is as good as any to ask this question, how come you all get download URLs ending in /-/? It's supposed to put the download name there, most of the time.

It's been like that for a while. It's a J2O bug. It comes from clicking on levels using the search function.

No clue, but I played online since 1999, so I suppose the first or second.

I put together the list of classic levels you linked to, by the way! That was a lot of fun, lots of levels I'm still fond of in there.
What previous bashes were they from? Or I guess you forgot that, too. 23 levels doesn't seem like much, or quite a lot for the first year.

Does that mean the levelmaking scene was less active back then? Or had less quality levels, I guess.

Violet CLM
Apr 17, 2014, 02:40 PM
The readme.txt file in that zip gives the publication years for the classic levels.

Treylina
Apr 17, 2014, 03:20 PM
I had an idea. Maybe I could upload the 2010 bash pack for archival purposes. After all, all the files are lying around in my cache.

(I have no idea who organised the levellist for it).

Stijn
Apr 18, 2014, 12:56 AM
What previous bashes were they from? Or I guess you forgot that, too. 23 levels doesn't seem like much, or quite a lot for the first year.

Does that mean the levelmaking scene was less active back then? Or had less quality levels, I guess.
Well, there was a limit of 2 levels per year, to not make the pack too big.

And what Violet said, the readme has more info on each level.

KRSplatinum
Apr 18, 2014, 01:18 AM
I vaguely remember the 2000 bash from my old bash files, but in 1999 I was still playing single player campaign for JJ2, and when I beat it the list servers were down for winter. I was 8 by the time I played online, which was 14 years ago - gee, how time flies is a mystery.

DoubleGJ
Apr 18, 2014, 08:09 AM
AB4 was my first. I started playing online in 2001, but not in time for that year's edition.

ShadowGPW
Apr 18, 2014, 09:28 AM
Sadly guys, I didn't make it on time with my map. However, now I can dedicate it for quality.

My first is AB1999, aka ''Jeh must Die!'' I've constructed the AB2 mappack with stripe and wakeman as advisors. Also introduced the battlelevels in AB! :)

@ Trey:
http://www.jazz2online.com/d3/abpast.htm

...but it needs to be updated, it only has info from AB1 to AB9.

*kuch* if some admin would grant me access, I gladly would update it :]

Treylina
Apr 18, 2014, 10:55 AM
Well, there was a limit of 2 levels per year, to not make the pack too big.

And what Violet said, the readme has more info on each level.

2 levels per year in J2O? Or, max 2 levels by the same author every bash?

Also, are people okay with me uploading the 2010 bash pack?

KRSplatinum
Apr 18, 2014, 11:28 AM

During the 1999-2000 era, J2C was the premier level hosting site. Wakeman allowed uploads via email and he rated them and reviewed them. The quality wasn't that good, but we got famous levels like BBSWING and BBLAIR during that era. I had 2 levels hosted on J2C, KRSplat's Hideout (2 stars) and Tubular Haze (3 stars).

Tubular Haze was supposed to use Jimi Hendrix's song Purple Haze, but I don't have the file anymore and .mp3 wasn't supported at that time. :P

Stijn
Apr 19, 2014, 01:56 AM
2 levels per year in J2O? Or, max 2 levels by the same author every bash?

Also, are people okay with me uploading the 2010 bash pack?
The classic pack that was included with the 10th anniversary had two levels from each year since JJ2's release. I don't think there was an explicit limit per author, though obviously we tried to include a variety of authors.

Do upload them to J2O, the more packs available there the better.

GoldRabbit
Apr 19, 2014, 08:46 AM
Bash 7 was the first one for me. Notably (and sadly...), this year's bash is the first I've missed.

Slaz
Apr 20, 2014, 11:55 PM
As far as I can remember, AB 6 was the first one I briefly showed myself in, though I'm not entirely sure about AB 5. I only played in random weekends through dial-up in 2003. :P

ShadowGPW
Apr 23, 2014, 06:50 AM
:+ what was your favo AB?

