PDA

View Full Version : GDD : Hi-Concept

Monolith
Nov 5, 2001, 09:13 PM
Because of the continuous question pertaining to 'why don't we make JJ3' and the fact that I'm actually learning this stuff, I decided to try and see what will happen if we try starting at the beginning...

One of the very first things you do when making a game is create the Game Design Document (GDD). What a GDD is, is basically the document that describes exactly what the game is supposed to be like. One of the very first things that appear in a GDD (besides the title and table of contents) is something called the Hi-Concept. The Hi-Concept is simply a <U>20 word or less</U> explicit description of the game. *emphisis on the 20 word limit*

I will first try making one up really quickly to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

<B>JJ3 is a cartoony action/adventure game where the user is an anthropomorph shooting baddies in a 3D environment.</B>

Try to think of something like that that will will accuratly describe what JJ3 should be like. Remember that it is a sequal, so you want to keep it as closely related to the previous games as possible. Avoid using words like 'fun' as they don't mean anything in this. I'll make more comments as people post their ideas.

Also, if anybody knows of any sort of GDD for JJ2 or World Tree's JJ3 (or anything like it) <I>PLEASE</I> tell me so I can read it and see what the original developers had in mind.

Haze
Nov 6, 2001, 02:54 AM
Let's see where this'll go. :)

BTW, if you're looking for official GDD's, why not ask the devs themselves? I don't think they're publically available.
Or maybe you could read-up on some old interviews held with devs while they were in development-stages.

Monolith
Nov 6, 2001, 10:30 PM
So far I haven't managed to find stuff like that, and I'm not sure how to get contacts for the original dev team.

Krezack
Nov 6, 2001, 11:27 PM
This leads to making jj3 which leads to being arrested.

Haze
Nov 7, 2001, 07:19 AM
Nah-uh! :) If Epic won't allow the usage of their (c)'d stuff and trademarks we'd just change the names and the models a bit and voila!
JJ3 is just used as an example that everybody can relate to.

Monolith
Nov 7, 2001, 08:58 PM
The development process has no problems with copywrite. Please, I'm looking for people to come up with ideas here.

Krezack
Nov 7, 2001, 10:20 PM
Sorry sorry :) i think they should have monkeys and frogs as chars say bolop as the frog and meerkey as the monkey
at the start it would say select the race and you could choose the frogs or monkeys or rabits etc
ok no one likes this idea bye :)

purplesheep
Nov 8, 2001, 11:56 AM
&lt;Concept&gt; HELLO MONOLITH, HOW ARE YOU?

ack! sorry! ;)

jb!

Haze
Nov 8, 2001, 12:28 PM
Actually Monolith, it's pretty hard coming up with a better description than the one you've given. :) (well, under 20 words, that is...)

"JJ3 is a cartoony action/adventure game where the user is an anthropomorph shooting baddies in a 3D environment."

It just has that ring to it. ;)

~SPLASH~
Nov 8, 2001, 12:30 PM
"JJ3 is a 3D action/shooter game that was doomed from the start, because the distributor-people all have anti-jazz flu"

:roll:

ElectroPiZZa
Nov 10, 2001, 12:40 PM
<B>JJ3 is a cartoony action<S>/adventure</S> game where the user is an anthropomorph shooting baddies in a 3D environment.</B>

Spaz Boy
Nov 24, 2001, 11:06 AM
Not true. Actually, Noggy didn't want it to die. The problem was "NO PUBLISHER". I have a link to WTG's website. You can contact them there Monolith.

WTG: http://darkfox.dhs.org/~calypso/

They have a small blurb about "The Jazz that Never Was" too. :(