PDA

View Full Version : Current WIP: Jazz' Valley II

oever532
Aug 15, 2014, 06:24 AM
Since I am new here, I have no idea where to correctly place this, so if this has been placed in the wrong forum, feel free to move it to the right one.

Anyway, I've been a long-time player of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and have made my share of custom levels, to which of most of them I look back on in shame. That aside, I'm proud to present a project that will hopefully be one of my better works.

King's Valley II, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 style, or you could say Jazz Valley II

What this means is that I'm attempting to recreate ALL 60 Levels of the King's Valley II game in Jazz Jackrabbit 2, to bring a bit of nostalgia within the game as well as a bit of honoring it.

Here is what you can expect so far:

General:
- 60 Levels full of puzzles
- The general premise is to collect all of the Blue Gems and find the right Trigger Crate to open the door which leads to the next level.
- Certain blocks can only be destroyed with specific weapons
- Some puzzles require a bit of thinking
- There are levels that have secret areas hidden within. Be sure to find them all where they are present, some are even MANDATORY to find in order to progress.
- Easy Mode offers more hidden health pick-ups, Hard mode offers more enemies as obstacles.
- There may be multiple trigger crates around...
- Use your weapons wisely...
- Some levels are small, others are big and require more exploring.
- All levels follow the exact stages of the game it's based on.
- The tileset changes after every 10 levels for added variety, much like how in the original game the tileset changes after every 10 stages (one pyramid = 10 stages, 6 pyramids total)

Enemies:
- There are only four kinds of enemies found in this level series, like there are four enemies only in the King's Valley II game itself.

Current status:
- 48 Levels completed and are being tested and edited where necessary.
- The 12 final levels are yet to be set up.
- All levels are so far tested with Jazz, will be also testing them as Spaz and Lori to see where I can compensate for their different abilities.

Screenshots:
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg536/Tempest-01/JazzValleyIIexample.png

cooba
Aug 15, 2014, 06:43 AM
Looks interesting!

It seems to me that your implementation is just begging to be AngelScripted, though. ;)

oever532
Aug 15, 2014, 06:53 AM
AngelScripted? What does that mean?

Love & Thunder
Aug 15, 2014, 06:58 AM
In the latest version of the JJ2+ (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=19489) patch, a scripting language was added, which is called AngelScript. It can do some pretty incredible things, although it takes a little while to get your head around at first.

oever532
Aug 15, 2014, 07:04 AM
Ah, I understand. I've been making this with using the JCS of the original Jazz Jackrabbit 2, so I apologize for not being up to the level with the next enhancements. ^^;

Love & Thunder
Aug 16, 2014, 12:28 AM
AS is like adding marmite to a peanut butter sandwich; it results in something delicious, but you'll still get a pretty epic sandwich if you don't have any marmite.

... Okay, maybe marmite wasn't the best choice of example, but you get the idea.

oever532
Aug 16, 2014, 01:46 AM
Ah, I see. :) I probably should check it out, or ask for help... :)