PDA

View Full Version : LGR - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - PC Game Review

Sun Fun Dude
Jul 10, 2014, 04:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Ky1y4f1yE

LRG has just posted his review of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 :-) It's a very nice look at the game.

Love & Thunder
Jul 10, 2014, 07:02 PM
That video hasn't been released outside of the Patreon supporters, so you might want to remove the link until it's actually listed(Since early access to videos is one of the incentives to support him on Patreon).

Sean
Jul 11, 2014, 01:40 AM
I have to say it genuinely warmed my heart that he brought up our current online community and JJ2+ in particular. I recall something Urbs once said, that no matter how much it seemed like the game was going to die, there has always been some resurgence in players that keeps this Frankenstein of a game alive. Perhaps this is the latest incarnation!

Sun Fun Dude
Jul 11, 2014, 04:12 AM
That video hasn't been released outside of the Patreon supporters, so you might want to remove the link until it's actually listed(Since early access to videos is one of the incentives to support him on Patreon).

I'm not a Patreon supporter, he posted it on Facebook this morning. It's listed now anyway, so it's a moot point.

Slaz
Jul 11, 2014, 05:03 AM
I recall something Urbs once said, that no matter how much it seemed like the game was going to die, there has always been some resurgence in players that keeps this Frankenstein of a game alive. Perhaps this is the latest incarnation!

Nowadays more than ever. It seems as if any random tweet about JJ2 re-electryfies Frankenstein with a new spark of interest for the game.

Sadly, only a small portion of those looking up the game will actually dig deeper and find JJ2+ or any custom level. Of course many short-time players are just looking for a burst of nostalgia and will move on. Still I love how this video review mentions JJ2+ and the community and dares to show the serverlist from 1.22. :p

Love & Thunder
Jul 11, 2014, 05:11 AM
I'm not a Patreon supporter, he posted it on Facebook this morning. It's listed now anyway, so it's a moot point.
I noticed that just after posting; I would have corrected it, but the entire J2O server went down.

Anyway, it is nice to see JJ2 getting recognition, especially with the mentions of J2O and Plus. :)

Treylina
Jul 12, 2014, 10:39 AM
"You can also collect gems to collect points and even extra lives"

Did this guy even try collecting 100 gems if the gaining lives thing is even true? Because it's not. I guess it was in the manual.

It's an average review. Nothing too bad, it goes into some not really needed (and some useful) trivia, and explains the basics for those unfamiliar with the game, and doesn't give much reasoning half of the time. I mean I don't like the TSF levels as much either, though he doesn't go into the actual level design, just the first tileset in the TSF episode. The Christmas level design is very similar to the TSF ones. I still think it's pointless to buy an out of print game though.

I'm grateful for him mentioning plus, though he barely went into it. It especially bothers me since plus fixes some of the issues he mentioned. I wouldn't of cared about plus that much if it was advertised that way to me, because he only makes it seem like it matters to level designers, when it does more than that (and yes, some examples are important for more solid first impressions). I'm having doubts he actually downloaded it.

I could still make a better review. Not out of some ego thing, just that I have a lot of experience and knowledge with JJ2. It probably wouldn't be a video because my voice sounds like a 13 year old boy (and therefore wouldn't be taken seriously) and I have zero video making experience, and afaik WMM sucks.

Sun Fun Dude
Jul 12, 2014, 07:12 PM
So you actually couldn't make a better review, then, could you? You just said you have no experience, you said your voice sucks and you probably couldn't create a nice pleasing video like this one.

Treylina
Jul 12, 2014, 08:29 PM
So you actually couldn't make a better review, then, could you? You just said you have no experience, you said your voice sucks and you probably couldn't create a nice pleasing video like this one.

Review =/= Video

A review doesn't have to be a video. I simply have no experience in making videos, that's all.

Sure, mine wouldn't be entertaining, but more informative. That's what I look for in a review mostly. But then again it seems that by most people, what constitutes as a good review is simply whether they agree with the number rating and the opinions, whether there are backing statements or not.

Stijn
Jul 14, 2014, 02:39 PM
Nice review! Thanks for posting it here, Sun Fun Dude.

Hoodoo456
Jul 14, 2014, 08:47 PM
What a great review.

Louis K
Jul 15, 2014, 09:48 PM
I love their reviews. :7
except their lazy voice..

Sniper
Jul 22, 2014, 02:48 AM
This is an awesome review.