PDA

View Full Version : Angelscript forum as a subforum to Plus tracker?

Darkhog
Dec 8, 2017, 01:44 PM
As a replacement for requests and help thread. I think it's highly inefficient way to get help, because of following scenarios that may occur:

- Person A asks a question/makes a request. Then Person B asks something more interesting to answer or discuss and Person A's question never gets answered because it's buried in other questions/requests.
- Person A asks a question. He or she gets an answer, but forgets about the site for some time and since then people B, C, D and E asked questions, got the answers (we assume here that first scenario didn't occur for B, C, D and E for cleaner example). Reply to the Person A's question is several pages back, that person doesn't remember on which page he or she made that question and either a) asks question again (which is waste of everyone's time) or b) finding the answer takes minutes of browsing pages of unrelated questions and answers instead of seconds.

Both of which are easily solvable by a separate section where 1 question/request=1 thread.
In first scenario, someone eventually will look at that thread with several views but no replies and think "hm, I can answer that!" so it'll be solved, even if answer will come after several years.
In the second scenario, asker can either bookmark the thread or (better) setup e-mail notifications for it.

Eventually, every "bundle" thread like this (especially the WIP level thread) should be changed into a section for better organization of data and better searchability. Well, unless it has absolutely nothing to do with JJ, that is (such as, hypothetically, dunno if such thread exists here, threads like "What books are you reading lately?" - these shouldn't be turned into sections since they have nothing to do with JJ and this is a forum/site about JJ).

Seren
Dec 8, 2017, 02:02 PM
I support the one-request-per-thread format. I don't support making it a JJ2+ tracker subforum because script requests are not JJ2+ issues. Scripting already has its forum named JCS & Scripting. As such, I don't think any technical limitations prevent users from already using such a format, should they choose to.

Darkhog
Dec 8, 2017, 02:46 PM
Except I've seen people doing it in the past, then getting directed by Violet or some other person to the thread in question "to not pollute the forum".

Stijn
Dec 8, 2017, 03:12 PM
That usually means the question is so specific that it makes more sense to handle it via PMs or Skype or whatever. There's not enough volume to make a dedicated forum for this. If it's a quick question you can post it in the scripting thread and if not you can open a new thread about it.

Except I've seen people doing it in the past, then getting directed by Violet or some other person to the thread in question "to not pollute the forum".
This is rare enough that opening a new forum to avoid it is overkill.