Treylina
Apr 23, 2014, 08:38 AM
..I don't remember the previous bashes too well. I'll say this years is my favourite, as this may be the one where I interacted the most (okay, I admit the queen boss hack was funny for a while). Infact, the thing I remember the most from previous bashes was spotting Neobeo and Overlord/cpp. Did they appear this year?

Ragnarok!
Apr 23, 2014, 08:59 AM
Best AB was 10 imo...

Slaz
Apr 24, 2014, 12:40 PM
:+ what was your favo AB?

That got to be one of the more recent ones, as I spend more time playing in those. Hard to make 1 choice. :p

It may be AB 11, I remember it had some server issues but enough oldies and fun talk to make it memorable. AB 14 was a good one for me too, and was featured (http://epicgames.com/community/2012/04/jazz-jackrabbit-2-anniversary-bash/) by the Epic staff! This year's main course was to play the scripted levels with tons of people, which made it another memorable Bash.

Stijn
Apr 24, 2014, 12:45 PM
I still have fond memories of 10, but that may simply be because that's the one I was most involved with.

VashTheStampede
Apr 27, 2014, 11:36 PM
I remember playing this online with Viper in 98 after it came out. He got it literally the day it was released and we were huddled around his dad's PC at like 3 AM playing like crazy 2 players on one keyboard ha ha ha.

Answered 2003, because that was the first year I had my own PC that had internet and I don't remember Bash'ing before that.

Derby's vengeful gh(-)st has descended upon J2O

This made me shudder a bit.

Ah the old Ban-horse. Banned my friend's accounts thinking they were me.

What ever happened to him?

CrimiClown
Apr 29, 2014, 03:39 PM
I remember 2002, AB4. I was not registered with the forums yet and it took me a while to register with the upload site entirely, but I slowly became a part of the community after that bash.

Ah, good times, good times.

stripe
Sep 26, 2014, 03:26 PM

(hey guys!)

Treylina
Sep 26, 2014, 08:57 PM
Oh, hi. You might want to check out my contest idea if you're still interested in levelmaking.

Anyway, I got reminded to upload the 2010 ab pack, and here it is finally:

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7427/2010-anniversary-bash-12-pack/

Stijn
Sep 27, 2014, 02:18 AM
Hey stripe! Long time no see :)

PT32
Sep 27, 2014, 10:07 AM
You know, I never really got into the multiplayer JJ2 scene (was always more of a levelmaking enthusiast), but as I've gotten older I've really started to appreciate this community more. I've been telling myself the last couple years, "I should try the Bash this time"...maybe I actually will this year.

Olsen
Sep 28, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'd like to believe it was AB6, since I registered here in 2004 and I remember playing online that year, meeting several cool people (like Ragnarok!) for the first time. It's entirely possible I missed that years bash and only saw AB7 and forwards, but I'm guessing AB6.

ShadowGPW
Sep 29, 2014, 02:24 AM
Jeh must die!

DarkSonic
Sep 29, 2014, 05:28 AM
Oh, hi. You might want to check out my contest idea if you're still interested in levelmaking.

Anyway, I got reminded to upload the 2010 ab pack, and here it is finally:

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7427/2010-anniversary-bash-12-pack/

I didn't even know it was not on J2O until now. I was the one who organized AB12 :cool:

AB6 was my first Bash :D

Treylina
Sep 29, 2014, 08:40 AM
I didn't even know it was not on J2O until now. I was the one who organized AB12 :cool:

AB6 was my first Bash :D

Oh, so that's who made it. I updated the info on the upload.

I think it's a good idea to always upload the bash levellist, especially if it has big files like Mp3s and oggs.

shaney
Sep 29, 2014, 10:41 AM
Ah well maybe just maybe i will be back in like a week for short periods when im wih my bf in the weekends i dont have internet and btw

If u thought i was dead think again hahahahaha

Stijn
Sep 29, 2014, 01:49 PM
Oh, so that's who made it. I updated the info on the upload.

I think it's a good idea to always upload the bash levellist, especially if it has big files like Mp3s and oggs.
It probably was hosted somewhere else at the time; J2O didn't allow uploads as big as that back then, I think.

Vegito
Feb 19, 2015, 01:03 AM
Is there a place where the AB screenshots are stored btw? Or anyone know where I can find any?